Memries of Ipswich

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Went to Portman Rd for the last match of the 98/99 season. We lost 4-1 but I recall George Donis playing well and thinking he’d be a decent player for the following season. However, Bruce left shortly afterwards and took him to Huddersfield with him (where Donis didn’t do very much admittedly).

Remember beating them 2-0 in our first home league game of the 1989/90 season. We'd just come up and had won 3-0 at WBA on opening day. Wednesday were bottom of division 1 and we were singing "There's only one team in Sheffield".

The highest aggregate score between the two teams came on Saturday 25th January, 2003 in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Bramall Lane and The Blades won 4-3 (after leading 2-0 at half time). Our goals were scored by Michael Brown (2), Jagielka and Peschisolido.
I think this deserves expanding a little. We’d just extended our lead to 3-0 and thought the game was won when the fight back started and Ipswich had the game level in five minutes with three quick-fire goals. Pesch then popped up with a very late winner, just like he had against Palace in the League Cup.

We were going in that record shop near the Pump Tavern

Violet Mays.

post-110-1173040480.jpg

I remember going to Ipswich in the 70's for a cup game after calling in some services plod was waiting for us and took the two coaches straight to the nick and locked us all up as the shelves had been stripped. Of course all the evidence had been eaten so I don't think anyone got charged but they kept us locked up right up to kick off. We lost 3-2 FA cup game, I can't remember the great John Harris team getting past the 3rd round we always seemed to lose in the cup in the 70's.

Ipswich memories for me are:

• Taricco is a bellend
  • Some Ipswich fan muppets smashing the seats behind me on the South Stand when they scored against us when I was a kid, away fans on the SS was quite common then
  • Am Ipswich nightclub that opened at 12 noon for Blades fans and stank from the night before still

Did we thump them 4-1 in one of the few highlights of the 87-88 relegation season?
Yes, Cadette scored twice for us. In the 2nd half Wally Downes was about to take a free kick from outside the box when the ref suddenly halted play to send Paul Williams off for an elbow on an Ipswich defender. When play re-started, Downes then scored direct from the free kick!

I remember going to Ipswich in the 70's for a cup game after calling in some services plod was waiting for us and took the two coaches straight to the nick and locked us all up as the shelves had been stripped. Of course all the evidence had been eaten so I don't think anyone got charged but they kept us locked up right up to kick off. We lost 3-2 FA cup game, I can't remember the great John Harris team getting past the 3rd round we always seemed to lose in the cup in the 70's.
Furphy's first FA Cup match as Blades manager

Violet Mays.

post-110-1173040480.jpg

That's it. I was badgering my mum to go in there and I was just going in that entrance when the bloke came out and announced the score to the woman behind the counter (which used to be on the right as you went in IIRC. Reason I didn't go is that my dad had an extended shift at the Public Works Department at Manor Lane. He also placated me beforehand by saying it would probably be a 0-0 draw. Cheers, dad.

pommpey

One of the most enjoyable matches I ever saw at The Lane. - we absolutely mullered 'em from start to finish.

As for the Badger goal, most people thought it was a deep cross which happened to finish up in the top corner - but I'm sure he'd tell you otherwise !

I think it was a shot TBH. Seemed to be on the telly. Laurie Sivell was so short he could only parry the ball into the roof of the net. I think he was about 5'8".

He went on to play the German goalie in Escape to Victory, so, um ... happy endings, eh?

pommpey

Last time I saw us play at Ipswich was that day in 2009 when we won 3-0 and Alan Lee sent the pigs down, a great day out I recall!

Remember beating them 2-0 in our first home league game of the 1989/90 season. We'd just come up and had won 3-0 at WBA on opening day. Wednesday were bottom of division 1 and we were singing "There's only one team in Sheffield".

Our first home league game that season was Brighton 5-4

I’m pretty sure Tarrico single-handedly connived to get Whitehouse sent off in one home game around the 96-98 period (1-3 home loss I think) and on separate occasions I think he may have been involved where other United players got reds. Possibly the Nick Henry one in the playoffs? Can’t remember. Anyway, he’s the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Ipswich.

Seem to recall Chris Short getting sent off for nailing the twat.

I have been to Portman Road twice and they have both been disastrous.

We lost 5 - 1 on a night game where Leigh Bromby got our goal. Wegot stuck in traffic and were late in and it is one of the handful of games I left early. The only consolation being by getting there late, going home early and 2 well timed pisses I missed 4 of Ipswich's goals - so it finished 1 all for me.

The worst was in the triple assault season - 2 nil up and on fire with Windass and Kabba ripping them to shreads. Then they had Pablo Counago sent off and that should have been it but it fired them up and inspired their fans and players. We just couldn't cope with Darren Bent and they beat us 3 - 2 - their fans mocking us by doing the tom hark celebration that we had done at 2 nil. They still do the tom hark goal music today.

Also remember another 2-2 on Sky under Spackman when Simon Tracey got knocked out and played the second half on another planet.

Couple of other notes from us v Ipswich. After we knocked them out in the play offs with 10 men their fans took on an irrational hatred of us as they had been on an unbelievable run and felt they would beat us easily - following that they called us 'Norwich of the North' - I am mates with an Ipswich fan and he confirms this bizarre irrational hatred of us continues with lots of them???

The other again stems from that play off match and Ipswich being sore losers. Their chairman David Sheepshanks was also chairman of the Football League and, because they lost on away goals he drove the change to scrap the away goal rule in play off matches. Something that I actually agree with but it was us v Ipswich which caused it.

Was that the one where we finished with Don Hutchison in goal? Kieran Dyer getting a last minute equaliser for them after George Donis had put us in front? Think it was last day of the season on sky.

Yes, Cadette scored twice for us. In the 2nd half Wally Downes was about to take a free kick from outside the box when the ref suddenly halted play to send Paul Williams off for an elbow on an Ipswich defender. When play re-started, Downes then scored direct from the free kick!

Cadette also won a 500 quid holiday voucher on the Blades Revival draw at half time, and missed a penalty in the second half when we were 4-1 up. Simon Webster scored our third, a header from a corner.

The game was sandwiched between 0-5 and 0-6 defeats away at Leeds and Boro.

Ipswich home highlights 1987-2004

1987 - Burridge saved a pen in a 0-0 draw.
1988 - the eventful game mentioned above
1990 - our first game at home in the league after promotion- won 2-0
1993 - Deano scores his second hattrick in a week in a 3-0 win
1994 - Flo gives us a lead but Whitton equalises at the death - we'd have stayed up otherwise
1996 - the2-2 draw when we were cruising until Taricco got Dane sent off
1997 - they won 3-1 in the league (Vonk sent off) and a late equaliser in the playoffs made them favourites to go through
1998 - lost in the league as Spackman quit: a first home defeat. Beat them 1-0 in the Cup after Hutchison scored a pen and David Johnson missed one
1999 - lost 2-1 just before Christmas
2000 - came back from 0-2 deficit to draw 2-2
2003 - a 0-0 bore draw in the league, the 7 goal thriller in the Cup
2004 - they hold us to a draw in the last home game and we miss the playoffs

The rivalry between the 2 clubs was a big deal between 1997 and 2004.

We didn't win down there between 1973 and 2010 and the games aren't worth remembering aside from the draw in the Cup in 1998 when Short flattened Taricco and the playoff semi in 1997, which remains one of the longest nights of my life.

RevolApr shut post: 1478789 said:
Cadette also won a 500 quid holiday voucher on the Blades Revival draw at half time, and missed a penalty in the second half when we were 4-1 up. Simon Webster scored our third, a header from a corner.

The game was sandwiched between 0-5 and 0-6 defeats away at Leeds and Boro.
Bassett went apeshit at Cadette taking the penalty rather than the nominated penalty taker and said he'd remember that if we went down on goal difference.

One of the most enjoyable matches I ever saw at The Lane. - we absolutely mullered 'em from start to finish.

As for the Badger goal, most people thought it was a deep cross which happened to finish up in the top corner - but I'm sure he'd tell you otherwise !
My memory of it is that we could have been 3 down before we scored

7-0 first time ever I'd been to a game on my own, weird hugging strangers.

Ipswich away, Andy Walker goal and tears.

Love playing Ipswich, got a lot of respect for them, Always thought they were our level and should be enjoyed to the utmost.

Can't remember the last time Ipswich had a bad season?

#27 GRUMPY BLADE, Jun 9, 2016

I'd always thought if we matched Ipswich we'd be doing OK.

#29 GRUMPY BLADE, Jun 9, 2016

Back
Top Bottom