In Danny we trust

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hats off to Wilson. United went to a very difficult place and got a result. We got turned over there erlier in the season (convincingly), they beat Charlton and they hammered Wednesday. Spurs (with Walker, Modric, Van Der Vaart, Lennon and Bale) could not beat them there. A 0-0 draw was a very good result. Wilson got his tactics spot on and nullified their threats. Now it is in our hands. All we have to do is beat them on Monday .....

The game tomorrow will be really interested. I expect that Wilson will bring Cressy in for Flynn and go 4-4-2. Or will he play 4-5-1, keep it tight and be patient. As they tire, we get Cressy on and as K Mac starts to dicatate the game then we push forward? I think the former is more likely and less risky, as 25k fans will not want to see a 4-5-1 at home. The longer it goes on without us scoring the more nervous and inpatient the home support will become. We need to get K Mac on the ball, get Quinn and Willo involved and gewt our noses in front.

It will be interesting to see how Stevenage set up. They got a lot of joy by pressing us hard, defending in numbers and hitting us o the counter We need to keep an eye on their midfield and I worry that young kid might run Doyle and K Mac ragged again. That said, their goals were soft (though they could have easily scored more) and they crumbled under pressure. When we threw the kitchen sink at them they really struggled and almost buckled.

I am still a little pessimistic. Part of this is down to my cynical nature and through years of watching the Blades, but I also feel the pressure is on us. We finished 3rd, did a job at their place and are expected to win. Smith will be telling their players to relax and do what they did a few weeks ago. Silence the crowd and use the big numbers of fickle fans against us.

Safe to sa I am bricking it. I have some faith in Danny, but this is his biggest test so far. The tie is really in the balance and I think it could go either way.

Agree with that. It isn't that Porter shouldn't play but that he is hopeless at shooting. I thought Flynn played well but from Sky one might get a different persepective than stand level.

The worry has to be where are the goals coming from?

I thought we'd beat Palace, Wolves would be exciting and lose to Burnley in previous finals. At the mo I'd say it is odds on the Terriers. Perhaps though if we get there we might be motivated at playing a team in blue and white stripes!

Agree with that. It isn't that Porter shouldn't play but that he is hopeless at shooting. I thought Flynn played well but from Sky one might get a different persepective than stand level.

I thought we'd beat Palace, Wolves would be exciting and lose to Burnley in previous finals. At the mo I'd say it is odds on the Terriers. Perhaps though if we get there we might be motivated at playing a team in blue and white stripes!

Lowton, Cesswell, Willo or Quinn are the likely goalscorers. You've also got K Mac and Doyle and even the hapless Porter that could pop up with one. We scored two against these a few weeks ago, so no reason to believe we cannot do the same again (just need to defend better too!)

As for the other games: I had a bad feeling about the Palace game. We were on the slide and lucky to get past Ipswich and that game took a lot out of us. Hendry was suspended, Katchouro was knackered, Kelly got injured and Hutchinson got stretchered off early doors. When Hutchinson went off I remember thinking this will not be our day. That said, I think had Hopkins shot not gone in then Andy Walker would have nicked it for us. Wolves were the in form team in 03 and I thought they'd beat us. Stll (again) if Brown's pen had have gone in (even Tonges free kick) it might have been a different story. I was expecting nowt against Burnley, but thought 'whilst ever it is 0-0 we have a chance' then they scored and it was over. But again, we should have got back in the game had it not been for several shcoking refereeing decisions. I think the result was fair mind.

Huddersfield are not that good. They have not lifted up any trees under Grayson and us and Wednesday easily licked them at their place. I am surprised they beat MK Dons easily yesterday. They in with a great shout, but should we get through I would fancy us to give them a good game.

Porter really isn't good enough, he doesn't work hard enough, isn't strong enough, doesn't show enough enthusiasm and to top it all, couldn't trap a bag of cement, but sadly I think he has to be regarded as the second best striker available.

I expect he will start with Cresswell on Monday night, as playing with one up front makes it too easy for their back four and creates no space for others to exploit. If he does, I'd just like to see him run his heart out for the team, give absolutely everything he's got, to display as much passion as those in the stands and then I would happily overlook his lack of ability.

It's unbelieveable how the Gods have conspired against our striking options in the last month, with Evans, Hoskins and Beattie. Realistically, if we win the play offs, DW is due a Knighthood.

I reckon I'd go with cresswell and o'halloran rather than cress and porter although he's looked indecisive when in possession ie to many touches he's still more of a threat than porter bit think Danny will go with same side apparent from cresswell in for porter then use o'halloran for say last 20 if it's still tight

He may hold O'Halloran back, as there's every chance this game could go 120 minutes..........

Yea that's what I reckon aswel but I've a good feeling wel win 2_0 c'mon blades and let's make some noise from the off no nerves although ya can't help it let's just forget about the nerves and sing ya heart out I think the crowd is the key to this game we can make the difference.!

5th choice striker or 1st choice striker is irrelevant. A professional footballer ought to be able to control a football

The lad put himself about. Got stuck in and tried his best. Unfortunately, in some fans views, mine included, his best isn't enough for a promotion chasing side

Prove the doubters wrong Porter!
Thank god he has just done just that....:);):D:D:D

Danny got it spot on last night and played to our "strengths" by playing 5 in midfield. The longer we have Danny at the helm the more confident I'll be long term. We don't really have any options up front other than Cressy in for Porter, who may I add couldn't trap a pig in a corridor.
Roll on Monday.
Well done Chris Porter tonight. Fantastic goal...yahaaaay....

Just shows that if you put the ball in the right place, he will score. He ain't a target man. Can we trust DW will realize this?

Porter really isn't good enough, he doesn't work hard enough, isn't strong enough, doesn't show enough enthusiasm and to top it all, couldn't trap a bag of cement, but sadly I think he has to be regarded as the second best striker available.

I expect he will start with Cresswell on Monday night, as playing with one up front makes it too easy for their back four and creates no space for others to exploit. If he does, I'd just like to see him run his heart out for the team, give absolutely everything he's got, to display as much passion as those in the stands and then I would happily overlook his lack of ability.

It's unbelieveable how the Gods have conspired against our striking options in the last month, with Evans, Hoskins and Beattie. Realistically, if we win the play offs, DW is due a Knighthood.
Beattie totally screwed it up for himself and needs to be shown the door.....as for Evans, don`t lets even go there....let`s just be grateful for Chris Porter tonight..just for once....:D:D..then again at Wembley.

Beattie totally screwed it up for himself and needs to be shown the door.....as for Evans, don`t lets even go there....let`s just be grateful for Chris Porter tonight..just for once....:D:D..then again at Wembley.
I have to agree about Beattie. I have seen the light. Go out and get Beavon for next year

Wilson played another master stroke last night. I wonder if he would have played Cressy if he had been fit? The first half was purely awful and very scrappy. However United completely bossed the midfield. We tracked their very dangerous full backs (Flynn and Willo doing good jobs) and didn't give their central midfield a sniff. That young lad from Arsenal was never in it and United definately won the battle. However Porter looked completely isolated and there was so little quality in the final third. We lacked ambition and pace and movement was very poor. I guess part of this was down to us keeping shape and being rock solid, but some of our deliveries in the final third were school boy.

Second half I thought we stepped it up. United remained patient for a long time and stuck to their game plan. I was impressed by how well we passed, despite K Mac going off, and that we refused to go direct too early. We kept our solidty and Stevenage rarely threatened. Howver I felt a Blades goal was coming. Willo missed a sitter, Flynn's miss was criminal and Hill's thunderbolt was a shisker away. Quinn had a chance and then finally Porter scored. As Stevenage tired and started to look demoralised, United turned the screw. The key for me was when Lowton bombed forward. He held back until the 70 minuted mark, but then showed some ambition. The result was devasting. Several times he casued problems and I felt something was coming through him. A cracking ball from him and United are just winners.

So well done Danny. Perhaps his hand was forced and he got a tad lucky, or perhaps he really is a master tactician. On the evidence we can only assume he got it spot on. Just one more game to go ......

Howver I felt a Blades goal was coming. Willo missed a sitter, Flynn's miss was criminal and Hill's thunderbolt was a shisker away.

I think thats harsh on Willo, the ball came to him very fast, and he was unsighted by Monty being running across him at the front post (no, really), given his position and how fast the ball was travelling he should have tried a Lee Sharpe style backheel towards the far post, but he didn`t have the time to react.

Flynn scuffed his shot (and was defended by the commentator with the line, well he is left footed, FFS!) but 5 mins later was within a foot of scoring a screamer.

I honestly thought Hills was in...

[quote

[/quote]

Last night I thought the tatics were spot on. If Stevenage had scored I really don't think that we had two goals in us so keeping them quiet for 75/80 minutes was spot on.
Hit them late like we did in the league, risky but sensilble at the same time.
Well done DW.

I was directly behind it in the Kop, it was as straight as a bullet and always going wide but it even made me jump up as I thought it might sneak in :D

It looked for all its worth like it was in from my seat on the Sourth Stand side...

I should say my armchair in my front room actually

Back
Top Bottom