If you could bring back…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Makes me sad, imagine a back 3 of JOC, Egan and Anel. Chuck Bogel in RWB and RND as LWB we would be laughing.
We'd be getting close to Championship football perfection there... If the above happened i genuinely can't see one weakness in our team at this level and i think we'd do fairly well at PL level

Letting Walker go at that time was absolutely a disgrace

There have been some shockers , but that has to rank as one of the worst .

Anyone with the slightest knowledge and understanding of the game could see after only a few games that the lad had every attribute to go on and become an outstanding footballer .

Add to that the fact that he didn’t want to leave and that , including add ons the most we could receive for him was around £3 million .

Up until then , I had been a huge admirer of Kevin McCabe and what he had done for the club after the dark days of his various predecessors but that admiration rapidly disappeared after this deal , when he allowed himself to be well and truly shafted by Daniel Levy .

The werewolf to sit in front of the defensive so we can play Saturday's formation.

Let's see. I think we could use a midfielder who plays like this:

"he is neither a constructive nor a destructive [midfielder] alone; he is both at once. One moment you will see him falling back to the defence of his own goal, or checking the speedy rush of his wing; the next, he is up with his forwards, feeding them to a nicety, and always making the best of every opening. Where he gets his pace from is a mystery. He never seems to be racing, yet he must be moving at racing pace; he never seems to be exhausted, yet in a big game he is practically doing three men's work."

"This is one of the secrets of his greatness for very seldom when he has the ball is he deprived of it, whilst the accuracy of his wing passes, and the telling force of his punches straight across the field to an unprotected wing, spell danger to any kind of defence."

"Short yet solidly built and blessed with immense stamina, he was fast, resolute and brave. "

All this and, in his twenties, usually good for a goal every 4 or 5 games. He was a fine shot. Plus he had a big part - possibly the biggest at the time - in deciding on tactics. An intelligent player.

If I could have him as fit as modern players, it's no contest. Ernest Needham for me.

Having said that, I'd love to see William Foulke play a game in the modern era!

Walker would obviously be a good shout. As would Jags for his ability in midfield and defence…

But Can’t help but think what a 20 goal Michael brown would bring with his all around game, sat In The 2 next to Norwood. We’ve not really had consistent goals from midfield for a good few years and I reckon it would give us an extra dimension. And he could obviously do a bit of everything

That said if you had a deane upfront despite how well mcburnie is playing that would be an incredible option to have.
Don’t disagree with any of that beyond needing to specify 2002/03 season if we’re going for “consistent goals from midfield”?

Me , (obviously) I’d go for Dennis Longhorn - he’d really give all the whingers summat to properly whine about

Any historical Sheffield United player and introduce them into the current Sheffield United XI, who would it be and why? I know these sorts of threads pop up frequently and we are all well aligned with our greatest ever players, but looking at it in a bit more depth? Looking at the current squad and how they would fit.

Who’s place in the squad would they take?

What qualities do they have that we currently lack?

How would they compliment the current squad?

————————————————————

For me I will go for one that I suppose wouldn’t be everyone’s first choice.

Kyle Walker.

He’s an absolute athlete at both ends of the pitch and I think that even at this stage of the career, he would still be an animal within our current squad.

Don’t get me wrong, Georgious has been much improved this season….but walker would take his shirt straight of him.

His pace going forwards and hitting the bylines, along with his crossing ability would IMO be an improvement. He also brings the ability to cut in and create himself a attacking positions around the 18 yard box, for a RB / RWB, he has a decent ping on him.

I think he’s made for Norwoods angled balls out wide and has the athleticism to get forward to receive these sorts of passes. I also think him and Anel would be an absolutely devastating duo on that side of the pitch….. Berge, Doyle and Ndiaye would thrive with a player like this bombing down the right.
Alan Woodward - no contest.

My favourite 3 picks here because their positions we could be stronger in..

Kilgallon for LCB
Brown for CM
Beattie for ST

Agree, probably the obvious and easiest choice.

Plays a similar role to McBurnie, so would instantly fit the system.
Deane (like McBurnie) wasn’t a poacher like Sharp or Edwards, he was more of an all rounder.
good workrate, good link play/ passer (similar level to McBurnie
good finishing (better than McBurnie but not as good as Sharp or Edwards)
excellent at heading and excellent physicality (much much better than McBurnie)
Deane also had more pace than McBurnie and also a surprisingly good crosser of the ball when out on the wing.

Similar kind of player but better at virtually every aspect of forward play.
You could see opposition defenders looking nervous just because Deane was on the pitch, he had that presence.
Like you said his crossing was fantastic . Jock bryson scored a few back post headers from deans crosses

Put in all those sudgestions and get martin peters to manage them and we would still go down

Woodward, Currie and Michael Brown for sure but I'd love to see a young Geoff Salmons in the current side. Just the type of direct, box to box player who would thrive in this set up.

Back
Top Bottom