Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

• Good Idea

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 797 90.7%

• Total voters

Wilder has been shown up to be exactly what he is a bang average manager. We were just the right club at the right time for him. Heckingbottom isn’t without his faults at all and some off his team selections and subs leave a lot to be desired but overall he’s a better man manager (no question) better communicator and the players definitely like him more. He’s a better fit for our football club at this time no question. As other people have mentioned these whispers have been going on for a while and I know that the Prince and Wilder have met several times in the last few months which I think is a bit suspicious. I’ve got a bad feeling about this whole thing and if it happens it will be a massive mistake.

"Bang average" is an incredibly harsh assessment overall. CW had been successful at every club before us too, ridiculously so actually.

His fall from grace was as dramatic as anything I have seen though, and he has indeed been bang average since.

We'll never know all the details, but his judgement seemed to be slipping badly before Covid hit, and then once lockdown started and our form deteriorated, he ran out of ideas and dare I say it, interest.

Hecky has worked miracles with what he’s had to contend with first to get us up last season & second an almost comical pre season with the all late shenanigans around players leaving .
Anyone thinking that bringing Wilder back will be a re-run of season we 9th is in cuckoo land ⚔️

He hasn’t worked miracles has he

Hecky took over a very good championship squad and did what was expected playing poor football

He got a team who should have been promoted , promoted

He doesn’t deserve to be sacked , but I can see an argument to say he isn’t good enough at this level

"Bang average" is an incredibly harsh assessment overall. CW had been successful at every club before us too, ridiculously so actually.

His fall from grace was as dramatic as anything I have seen though, and he has indeed been bang average since.

We'll never know all the details, but his judgement seemed to be slipping badly before Covid hit, and then once lockdown started and our form deteriorated, he ran out of ideas and dare I say it, interest.

Wilders fall from grace started with Covid / JOC’s retirement / a poor summer transfer window

He then lost his head and wanted to leave

Anyone who says wilder is a bang average manager and that hecky is a better one are so short sided and deluded if is untrue

Both good/great SUFC managers but wilders is miles better than hecky it’s not even worth an argument IMO

Wilders fall from grace started with Covid / JOC’s retirement / a poor summer transfer window

He then lost his head and wanted to leave

Anyone who says wilder is a bang average manager and that hecky is a better one are so short sided and deluded if is untrue

Both good/great SUFC managers but wilders is miles better than hecky it’s not even worth an argument IMO
Got to put this bufoon on ignore

The rumour only comes from what the prince said in the interview on YouTube with Sheffield united way

I don’t think there’s any way we would sack hecky right now

But if it got to 7/8/9 games without a win I can see the prince making a change he got rid of Slav when there was no call for him to be sacked

If we got to 8/9 games without a win I reckon hecky will go and wilder and knill will be Back

The rumour only comes from what the prince said in the interview on YouTube with Sheffield united way

I don’t think there’s any way we would sack hecky right now

But if it got to 7/8/9 games without a win I can see the prince making a change he got rid of Slav when there was no call for him to be sacked

If we got to 8/9 games without a win I reckon hecky will go and wilder and knill will be Back

Slav was fucking hopeless. Hecky and McCall and Lester are doing ok. Just need to stop giving points away. Its not blankety frigging blank.

Hecky has a 5 year contract and the club stated publicly that he'd not be judged on results coz we are a financially poor club that needs to stay in business by developing players for a profit.
It would not only be the height of disloyalty for the Prince to sack him but also costly and serve no purpose when there's no money for a new manager to spend.

Managers of the calibre and suitability of Wilder and Heckingbottom are very hard to find. Sheffield United have proved that many times over the years. Losing one was reckless, losing two would be sheer madness.

Not ******* leaving, etc.
you know what this story feels like its was written out of stereotype. no facts, just a newly promoted side 1 pt from 5 games. he must be under pressure. a person who clearly never watched us last season or this season. & mustve been living on mars to not understand alot of troubles weve had. doesnt know any of variables

if fans arent chanting for there removal. you have no story

In the 5 games so far, prior to kicking a ball we needed to be on a very minimum of 4 points imo, 5 would have been respectable, 6 or more great. If we hadn’t fell asleep in the 87th minute for 3/5 games we’d of picked up that amount which shows we aren’t that far away. I do think we will compete in most games relatively ok this season but fall short in a lot of them as concentration levels don’t seem to be very good unfortunately.

Our next 5 games are Newcastle home, West Ham away, Fulham away, Man U home & Arsenal away. We would do well to come out with more than 1 point out of them. The one after that is Wolves at home which is a 6 pointer before we travel to Brighton who seem to not slowing down before the last international break at this side of the year.

It wouldn’t be surprise me if Hecky is handed his P45 by mid November in all honesty & I wouldn’t agree with it because I expected us to struggle big time this season like we did in 2020/21.

There are absolutely no circumstances in which Hecky shouldn't be here next season.

If we are uncompetitive this season, it's because the owner cannot afford to back his manager, because the owner cannot afford to fund a competitive squad. That's it.

What's more, Hecky, Jack and Stuart McCall would build you a respectable, competitive side for the championship, they've more than proven their ability to do that. No other management team would have the instant backing of the fan base. We're in good hands.

I read to didn’t like playing Youngsters and stopped reading. Look at Davie Brooks as example one. All of the youngsters that are good were signed under Wilder era.
Wilder sent Brooks to Coventry so to speak and to this day Brooks doesn’t know why as Wilder refused to even speak to him.
He’s a man-child and bringing him back would be the biggest mistake our owner could make.

Hecky has:

Transparency, decency, calmness, togetherness, and man management but the absolute bucketful. We are very lucky to have him.

Hecky doesn't have:

Squad depth, finances or a clean bill of squad health behind him. All out of his control.
For the first time in some time it actually feels like we have some long term planning.

We've already Arblaster, Boyes and possibly Neal to come in and supplement the midfield and defence for next season.

It's not an unreasonable bet that one of Osula, Jebbison, Traore or even Oné could come good and be a force for good next season if we did go down.

Hecky moves on and you'll struggle to get someone in who has the same commitment to player development and long term planning and given he's generally spent a lot of time in the local area, who would seem to be happy tl remain long term.

Unless financial circumstances change and the dial moves towards and chequebook recruitment policy, I simply don't see a need for change.

Some fans get itchy feet but 5 games in and it's enough to still not have dropped into the bottom three. We appear to be showing progress and could now do with some results. Hopefully this weekend can be one. Newcastle have a midweek game while we can rest up. Perhaps this is what we need to work in our favour?

Either way, the fan base, even if we go down, all seem behind Hecky and as long as he doesn't have a Clough brainfart or a Wilder meltdown, I don't see that changing.

For the first time in some time it actually feels like we have some long term planning.

We've already Arblaster, Boyes and possibly Neal to come in and supplement the midfield and defence for next season.

It's not an unreasonable bet that one of Osula, Jebbison, Traore or even Oné could come good and be a force for good next season if we did go down.

Hecky moves on and you'll struggle to get someone in who has the same commitment to player development and long term planning and given he's generally spent a lot of time in the local area, who would seem to be happy tl remain long term.

Unless financial circumstances change and the dial moves towards and chequebook recruitment policy, I simply don't see a need for change.

Some fans get itchy feet but 5 games in and it's enough to still not have dropped into the bottom three. We appear to be showing progress and could now do with some results. Hopefully this weekend can be one. Newcastle have a midweek game while we can rest up. Perhaps this is what we need to work in our favour?

Either way, the fan base, even if we go down, all seem behind Hecky and as long as he doesn't have a Clough brainfart or a Wilder meltdown, I don't see that changing.
I would add that Hecky understands what the majority of fans want from the team. He looks for the right character and commitment from the players. That is why his marquee signing this window, Gus Hamer, will always be a better fit than Sander Berge was.

Horses for courses. CW was brilliant in L1 finally getting us promoted back to Chamionship then taking us into PL. He was unlucky with Covid and more importantly losing JOC who was an essential part of our defence and also our attack as an overlapping CH. But CW s recruitment once we got to PL was dreadful and he failed to build a structure and team that could stay in the PL and when things turned against him he couldn’t handle it. Frankly made a fool of himself.

Hecky is different operator altogether. Yes he inherited a decent squad with parachute payments but that doesn’t mean promotion is guaranteed. Llook at the other teams with expensive squads, big wage bills and parachute payments like Norwich, Watford, WBA and others Who didn’t get promoted and look at the mess he inherited from Slav. He got us promoted With horrendous injury problems and behind the scene financial problems. Then we get to PL and hE has to effectively rebuild the team after losing probably our 4 best players With a net budget of peanuts by PL standards. His recruitment has made us overall much stronger (in my opinion). In addition he has reduced the age of the squad substantially and bought young players who will hopefully improve. He has certainly not overpaid (unlike CW) and has built a squad that probably stands a good chance of getting promoted back if we get relegated this season. In addition he has shown he can coach, improve and bring through young players from the academy (which CW never did apart from Brooks).

Yes we have lost 4 out of 5 matches but only by a single goal in each and we have scored 4 goals. Arguably we could with a bit of luck have taken a point against Forest and ran City and Spurs close. The team is still gelling and a number of the squad are not yet up to match fitness. I am confident we will get better (we have done each game I think). The club still has a good vibe and I do think we have a decent chance of staying up. To get CW back would be to change everything Hecky has built and is building. CW has never shown he can build something that will last.

I think the players and vast majority of the fans want to keep Hecky, even if we do get relegated. Since he left us CW has had a number of Managerial jobs and has achieved nothing. I don’t believe as things are he has anything to bring/offer and to change what we have would be a disaster. Having CW back is a definite NO.

Horses for courses. CW was brilliant in L1 finally getting us promoted back to Chamionship then taking us into PL. He was unlucky with Covid and more importantly losing JOC who was an essential part of our defence and also our attack as an overlapping CH. But CW s recruitment once we got to PL was dreadful and he failed to build a structure and team that could stay in the PL and when things turned against him he couldn’t handle it. Frankly made a fool of himself.

Hecky is different operator altogether. Yes he inherited a decent squad with parachute payments but that doesn’t mean promotion is guaranteed. Llook at the other teams with expensive squads, big wage bills and parachute payments like Norwich, Watford, WBA and others Who didn’t get promoted and look at the mess he inherited from Slav. He got us promoted With horrendous injury problems and behind the scene financial problems. Then we get to PL and hE has to effectively rebuild the team after losing probably our 4 best players With a net budget of peanuts by PL standards. His recruitment has made us overall much stronger (in my opinion). In addition he has reduced the age of the squad substantially and bought young players who will hopefully improve. He has certainly not overpaid (unlike CW) and has built a squad that probably stands a good chance of getting promoted back if we get relegated this season. In addition he has shown he can coach, improve and bring through young players from the academy (which CW never did apart from Brooks).

Yes we have lost 4 out of 5 matches but only by a single goal in each and we have scored 4 goals. Arguably we could with a bit of luck have taken a point against Forest and ran City and Spurs close. The team is still gelling and a number of the squad are not yet up to match fitness. I am confident we will get better (we have done each game I think). The club still has a good vibe and I do think we have a decent chance of staying up. To get CW back would be to change everything Hecky has built and is building. CW has never shown he can build something that will last.

I think the players and vast majority of the fans want to keep Hecky, even if we do get relegated. Since he left us CW has had a number of Managerial jobs and has achieved nothing. I don’t believe as things are he has anything to bring/offer and to change what we have would be a disaster. Having CW back is a definite NO.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Well said 👍

Wilder sent Brooks to Coventry so to speak and to this day Brooks doesn’t know why as Wilder refused to even speak to him.
He’s a man-child and bringing him back would be the biggest mistake our owner could make.
It was because Brooksy was seeing his daughter….

has everyone forgotten that strange post match interview where he seemed to be describing an argument with a fictional companion in the pub about Jamie Vardy and what he has achieved compared to what the imaginary drinker has achieved. It was a full on, underpants-on-head, pencils-up-nose wibble moment.
yes and lets not forget the press conference where he had his Radio Sheffield pal ask a question about his contract talks when rock bottom of the prem oh and the talk about psychology/lefties statement

Back
Top Bottom