How is Chris Doing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Honeymoon period is over.

After an initial upturn I feel like we're heading backwards. The positive is that we look more like scoring goals than before but the defence is almost back to pre-Wilder comedic value.

Until this mob can defend, we're on a hiding to nothing.

We scored 2 goals against Palace, Brighton, West Ham and Luton and have only come away with a point and are out of the cup.

Wilder and Knill need to find away to make defending simple for the simpletons we have playing at the back to know their jobs and execute them i.e. stop letting the opposition shoot at the goal and stop making your goalkeeper (whoever that may be) look like an idiot. Prime Buffon, Oblak, Schmeichel would look like numpties behind these.

Doesn't help when the likes of Bogle and AA are frustrated attackers playing at the back to make a living as footballers.

Not really Wilder's fault because he has to work with what he's got. All boils down to rotten recruitment, again.

Quite simply, if this team had the ability to defend until the final whistle, we'd probably be another 6 or 7 points better off and be in a position where we feel like we're in the fight.

The squad we have been left with consists of Euro-dregs wastemen and championship potatoes. I think he's doing as well as he can with what he's got.

Yep the dead cat bounce of a new manager is over looking at the last few games Wilder is getting no more of a tune out of the players than Hecky could. There is a saying you can't polish a turd, having played every formation and choice of player we are still no closer to defending better the only real improvement is we are scoring goals, not much use scoring 2 goals though and still losing. We have the worst defence in Premier league history not helped by a piss poor midfield. Anyone thinking promotion challenge next season may as well forget that notion more chance of a relegation fight.

Yep the dead cat bounce of a new manager is over looking at the last few games Wilder is getting no more of a tune out of the players than Hecky could. There is a saying you can't polish a turd, having played every formation and choice of player we are still no closer to defending better the only real improvement is we are scoring goals, not much use scoring 2 goals though and still losing. We have the worst defence in Premier league history not helped by a piss poor midfield. Anyone thinking promotion challenge next season may as well forget that notion more chance of a relegation fight.
Surely what happens next season depends on how well we recruit in the summer and how good 4/5 of the young layers are at Championship level.
I don‘t think of can write off next season whilst those two entities are unclear.

Surely what happens next season depends on how well we recruit in the summer and how good 4/5 of the young layers are at Championship level.
I don‘t think of can write off next season whilst those two entities are unclear.
If next summer's recruitment is anything like last summer's recruitment ........................................................

If next summer's recruitment is anything like last summer's recruitment ........................................................
Last summer’s recruitment would be great for the Championship !!

The squad is poor.

If we are 'starting again' in the summer, how many players would you retain ideally:

Grbic, Baldock, Trusty, RND, Souza (?), Hamer, Brooks, Arblaster, McBurnie, Osula, Jebbison

Wow.

The squad we have been left with consists of Euro-dregs wastemen and championship potatoes. I think he's doing as well as he can with what he's got.
you are right mate .We knew before the season kick off that we were doomed no matter who the manager was . Lost our best two players and it took an age to bring others in who were not the same quality add a few 3, 4 , 5 million pound players who came through the door 5 or 6 weeks after the season had started . Add them all to players who were here during league one days years ago and send them out on the pitch against 80, 90, million pound players and when things go wrong blame the manager . We could change the manager every month and it would not change a thing Ted . The problem is not the manager the problem is not the players who might try their best but are totally out of their depth .

Things are better. Well short of competing, but better. Better in about every measurable respect, I'd think. We look like scoring a few goals now, which is at least something to give me an occasional dopamine boost.

Probably best summed up by saying the way we were before Wilder I think last night would've been another 5-0 loss. Instead we lost 3-2 and got a chance to dream for a few minutes. Can't really fault the guy for not achieving what looked impossible.

We've played 5 at the back twice, both away games against teams in the top 4. Every other game has been played with 4 at the back with the exception of forty minutes against Luton.

Liverpool: 4-5-1
Brentford: 4-3-3
Chelsea: 4-1-4-1
Villa: 5-4-1
Luton: 4-4-2 (to half time) / 5-3-2 (to 86 mins) / 4-1-2-3
City: 5-4-1
Coming back to this...

Liverpool: 4-5-1 - lost, arguably harshly
Brentford: 4-3-3 - won
Chelsea: 4-1-4-1 - lost deservedly
Villa: 5-4-1 - drew, conceding last minute goal
Luton: 4-4-2 (to half time) / 5-3-2 (to 86 mins) / 4-1-2-3 - lost, threw it away.
City: 5-4-1 - lost deservedly
Gillingham (FA): 4-3-2-1 - won comfortably (against limited opposition)
West Ham: 4-1-4-1 - drew, better side for long spells
Palace: 4-1-4-1 - lost but Palace needed wonder goals
Villa: 5-4-1 - lost embarrassingly
Brighton (FA): 4-4-2 - eventually hammered
Luton: 5-4-1 - won convincingly
Brighton: 5-4-1 / 5-4-0 / 4-4-1 - lost embarrassingly

In short, since Wilder defaulted to his safe space (5 at the back) we've managed to concede 10 goals in two home games but convincingly dispatch everyone else's bogey team Luton. This would suggest that there's a role for the three centre halves in games where the opposition are unfamiliar with the expectation that they control the game (eg Everton) but for every other game we play it's clearly a busted flush.

Given what he went with against City, Villa (twice) and Brighton, Wilder will almost certainly go with 5-4-1 against Arsenal on Monday and given what's happened recently we're in line for another heavy defeat. If there's any prospect of him staying beyond the summer it's time for him to show some nous and come up with something unexpected: 4-2-3-1 with Osborn shadowing Declan Rice and Souza close to Ødegaard maybe.

Coming back to this...

Luton: 4-4-2 (to half time) / 5-3-2 (to 86 mins) / 4-1-2-3 - lost, threw it away.

In short, since Wilder defaulted to his safe space (5 at the back) we've managed to concede 10 goals in two home games but convincingly dispatch everyone else's bogey team Luton. This would suggest that there's a role for the three centre halves in games where the opposition are unfamiliar with the expectation that they control the game (eg Everton) but for every other game we play it's clearly a busted flush.

Given what he went with against City, Villa (twice) and Brighton, Wilder will almost certainly go with 5-4-1 against Arsenal on Monday and given what's happened recently we're in line for another heavy defeat. If there's any prospect of him staying beyond the summer it's time for him to show some nous and come up with something unexpected: 4-2-3-1 with Osborn shadowing Declan Rice and Souza close to Ødegaard maybe.

Excellent analysis, my first thought would be, maybe it only works on teams with a Championship mentality, the tester would be Burnley, if we played 5 at the back there and got hammered I’m wrong.

Just can’t remember the formation, the whole day has been intentionally wiped from my mind.

Excellent analysis, my first thought would be, maybe it only works on teams with a Championship mentality, the tester would be Burnley, if we played 5 at the back there and got hammered I’m wrong.

Just can’t remember the formation, the whole day has been intentionally wiped from my mind.
It was under Heckingbottom so of course it was 5-3-2. Rigid to the point of breaking.

Foderingham
Baldock - Ahmedhodzic - Robinson - Trusty - Thomas
Hamer - Norwood - Fleck
McBurnie - Archer

Baldock went off injured on 25 minutes (1-0) and McBurnie was sent off on 45 (2-0). Heckingbottom brought on Traoré, McAtee and Osula at half time as we switched to 4-4-1

Foderingham
Bogle - Ahmedhodzic - Robinson - Trusty
McAtee - Hamer - Norwood - Traoré
Osula

Last time we played Arsenal, we started with a back 4. We lost 5-0.

True but we also had Norwood stinking the place out so were effectively playing without a central midfield.

Coming back to this...

Tried more formations than I imagined.

I’d suggest the 10-0-0 one next!

4 games this month all in the league (FEB)

Villa H lost 5-0
Luton A won 3-1
Brighton H lost 5-0
Wolves A lost 1-0

Next Month (Mar)
Arsenal H, Bournemouth A, Man U A, Fulham H
Current Position:
Bottom of the league, 11 points from safety with 12 to play
Here are the stats since wilders return (just the league)

February.png

Captain Pugwash just about as shit as Hecky.
On xG, Heckingbottom should have had 2 points from 14 games (he got 5). Wilder should have had 9 points from his 12 games in charge (he's got 8). The main difference is that the "not lost" on xG has moved from 14% under Heckingbottom to 58% under Wilder. It's pretty much incontrovertible that Wilder has improved us but that we continue to be undermined by a fundamental lack of quality in both defence and attack.

Heckingbottom / Wilder
xG/game 0.68 / 1.03
Goals/game 0.79 / 0.92
xGA/game 2.14 / 1.75
GA/game 2.79 / 2.25
xPts/game 0.14 / 0.75
Points/game 0.36 / 0.67

On xG, Heckingbottom should have had 2 points from 14 games (he got 5). Wilder should have had 9 points from his 12 games in charge (he's got 8). The main difference is that the "not lost" on xG has moved from 14% under Heckingbottom to 58% under Wilder. It's pretty much incontrovertible that Wilder has improved us but that we continue to be undermined by a fundamental lack of quality in both defence and attack.

Heckingbottom / Wilder
xG/game 0.68 / 1.03
Goals/game 0.79 / 0.92
xGA/game 2.14 / 1.75
GA/game 2.79 / 2.25
xPts/game 0.14 / 0.75
Points/game 0.36 / 0.67
Note that Wes wasn’t making monumental fuck ups throughout the course of Heckys stint this season.

His fuck ups against Villa and Luton in particular did some real damage to any chances of us getting back in the relegation scrap. Shite.

Judging by his post match presser yesterday he’s lost the plot with the local media again, it didn’t take long for his interviews to go from ‘chipper’ to ‘get me the fuck out of here’.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Reckon this could be his last management role. It's clear his good run with us was a fluke. Since then he was shit at Middlesborough, shit at Watford and shit with us for a second time.

Seemed perfectly fine to me. Ebullient even
The response to the first question where he was asked about the contrast in last weeks performance to this weeks was poor for me. He’s being confrontational now, he wanted to be the interviewers mate a few weeks ago. I get it, he expected to not concede 15 goals in 3 home games but it happened!

Might as well stay till the end of the season then cheerio
Please don’t let him loose in the championship and spunk more money on dross

Back
Top Bottom