Incoming? INCOMINGS

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What have you seen in him?

Is someone like Armstrong likely to be offered to the Championship if Southampton buy another forward? He didn’t exactly hit the ground running in his first season.
If they’re going to loan him to pump up his confident or retain his value it will need to be this next season so they can decide what to do with him while he has 2 years on his contract. Likewise will Davis be available from Villa if Notts Forest don’t cough up the £15-20M?
He doesn’t quite have the flair of MGW with the flicks and tricks, he’s more direct with a real eye for goal. Great turn of pace from what I’ve seen though and can go both ways and also has a rocket of a left foot.
If he spends the full season on loan in the Championship then i can see him having a similar amount of goal involvements as MGW had (around 25).

If Adam Armstrong was made available then he would instantly jump to the top of my list but i can’t see that one somehow.

The best players aren’t generally available early in any window unless you’re the biggest pull with the biggest wages. We’re unlikely to be the biggest payers in the Championship so any early deals will be either frees or picking up cheap emerging talent from L1.
Any PL player where looking to loan that it top class in this league and a strong certainty to succeed isn't likely be available until the PL squads have been announced. If he does know now he’s going to be waiting to see who’s interested and isn’t going to the Championship unless he has no better offers.
I think we’re likely to be in for Rothwell but he’s a tough get for us but I’ve no doubt we’ve made a good case, ultimately I expect he’ll pick a PL option over us. Is your view that we shouldn’t make an effort for these players when it’s not impossible that he would come to us instead?
So the best players are available if you’re a team willing to pay a reasonable asking price? … not over the odds but the asking price.

I agree that we can’t/won’t and therefore will be working our way down a list that will take time.

Re loans; yep agreed you have to wait it out.

All of the above leads me to think no early signings with little cash spent on trf fees.

Let's all be agreed we will signing absolutely no one of note or anyone we can get excited about, we are skint having wasted millions on Wilder's white elephants (I was as excited as anyone with his appointment and the subsequent 4 years but he's just another Colin)
The Prince is either skint or has been mentioned the family won't help out now because of the Newcastle link
Yes with the youngsters and everyone fully fit we can put together a team, but we need the extra in midfield (a combative CDM is a must) and cover at the back
Am I looking forward to the new season yes but at the moment with trepidation as I don't expect us to better last season

I really don't get the expectation from some on here for Utd to spend fortunes on fees and wages. Unfortunately, it appearsthe realisation that CW blew a huge pot on players who for a variety of reasons didn't deliver and whose residual value is much lower that the initial outlay on them is yet to dawn on some. That coupled with only Ramsdale being sold for a fee of any significance, a reduced but still large wage bill (i.e. top 6 in the Champ) and a drop in income from reduced parachute payments, all mean that of course Utd will of course need to 'cut their cloth' accordingly, resulting in sales and / or lower priced acquisitions.

I am not ITK nor an FD in the sports industry but all that is fairly basic stuff.

You’re seriously saying Slav didn’t want Hourihane, Gibbs-White, Davies, Olsen? I know he wanted more but he certainly spunked a lot of money on that lot if he didn’t want any of them. No wonder the board thought twice when he wanted to blow even more while not getting the most out of what we had. I know I had questions especially why he hadn’t accepted the McBurnie bid and then not playing him, why Brewster was on the wing and why we wasn’t getting more out of Berge. All of which was massively reducing the value of our expensive assets while wanting more investment.
He was all wrong for us I’m afraid and we made the right decision to not indulge him further.
None are players he wanted Davies was an ongoing from last season as left sided solution and a target he wanted a keeper a box to box midfielder and most importantly two wingers not his signings mate

I'd say over half, if not all of the signings will be very late in the window. Of the supposed 7, I reckon a couple will be 'sourced' from within i.e. Davis stays, we decided to give Coulibaly a go and even decide there is enough cover on the left in Robinson, Norrington-Davies, Stevens and Osborn to eventually not bother. For the others they'll be two types.

Those young players that are almost but not quite will be given pre-season to stake a claim just like we will do with Neal, Brunt, Arblaster, Peck, Gordon and Lopata.

From that pool I'd be expecting us to try to grab hold of one if not two from:

Jaden Philogen-Bidace, 20, Villa (LW)
Cameron Archer, 20, Villa (CF, RW)
Cole Palmer, 20, Man City (AM)
James McAtee, 19, Man City (AM)
Liam Delap, 19, Man City (CF)
Amad Diallo, 19, Man Utd (RW)
Hannibal Mejbri, 19, Man Utd (AM)
Tahith Chong, 21, Man Utd (RW)
Shola Shoretire, 18, Man Utd (RW)
Jeremy Sarmiento, 20, Brighton (AM)
Abdallah Sima, 21, Brighton (RW)
Tino Anjorin, 20, Chelsea (AM)
Crysencio Summerville, 20, Leeds (RW)
Ian Poveda, 22, Leeds (AM)

Then you'll have those senior players that look like missing the final 25 man squads after the majority of business is done, which we'll be open to.

In such cases there is a lot to be said for not going too early and keeping your nerve, but then you do open yourself up to an element of fortune i.e. missing out on players in hindsight you could and would have got because you waited for better that didn't come or you buy early and then realise a better option was available and you've already spunked your muneh.

Then there's the possibility of unwelcome but hard to turn down bids where key players will need replacing.

If you're the club, there's no shortage of sticks to beat you with. Aim has to be to be better exiting the window than entering it so it's probably better just to relax and see what we have end July though I can appreciate that's easier said than done with so much news and rumours flowing daily.
Great research there Champ's ,I think we will be looking with interest at those young players ! Amo ngst others !
Its a difficult job recruiting
Players with a tight budget
as we obviously have.
Just like Aldi's catch phrase! ' When it's gone it's gone."
We did waste some money last year in the loan market .
I feel sure we will do a better job this time round we have a manager in place who has got a real handle on the job (hecki)who accepts money is tight and patience is the watch word.

He doesn’t quite have the flair of MGW with the flicks and tricks, he’s more direct with a real eye for goal. Great turn of pace from what I’ve seen though and can go both ways and also has a rocket of a left foot.
If he spends the full season on loan in the Championship then i can see him having a similar amount of goal involvements as MGW had (around 25).

If Adam Armstrong was made available then he would instantly jump to the top of my list but i can’t see that one somehow.
Thank you.
So the best players are available if you’re a team willing to pay a reasonable asking price? … not over the odds but the asking price.

I agree that we can’t/won’t and therefore will be working our way down a list that will take time.

Re loans; yep agreed you have to wait it out.

All of the above leads me to think no early signings with little cash spent on trf fees.
I think if you make a bid at fair market value for a wanted asset then the selling team and player are likely to want to sit it out until they’re sure all interest has been flushed out. Therefore I think you do have to pay over the odds to get a deal done and closed out early, unless you are always going to be the biggest draw.
I think we’ll have made bids at sensible levels but now it’s entirely dependent on if we can make the best case and who else is in.

Probably worth noting that apart from Cardiff, who seem to be working on a different calendar to the rest, pretty much nobody has done anything of any sizeable note:

And Cardiff were pretty dire/dirgey last season and needed to be taking drastic steps, particularly after letting some players leave.

Let's all be agreed we will signing absolutely no one of note or anyone we can get excited about, we are skint having wasted millions on Wilder's white elephants (I was as excited as anyone with his appointment and the subsequent 4 years but he's just another Colin)
The Prince is either skint or has been mentioned the family won't help out now because of the Newcastle link
Yes with the youngsters and everyone fully fit we can put together a team, but we need the extra in midfield (a combative CDM is a must) and cover at the back
Am I looking forward to the new season yes but at the moment with trepidation as I don't expect us to better last season
Or to paraphrase; "Let's all agree to be really moany pessimists, defying reasonable logic, seemingly just to suck any joy from the beautiful game"

😉

Or to paraphrase; "Let's all agree to be really moany pessimists, defying reasonable logic, seemingly just to suck any joy from the beautiful game"

😉
Cardiff might have signed 8 apart from oDowda the rest are gambles really (unknowns).
Chill out fellow blades !!

Just to state the ABSOLUTELY BLEEDIN' OBVIOUS!!,................

INCOMINGS thus far = (Drum-roll) NIL, NOTHING, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA, NOUGHT, SWEET F A,.... NOT A FXXXIN' SAUSAGE YOUR HONOUR!!!!

But all is not yet lost!, there is still time!, we apparently have several 'fingers in pies'!?, and as always, we Blades remain the 'Eternal Optimists'!!!!!!!!!

I see Lionel Messi is a tad unhappy at his present club!!, YHIHF! ;)🤣🤣

I've enclosed below a list of all those Cardiff players I wanted us to sign:

List ends
😉
I'd have been interested in Adams based on his numbers/reputation in L2. But I've only seen him on highlights and I can't even remember much by now to be honest.

Likewise Wilson who went to Bristol City.

They are different players.

If you get a Gibbs-White or Twine, then you a playing 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1. If you get Armstrong then you are playing 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-2 or you are playing the 2 former formations I listed and benching all of Brewster, Sharp and McBurnie.

I don't see that happening.

When does our pre season start out of interest? We've presumably only got a few days before we start that and if no one is in the building by then that is disappointing in my view.

When does our pre season start out of interest? We've presumably only got a few days before we start that and if no one is in the building by then that is disappointing in my view.
I think its tomorrow

I think its tomorrow
Oh right! Wow, sooner than I thought! The bigger problem is when we head off to Portugal because you'd ideally want some incoming prior to leaving for the trip there so we can bed them in on and off the pitch. If we're signing any free agents then I'm sure they'd want them in asap so they get a proper pre-season with us. Doubt we'll be signing many though, maybe one from that market. I can see the majority been loans given that that's been the most popular method of late. If that's the case then we may start the season with possibly just 1 or 2 of the new arrivals for the start of the season as loans often come at the end of the window as we know.

I personally think that aside from MGW replacement and/or if Berge leaves. the team next season will be the same as last pretty much but with the returning Bogle and Brewster at some point, hopefully both fit for the start of the season, same with McBurnie hopefully.

I remember talking about him with someone the other week he’s got a respectable england youth career but hasn’t really made an impact on the club game still as free punts go it could be worse

I’ve said it before and I will say it again.

Bettis is a politician.

He’s an expert in spinning lines to appease the fans.

Actions speak louder than words.

There will be no signings done early despite him saying that is what he and PH want to do. This is simply because we won’t pay the money in either transfer fees or, for free agents, wages that is required to secure early season signings/number one targets.

All our signings will be done late in the window when we can pick up players for cheaper and wages smaller as clubs and players will lower demands.

Any loans will be fine late on and as is always the case with a loan it will be pot luck if they work out.

Man-with-egg-on-his-face - Oxford University Press

Not ashamed to admit when I’m wrong and I am wrong on this (and gladly so)

Regardless of needing more numbers than two we have signed a player on loan and a player permanent for a fee and early in the window so my post is 💯 wrong on both counts.

UTB
Good man Jan!
But I'll raise your two.

Adam Davies delivers verdict on Paul Heckingbottom after completing Sheffield  United move - YorkshireLive

;)

Back
Top Bottom