Iconic SUFC Images

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1036092_crop_north.jpg
This player, in this shirt...
Great shirt (I still have mine with laces), great footballer could have been (Even more of) a leg-end given the chance.

Looks like the photo was from a match in Elland Road in 1972 (we were wearing the "away" socks of black with red tops). Not sure if it was either the 1-0 defeat in January (Allan Clarke scored with a header) or the 2-1 defeat in November (Tom McAlister was carried off unconscious (after colliding with Mick Bates with Clarke tapping in the 2nd goal) and Woody took over in goal
You're probably right SB,although I wondered if it could have been the 0-0 in 1974...the picture below is from that game.

image.jpg

You're probably right SB,although I wondered if it could have been the 0-0 in 1974...the picture below is from that game.

View attachment 9318
Yes it is the Easter Monday match in 1974. I was going to go to the match but after the 4-1 defeat at Derby two days earlier had made me tell my dad that I didnt fancy travelling to L**ds who were well ahead at the top of the table. We played them at home on Easter Tuesday and lost 2-0. There were so many L**ds fans that night

Great thread, this.

It's a real longshot but does anyone have a picture showing Mick Jones scoring at the Bramall Lane end against Birmingham City in 1964? It's taken from directly behind the goal and shows the great man burying a right-footed shot from about six yards out despite a despairing lunge from a City defender. I first saw it a few years back on a website called "devotedtosport" which had an eclectic mix of pretty random images from the past which you could have printed on mugs, t-shirts etc. That website has now disappeared and the operation has clearly been taken over by an allegedly "slicker" organisation called "gonedigging" which has just sanitised the whole thing.

The significance of the picture for me is that it was my first ever United game - fiftieth anniversary next week - and I had it as a screensaver on an old computer which I scrapped without saving the image as it was still on the DTS website at the time.

If anyone has it or knows where it can be viewed I'd be delighted to hear from them.

View attachment 9318
Keith Eddy in that picture I think ,was reading Rednapps biography yesterday and he says after he left Utd Eddy ran to try and get Bobby Moores shirt when they played in the American league after a Seattle game but was beaten to it by Rivelino.

Keith Eddy in that picture I think ,was reading Rednapps biography yesterday and he says after he left Utd Eddy ran to try and get Bobby Moores shirt when they played in the American league after a Seattle game but was beaten to it by Rivelino.
I can't help thinking that must have been a tough decision for Bobby Moore though Sitwell...Keith Eddy or Rivelino?...errrr?

[
Picture my grandad took ,think its in the 50s, I have no idea who against
The 5th floodlight pylon (behind middle of John Street Stand) was put up in 1958, the smaller pylons were replaced in 1961-62 season so this photo would have been taken between summer 1958 and summer 1961. I cannot see the shirts the opponents were wearing well enough

We don't seem to do the balloons much anymore like we did here before the 2-2 draw with the pigs .........

Image021_zpsd1a8b924.jpg
I'd recognise that doom and gloom anywhere it's against Wigan when got relegated , it also says Leighton baines on the score board

We don't seem to do the balloons much anymore like we did here before the 2-2 draw with the pigs .........

Image021_zpsd1a8b924.jpg

That's not vs. Weds. Look at the name on the scoreboard...
A tad embarrassing to release all those balloons for a relegation sudden death game.

BillySharpJamesBeattie.jpg

Zaphod Beeblebrox used to play for the Blades you know, in a life at the other end of the Universe.
The Beattie head was so aggressive it bit off one of the hands and spat it out

That 'like' was purely sympathetic you understand.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom