Hecky is so shit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was generally apprehensive when he got the job and I still think he should be giving Jebbison a go instead of McBurnie (still think there's a footballer in there but lacking confidence) my weeds supporting mate says that mostly they liked hecky and wish he had been given more time there

Couldn't be arsed starting a new thread so I'm going to stick this here:

Lots of interesting stuff in there, but a couple of things jump out at me:

* Our performances under Slav were better than the results indicated.

* The biggest improvement since Hecky came in and went to three at the back has been our defending--no surprises there. But that improvement has come without any real cost in terms of attacking output. In fact, it looks like we're getting the ball into the opposition third more quickly and are shooting more from inside the box more and shooting more accurately.

By the way, whoever runs this Twitter account does a really good job. Always lots of interesting content.

I would say the getting the ball inside the opposition third more quickly is down to playing more Hoof ball.
Something that I now fear is permanently imbedded in Uniteds DNA.

Unless I am missing something, that is exactly the case with Hourihane and Norwood on Saturday and exactly the case with Sharp tonight.

You are speculating that they were not fully recovered. Has anyone said that?

The real key here is starting your best side. That is 2 games in a row we have not done that. We did not win either game. There may be some correlation there.
Billy Sharp is the only real goalscorer at our club. Fact.

Yes I have and we definitely play more hoof than under Slav, and if you can't see that then I take it you don't watch us.
We definitely get the ball forward quicker than under SJ but it's not right to call it hoof ball.

Playing a ball over the top of a defence into the run of an attacker isn't hoof. We're not lumping it into an empty part of the pitch and running after it. Nor are we sending hopeful stuff up to a big man heading it down either. Both of those might be called hoof ball.

A lot of the negativity around long vertical passing comes from when "direct" started being used as an underhand way of calling someone hoofers. And now the line is so blurred everything that's not on the grass is called hoof ball.

No I think we should be playing like Swansea did today Fizz the ball across the back four and if we get it the opposition final third work it back to the half way line When our keeper has it play it short inviting the press playing risky balls until you give the ball away Clearly Hecky hasn’t a clue

Yes I have and we definitely play more hoof than under Slav, and if you can't see that then I take it you don't watch us.
I’m there at every home match. I can only suggest that if you think you have been watching us play hoofball you either don’t understand what hoofball is or you don’t actually understand what you are watching.

For the avoidance of doubt, we don’t play hoofball.

I
No I think we should be playing like Swansea did today Fizz the ball across the back four and if we get it the opposition final third work it back to the half way line When our keeper has it play it short inviting the press playing risky balls until you give the ball away Clearly Hecky hasn’t a clue
I can't help but think about the 0-0 draw with Swansea at their gaff, when fuck all happened for the entire game and both teams just pissflapped about spreading passes across the lines and not trying to break forward.

Swansea were still doing that today, in exactly the same way.

Advance, retreat, fanny about, repeat.

The only difference between today and the reverse fixture?

We actually play football now.

Fuck Slav, Viva la Hecky

I’m there at every home match. I can only suggest that if you think you have been watching us play hoofball you either don’t understand what hoofball is or you don’t actually understand what you are watching.

For the avoidance of doubt, we don’t play hoofball.

I totally understand what I am watching thank you.
You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, mine being we play more hoof ball than we did under Slav.

You are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, mine being we play more hoof ball than we did under Slav.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, it's just that no one else seems to agree with you.

You must be right though, and everyone else is wrong.

For what it's worth, I can't recall Utd playing long, high aimless balls straight down the pitch into the opposition's third for the big striker to head down/in since Hecky took charge. Whatever this style of football is called, we don't play it.

My understanding of hoofball is to ‘hit and hope’ it’s a percentage game and it works under the premise that your target men will win the ball more often than not.
Playing a ball directed specifically to a runner down the middle or to the wings is not hoofball it’s football, it’s what most premiership sides do in every game it’s what United do under Hecky and it’s a breath of fresh air compared to the very predictable tippy tappy overplaying we’ve been guilty of with previous managers.
It plays to Billy’s and MGW‘s strengths playing of the shoulder and it’s paying dividends.Look at the results for justification.

My understanding of hoofball is to ‘hit and hope’ it’s a percentage game and it works under the premise that your target men will win the ball more often than not.
Playing a ball directed specifically to a runner down the middle or to the wings is not hoofball it’s football, it’s what most premiership sides do in every game it’s what United do under Hecky and it’s a breath of fresh air compared to the very predictable tippy tappy overplaying we’ve been guilty of with previous managers.
It plays to Billy’s and MGW‘s strengths playing of the shoulder and it’s paying dividends.Look at the results for justification.

I understood it as the same way too. Was definitely played under Warnock with Andy Gray and Steve Kabba/ later Neil Shipperley and Danny Webber. But under Hecky the passes are to either to man in the feet sense or to an area of space.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion but in this case your opinion is wrong.

Can you answer a question for me? Do Liverpool play hoofball?

We definitely get the ball forward quicker than under SJ but it's not right to call it hoof ball.

Playing a ball over the top of a defence into the run of an attacker isn't hoof. We're not lumping it into an empty part of the pitch and running after it. Nor are we sending hopeful stuff up to a big man heading it down either. Both of those might be called hoof ball.

A lot of the negativity around long vertical passing comes from when "direct" started being used as an underhand way of calling someone hoofers. And now the line is so blurred everything that's not on the grass is called hoof ball.

Hoof ball is probably the wrong word to be honest, maybe i should have said we go long more than we did under Slav.

In your opinion i am wrong which means naff all to me.
No they don't.

So next time Liverpool play watch how often Van Dike gets the ball and sprays it long to either Robertson or TAA.

Going long is completely different to Hoofball. Ismael played hoofball at Barnsley and West Brom. We play far from it.

This isn’t even close to being hoofball. We play direct, but it’s a passing based direct football. And we change it up pretty much every game anyway, Hecky is looking much more tactically astute than I had imagined.

To my uneducated football brain hoofball was Simon Tracey’s boot to Brian Diane’s head?

And it worked. And I loved it.

We were aiming long kicks from the keeper to (occasionally) land on McBurnie’s head earlier in the season but not now.

Clean-sheet-Wes goes long when he’s under pressure. Egan and Norwood are the players who do long passes from the back. They don’t hoof.

Definitely more direct than we were under Slav. That's not long ball either but it's fairly evident we are playing quicker and into the forwards much earlier.

I would say the getting the ball inside the opposition third more quickly is down to playing more Hoof ball.
Something that I now fear is permanently imbedded in Uniteds DNA.
I disagree. There is a proper mix of long balls down the wings and patient build ups from the back.
Much harder to play against than just one or the other ( see Swansea yesterday).

Be honest. There's not one fukin blade who'd have wanted Hecky to take over after Slav. Where we are, and the way we're playing is nothing short of a mini- miracle of Wilderesque proportions.

Back
Top Bottom