CONFIRMED HSBC Sports Ground - New first team training centre

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Where will the gangs of Dore meet the gangs of Whirlow to decide who’s the hardest?

In all seriousness, it’s a great buy. I would’ve thought some things will still need to be built. Id be interested to know if we have our sites set on the field opposites, where the old Sheffield College pavilion is?

That's a good shout. That piece of land has been derelict for years.

That's brilliant news, although probably a few years too late.

I always thought Norton aerodrome was the best solution, but this one is also an great site in the ideal location.

Does anyway know the size of it and how it compares to other clubs training grounds? Having played there a few times myself, it doesn't feel massive, but I can't say I've ever been to a modern day training ground to compare.

Nicking some images off google maps at the same scale, for a club that we would hope to emulate.

Brightons training ground

1709829980005.png

HSBC Sports ground

1709830093925.png

So unless we buy more land and divert some roads, it will be substantially smaller.

Man Cities raining ground at same scale for the lols

1709830283053.png

4.1 miles to Bramall Lane - that's the pre-season bin liner runs sorted.

Sheffield United is thrilled to announce a deal has been struck to significantly enhance the club's off-field infrastructure.

After months of detailed discussions and planning behind the scenes, the club can now confirm an agreement is in place to purchase land for the development of a new first team training centre.

Taking time to scour the city for a suitable location, the club have secured the site of the HSBC Sports and Social Club in Dore, with the aim of developing the area to become the new home of our men's first team.

The new state-of-the-art training centre will include two full sized Desso pitches, additional grass and all-weather pitches, first team offices, a gymnasium and potential player residential accommodation. Further details will follow in due course.

The club will also retain the current training headquarters at Shirecliffe, which will solely be used by the Academy, with further scope to develop the site towards the long-term end goal of achieving Category One status.

On the announcement of this significant news, United's chief executive officer Stephen Bettis said:

"This is fantastic news for the long-term development of the club and another huge commitment from Prince Abdullah and the club's board to the continued improvement of our infrastructure. For well over three years, we have been working hard to secure land within the city to take our training facilities to the next level, and by securing the site in Dore, our patience has finally paid off.

"The site gives us everything required to ensure Sheffield United will have one of the top training facilities around, and by moving the first team away from Shirecliffe, we have space to develop the Academy to be able to eventually meet Category One status.

"This is a significant investment in the football club. It will give us a long-lasting legacy from being back in the Premier League and will give the first team a solid foundation for future success for many years to come."

Nicking some images off google maps at the same scale, for a club that we would hope to emulate.

View attachment 180282

HSBC Sports ground

View attachment 180285

So unless we buy more land and divert some roads, it will be substantially smaller.

View attachment 180286

As I suspected then haha.

There's probably only room for four pitches on that current site, which is the same as at Shirecliffe. There are playing fields to the East and West though, which presumably the club will have their eye on for expansion. So eight full size pitches across two sites, plus the possibility for more.

Brighton's looks to have 10 full size pitches, so it's not actually much difference, but obviously all at the one site is preferable.

This is interesting. I was in the gym yesterday, when someone who presumably works for HSBC was discussing the fact they had all been told earlier that day that the site was to shut in June.

The guy he was telling mentioned united, but they both agreed it was too small for that purpose etc, so didn't think it was realistic.

Oh well

As a side note, it's a little disappointing that Sheffield loses one of its better amateur football grounds. Due to the topography of the place, we don't have many good facilities for grassroots football.

You'd like to think the riches of the Premier League would in some way filter down to the maintenance/creation of these facilities , especially when a Premier League club nicks them in the first place. For whatever reason though, it's getting worse as more money comes in to the game.

Don’t forget it’s just the first team training ground so no need for all the pitches like Brighton have, theirs is the academy, the women’s, first team etc.. we have Shirecliffe for the academy

Genuine question as I don’t know the answer: Are there many (any) other clubs who have separate facilities for their first team compared to academy?

Some good news for a change, used to go there in the early 70’s before the bank bought it.

Long road ahead, let’s hope the planning process bucks the trend and is quicker than 12-18 months.
Ir would be madness for us to have bought it without having some pretty watertight guarantees from the Council over planning. Should hopefully be quick.

View attachment 180282

HSBC Sports ground

View attachment 180285

View attachment 180286
New 1st Team Location Comparison.jpg

TBF, it's not hugely different in terms of total coverage although the shape of the site isn't ideal for expansion. When you think this is just for 1st team operations, I recon there's plenty of space for activities.

Back
Top Bottom