If you could go back and change one of our results, which would it be?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

United 1 Wigan 2. I think we could have become an established Premier League team if we had stayed up that year.
Yep, this would be mine for what it meant, More recently, it’d be to stuff the pigs 6-0 following on from Bouncing Day. Didsy puts the penalty in the other corner and we run riot.

To achieve the result I'd have liked - West Ham 1-0 Sheffield United in 2006 - change that to a United win (remember we should have had an equaliser) and the game against Wigan isn't relevant...

Based on how gutted I was at the time, the Wigan game. I've genuinely never been more disappointed by a single game.

2010 when we got relegated after all the injuries but when we played middlesboro at home is when it was the knock out blow
We utterly dominated the game and missed sitter after sitter only to lose to a late break away
it knocked the belief out of the team

I'd like Mark Stein to miss his last gasp chance at Stamford Bridge in 1994, butterfly effect and all.

It still remains to this day my most painful United memory and I'd love to erase that.

Second choice, being greedy, I'd like to have seen us win one the FA Cup semi finals I saw us lose. Just one of them. It's not too much to ask, is it?

0-1 v Walsall is up there, but then we wouldn't have had the journey back to enjoy.
1-2 v Wendys FA Cup Semi. Although we'd have made the final, we'd probably have lost as they did, and to be fair, they deserved it.
1-2 v Wigan more annoyance than disappointment. I never felt confident we'd do it. There's also a good chance we would have gone down the season after.
0-4 v Wendys Boxing day, for all I should coco reasons and more, I would go back and erase it even now. Either that, or make the Bouncing day massacre even more soul-destroying for them, or at least for those over 50 years old!!

I reckon just changing the outcome of Ched’s trial might have seen to the changing of the MK result. It wasn’t like he was just out injured, there was a while feeling around the fans and obviously the players that it was all over.

If I could change one, it would be the game that got Blackwell sacked, as strange as that sounds. Even a respectable defeat against QPR would have seen him keep his job and although that season would have been absolute shite and a ball ache to watch, his sacking was the event that kick started the spiral into league one. He’d have gone at some point that season because his football was absolute non league standard but he’d have probably accumulated enough points to steer us clear of relegation. My guess is he would have been sacked for us not being close enough to the play offs rather than a relegation fight.

I agree with all that and also think in 2010 and 2011 is when McCabe tightened the purse strings so we'd have probably spiralled down to L1 the season after KB's sacking anyway. The Prince didn't come onboard until 2013 but who knows, if we were still a Championship club McCabe may have found a co-owner sooner than 2013 which might have stopped us going down provided whoever he brought onboard had a genuine level of investment.

United 1 Wigan 2. I think we could have become an established Premier League team if we had stayed up that year.

Great idea for a thread and this would be my choice too, seeing as we just did a 3.5 hour podcast on this season...

The counterargument is that it seems very likely that McCabe was bringing in Bryan Robson for Warnock that summer regardless of whether we stayed up, but the team we had the following season was arguably better than the one that we had in the Premiership itself. We lost Jagielka but added Beattie, Speed, Cotterill, Ehoigu, Naysmith, and had Gary Cahill for a bit.

Perhaps if we'd have stayed up another (much better) manager would have thrown his hat in the ring and talked McCabe out of appointing Robson (probably not).

Boxing Day.

Went back to school (Dinno), and all the part time DirtyLeeds fans had new Wendy scarves. I was 16 and me and the few proper committed Blades had a shite time of it.

I didn't even mind the few proper Wendys dishing it out, but loads of plastic twats all queued up to put the boot in.
Seconded, going back to school on Parson Cross was an 'experience' same as yours , only we didn't have any Plastic pigs , just a fully paid up rabid frothing at the mouth sort. Eeeeuugghh.

I often dwell on how that scoreline led to a decade of city dominance for them , and how our 4 goal romp on the same patch in 2017 should lead to a similar, hopefully much longer period for us.

If not 26-12-79 which they dined out on every chance they had then definitely a cup semi and probably the 93 one.

Great idea for a thread and this would be my choice too
Thought this after Danny_Blade responded, well worth discussing and worth a poll too.
I'm in the 'we would've been relegated next season anyway' camp and it would take a damn good argument(s) to change my mind too.

Tough one. I don't think i'd change a Play Off Final TBH.

Arsenal at Old Trafford is a good shout. Any of the FA Cup/League Cup Semi Finals would be good to change as that would mean i've seen us play in a Cup Final.

I think my choice though, would be one of 3 games, all against them lot!

Wembley 1993 - 1-2L
Always spoken like a badge of honour that it was/is the BIGGEST game that we have ever played each other in.

Hillsborough 2012 - 0-1L
If we had beaten them that day, i'm convinced we would have pipped them to promotion. That result gave them something to go for.

Hillsborough 2017 - 4-2W
I'd take off their 2 goals and just leave it at 4-0. Maybe 5-0 just to really rub it in. 4-0 away would put Boxing Day to bed forever more. They constantly downgrade it because we only won by 2 goals. Oblivious to the fact they let the pub team score 4 against them!

I think that either of the FA cup semi-finals V Arsenal or Hull as I have never seen us in a major cup final (playoffs don't count) Whether we would have won any of the finals is anyone's guess but the fact we would have played Southampton in the first one so a possible chance. Arsenal in the 2nd one might have been a step too far even though I think Hull were 2 goals up in the final ?

Has anybody mentioned that debacle at Gillingham?

As mentioned by SBB, Bury away that 1-0 defeat in the rain. Hard to believe that Calvert-Lewin and Adams were playing.

HH

Thought this after Danny_Blade responded, well worth discussing and worth a poll too.
I'm in the 'we would've been relegated next season anyway' camp and it would take a damn good argument(s) to change my mind too.

The PL was arguably weaker the following season - it was the year of Derby's infamous 11-point season. Five teams finished with fewer than 38 points that season, despite virtually everyone getting 6 free points off Derby to add to their totals. Derby were so abject that for a brief moment it actually looked like Reading would be able to get the 7-goal win they needed against them on the final day of the season (finished 4-0 and they went down by 3 goals on goal difference).

Throw in the idea that our squad was (IMO) stronger in 2007/08 despite playing in the league below and I really do think we'd have had a great opportunity to establish ourselves for a good stretch had we survived past the single season.

The PL was arguably weaker the following season - it was the year of Derby's infamous 11-point season. Five teams finished with fewer than 38 points that season, despite virtually everyone getting 6 free points off Derby to add to their totals. Derby were so abject that for a brief moment it actually looked like Reading would be able to get the 7-goal win they needed against them on the final day of the season (finished 4-0 and they went down by 3 goals on goal difference).

Throw in the idea that our squad was (IMO) stronger in 2007/08 despite playing in the league below and I really do think we'd have had a great opportunity to establish ourselves for a good stretch had we survived past the single season.

I think it depends on what would have happened with Warnock. I have a feeling he may have resigned his post anyway after that season.

It would have then been about who would have come into replace him. There's also a chance Jags may have stayed on. I think we would have needed a bit more than the 'guts and never say die' Warnock style to establish ourselves in the Premier League, even back then. I think it's quite telling that Colin has never kept a side in the top division.

Looking back now I think it's clear that McCabe didn't think he could trust Warnock with money. It seems odd to me that he would throw loads of money at Robson following relegation, but seemingly leave Warnock without a great deal to spend in the January of 07.

I have a feeling we may have yo yo'd for a while rather than establishing ourselves, a bit like Reading did or Norwich have been for the last few years. I just don't think McCabe was or would have been committed enough to keeping us there and really progressing as an established side. It seems he saw throwing money at promotion was less of a risk than throwing money at staving of relegation.

I think it's quite telling that Colin has never kept a side in the top division.
This is significant. He's had his fair share of 'bad luck' but (IMO) he has an attitude of 'we're fourth bottom don't lose it', so I firmly believe if he'd got a point at derby for example he'd have praised himself to the heavens. If Warnock had gone and Robson had come in and I fully believe he would have (for off field reasons), I'm sure we'd have been challenging Derby for bottom of the table. The slow passing would've been a joy to play against for most top tier sides.

Great idea for a thread and this would be my choice too, seeing as we just did a 3.5 hour podcast on this season...

The counterargument is that it seems very likely that McCabe was bringing in Bryan Robson for Warnock that summer regardless of whether we stayed up, but the team we had the following season was arguably better than the one that we had in the Premiership itself. We lost Jagielka but added Beattie, Speed, Cotterill, Ehoigu, Naysmith, and had Gary Cahill for a bit.

Perhaps if we'd have stayed up another (much better) manager would have thrown his hat in the ring and talked McCabe out of appointing Robson (probably not).

You would imagine that one immediate repercussion would be that we’d have hung on to Jagielka. Would CKR have stayed too and would Robson have wanted him to? I don’t think the TV money had gone to quite the crazy extent at that stage, but you’d think it was still feasible to sign Beattie without having the Jagielka cash. Would we have opted to cash in on Davis having paid the extra £500k for him for staying up?

You would think that we’d have not signed Sharp, Carney, Speed or Ehiogu. Hendrie had already been linked with us in the season and appeared to be lined up well in advance regardless of manager. God knows what Robson would have done instead, though I think we’d announced the previous December some sort of link with São Paulo that was supposed to see some top Brazilian youngsters potentially arrive at the Lane. We could have been a revisited Middlesbrough team of the 90s, complete with cup finals and relegation.

I'd change nothing; the butterfly effect brought us here - don't mess with our history, it could put us where the Wendies are now....
For this reason, I'd pick the Man U 3-3 from this season - a win for us in this one and we're in the driving seat for a Champs Lge place (assuming the season gets completed one way or another).
Otherwise and for similar reasons, I'd pick the Arsenal FA Cup semi - I'd fancy us to beat Southampton in the final with the momentum from this result.

I wouldn't want to change anything that would jeopardise the appointment of Sir Chris

Change any one you want, as long as you don’t change Scunthorpe at home in 2015/16.

The 4-0 loss away at Stevenage in 2013. Winning wouldn’t have made much of a difference I think to the league table, but I was so fucking fuming with the result, the date I had the next day did not go well. And she was a lovely looking lass. I’m very happy with who I’m with now, but if that result had been a victory, I’m pretty sure I would have at least got my nuts wet.

1-0 half time. 2-0 in 60th minute. Barrett, Gilroy and Conway scored for Fulham. My dad remembered Wendy fans in BLUT cheering for Fulham
Not the game I remember Silent. Alan Clark got two of Fulham’s goals. It was 2 0 at half. All the goals scored at the Kop end.

Not the game I remember Silent. Alan Clark got two of Fulham’s goals. It was 2 0 at half. All the goals scored at the Kop end.
No, it was 1-0 at half time (see Clareborough's books). Clarke played but didnt score according to the papers I read in the Sheffield Archives and the link below.

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=2345.0

Tues 23rd April 1968 - Sheff United 2 v 3 Fulham - Div 2
McCLELLAND, NICHOLLS, RYAN, CALLAGHAN, MEALAND, BROWN, CONWAY, EARLE. CLARKE, GILROY, BARRETT. SUB:KERRIGAN
Scorers: Barrett, Gilroy and Conway (2-3 win)

Blades 0-1 Hartlepool United - JPT Second Road - Oct 2013
Why would you change that ? ? It lead to the resignation of the worst manager our club has ever had , I would have taken a 0-5

Back
Top Bottom