If you could bring back…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Any historical Sheffield United player and introduce them into the current Sheffield United XI, who would it be and why? I know these sorts of threads pop up frequently and we are all well aligned with our greatest ever players, but looking at it in a bit more depth? Looking at the current squad and how they would fit.

Who’s place in the squad would they take?

What qualities do they have that we currently lack?

How would they compliment the current squad?

————————————————————

For me I will go for one that I suppose wouldn’t be everyone’s first choice.

Kyle Walker.

He’s an absolute athlete at both ends of the pitch and I think that even at this stage of the career, he would still be an animal within our current squad.

Don’t get me wrong, Georgious has been much improved this season….but walker would take his shirt straight of him.

His pace going forwards and hitting the bylines, along with his crossing ability would IMO be an improvement. He also brings the ability to cut in and create himself a attacking positions around the 18 yard box, for a RB / RWB, he has a decent ping on him.

I think he’s made for Norwoods angled balls out wide and has the athleticism to get forward to receive these sorts of passes. I also think him and Anel would be an absolutely devastating duo on that side of the pitch….. Berge, Doyle and Ndiaye would thrive with a player like this bombing down the right.

Walker would obviously be a good shout. As would Jags for his ability in midfield and defence…

But Can’t help but think what a 20 goal Michael brown would bring with his all around game, sat In The 2 next to Norwood. We’ve not really had consistent goals from midfield for a good few years and I reckon it would give us an extra dimension. And he could obviously do a bit of everything

That said if you had a deane upfront despite how well mcburnie is playing that would be an incredible option to have.

Brian deane instead of mcburnie

Agree, probably the obvious and easiest choice.

Plays a similar role to McBurnie, so would instantly fit the system.
Deane (like McBurnie) wasn’t a poacher like Sharp or Edwards, he was more of an all rounder.
good workrate, good link play/ passer (similar level to McBurnie
good finishing (better than McBurnie but not as good as Sharp or Edwards)
excellent at heading and excellent physicality (much much better than McBurnie)
Deane also had more pace than McBurnie and also a surprisingly good crosser of the ball when out on the wing.

Similar kind of player but better at virtually every aspect of forward play.
You could see opposition defenders looking nervous just because Deane was on the pitch, he had that presence.

Walker would obviously be a good shout. As would Jags for his ability in midfield and defence…

But Can’t help but think what a 20 goal Michael brown would bring with his all around game, sat In The 2 next to Norwood. We’ve not really had consistent goals from midfield for a good few years and I reckon it would give us an extra dimension. And he could obviously do a bit of everything

That said if you had a deane upfront despite how well mcburnie is playing that would be an incredible option to have.

I genuinely can’t think of a better attacking midfield presence, in and around the 18 yard box…. Since browny.

Any historical Sheffield United player and introduce them into the current Sheffield United XI, who would it be and why? I know these sorts of threads pop up frequently and we are all well aligned with our greatest ever players, but looking at it in a bit more depth? Looking at the current squad and how they would fit.

Who’s place in the squad would they take?

What qualities do they have that we currently lack?

How would they compliment the current squad?

————————————————————

For me I will go for one that I suppose wouldn’t be everyone’s first choice.

Kyle Walker.

He’s an absolute athlete at both ends of the pitch and I think that even at this stage of the career, he would still be an animal within our current squad.

Don’t get me wrong, Georgious has been much improved this season….but walker would take his shirt straight of him.

His pace going forwards and hitting the bylines, along with his crossing ability would IMO be an improvement. He also brings the ability to cut in and create himself a attacking positions around the 18 yard box, for a RB / RWB, he has a decent ping on him.

I think he’s made for Norwoods angled balls out wide and has the athleticism to get forward to receive these sorts of passes. I also think him and Anel would be an absolutely devastating duo on that side of the pitch….. Berge, Doyle and Ndiaye would thrive with a player like this bombing down the right.
Can I suggest an additional requirement?

Who would that player replace, say in yesterday's first eleven?

Michael Brown back to get more goals scored from midfield. 22 Goals in 02-03 season. Very unlikely any of present midfield payers will score as many as Brown got
Brown scored about 50 goals in his career, of which 22 were in that one season, which leaves an average of 2-3 goals a season through the rest of his career. He was only a goal scoring midfielder for one freak season (great though that season was).

Jimmy Hagan, or Harry Johnson Jr. One for to the creativity or the other for his goalscoring ability. Maybe Jimmy Dunne or Fred Tunstall too.

In truth, none of the above in their pomp would probably make it in the modern game due to the changes in the game since, so I'd be tempted to say Deane or Hodges from the modern era, but historically, Hagan or Harry Johnson Jr.

On reflection, maybe Fatty Foulke for the hilarity value.

Back
Top Bottom