CONFIRMED Incoming - Chris Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Then i'll enact operation post #9

As will I. Only in S2 would the fans even contemplate getting rid of a manager of NA's proven record of both achievement and performance after less than a season. Some of you want to give a new meaning to Manager of the Month.

I don't suggest we are doing well, that I am enjoying this season or that things are not very frustrating at the moment, but...

For Fuck's Sake stop the perpetual knee jerking and give a good man time!!!

We signed David Frain from Dronfield United (Norton Woodseats) in 1985 when he was 22

Long ago when I used to travel to away games...

I recall a 2-1 win at Palace. David and Peter Beagrie thrilled us with some of the best wing play I have ever seen from United. Kevin Arnott was untouchable in midfield that day. I travelled home with real hope that day...

I can't remember but we probably, in the best Blades tradition, lost the very next game?

Silent, help me out with the dates and times as usual, will you? :)

Long ago when I used to travel to away games...

I recall a 2-1 win at Palace. David and Peter Beagrie thrilled us with some of the best wing play I have ever seen from United. Kevin Arnott was untouchable in midfield that day. I travelled home with real hope that day...

I can't remember but we probably, in the best Blades tradition, lost the very next game?

Silent, help me out with the dates and times as usual, will you? :)
The 2-1 win at Palace was on Sept 13th 1986. Alan Irvine scored Palace's equaliser. Beagrie and Frain scored. The following week we lost 2-1 at home to Grimsby (Foley scored our goal)

The 2-1 win at Palace was on Sept 13th 1986. Alan Irvine scored Palace's equaliser. Beagrie and Frain scored. The following week we lost 2-1 at home to Grimsby (Foley scored our goal)

Remember that Palace away win, stood on that open away end, it pissed it down all afternoon. Recall in the 2nd half a couple of rozzers throwing out a Palace fan, young 'un with skinhead, in the no-mans land between both sets of fans, he was spitting and swearing... and getting chucked out!

Wilder must have summat about him. It's not every manager that gets an album named after him by The Teardrop Explodes...

Then again, it's not every manager that has a band named after them, eh mate?

Danny%20Wilson%20Mary's%20Prayer%20vinyl.jpg

One for the future maybe, hes' done brilliantly in the last couple of year but a) he'd be bonkers to leave what he's achieving at Northampton now to take over our current lot and b) he has a job to finish there as well (like Dean Saunders did at Donny and that ended in tears for him, and like Lee Johnson did at Dingles and that could also backfire on him).

Talking of Lee Johnson, funny listening to football heaven last night that a Dingle fan was scratching his head wondering why Johnson would turn down the chance to lead Barnsley out at Wembley in the Johnstones paint trophy over managing Bristol City in the championship.:D

Talking of Lee Johnson, funny listening to football heaven last night that a Dingle fan was scratching his head wondering why Johnson would turn down the chance to lead Barnsley out at Wembley in the Johnstones paint trophy over managing Bristol City in the championship.:D

yeah I heard that. I can see why he's gone to that particular club in preference to a paint pot final, but he's not really done much else at Barnsley - a poor run and a good run. Like I said about Saunders, that disloyalty could be his downfall and, also like Saunders, he's not really proved much yet as a manager.

yeah I heard that. I can see why he's gone to that particular club in preference to a paint pot final, but he's not really done much else at Barnsley - a poor run and a good run. Like I said about Saunders, that disloyalty could be his downfall and, also like Saunders, he's not really proved much yet as a manager.
Given his connections with Bristol City it must have been almost impossible for him to turn the job down, like Clough with Derby, but Barnsley must be very disappointed after sticking by him during his bad spell. Other managers have been sacked for less.
I suppose the plus for them is that instead of having to pay him off they've got compensation.

- Effective in executing a working recruitment strategy

Go on, I'll bite, can you just add a bit of info to this for those of us not up-to-speed ?

I notice they have 4 loanees in the team at the moment.

Go on, I'll bite, can you just add a bit of info to this for those of us not up-to-speed ?

I notice they have 4 loanees in the team at the moment.
What has "loans" got to do with anything? It's the players themselves that matter. Look at their incomings. They're already beating their last years points total by 9, and it's only February. We, on the other hand, have gone backwards.

What has "loans" got to do with anything? It's the players themselves that matter. Look at their incomings. They're already beating their last years points total by 9, and it's only February. We, on the other hand, have gone backwards.

Surely having half a team of loanees is not an 'effective working recruitment strategy' ?

Surely having half a team of loanees is not an 'effective working recruitment strategy' ?
70 points by February, 1st - 10 points clear of 2nd place. I wouldn't be having any complaints. And would I be right in suggesting you wouldn't have any either had we been in the same situation? You'd look fairly daft if you did.

70 points by February, 1st - 10 points clear of 2nd place. I wouldn't be having any complaints. And would I be right in suggesting you wouldn't have any either had we been in the same situation? You'd look fairly daft if you did.

You said Wilder had an 'effective working recruitment strategy', I was just wondering what it was ? Presumably, he's doing something we're not and should be recruitment wise ?

You said Wilder had an 'effective working recruitment strategy', I was just wondering what it was ? Presumably, he's doing something we're not and should be recruitment wise ?
Look at the players he's brought in. He's getting in the right players, fitting the right mould. Sitting 10 points clear at the top of the league suggests an effective working recruitment strategy. Sitting 4 points adrift from the last play off place in a league we should be winning most certainly does not. Which part of the aforementioned are you having trouble grasping? It's fairly self explanatory. Turn the tables and there's absolutely no way you'd be questioning our recruitment strategy. And as said, if you did you'd be very daft to do so, and probably ridiculed all the same.

Look at the players he's brought in. He's getting in the right players, fitting the right mould. Sitting 10 points clear at the top of the league suggests an effective working recruitment strategy. Sitting 4 points adrift from the last play off place in a league we should be winning most certainly does not. Which part of the aforementioned are you having trouble grasping? It's fairly self explanatory. Turn the tables and there's absolutely no way you'd be questioning our recruitment strategy. And as said, if you did you'd be very daft to do so, and probably ridiculed all the same.

So you don't know then and are just looking at the league table, fair enough.

So you don't know then and are just looking at the league table, fair enough.
I've already answered, and have asked you to look at the players he's signed. It's bringing in the right players, which he has clearly done and which we clearly haven't. What more proof could you need on top of the respective league tables?

It's all hypothetical.

So let's carry it on.

If NA resigned tonight, would you want Chris Wilder to take over or would you go for someone else, who is available?

It's all hypothetical.

So let's carry it on.

If NA resigned tonight, would you want Chris Wilder to take over or would you go for someone else, who is available?
The prior discussion was categorically not hypothetical. However, to answer your question he'd be up there for me. It would help to have a list of unemployed managers to see what's what though.

Chris Powell.
Yep, mentioned him on Nov 22 along with Flitcroft and Justin Edinburgh, both of whom I appreciate are not available as such. Having looked at Wilder's signings and what he's done there though on top of his Warnock-esque personal attributes, I don't think there'd be too much competition.

I've already answered, and have asked you to look at the players he's signed. It's bringing in the right players, which he has clearly done and which we clearly haven't. What more proof could you need on top of the respective league tables?

Whether it has worked or not does not answer the question as to what his strategy is, does he go for lower division players, experienced pros from higher up, bring youngsters in etc etc Once you're top of the league, it's easy just to say he's bringing the right players in.

Do you care to comment on Wilder's previous 14 years in management when his one success was a play-off victory in the Conference (having almost thrown it away giving up a 5 point lead at the top). ?

Whether it has worked or not does not answer the question as to what his strategy is, does he go for lower division players, experienced pros from higher up, bring youngsters in etc etc Once you're top of the league, it's easy just to say he's bringing the right players in.

Do you care to comment on Wilder's previous 14 years in management when his one success was a play-off victory in the Conference (having almost thrown it away giving up a 5 point lead at the top). ?

In those 14 years, did he always manage a team with the biggest budget for the league?

In those 14 years, did he always manage a team with the biggest budget for the league?

Probably not, so it's an unknown as to how he would cope with the additional responsibility, pressure and expectations. Would his 'strategy' change if he had some money to spend ?

Back
Top Bottom