Improving the midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To be honest, that midfield today wouldn't have gotten us out of league one!

Come back Couttsy all is forgiven!! And can you bring Lee Evans with you...

It's easy to see now why Brighton and Fulham let him go.
Poor point that. We've had two seasons out of him since then, one in the premiership and he's been our best midfielder on several occasions in both the championship and premiership. Age appears to have caught up with him, it happens.

Re-read what I actually said, it's not really being pedantic. I agreed with most of what you said, other than 'wiping the man out' at that point being a good idea.

His alternative attempt was woeful, but wiping him out wouldn't have helped either.

No just some semblance of a challenge would help

Or just revert back to the old formation with Didzy at the top, in theory also giving Norwood a bit more protection with a deeper midfielder at the side of him.
Haha! I think you proposing to keep Ollie Norwood in the team after today is even braver than me proposing Fleck to CM! 🤣

I'd personally like to see the return of the three up top but our midfield is threadbare and they are getting no support from the wing-backs who were crucial to the old system. Either way, we have nothing to lose.

No Egan for Man Utd away is scary! Think we might see a back 5 and Basham sat in front for that one with damage limitation the main aim.

Desperate times.

UTB

I’ve said it before but with Berge out the only player strong enough and mobile enough to play CDM is Lunny. Fleck will just get overrun in that position. You bring back Baldock RWB and you play Bogle RCM. Ampadu is not a midfielder and yet Wilder will shoehorn him in against Man Poo and City which weakens our defence.
I think we saw a bit of Lunny trying to play there today towards the end of the game. I considered this as an option as I agree that he has the physical attributes to play there but he is still incredibly inconsistent and will not be here next season. I think all that matters now is trying to find confidence and a system for next season and accumulating more than 11 points.

It's another option though.

UTB

Haha! I think you proposing to keep Ollie Norwood in the team after today is even braver than me proposing Fleck to CM! 🤣

I'd personally like to see the return of the three up top but our midfield is threadbare and they are getting no support from the wing-backs who were crucial to the old system. Either way, we have nothing to lose.

No Egan for Man Utd away is scary! Think we might see a back 5 and Basham sat in front for that one with damage limitation the main aim.

Desperate times.

UTB
I'm only suggesting that because the alternative is Ethan fuckin Ampadu.

Im not defending Norwood here ,he had an awful game and was at fault for 2 goals but he wasnt alone. I agree with Foxy once he made a mess of the control he couldnt have fouled or he would have been sent off ,but Bashams tackle was weak as piss. For the last one he made a mess of a bad pass from Stevens across his own defence but Bogles challenge after was also non existent. Norwood had by far his worst game in a Utd shirt today ,but when he made mistakes last season his team mates backed him up , we desperatley miss Oconnell not only for his ability but for his mental strength which runs through the team and is sadly lacking.

I get that we haven’t got much money to (rightly) spend now, given we’re going down and covid is still ravaging it’s way through the football world. But we could spend very little and get our midfield in a decent shape for next season regardless.

We could take Besic’s wages over, and take him on a free without any doubt whatsoever. That instantly improves us and gives us the type of midfielder we’re lacking. A player with intensity and aggression. Players like that aren’t particularly hard to find, but we don’t have one. He wouldn’t have put in anything like the pathetic challenge Norwood made for that second goal. For a start he probably wouldn’t have miscontrolled and lost it, BUT, if he did, he wipes the man clean out.

Also we’re crying out for a left sided midfielder who can actually pass the ball to a man in red and white. Look no further than Alex Mowatt at Barnsley who’s running out of contract this summer. Negotiations at a deadlock and looks like he’ll be leaving for nowt in the summer, Barnsley not exactly known for asking for big money, might cost a million to get them to let him go early. He’s an instant improvement on the Fleck of 2020/21 and just better than Osborn in that role. Or less long term, loan in Hourihane for the season and see if we can convince him to stay next season too.

Instantly improves us if we have a midfield that can compete. A replacement for Lunny is a bit more difficult, I can’t see any that would be available for next to nowt just at the minute. But if we had a combative defensive influence in there, and a dynamic progressive passer who’s actually playing well, we might not be walked through in every fucking game.

Back
Top Bottom