"Hey Nick...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

... go on Twitter and see if United fans would be happy to have Chris Wilder back."

This is how our club is run

View attachment 175557

You don't know the half, not just our club but large swathes of the country.

Nick is a very powerful man - he garners opinion on Twitter (now X) and seismic decisions are made as a direct result.

When I saw this post I thought it was a cry out for Nick Monty Montgomery. Why is his name not being mentioned? ( apologies if it has on another thread) . 100% Blade fantastic work ethic . Who’s with me ? What say you ⚔️
Christ - his name HAS been mentioned on at least two other threads. What has he done.? He was a crap footballer so no credentials to support his being our manager. Stop it.

Monty needs another job, first. One in the championship with a bit more pressure. Then, see.

Only drawback is if that job is someone with an outside chance of success and he nails it, then you're never getting back in. But for now, we're a step too far for him, IMO.
Yeh on balance true but desperate times = desperate measures mate

Christ - his name HAS been mentioned on at least two other threads. What has he done.? He was a crap footballer so no credentials to support his being our manager. Stop it.
Thanks for the update

Not that I'm advocating for Montgomery as manager but being a crap footballer or otherwise has very little to do with being a good manager.

Nick is a very powerful man - he garners opinion on Twitter (now X) and seismic decisions are made as a direct result.

Certainly makes you think...

Did he believe “it wasn’t butter”?

Because if he didn’t then his opinion isn’t worth shit……

I have no idea what qualifies you to say he was a crap footballer, but many professional opponents through the years have said they hated playing against him so maybe that is one credential he's got.

I really don't want Wilder to be our next manager.

But even I'd rather he come in now rather than stick with PH.

That's how bad we are.

Agree, for the long term I’d prefer a highly rated up and coming manager but think the timing is wrong. It’s like playing a highly rated youngster against Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Throwing anyone in the deep end can destroy confidence and break progress.

So being logical, regards this season we either stick with Hecky and become a laughing stock breaking records where we risk becoming the worse top flight side in history or we bring in Wilder where we are gauranteed to show effort and fight and will be competitive with tactics to try and win.

Not that I'm advocating for Montgomery as manager but being a crap footballer or otherwise has very little to do with being a good manager.
Actually, there is fairly strong correlation with being a crap/average player and good/great manager. On average obviously, with some exceptional outliers (Clough).

I heard someone made an argument that the game comes more naturally to truly great players, which acts a barrier to articulating ideas as a manager. Makes a bit of sense.

Actually, there is fairly strong correlation with being a crap/average player and good/great manager. On average obviously, with some exceptional outliers (Clough).

I heard someone made an argument that the game comes more naturally to truly great players, which acts a barrier to articulating ideas as a manager. Makes a bit of sense.

Yes I had an idea that it tended towards weaker players but even then there's plenty of exceptions. Zidane has won the CL as a player and manager, his old buddy Deschamps won the World Cup as a player and manager, as did Franz Beckenbauer. Alex Ferguson was a perfectly good Centre Forward, if not quite great, as was Don Revie.

I'm not sure there's any one pattern to discern except this: great players are more likely to get decent jobs early into their managerial careers and therefore their failures are more high profile.

Yes I had an idea that it tended towards weaker players but even then there's plenty of exceptions. Zidane has won the CL as a player and manager, his old buddy Deschamps won the World Cup as a player and manager, as did Franz Beckenbauer. Alex Ferguson was a perfectly good Centre Forward, if not quite great, as was Don Revie.

I'm not sure there's any one pattern to discern except this: great players are more likely to get decent jobs early into their managerial careers and therefore their failures are more high profile.
Very true. In addition both Zidane and Deschamps have worked with world class squads. Which always helps. The counter argument I suppose is truly great players will have typically worked under exceptional coaches to learn from. You’re right about opportunities. Lampard and Gerard always felt like they hadn’t served their apprenticeships. If I was advising Lampard I’d say find a L1 project and see some winters.

Certainly makes you think...
I thought your big ITK from the start of the year was the owner/board wanted Wilder and would dump Hecky?
I mean he’s giving them a huge excuse to do so, yet they’re keeping their powder dry and instead use a useful idiot to check the fan temperature before finally acting?

Very odd?

Agree, for the long term I’d prefer a highly rated up and coming manager but think the timing is wrong. It’s like playing a highly rated youngster against Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal. Throwing anyone in the deep end can destroy confidence and break progress.

So being logical, regards this season we either stick with Hecky and become a laughing stock breaking records where we risk becoming the worse top flight side in history or we bring in Wilder where we are gauranteed to show effort and fight and will be competitive with tactics to try and win.

Thing is with Wilder I think we still will continue to be a laughing stock and breaking records yet we probably have a slightly better chance of reaching 12 points this season which is the only objective that matters imho.

100% new it………tampering with election results state side, deep state Nick or In good and deep with Illuminati Nick.

😂😂

I'm in agreement but we don't have enough fans willing to give a foreign manager enough patience.
Fans don't care if the manager comes from Timbuctoo or the Manor.
The problem is, a foreign manager will not be familiar with our "Get by without quality" and the shit club mentality.

A foreign manager will come in and assume that a Premier League club will have good players who the current manager can't get to gel. A bit like when Slav got the job.
It'll only be when Jonny foreigner is in the job and tries to formulate a basic plan that involves a bit of football breaking out every now and then that he will realise what an absolute basket case he has taken on.

I never thought I'd say it, but only Neil Warnock can work this backward club the way this backward club wants to work

I’ve absolutely no idea how Hecky has survived today. I’m genuinely intrigued as to what’s happening currently.

He should have gone prior to the Wolves game during the international break. Sentimentally we decided to give him a chance in the more winnable games which he’s completely messed up.

He’s survived because The Prince has given up & does not care. So why would he fork out any money to sack Hecky & then have to pay a new manager, when he can change nothing ……end result will be the same….we will still be relegated. He is not a fan…does not live here….so does not care about the ridicule and embarrassment.

never thought I'd say it, but only Neil Warnock can work this backward club the way this backward club wants to work
Nothing personal intended here (I think you're trying to say what I'm saying in a roundabout way!) but it's this type of localised thinking that holds the club back. The myth that it needs a Mr Sheffield United is utter nonsense. If we only ever go down this road we'll never break the mould.

Nothing personal intended here (I think you're trying to say what I'm saying in a roundabout way!) but it's this type of localised thinking that holds the club back. The myth that it needs a Mr Sheffield United is utter nonsense. If we only ever go down this road we'll never break the mould.
Yes, I'd like a modern thinking manager, but the mentality of the entire club from the top of the boardroom to the fanbase has to change for that to happen.
Slavisa Jokanovic is a good manager, we turned him into a crap one

And a few others including Wilson, Clough, Spackman tried to get us playing football in a better style, but eventually lost all hope of succeeding leading to clear and obvious stress and even depression, mumbling in front of TV cameras, not giving a toss how the team sets up or plays, and eventually the sack.

My comment basically means for the way United are, Warnock is just about the only man on the planet that could get us up to a semi reasonable points total this season.

The club can't change it's scouting, training, tactics, commercial viability or dole class image in five minutes, so whilst it embraces it's dole class image and is proud of it, Warnock is the man.

We could have still been with Jokanovic if we'd been a little more patient, but instead we wanted instant success and instant promotion. We might even have learned to play four at the back eventually!!

Not sure why we hired him and didn't let him bring in the wingers he needed to play his formation.

I once stood next to him in the concourse at the Lane and was surprised how big he is, and no I wasn't at the urinals at the time!

The lickspittles have been taking the temperature on various things for a while now. Wilder is one; sacking Hecky another.

Points in Wilder's favour;

1) Has managed expertly on a tight budget at many clubs.

2) Runs his own recruitment which was excellent below the PL. A football staff that can recruit is imperative as United World have comprehensively proven not to have any idea how to acquire good players. Whoever the next manager is he has to take on this remit.

3)Has an excellent record at motivating players. The results were bad when we went down.under Wilder but it never reached the stage it has with Hecky.

4) He'll sort the fitness issues out.

Concerns:

1) Are he and PA compatible? I have doubts that all grievances can be solved and buried.They have to be.

2) Is he ruthless enough to turn this squad over when there are Wilder era players still here he might have (mistaken) loyalty too? We need the Wilder that bombed out Woolford and Hammond, not the guy that continued to play Lundstram the year we went down.

3) I have a feeling the United journey took a lot from him and tested his psyche. Does he have the desire and energy to go again? It's a hard job and an even harder one for a Blade.
Regarding point 1 - I’m fairly sure Wilder and PA are on good terms now.

Regarding point 1 - I’m fairly sure Wilder and PA are on good terms now.

Both on speaking terms but wilder coming back, doesn't cheer me up because what he done since, he left the club.

Back
Top Bottom