Improving the midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chabuddy G

Kurupt FM
Reaction score
I get that we haven’t got much money to (rightly) spend now, given we’re going down and covid is still ravaging it’s way through the football world. But we could spend very little and get our midfield in a decent shape for next season regardless.

We could take Besic’s wages over, and take him on a free without any doubt whatsoever. That instantly improves us and gives us the type of midfielder we’re lacking. A player with intensity and aggression. Players like that aren’t particularly hard to find, but we don’t have one. He wouldn’t have put in anything like the pathetic challenge Norwood made for that second goal. For a start he probably wouldn’t have miscontrolled and lost it, BUT, if he did, he wipes the man clean out.

Also we’re crying out for a left sided midfielder who can actually pass the ball to a man in red and white. Look no further than Alex Mowatt at Barnsley who’s running out of contract this summer. Negotiations at a deadlock and looks like he’ll be leaving for nowt in the summer, Barnsley not exactly known for asking for big money, might cost a million to get them to let him go early. He’s an instant improvement on the Fleck of 2020/21 and just better than Osborn in that role. Or less long term, loan in Hourihane for the season and see if we can convince him to stay next season too.

Instantly improves us if we have a midfield that can compete. A replacement for Lunny is a bit more difficult, I can’t see any that would be available for next to nowt just at the minute. But if we had a combative defensive influence in there, and a dynamic progressive passer who’s actually playing well, we might not be walked through in every fucking game.

He wouldn’t have put in anything like the pathetic challenge Norwood made for that second goal. For a start he probably wouldn’t have miscontrolled and lost it, BUT, if he did, he wipes the man clean out.

Doesn't make any of the rest of it any better, nor what he actually did, but wiping the man clean out would have resulted in going down to ten men.

Doesn't make any of the rest of it any better, nor what he actually did, but wiping the man clean out would have resulted in going down to ten men.
Instant improvement 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Banned
Why? 😂 wiping a man out doesn’t mean you get sent off?

Fleck has begun to look himself again these last two games but I think next season is the time we begin to target a new man in his spot. Norwood replacement urgent.

We need to get back to being a savvy club in the transfer business. We will be able to spend more than we usually would in the Championship next season but I really hope Wilder doesn't get carried away with that again. These players we've brought in for daft fees need to prove themselves at that level now to justify the outlay. How disappointing is that? No more disappointments like that please.

Fleck has begun to look himself again these last two games but I think next season is the time we begin to target a new man in his spot. Norwood replacement urgent.

We need to get back to being a savvy club in the transfer business. We will be able to spend more than we usually would in the Championship next season but I really hope Wilder doesn't get carried away with that again. These players we've brought in for daft fees need to prove themselves at that level now to justify the outlay. How disappointing is that? No more disappointments like that please.
There’s not many better left footed midfielders in that league than Alex Mowatt for me, getting him with his contract running out would be an absolute steal. Giving him 5 months of PL football would only improve him further too.

At this end of the table and where we stand right now the only players we could possibly get to come here will be either to young or too old.

Does mean a booking though and given he’d already got one...
I don’t really see that argument, who’s to say Besic would even have a booking in the first place? 😂

Also there was plenty of time to challenge and win that ball before the need to hammer the kid

Remove the position of midfield or any knowledge of what a “midfield” is from the global game of football. Replace this concept with a new position called a Norwood, forcing professional football clubs to flood local parks and pubs for players who could play the role. Only then will we have a.... level playing field

Why? 😂 wiping a man out doesn’t mean you get sent off?

Because he was on a booking, flat footed having already mis-controlled the ball and in a position where his opponent was firmly on the front foot. Most other attempts he'd put himself in a position to make would have resulted in a second yellow.

Because he was on a booking, flat footed having already mis-controlled the ball and in a position where his opponent was firmly on the front foot. Most other attempts he'd put himself in a position to do woupd have resulted in a second yellow.
You can 100% put in a stronger challenge than he did without getting sent off, booking or not

You can 100% put in a stronger challenge than he did without getting sent off, booking or not

From the position he put himself in, he could have 'wiped out' his man without getting booked?

I know it seems like a 'last throw of the dice', but what about trying Fleck in the central midfield role?

I know, I know. He's been anonymous for most of the season and, often, as bad as Norwood. But we have no Berge and there seems little point in 'going defensive' with an Ampadu or Basham in that role at this stage of the season. I just think by giving him more of the ball and more responsibility in the middle of the park we might just see a resurgence in his form for next season. He has improved marginally in the last two weeks and he does't need to play Norwood's 'millionaire' ball that we keep giving away all the time. Maybe he could just keep it simple?

Tin hat (understandably) on.

UTB

It needs a shakeup for sure, nobody we've signed has come into the midfield and noticeably improved it. In fact I can't think of the last signing Wilder made in general who has made a noticeable difference. We've been relying on the players who took us up who are now looking spent with no sort of good replacement for them, leaving us in a position where it needs tearing up and starting again with

Norwood has to be first for the chop, he's like Coutts after he broke his leg, difference being that Norwood hasn't got that kind of excuse. He was dreadful today and very much at fault. It's easy to see now why Brighton and Fulham let him go.

From the position he put himself in, he could have 'wiped out' his man without getting booked?
Well if you’re going to attempt to be pedantic when my original point was just about Besic not being as cowardly as that, fine. But for the record yes I believe instantly after the miscontrol he has a chance to recover the ball. After that if he’s stronger he might foul Hojberg but it’s not a booking.

We’ve seen Norwood mesh many many challenges in the time he’s been here, it’s hardly a surprise or shock.

I know it seems like a 'last throw of the dice', but what about trying Fleck in the central midfield role?

I know, I know. He's been anonymous for most of the season and, often, as bad as Norwood. But we have no Berge and there seems little point in 'going defensive' with an Ampadu or Basham in that role at this stage of the season. I just think by giving him more of the ball and more responsibility in the middle of the park we might just see a resurgence in his form for next season. He has improved marginally in the last two weeks and he does't need to play Norwood's 'millionaire' ball that we keep giving away all the time. Maybe he could just keep it simple?

UTB
I’ve said it before but with Berge out the only player strong enough and mobile enough to play CDM is Lunny. Fleck will just get overrun in that position. You bring back Baldock RWB and you play Bogle RCM. Ampadu is not a midfielder and yet Wilder will shoehorn him in against Man Poo and City which weakens our defence.

Well if you’re going to attempt to be pedantic when my original point was just about Besic not being as cowardly as that, fine.

Re-read what I actually said, it's not really being pedantic. I agreed with most of what you said, other than 'wiping the man out' at that point being a good idea.

His alternative attempt was woeful, but wiping him out wouldn't have helped either.

Well if you’re going to attempt to be pedantic when my original point was just about Besic not being as cowardly as that, fine. But for the record yes I believe instantly after the miscontrol he has a chance to recover the ball. After that if he’s stronger he might foul Hojberg but it’s not a booking.

We’ve seen Norwood mesh many many challenges in the time he’s been here, it’s hardly a surprise or shock.
Is that the same Besic who is as slow as Norwood?

UTB
Or just revert back to the old formation with Didzy at the top, in theory also giving Norwood a bit more protection with a deeper midfielder at the side of him.

Yeah, Didzy at 10 behind something like Burke/Brewster and ahead of (two random players not called Norwood) would be worth the punt

Moving players about is not the answer. We are absolutely dying on our knees, we need fresh blood desperately

Exactly, I'm not defending Norwood but other players could have wiped Kane out

I doubt anyone of the right quality wants to join us right now. But Besic & Hourihane would be instant improvements over what we have.
Snodgrass made an instant difference for West Brom yesterday, another one that could have done us some good.

Experienced, used to being at clubs near the foot of the table, capable of bagging assists and goals...

Was really surprised we didn't take Besic on. Thought he was solid in midfield.

Could have him in Lunnys position, Fleck on left and Ampadu in middle and either Jags or Enda at LCB.

Or the unthinkable... CHANGE THE FORMATION. 442 or even a 433 with Burke being pushed out to the left, Brewster on the right (or loan signing) with didsy sitting in front of Ampadu and fleck in midfield.

Norwood can stay on the fucking coach

Back
Top Bottom