Heartbroken/pissed off we sold them X1

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kilgallon hardly a legend but again hard to find a Center back to put in this, was still rubbish to lose another really good player based on losing yer another play off final
I'd take him out and switch it to 3 at the back so we could chuck James Beattie into a front 3. Another generational season-wrecker of a sale, that one.

Ramsdale?

Are you having a laff? After the hopeless flapping with his eyes shut from the first half of the second premier league season, you couldn't have shipped him out quick enough for me. Bottle merchant.
Based on players we've sold and what they have gone on to achieve, he's the most successful goalie I can think of. Already has twice as many PL appearances as Kenny - the original suggestion aged 25 and number one at a Champions League side.

His poor start for us, that lasted around 14/15 games, shouldn't mask the fact that he's probably the best goalie we've sold in my time watching the blades

When I was a lad we had a winger called Colin Granger, he played for England. I was despondent when we sold him to Sunderland. I didn’t realise then that it was the SU way. Nothing changes but all these years later I am still a Blade and always will be, even though I am ancient.

Kenny

Walker. Jagielka. Kilgallon. Naughton.

Brown. McDonald. S.Quinn

N’Diaye

Deane Fjortoft

Brown we knew was coming but still sucked, to lose Squinny for a pittance like that was unforgivable. McDonald one of my favourite ever midfielders for us.

Naughton again we knew was coming but hard to think of anyone to stick at left back. Selling walked was downright infuriating.

The timing of the N’Diaye sale is utterly rancid, outside of Buendia I’ve hardly heard of any teams ever selling their star player upon promotion.
Only SUFC departure I can liken to this is Howard Kendall in the Judas stakes.

Kevin McDonald was similar in letting his contract run down but at least didn’t lead everybody on that he was going to sign a new one.

Watched Saints v PNE last night, another of our old flames David Brooks playing for Saints.
Really was gutted when he was sold but I guess we used the money well as we were promoted that season.

Thought he was fine, but the second half of the season with his illness derailed him. Id have rather have kept him, but thought it was good business at the time.

If he had a season like Iliman, then i’d have been fuming.

Kenny

Walker. Jagielka. Kilgallon. Naughton.

Brown. McDonald. S.Quinn

N’Diaye

Deane Fjortoft

Brown we knew was coming but still sucked, to lose Squinny for a pittance like that was unforgivable. McDonald one of my favourite ever midfielders for us.

Naughton again we knew was coming but hard to think of anyone to stick at left back. Selling walked was downright infuriating.

The timing of the N’Diaye sale is utterly rancid, outside of Buendia I’ve hardly heard of any teams ever selling their star player upon promotion.

These kind of posts are unfair because it’s fantasy like someone playing football manager.

It doesn’t take into account contracts, personal issues and finances, which is “the real world”.

If our fans were running we’d have gone bust years ago. Running a business properly means making difficult decisions, it’s not a game.

Wonder what happened to our fans who said “Brewster will be partnering Harry Kane up front for England, so stop being tight United and pay him whatever he wants”.

I remember crying when we sold Cockerill (I was about seven) and refused to go to the next home game.

Jamie Murphy was the last time that I was gutted about us selling a player.

We all knew pretty quickly that Cockerill was destined for the top flight. He was too good for us and it was all about getting the best price.

Tom Mcallister - one of my favourite Blades goalkeepers. He had injury problems due to that two hat Marsh but he went onto play for Rotherham 160 times and a further 85 for West Ham.

Kyle Walker - what can you say part of Kevs give away for peanuts policy. He'd only played a few games for us but his raw pace was there for all to see.

Kyle Naughton - the better of the two at the time but again grossly undervalued. We even failed to get a sell on for him due to his value dropping over time.

Paul Mcgrath - Not one sold but I was gutted when he had to retire due to dodgy knees. Probably the best centre back to grace the SUFC shirt in my time even it was a limited 6 months master class.

Phil Jageilka - firmed up my dislike of Everton FC following Segers gate. It was reported Liverpool were willing to pay around £9 million for PJ prior to him signing a contract extension. What we didn't know was a release clause of £4 million was inserted enabling Everton to take full advantage on our relegation. Another in a long line of bargain basement buys.

Willie Carlin - a continuation of Dick Wraggs Board of shame. 1968 season we were on the fringes of the promotion race when out of the blue Willie was sold to Derby for £60k mid season. Canny Clough was impressed with the performance of the 5 foot 4 pocket battleship. He went on to become their player of the season as Derby went up as champions and we finished 9th.

Geoff Salmons - the great betrayal part 2 by Wragg and Co. After promising TC that Salmons wouldn't be sold TC turned down the opportunity to go to Man United. Salmons was then promptly sold to Stoke whose star briefly rose as ours plummeted towards division 2.

TC - A disheartened and disillusioned TC was sold to Weeds following relegation. The great betrayal part 3 to a club at the time we loathed. Cue future sales of Hamson, Edwards, Sabella etc as for a time we became Weed scum's feeder club. Finally reversed when Warnock went and took Kilgallon and Hulse off them in 2006 on our belated return to the top tier.

Mick Jones - the great betrayal part 1. Revie came along with his brown paper bag paid Jones double his wages but couldn't bribe the board to take a bung to throw the match on Jones return. A practice Revie was accused of doing a number of times in later years by his own goalkeeper Gary Sprake. We won Jones first game back 1-0 with Woody in the net and another Mick called Hill scoring the winner.

Alan Birchenall - as per Jones we were told after Jones no one else would be sold. Birchenall went to Chelsea a few months later and we were relegated at the end of the season.

Brian Deane - we had a clown running the Club called McDonald and his sidekick Green who even wanted to score against us to stop us going up. The day we sold Deane and Fjortoft with rumours around that they were even trying to flog off Gareth Taylor as well is etched in Blades fans memories.

Special mention for DCL - A paltry £1.5 million sale had Everton telling stories for years about how they ripped off SUFC. It still gives the current owner stomach ache when he thinks about it.

Is there any wonder there is a lack of trust with SUFC boards amongst the supporters of the club when these sorry tales are recounted.

Last edited:
We all knew pretty quickly that Cockerill was destined for the top flight. He was too good for us and it was all about getting the best price.

But when I was seven, I had been led to believe that we were the best team in the world! :(

Kenny

Borbokis, Tebilly, Jags, Quinn

McDonald, Woodhouse, Britton

Bent, Deane, Fjortoft

Alan Kelly (one of my favourite players ever)

Vass Holdsworth Dellas (you could always see how talented he was) Walker (Could not think of a left back I was that disappointed to see leave)

Brooks Brown Murphy

Deane Fjortoft Ndiaye

Subs
Tuttle (just liked him)
McDonald
Jags
Tracey
Blake

Tony Agana,
Remember going into the Dolphin pub in Derby on the morning of the transfer with my paper, turning to the back page of the Daily Mail, to see to utter shock we had sold him to Notts County for £750,000. Notts bloody County !! (when Warnock was their manager)
Could not believe it then, still can't !.
Sadly for him, he never again was the same player he was at United.

Peter beagrie to Stoke.
He was most skillfull winger I've ever seen and made every game enjoyable . The game v Hull boxing day we won 4-2 I think it was 1986 never seen such a complete performance.
Before that Colin Morris the best winger at the time and Edwards owed half his goals to morris ability .

Tony Agana,
Remember going into the Dolphin pub in Derby on the morning of the transfer with my paper, turning to the back page of the Daily Mail, to see to utter shock we had sold him to Notts County for £750,000. Notts bloody County !! (when Warnock was their manager)
Could not believe it then, still can't !.
Sadly for him, he never again was the same player he was at United.
Dolphin pub ewww I live here , it's a shithole pal .

One that is always the first thought in my head with this topic is Mick Jones, gutted, he could have gone down as one of our all time greats in our history if he had stayed imo.

Loads more but too many to mention and a lot have been mentioned on this thread already.

Tom Mcallister - one of my favourite Blades goalkeepers. He had injury problems due to that two hat Marsh but he went onto play for Rotherham 160 times and a further 85 for West Ham.

Kyle Walker - what can you say part of Kevs give away for peanuts policy. He'd only played a few games for us but his raw pace was there for all to see.

Kyle Naughton - the better of the two at the time but again grossly undervalued. We even failed to get a sell on for him due to his value dropping over time.

Paul Mcgrath - Not one sold but I was gutted when he had to retire due to dodgy knees. Probably the best centre back to grace the SUFC shirt in my time even it was a limited 6 months master class.

Phil Jageilka - firmed up my dislike of Everton FC following Segers gate. It was reported Liverpool were willing to pay around £9 million for PJ prior to him signing a contract extension. What we didn't know was a release clause of £4 million was inserted enabling Everton to take full advantage on our relegation. Another in a long line of bargain basement buys.

Willie Carlin - a continuation of Dick Wraggs Board of shame. 1968 season we were on the fringes of the promotion race when out of the blue Willie was sold to Derby for £60k mid season. Canny Clough was impressed with the performance of the 5 foot 4 pocket battleship. He went on to become their player of the season as Derby went up as champions and we finished 9th.

Geoff Salmons - the great betrayal part 2 by Wragg and Co. After promising TC that Salmons wouldn't be sold TC turned down the opportunity to go to Man United. Salmons was then promptly sold to Stoke whose star briefly rose as ours plummeted towards division 2.

TC - A disheartened and disillusioned TC was sold to Weeds following relegation. The great betrayal part 3 to a club at the time we loathed. Cue future sales of Hamson, Edwards, Sabella etc as for a time we became Weed scum's feeder club. Finally reversed when Warnock went and took Kilgallon and Hulse off them in 2006 on our belated return to the top tier.

Mick Jones - the great betrayal part 1. Revie came along with his brown paper bag paid Jones double his wages but couldn't bribe the board to take a bung to throw the match on Jones return. A practice Revie was accused of doing a number of times in later years by his own goalkeeper Gary Sprake. We won Jones first game back 1-0 with Woody in the net and another Mick called Hill scoring the winner.

Alan Birchenall - as per Jones we were told after Jones no one else would be sold. Birchenall went to Chelsea a few months later and we were relegated at the end of the season.

Brian Deane - we had a clown running the Club called McDonald and his sidekick Green who even wanted to score against us to stop us going up. The day we sold Deane and Fjortoft with rumours around that they were even trying to flog off Gareth Taylor as well is etched in Blades fans memories.

Special mention for DCL - A paltry £1.5 million sale had Everton telling stories for years about how they ripped off SUFC. It still gives the current owner stomach ache when he thinks about it.

Is there any wonder there is a lack of trust with SUFC boards amongst the supporters of the club when these sorry tales are recounted.
Cue future sales of Hamson, Edwards, Sabella etc as for a time we became Weed scum's feeder club = Edwards + Stainrod swoped them for that crock Finniston - its the blades way

Henderson - not our player but was disappointed we didn't have have him another year

Walker - best league debut I have seen. Knew he was better than Naughton.

Maguire
Jagielka

Cockerill - best midfielder of the 1980s
Currie
Hamson
Salmons - we finished only 4 points behind champions Derby in 1974-75. Keeping Salmons would have got us the extra points we required
Ndiaye - don't know how long I will get used to the thought of him not playing for us anymore

Edwards - he was replaced by the injury hit Finnieston. Keith would have loved the service from Sabella.
Deane

Subs: Sabella, Brown, Beagrie
That’s fkin nailed it

Everyone forgets how much of a massive twat Kilgallon turned into once his head was turned, first by Burnley and then by Sunderland.

Went full Lundstram towards the end. I clearly remember him laughing and smirking at times whenever we conceded a goal in his last few matches.

I'm glad he subsequently achieved fuck all in his career after he left. Arrogant prick.
Agreed, pretty boy footballer with his white range rover. Nob from Leeds. He would have been nothing without Morgan next to him!

Michael Brown for me. To watch him bang in 22 goals from midfield in that famous season of 2002/03 then to watch him go to Spurs for a pittance the January after was a bitter, bitter pill to swallow.

Not quite at the same level as the others, but the Beattie & Blackman sales annoyed me a lot.

Felt like we were going quite well both seasons and they were our key players. Sold our promotion chances for peanuts.

Selling Kyle Walker for £2-3m when we didn't need to. Terrible business by McCabe.

The Ndiaye transfer was absolutely honking too. £12/14m ish. Fucking garbage. We let Marseille dictate everything.
Even worse when you consider what we did with the money (Trusty, Traore, Slimane...).

Back
Top Bottom