Henderson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In 1962, the Soviet Union went out in the quarter-finals, defeated 2-1 by host nation Chile. Yashin, then 32, had not performed to his best. Two soft goals contributed to his team’s downfall and the single Russian language report of the game painted him as the scapegoat.
When the team returned from South America, angry supporters greeted them at the airport. There were signs reading “Yashin retire” and “Time to get your pension”. The windows of Yashin’s home were smashed, insulting messages were left on his car, threatening letters arrived in the post. He called these days the “most bitter of my football life”.

source: Yashin, BBC

Erm... Shilton in 1973.... England vs Poland... crucial world cup qualifier. Weetabix save from a tame shot
Deffo howler. Shilton said he learned from that mistake and improved his game... as Hendo will.

I'm not going to fight this one. Not my style. But, I'll take a very simple position - a keeper who let a shot in that he thought was going wide in a World Cup SF & who let in two soft goals in another World Cup. Maybe, the definition of Great needs recalibrating. I get it - he's been "defined" as great. I'm happy to let others have the last word.

Incidentally, from my seat in the ground, surrounded by baying Romanian Ultras, I thought Henderson made a couple of saves "with his feet" when he might have got hands on. Did that come across on the Tele?

I did a bit of research for my Blog. It'd help me out if you could point me at a famous Yashin howler that you were thinking about
Should have dived for Beckenbauer's winner in the 1966 World Cup semi. He thought the shot was going wide. From his reaction he seemed disappointed at how he mis-judged the shot. Saw footage of him playing in the 1958 World Cup. Kept diving at players feet and getting injured

Should have dived for Beckenbauer's winner in the 1966 World Cup semi. He thought the shot was going wide. From his reaction he seemed disappointed at how he mis-judged the shot. Saw footage of him playing in the 1958 World Cup. Kept diving at players feet and getting injured
I don't suppose you ever got the chance to see him in the flesh did you mate? It was just a bit before my time. Although obvs I remember his performance in 1966 off the tele

I can't recall the superb Mel Rees making a mistake, in the games he played for us.

How I wish he could have been around to play and make mistakes.

So sad

I sometimes wish I had kept "better records". I was once convinced I'd seen Pele, Maradona & Messi in the flesh. But, on countback I couldn't find Messi.
I have seen Pele and Messi in the flesh! Pele was rubbish (at S6 in February 1972). Messi scored at Man City in Nov 2016 but was goal hanging for the most of the game and walked a lot.

I can't recall the superb Mel Rees making a mistake, in the games he played for us.

How I wish he could have been around to play and make mistakes.

So sad
Maybe wrong but think he made one or two in the defeat to Leeds which handed them the title.
He was nobbled by them dirties
, bravely carried on despite the pain

Wasn’t he injured by one of our own defenders rather than any Leeds player? Gayle or Beesley maybe? I immediately thought the Leeds game too for Rees. I know he had an injury, but as I recall he nearly had a howler in the game before the injury, and even then made some bad decisions with at least one of the goals.

This is what Henderson has said in a recent interview...

‘I think I am good enough and I would help the team (man utd) a lot, in a positive way. If not there I’m sure I could go back to Sheffield United, play a season and then I’ll prove to Manchester United what they are missing.’

I have 2 issues with this, which I understand will be unpopular...

1 - I don't agree he's good enough for man utd, I don't think he'll be good enough for us in the Premier League, I've seen him play every week for us and would class him an average Championship goalkeeper. He's weak on crossing and his kicking needs work, he loses concentration and seems to switch off in many games. He might have won the golden glove, and I'm not saying he's a bad goalkeeper, but our defence is the main reason he got that, most games he had nothing but routine saves to do. Next season will be different and will expose his weaknesses more often and I can see at least 3 goals being conceded most weeks with him as our number 1.

2 - He regards us as his safety net and he really shouldn't, many better goalkeepers would love to sign for us now. We're in a pretty powerful position here to recruit a very good goalkeeper who we can rely on as being our number 1 for several years. At the very least, this transfer window we should be looking to get a team together that would be very strong in the Championship should we be relegated...we should be buying a goalkeeper this transfer window, not loaning one that will ultimately, in my opinion, see us relegated.

This is what Henderson has said in a recent interview...

‘I think I am good enough and I would help the team (man utd) a lot, in a positive way. If not there I’m sure I could go back to Sheffield United, play a season and then I’ll prove to Manchester United what they are missing.’

I have 2 issues with this, which I understand will be unpopular...

1 - I don't agree he's good enough for man utd, I don't think he'll be good enough for us in the Premier League, I've seen him play every week for us and would class him an average Championship goalkeeper. He's weak on crossing and his kicking needs work, he loses concentration and seems to switch off in many games. He might have won the golden glove, and I'm not saying he's a bad goalkeeper, but our defence is the main reason he got that, most games he had nothing but routine saves to do. Next season will be different and will expose his weaknesses more often and I can see at least 3 goals being conceded most weeks with him as our number 1.

2 - He regards us as his safety net and he really shouldn't, many better goalkeepers would love to sign for us now. We're in a pretty powerful position here to recruit a very good goalkeeper who we can rely on as being our number 1 for several years. At the very least, this transfer window we should be looking to get a team together that would be very strong in the Championship should we be relegated...we should be buying a goalkeeper this transfer window, not loaning one that will ultimately, in my opinion, see us relegated.

Disagree massively. Don't know how you can watch him every week and say he's weak at anything to be honest. He's not as good at claiming crosses as Blackman, but Blackman is a lot taller.

If he's to make a mistake then it's more likely to be from a cross/corner but I wouldn't say it's a glaring weakness to be exploited by the opponent particularly, he claimed plenty of corners for us, far more than we conceded from I'd say.

His distribution is also very good, he has an assist remember, and he rarely kicks it out of play. Good with his feet, comfortable in possession when we play out from the back.

I agree somewhat with the second point, but only out of pride, he shouldn't be quite so blasé about coming back to United, treat us with a bit more respect but that's with the huge caveat that media interviews are edited to within an inch of their lives and meaning can be lost in print.

If we get relegated next season I think it'll be because we didn't take our chances at the other end, I think our defensive unit will be a strong point, similar to how Cardiff took a good defence from the Championship and were decent at the back against the majority of teams.

Incidentally, from my seat in the ground, surrounded by baying Romanian Ultras, I thought Henderson made a couple of saves "with his feet" when he might have got hands on. Did that come across on the Tele?
From my seat against France he went walkabout with the ball near the edge of his area and nearly lost it (as he did a few times last season playing for the Blades)

Appologies for the double post.

According to press reports, DH is currently on £25k a week and wants £75k a week for his contract renewal. He has 12 months left, with Man Utd having an option of a further 12 month extension.

I appreciate it’s paper talk, but this might be proving slightly problematic and causing the delay.

A tripling of his wages is obviously a fairly big jump. If we met 50% of his wage last season and it fell within our budget, will 50% of the new figure fall within our capabilities next season? Or would Man Utd be happy for us to pay a lower percentage and see him being played regularly in the Prem as being payment in kind? 🤔

I’m not sure whether he has a new agent or whether he has moved up the roster of his current agent, but in the last month he’s getting a lot more press exposure/colum inches and if we did have him next season, is something I’d like him winding back on.

Appologies for the double post.

According to press reports, DH is currently on £25k a week and wants £75k a week for his contract renewal. He has 12 months left, with Man Utd having an option of a further 12 month extension.

I appreciate it’s paper talk, but this might be proving slightly problematic and causing the delay.

A tripling of his wages is obviously a fairly big jump. If we met 50% of his wage last season and it fell within our budget, will 50% of the new figure fall within our capabilities next season? Or would Man Utd be happy for us to pay a lower percentage and see him being played regularly in the Prem as being payment in kind? 🤔

I’m not sure whether he has a new agent or whether he has moved up the roster of his current agent, but in the last month he’s getting a lot more press exposure/colum inches and if we did have him next season, is something I’d like him winding back on.

Pulling numbers out my arse alert for the following but humour me.

£12.5k for us in the Championship, where our best paid permanent players are probably on about £15k-£18k maybe (probably Norwood and/ or Bill with all his well earned bonuses) and everyone else is on about £10k Vs £37k in the Premier League were our current players will be on about £15-25k with the lifts in their contracts Wilder mentioned, is probably doable for us having stepped up a level, can't see that being an issue.

The problem would be if Man U turn round and say "hang about, you've got £100m+ coming in this season, you pay his bloody wages". If they want 75%/80% of his wage and a loan fee, maybe there'll be issues.

We should be looking at other keepers anyway, just makes sense. I'd like us to sign someone with more experience than Simon Moore as a backup/cup/Man U games keeper too.

I agree with the press, would be good if after this failure with the U21s he just gets his head down again.

Back
Top Bottom