If you could go back and change one of our results, which would it be?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JackSUFC

Reaction score
As the title says, if you could go back and alter just one of our results in your lifetime to a positive one, what would it be?

Mine would be 2002/03 FA Cup semi-final defeat to Arsenal. We were robbed on the day and I would’ve fancied us to beat Southampton in the final, such was our cup form that season. Just seeing us in a final would be amazing, but image if the triple-assault season culminated in us winning the FA Cup?

The semi final with the pigs. The league results against them since has made up for the disappointment of that game tho. Itd just be 1 sentence less in their "recent decades achievements against the mighty Blades" history book (which is about 3 sentences long). 1)Boxing Day, 2) nil nil 'away win' with players throwing their shirts in to crowd after game, 3) taking 3000 to QPR

I think it’s just a hypothetical question mate 😀

Okay then, I'd change the 0-0 draw at Hillsborough last season to a 0-20 away win.

Billy Sharp scores 17 goals and the match makes headlines worldwide. The biggest away win in the history of English league football.

Boxing Day is never spoken of ever again.

Boxing Day.

Went back to school (Dinno), and all the part time DirtyLeeds fans had new Wendy scarves. I was 16 and me and the few proper committed Blades had a shite time of it.

I didn't even mind the few proper Wendys dishing it out, but loads of plastic twats all queued up to put the boot in.

Not a result, but a moment.

If McGoldricks penalty goes in against the pigs last season, they have to open up and we roll them over. Doesn't change the outcome of the season, but ramming them 3 or 4 wouldn't half have been a nice Brucey Bonus.

*Pun intended.
Edit: its a crap pun because I dont think Bruce was actually their manager then.

Blades 0 - 3 West Brom

Battle of Bramall Lane... should have been replayed to really really really piss Megson off.

I see the hypothetical aspect. But being a football fan you take the rough and good.

Though saying that, away games especially, when lose or lose a win in last minute is something I wouldn't mind altering

(edit: and also: hard to get to places, for night games, and shit game, and 0-0 - also springs mind when I went to Charlton, (parked in Cockfosters) and came out to find public transport was on strike as of after I arrive there. Getting home after that is something I won't forget!

Blades 0 Wolves 3

We would have stayed up the following season.

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing but what is it that makes you think we would have?

OK there wouldn't have been the Tevez saga in 2004 but what makes you think Warnock wouldn't have taken the negative approach like he did during 2006/07?

One reason I think we might not have stayed up is that the 2003 team bottled/didn't turn up for a Championship play off final. So it leaves me to question whether they would've had the credentials to successfully survive a Premier League relegation fight. The P/O final could've been a different game had we not missed that penalty though, but at the same time the better team wins a match on such a big occasion at the end of the day.

I’d probably say the Arsenal semi-final too. I really think we would have won in the final.

I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing but what is it that makes you think we would have?

OK there wouldn't have been the Tevez saga in 2004 but what makes you think Warnock wouldn't have taken the negative approach like he did during 2006/07?

One reason I think we might not have stayed up is that the 2003 team bottled/didn't turn up for a Championship play off final. So it leaves me to question whether they would've had the credentials to successfully survive a Premier League relegation fight. The P/O final could've been a different game had we not missed that penalty though, but at the same time the better team wins a match on such a big occasion at the end of the day.

You’re being extremely harsh on that 2003 squad. They’d played 60 odd games that season beaten, established premier league sides, gone to 90 odd minutes to win games on numerous occasions. One thing they weren’t is bottlers. Even the players themselves have said it was one game too far.

They’d shown the exact credentials throughout that season against Premier League sides that they could battle against the best. I actually think we’d have done better that season than the year we actually went up in 06/07. Let’s not forget that Michael Brown became a Premier League regular the following season too.

Away to MK Dons in 2011/12 which was the start of the collapse which left us in League one for another 5 years

However, as other people have said, change this result and you change the chain of events that led to the Wilder era.
I believe this team really ARE special, not just because I am a Blade, but because of their togetherness, sense of purpose and
the passion with which they play.
This is the kind of thing that has to be forged through hardship. If they had all had smooth paths from premier league academy to premier league team I doubt if they would play the way they do, and I doubt we would feel the love for them they way we do

Walsall at home, you know when it was. It ain’t cool as a 13 year old for your mates to see you cry on the Kop...

Mind you the next year was my ‘birthing season’ of away games and probably formed a large bit of my life really..

Que sera sera.. etc
I was early 20's and holding tears in stood on the Kop.
Following season, some great away days and loads of laughs. 4th division or not, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Boxing day, Semi loss to Wednesday, honorable mention for 0-3 at Villa 2007.

Away to MK Dons in 2011/12 which was the start of the collapse which left us in League one for another 5 years

However, as other people have said, change this result and you change the chain of events that led to the Wilder era.
I believe this team really ARE special, not just because I am a Blade, but because of their togetherness, sense of purpose and
the passion with which they play.
This is the kind of thing that has to be forged through hardship. If they had all had smooth paths from premier league academy to premier league team I doubt if they would play the way they do, and I doubt we would feel the love for them they way we do

I reckon just changing the outcome of Ched’s trial might have seen to the changing of the MK result. It wasn’t like he was just out injured, there was a while feeling around the fans and obviously the players that it was all over.

If I could change one, it would be the game that got Blackwell sacked, as strange as that sounds. Even a respectable defeat against QPR would have seen him keep his job and although that season would have been absolute shite and a ball ache to watch, his sacking was the event that kick started the spiral into league one. He’d have gone at some point that season because his football was absolute non league standard but he’d have probably accumulated enough points to steer us clear of relegation. My guess is he would have been sacked for us not being close enough to the play offs rather than a relegation fight.

5 May 1979, 1 - 0 loss at Cambridge to take us out of the top 2 divisions for the first time in our history. ( I know we weren't mathematically relegated but we all knew we were).
2 May 1981, 0 - 1 loss to Walsall to become the first Sheffield team relegated to Division 4.

If you rewrite history you set in motion a different chain of events which might have led us to Chris Wilder never being our manager.

Agreed, I don’t think I’d change any of it pre-Wilder given it would have ultimately changed what we’ve enjoyed the last 4 years. You could easily say the Hull result at Wembley, but would Clough getting us to a Cup final then change the willingness to sack him the following year? Would promotion in 2012 have led to some mid-table nothingness under Wilson for a few years? The Footballing Butterfly Effect.

Back
Top Bottom