Injuries

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It didn't take too much finding.

“Whilst we’ve had kicks in the teeth with injury after injury, we’ve got to use that as a positive and look at the players who are stepping in, ready for next season. If we didn’t do that and we just moaned about the situation, we wouldn’t be best equipped for next season."

When asked about the prospect of players back from injury in the coming week he replied: “It’s still slow. Vykintas (Slivka) is still feeling it a bit. Martin, I had out for some one on one coaching on Friday. He’s progressing to getting back on grass, though he’s some way from featuring. The quicker we can get him back on the grass the better. He’ll get fitter quicker, he’ll be working with the boys, it’ll be good for him and good for us to have him back. He’s probably the closest. Darren’s (McGregor) still progressing slowly and David’s (Gray) still in the gym just now."

Injury after injury, back on the grass... we have heard it all before
Aye
But
(& not sure why I’m wasting your or my time on this)
Boyle was (long term) injured afore PH was appointed, the Gray injury immediately followed an identical earlier (pre PH) prolonged absence Slivka had a broken ankle from 3 months previous.
Mc Gregor had already previously had 2 cruciate injuries @ knee surgery & had been out with an abdominal injury since August

As I say, not sure why I’m bothering (especially as it involves Embra’s‘wee team’ - shame he did stay longer & fuck em up totally

Still not convinced that he’s previously had (caused) a surfeit of injuries on his watch although the (repeated) language / narrative is intriguing ( disconcerting)

Who are we thinking we will injure tomorrow? Any guesses?

So then, so far:

Palace: Slimane injured. Misses 2 games (a club record low this season)
Forest: Lowe's last appearance. Injured weeks before but played through it. Returns in next few weeks in theory
Man City: Osula's last league appearance. Injured on international duty. Osborn injured, misses 7 weeks (5 games)
Everton: Baldock's last appearance. Injured on international duty
Tottenham: no injuries
Newcastle: no injuries
West Ham: Egan injured: out for "months". T Davies injured in training after this game: out for 4 months at least
Fulham: Basham injured: season over for him. Ahmehodzic injured in training after this game: out for 6 weeks at least. Larouci and A Davies both injured in international break after this game, status unknown
Man Utd: McBurnie injured, though plays on for half an hour. Status unknown

Not played at all: Jebbison, RND, Coulibaly

Bloody hell

"We are getting that done [Independent analysis]. We've been trying for a long time but obviously there is a cost to that," Heckingbottom explained. "We need to do it. Am I thinking they will uncover things? Maybe not."

Rough tranlastion. Even if they tell me what the issues are, I'm not prepared to listen or change.

"We are getting that done [Independent analysis]. We've been trying for a long time but obviously there is a cost to that," Heckingbottom explained. "We need to do it. Am I thinking they will uncover things? Maybe not."

Rough tranlastion. Even if they tell me what the issues are, I'm not prepared to listen or change.

Maybe it’s that attitude that is reason his jobs on the line not just the results.

A very selective quote,( and a very jaundiced interpretation), from a much longer interview in which he made clear his view that we need to get to the bottom of the problem, and spend some money on fixing it.

A very selective quote,( and a very jaundiced interpretation), from a much longer interview in which he made clear his view that we need to get to the bottom of the problem, and spend some money on fixing it.
I'm not denying that it is a selective quote and I read the whole thing, but this part immediately stood out to me and worried me, as it's a very stubborn and dismissive quote.

I guess we all tend to see what we look for.
I didn't go into reading the article with an agenda of "Ooo, let's see what I can find to criticise Hecky." I read like it like I would any other article. It's just that as I read that bit alarm bells went off and that bit stood out to me. If you read an article by dissecting it with the intention of looking for something to suit your agenda then

A) You're mental
B) You need a hobby

Also it’s mental that they are saying the review was delayed because of cost. Paying for an expert analysis must be, what a few grand, tens of thousands?

As someone said higher up, these players are £ multi million assets that are being wrecked, at the cost of the club. JOC was £30m asset written off, RND might not come back, he would’ve been worth £5-10m, what if Hamer is next? Another £15m down the drain?

We can’t afford not to be doing this analysis. And if it comes to it and the back room staff are the problem, we can’t afford not to clear them out - the cost of doing that is still less than the damage being done to the clubs assets!

So we've finally decided as a club to get an independent review done to get the floorboards up to see whether they can find any potentially contributing factors in our never ending ridiculous amount of injuries cycle. About bleeding time (but well done to the club for finally recognising that this cannot go on indefinitely).

If the review is done comprehensively and if the final assessment is that we do everything as a club as best as we possibly can with players conditioning and trying to minimise injuries (it won't) then fair do's. I won't complain and I will just accept the situation as United being forever unlucky. But what I couldn't get my head around was how long it has taken for us to get a grip of this and finally recognise as a club that external SME's might just know a little bit more about this matter than our football management. Provided the club's owner and management are also open minded to potential learnings then I can only see it being a good thing for the club and it could be the first step (careful, one of our heroes might get injured making that) of us finally getting a grip on this issue which has gone on for way too long.

Interesting also that when some on here have mooted the idea of United getting external independent experts in to look at our constant injury problems, some others on here poo pooed the idea and basically told us that the club will know exactly what the issues are and it's a professional club not the dog n duck. Seemingly, the club now starting to come around to the same thinking of some of us more radical thinkers in that maybe the club doesn't automatically always know best after all. It's a thought isn't it. Anyway, a belated 'well done United' from me.

Last edited:
Maybe the fact that we have to sign players who have had injuries before , because they are a bit cheaper is part of a lot of the issues... The biggest risk factor for soft tissue injury is a previous injury ( ps just googled biggest cause to find this out in 2 seconds, no need for big investigation!)

Maybe the fact that we have to sign players who have had injuries before , because they are a bit cheaper is part of a lot of the issues... The biggest risk factor for soft tissue injury is a previous injury ( ps just googled biggest cause to find this out in 2 seconds, no need for big investigation!)

In which case did our scouting team (aka Paul Mitchell) bother to spend 2 seconds on Google to find this out himself? On reflection, quite possibly he didn't!

Last edited:
In which case did our scouting team (aks Paul Mitchell) bother to spend 2 seconds on Google to find this out himself? On reflection, quite possibly he didn't!
Don't think they dare mention it as manager will blame board and board the manager for this scenario..

Also it’s mental that they are saying the review was delayed because of cost. Paying for an expert analysis must be, what a few grand, tens of thousands?

As someone said higher up, these players are £ multi million assets that are being wrecked, at the cost of the club. JOC was £30m asset written off, RND might not come back, he would’ve been worth £5-10m, what if Hamer is next? Another £15m down the drain?

We can’t afford not to be doing this analysis. And if it comes to it and the back room staff are the problem, we can’t afford not to clear them out - the cost of doing that is still less than the damage being done to the clubs assets!
Agreed, but I don’t think it’s the cost of doing the analysis that’s the issue. It’s the cost of doing something about it - Nicky Janskys’ contact’s description of success on this challenge for a Premier League team included a head count of 100 people...can you see that at Shirecliffe? 😂

Tony is right though. Hecky essentially saying "yeah let's find the issue, pay money to do it but we won't find anything anyway."
Totally agree.

The view Hecky should be advocating is ..... "Let's hope they DO find something is wrong within the set-up of SUFC. Then we can act upon their recommendations and rectify the problem ASAP " Or words to that effect.

Back
Top Bottom