If the PL season started in 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
https://www.myfootballfacts.com/sta...ier-league-2020-21/premier-league-table-2021/

1621279176455.png

Usually not a fan of these sort of statistics, and ok it's not earth shattering but thought it was kinda interesting:

Better than Southampton
Level with West Brom (despite their multiple signings and new manager)
Only 2 points off Villa (with a game in hand)

The lesson from that is the horror show we had at the start of the season. I've said it before but if Wilder was to go it should have been then before things were too late. If rumours that he tried to and the Prince stopped him are to believed, then that's on the Prince for not having a 'plan B'.

Water under the bridge, but refreshing that our form has taken us away from Loughborough/Derby style first division oblivion.

If we win our next two will take us to above a point a game for half the season.

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/sta...ier-league-2020-21/premier-league-table-2021/

View attachment 113118

Usually not a fan of these sort of statistics, and ok it's not earth shattering but thought it was kinda interesting:

Better than Southampton

The lesson from that is the horror show we had at the start of the season. I've said it before but if Wilder was to go it should have been then before things were too late. If rumours that he tried to and the Prince stopped him are to believed, then that's on the Prince for not having a 'plan B'.

Water under the bridge, but refreshing that our form has taken us away from Loughborough/Derby style first division oblivion.

If we win our next two will take us to above a point a game for half the season.

Can't blame the Prince for not letting Wilder go and then blame the Prince for letting Wilder go.

100% of Blades would have made the same decision to not accept his resignation if it was before Christmas.

I said at the time, before we beat Newcastle, that he had grounds to sack him, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think that may have been wise, as you'd imagine we'd have had a good chance of getting someone to take over at that point and weren't as far gone, but you can fully understand why he didn't and tried to hold on to him.

Can't blame the Prince for not letting Wilder go and then blame the Prince for letting Wilder go.

100% of Blades would have made the same decision to not accept his resignation if it was before Christmas.

I said at the time, before we beat Newcastle, that he had grounds to sack him, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think that might have been wise, as you'd imagine we'd have had a good chance of getting someone to take over at that point and weren't as far gone.

I referred to 'The Holloway example' when Crystal Palace were in the same position early in the season. The chairman begged him to stay but he walked out regardless, which gave them time and a chance to stay up which they did.

I understand why the Prince would have feared the wrath if Wilder left, however sentiment should not have come into the equation if Wilder's heart wasn't in it and he should have been ruthless. With that said I think there was no 'Plan B' for that time without Wilder so who knows who we would of and could of got.

I referred to 'The Holloway example' when Crystal Palace were in the same position early in the season. The chairman begged him to stay but he walked out regardless, which gave them time and a chance to stay up which they did.

I understand why the Prince would have feared the wrath if Wilder left, however sentiment should not have come into the equation if Wilder's heart wasn't in it and he should have been ruthless. With that said I think there was no 'Plan B' for that time without Wilder so who knows who we would of and could of got.

Probably would have still gone for someone like Jokanović, but if we'd done in early enough it'd have been pre-Brexit finalisation so maybe we could have sneaked Blessin in if he was on the radar, and similarly, if early enough more chance of getting a recent Prem manager like Howe for the season at least.

I can't really blame him for not having a plan B after last season though, he's on record as saying he wanted Wilder to be our Sir Alex and we were fighting for Europe last season with the LMA Manager of the year at the helm.

He'd have been as blindsided as the rest of us, and for someone without the Sheffield United fan pessimism which informed us we'd fucked it and were going down somewhere around October, he'd have believed Wilder would be the one to turn it around.

I still don't think he sacked him, I think he agreed to let him go, probably because he was getting increasingly pissed off at the sniping from Wilder. Mutual decision cop out but with more of it on the managers side than usual.

Wilder forced/let every player that didn't want to be here leave.

We should have treated him the same the first time. Get rid, refresh it. Instead, it hangs over us now.

To be honest, I absolutely loved wilder. If I’d caught him in bed with my Mrs I’d have thrown her out and jumped in myself. However, for me, my opinion of him completely changed the day he referred to ‘do gooders and lefties’. I thought it was incredibly out of character and as petty as it sounds it did put me off him quite a lot. I could have happily sat there losing all season with the intention of getting back up before that.

To be honest, I absolutely loved wilder. If I’d caught him in bed with my Mrs I’d have thrown her out and jumped in myself. However, for me, my opinion of him completely changed the day he referred to ‘do gooders and lefties’. I thought it was incredibly out of character and as petty as it sounds it did put me off him quite a lot. I could have happily sat there losing all season with the intention of getting back up before that.

Wilder's press conferences since the Leicester away game last season were a disgrace. I got huge stick for pointing this out:

https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads...em-were-playing-youre-talking-nonsense.84522/

I actually have a signed photo of him which I didn't take down because I cherish the best days and remember that as the 'true Wilder', in the same way you remember your passed away relatives when they were in their prime rather than in the hospice.

With that said you're judged from when you're at your worst, and Wilder was thoroughly dislikeable.

Yeah, I don't recall that interview but that's awful.

I did lose respect for him a bit when he just constantly refused to take any responsibility for anything. His players, his system, sure a few things were out of his hands but same for everyone else too (injuries, no fans) and he knew out budget because he'd been here for years, and he's seen it go from £6m for transfers which came from selling a player, to keeping everyone he wanted to and being given over a hundred million for players.

Wilder from League One to Lockdown is a different person to the one we've had since.

Think the break will do him well.

View attachment 113118

Better than Southampton

It seems we just didn't read the room very well.

The Prince had publicly backed Wilder and the decision was to stick with him. It didn't enter his head that Wilder wouldn't stick with us!

If the sentiment of him resigning was so deep that it became an inevitable situation, in hindsight he should have been allowed to go after the Palace game.

It seems we just didn't read the room very well.

The Prince had publicly backed Wilder and the decision was to stick with him. It didn't enter his head that Wilder wouldn't stick with us!

If the sentiment of him resigning was so deep that it became an inevitable situation, in hindsight he should have been allowed to go after the Palace game.

There was a poll of 75% in favour of Wilder not leaving on this forum after that match. You're right I'm sure the Prince was completely unprepared for this eventuality, which is surprising because he's seemed so professional but hey everyone makes mistakes.

If the Prince let him go after Palace the fanbase would have gone into meltdown and against him, more so if we didn't spend in January and went down anyway, I wonder if that was a consideration.

There was a poll of 75% in favour of Wilder not leaving on this forum after that match. You're right I'm sure the Prince was completely unprepared for this eventuality, which is surprising because he's seemed so professional but hey everyone makes mistakes.

If the Prince let him go after Palace the fanbase would have gone into meltdown and against him, more so if we didn't spend in January and went down anyway, I wonder if that was a consideration.
He probably didn't anticipate he'd resign three times over!

The main thing I take from these stats is that Allardyce is still shit and I'm glad we didn't appoint him.
Looking closer to home.

Ramsdale played a huge part in our relegation despite his post Christmas form.

We’ve drawn twice all season. That’s very unusual, even for relegated teams. And a lot of the defeats were by 1 goal.

Looking closer to home.

We’ve drawn twice all season. That’s very unusual, even for relegated teams. And a lot of the defeats were by 1 goal.
Thats nonsense mate. If we lost by one goal why blame the goalie and/or the defence.? Why not blame the forwards for not scoring that one goal.?
It was pointed out on here back last September that we did not have the firepower up front for the Prem. Wilder tried to solve it with Brewster and Mc Burnie and failed.
I thought the Ramsdale critics had been put out to grass now but there are still a few around looking at this.

Looking closer to home.

If you can go through all the games objectively and point out where he could have done better and how many points we'd have saved you might have a point. I'm guessing it's just a broad brush statement so you can't. I'd blame the forwards, midfielders and defenders as well for letting them shoot if I were looking closer to home.

Thats nonsense mate. If we lost by one goal why blame the goalie and/or the defence.? Why not blame the forwards for not scoring that one goal.?
It was pointed out on here back last September that we did not have the firepower up front for the Prem. Wilder tried to solve it with Brewster and Mc Burnie and failed.
I thought the Ramsdale critics had been put out to grass now but there are still a few around looking at this.
I made two points. I wasn’t suggesting they were directly linked. You’ve linked the two and concluded it as nonsense.

I remain highly critical of Ramsdale’s first half of season. I don’t remain a Ramsdale critic at this time as he is currently performing much closer to the level expected given the fee paid for him.

If you can go through all the games objectively and point out where he could have done better and how many points we'd have saved you might have a point. I'm guessing it's just a broad brush statement so you can't. I'd blame the forwards, midfielders and defenders as well for letting them shoot if I were looking closer to home.
I’m as likely to do that as you are to the contrary.

Call it what you will but Ramsdale was nowhere near good enough first half of the season. The attacking threat has been a problem since promotion and should have been sorted - agreed. That has no bearing on Ramsdale’s form.

View attachment 113118

Better than Southampton

Nobody made Wilder stay. He could have forfeited his severance and walked out at any point.

I’m as likely to do that as you are to the contrary.

Call it what you will but Ramsdale was nowhere near good enough first half of the season. The attacking threat has been a problem since promotion and should have been sorted - agreed. That has no bearing on Ramsdale’s form.
Ramsdale had a poor start, I have no doubt that it would have been a lot better if he'd had a functioning team of footballers in front of him.

I didn't even mention the attacking threat, last season we defended from the front, this season we've not pressed from the front, midfield has been as effective a chocolate fireguard and the defence has been makeshift and porous. That doesn't help a keeper to settle in very well. To blame it on Ramsdale is just scapegoating.

I made two points. I wasn’t suggesting they were directly linked. You’ve linked the two and concluded it as nonsense.

I remain highly critical of Ramsdale’s first half of season. I don’t remain a Ramsdale critic at this time as he is currently performing much closer to the level expected given the fee paid for him.
You only mentioned one player by name... Rammers and then went on to say he was responsible for relegation..!! Look at the Goals scored column..
.Do you expect any team to stay up with a record of 19 Goals scored.? 90% of the clubs above us have scored twice as many.!!!
Get real.
We have gone down due to lack of goal scoring ability, endemic thru the team. It was obvious early on and we failed to solve it.
I am/was a big fan of CW but have sadly concluded he reached the level of his own incompetence in the Prem.

You only mentioned one player by name... Rammers and then went on to say he was responsible for relegation..!! Look at the Goals scored column..
.Do you expect any team to stay up with a record of 19 Goals scored.? 90% of the clubs above us have scored twice as many.!!!
Get real.
We have gone down due to lack of goal scoring ability, endemic thru the team. It was obvious early on and we failed to solve it.
I am/was a big fan of CW but have sadly concluded he reached the level of his own incompetence in the Prem.
We've gone down not by lack of goal scoring, but by our inability to actually create chances. In the majority of games we've been neat and tidy but haven't presented our strikers with a sniff. Harry Kane would've only less than 10 in our side this season.

Get real.
I didn’t. There’s a dozen reasons why we went down. Only an idiot would put it down to a single cause.

Ramsdale had a poor start, I have no doubt that it would have been a lot better if he'd had a functioning team of footballers in front of him.

I didn't even mention the attacking threat, last season we defended from the front, this season we've not pressed from the front, midfield has been as effective a chocolate fireguard and the defence has been makeshift and porous. That doesn't help a keeper to settle in very well. To blame it on Ramsdale is just scapegoating.
I hate scapegoating so I wouldn’t do that. Neither do I blame it on Ramsdale - there are many contributing factors.

This thread discusses the season by comparing the first and second halves of it. Ramsdale was a huge let down during the first half of the season. So bad, many thought he should have been taken out of the spotlight at some point, for his own sake and possibly the teams sake. He wasn’t and it’s huge credit to him that he’s turned his personal form around despite that.

We were effectively down at the half way point, hence me forming the opinion that he played a huge part in relegation.

I hate scapegoating so I wouldn’t do that. Neither do I blame it on Ramsdale - there are many contributing factors.

This thread discusses the season by comparing the first and second halves of it. Ramsdale was a huge let down during the first half of the season. So bad, many thought he should have been taken out of the spotlight at some point, for his own sake and possibly the teams sake. He wasn’t and it’s huge credit to him that he’s turned his personal form around despite that.

We were effectively down at the half way point, hence me forming the opinion that he played a huge part in relegation.
What about the other 10 on the pitch? Are they absolved of all responsibility because Ramsdale was dodgy for a few games at the start of the season?!

Back
Top Bottom