If Only We’d ..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As with various other players way back when, Burn was reportedly on our radar for some time, as was Callum Wilson when he was at Coventry, coincidentally playing alongside Leon Clarke.
Trouble is we've never really shown the ambition needed to push this club forward. Yes, I know, with hindsight anyone can suggest we'd have done better if we'd signed player X, Y, or Z but we've Poodled along, sometimes signing talented player but inevitably having to sell to survive.

As with various other players way back when, Burn was reportedly on our radar for some time, as was Callum Wilson when he was at Coventry, coincidentally playing alongside Leon Clarke.
Trouble is we've never really shown the ambition needed to push this club forward. Yes, I know, with hindsight anyone can suggest we'd have done better if we'd signed player X, Y, or Z but we've Poodled along, sometimes signing talented player but inevitably having to sell to survive.
I remember that Maradona chap..
He went on to be quite good as well🤩🤩

A lad who I worked with in Leeds went to school with him. Said he wasn’t even in the top 10 players at the school and was a bit of a mystery.

....and Ray Houghton whilst at Oxford....

Burn is alright, think he’s our Billy Sharp, it’s his boyhood club etc

But as usual, we are outshone by our porcine neighbours when it comes to ‘missing out’ on a player

“Can we extend your trial by another week Eric, need to prove you can play on grass”😂😂

Sheffield’s No1 (fuck it up) club

Burn is alright, think he’s our Billy Sharp, it’s his boyhood club etc

But as usual, we are outshone by our porcine neighbours when it comes to ‘missing out’ on a player

“Can we extend your trial by another week Eric, need to prove you can play on grass”😂😂

Sheffield’s No1 (fuck it up) club

We decided to not pursue Maradona when we thought the price was too high of course.... so I think we win that one.

We decided to not pursue Maradona when we thought the price was too high of course.... so I think we win that one.
That’s pretty shit

But if we couldn’t afford him at the time that’s one thing

Refusing to sign Cantona with 200 league games behind him as you’ve only seen him indoors is the stuff of legends

Could have signed Ivan Toney, but went for Brewster for double the price.

I just don't think Toney and Wilder wanted to work together again. One of them innit.

Could have signed Ivan Toney, but went for Brewster for double the price.

Agree...but there would have been uproar from the fanbase choosing the cheap option of an untested very raw league 1 player.

Ironically this was the time the club pushed the boat out showing ambition to buy the new Michael Owen.
He was one of the hottest young English talents in the game. Brewster had already shown signs he was too good the the Championship at Swansea.
Liverpool fans were horrified he was to be sold. Remember loads of our fans complaining that we were dragging it out trying to lower their 25 miil price tag.
Some even said "United won't be buying Brewster because we lack ambition. There's no way we're buying one of the hottest talents in English football".

Comments on this board were "it's a no brainer, pay 25 mill now and when he's breaking into the England team in 2 or 3 years, he'll be worth 50 mill"
Also comments like "stop trying to penny pinch with the salaries, just pay him whatever he wants".

Actually throughout our recent history for the past few decades. All our best signings have been cheap options, when ever we've shown ambition they've generally failed.
There was a common saying.....Warnock is brilliant in the transfer marker buying cast offs but give him money to spend and he's hopeless.
The same could be said for Wilder too.

Thought his family decided he was too young to go and live in another country?
We had a bid accepted, and then they raised the price. Our chairman then goes, fuck that, we'll buy this guy instead (sabella)

No we got Sabella a bit cheaper saved 100 grand or so ...in retrospect maybe not our finest hour recruitment wise

Satellite was £160k. An established first teamer.

They wanted £500k for Maradona, a prospect.

Always easy to knock the board, but Maradona would have been a big gamble, especially given we still owed £1m on the South Stand.

Obviously hindsight makes it a no-brainer.

Thought his family decided he was too young to go and live in another country?
Everything was agreed and one of our directors who was wealthy arranged for the transfer fee to go to Argentinos Juniors. Maradona was ready to come to us and then the Argentinos Juniors President asked for an extra fee for himself so we called it off

If we'd paid up early we'd have got Maradona for 250k a bag of balls and a reserve kit but we dithered and they had time to work out the exchange rate

Everything was agreed and one of our directors who was wealthy arranged for the transfer fee to go to Argentinos Juniors. Maradona was ready to come to us and then the Argentinos Juniors President asked for an extra fee for himself so we called it off
Load of bollocks, everyone knows Maradona wanted a hand job every match or was that Hand of god ?
perhaps I'm confused 🤣

Didn't the Junta also knock on someone's door because they weren't ready for him to leave the country?

I was in the same hotel as Burn the other year, he told me he was very close to signing for us and had a medical, he didn’t say what had happened just that there was a last minute hitch and it didn’t happen.

Back
Top Bottom