Heartbroken/pissed off we sold them X1

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tom Mcallister - one of my favourite Blades goalkeepers. He had injury problems due to that two hat Marsh but he went onto play for Rotherham 160 times and a further 85 for West Ham.

Kyle Walker - what can you say part of Kevs give away for peanuts policy. He'd only played a few games for us but his raw pace was there for all to see.

Kyle Naughton - the better of the two at the time but again grossly undervalued. We even failed to get a sell on for him due to his value dropping over time.

Paul Mcgrath - Not one sold but I was gutted when he had to retire due to dodgy knees. Probably the best centre back to grace the SUFC shirt in my time even it was a limited 6 months master class.

Phil Jageilka - firmed up my dislike of Everton FC following Segers gate. It was reported Liverpool were willing to pay around £9 million for PJ prior to him signing a contract extension. What we didn't know was a release clause of £4 million was inserted enabling Everton to take full advantage on our relegation. Another in a long line of bargain basement buys.

Willie Carlin - a continuation of Dick Wraggs Board of shame. 1968 season we were on the fringes of the promotion race when out of the blue Willie was sold to Derby for £60k mid season. Canny Clough was impressed with the performance of the 5 foot 4 pocket battleship. He went on to become their player of the season as Derby went up as champions and we finished 9th.

Geoff Salmons - the great betrayal part 2 by Wragg and Co. After promising TC that Salmons wouldn't be sold TC turned down the opportunity to go to Man United. Salmons was then promptly sold to Stoke whose star briefly rose as ours plummeted towards division 2.

TC - A disheartened and disillusioned TC was sold to Weeds following relegation. The great betrayal part 3 to a club at the time we loathed. Cue future sales of Hamson, Edwards, Sabella etc as for a time we became Weed scum's feeder club. Finally reversed when Warnock went and took Kilgallon and Hulse off them in 2006 on our belated return to the top tier.

Mick Jones - the great betrayal part 1. Revie came along with his brown paper bag paid Jones double his wages but couldn't bribe the board to take a bung to throw the match on Jones return. A practice Revie was accused of doing a number of times in later years by his own goalkeeper Gary Sprake. We won Jones first game back 1-0 with Woody in the net and another Mick called Hill scoring the winner.

Alan Birchenall - as per Jones we were told after Jones no one else would be sold. Birchenall went to Chelsea a few months later and we were relegated at the end of the season.

Brian Deane - we had a clown running the Club called McDonald and his sidekick Green who even wanted to score against us to stop us going up. The day we sold Deane and Fjortoft with rumours around that they were even trying to flog off Gareth Taylor as well is etched in Blades fans memories.

Special mention for DCL - A paltry £1.5 million sale had Everton telling stories for years about how they ripped off SUFC. It still gives the current owner stomach ache when he thinks about it.

Is there any wonder there is a lack of trust with SUFC boards amongst the supporters of the club when these sorry tales are recounted.
That sums our club up. Spot bang on pal👏

1 Kenny 2 Chris Short 3 Tibbett that's a joke by the way worse player ever for UTD in my opinion 4 O'Connell 5 Holdsworth 6 Brown 7 Woodward 8 Brookes 9 Edwards 10 Deane 11 Nidiyee 12 Ffortoff slightly different as we lost a few to injuries

Blackman and Beattie were absolutely stupid and in both cases had absolutely zero reason to sell mid season, arguably, them two staying would ultimately have improved where we ended.

The season we sold Blackman we ended up losing to Yeovil in our most embarrassing play off venture where only about 14000 could be arsed.

The season we sold Beattie we ended up playing his useless namesake upfront at Wembley.

Kyle Walker we didn't have to sell at all as well, he didn't want to go and had only played a handful of games.

And then with Maguire chased Hull down the road for a few quid.

All Unforgivable acts by mcabe who for businessman had fuck all savvy.

Prior to that we had the disaster of mid season in 97 when for no reason what so ever decided to break a good team up.

Deane in 93 when Bassett told reg he'd cost us the drop.

Brown Edwards

Not necessarily a heartbroken XI but look at the players who've passed through (and are still playing at a high level) and look at the squad we could have built:

Henderson

Walker - Maguire - Anel - RND

Berge - Doyle - Hamer

Ndiaye - Calvert Lewin - MGW

And still have a bench including: Ramsdale, Brooks, McAtee, McBurnie, Lunny, Brereton-Diaz, Baldock

(Sure I'll have forgotten one or two as well)

I still remember the day we sold Brown to Tottenham.

I'd been out playing football in the street in the freezing cold all day and as soon as I came through the front door my Dad nonchalantly told me he'd gone and then walked off.

I just stood at the bottom of the stairs for ages staring at the wall, heartbroken.

Tom Mcallister - one of my favourite Blades goalkeepers. He had injury problems due to that two hat Marsh but he went onto play for Rotherham 160 times and a further 85 for West Ham.

Kyle Walker - what can you say part of Kevs give away for peanuts policy. He'd only played a few games for us but his raw pace was there for all to see.

Kyle Naughton - the better of the two at the time but again grossly undervalued. We even failed to get a sell on for him due to his value dropping over time.

Paul Mcgrath - Not one sold but I was gutted when he had to retire due to dodgy knees. Probably the best centre back to grace the SUFC shirt in my time even it was a limited 6 months master class.

Phil Jageilka - firmed up my dislike of Everton FC following Segers gate. It was reported Liverpool were willing to pay around £9 million for PJ prior to him signing a contract extension. What we didn't know was a release clause of £4 million was inserted enabling Everton to take full advantage on our relegation. Another in a long line of bargain basement buys.

Willie Carlin - a continuation of Dick Wraggs Board of shame. 1968 season we were on the fringes of the promotion race when out of the blue Willie was sold to Derby for £60k mid season. Canny Clough was impressed with the performance of the 5 foot 4 pocket battleship. He went on to become their player of the season as Derby went up as champions and we finished 9th.

Geoff Salmons - the great betrayal part 2 by Wragg and Co. After promising TC that Salmons wouldn't be sold TC turned down the opportunity to go to Man United. Salmons was then promptly sold to Stoke whose star briefly rose as ours plummeted towards division 2.

TC - A disheartened and disillusioned TC was sold to Weeds following relegation. The great betrayal part 3 to a club at the time we loathed. Cue future sales of Hamson, Edwards, Sabella etc as for a time we became Weed scum's feeder club. Finally reversed when Warnock went and took Kilgallon and Hulse off them in 2006 on our belated return to the top tier.

Mick Jones - the great betrayal part 1. Revie came along with his brown paper bag paid Jones double his wages but couldn't bribe the board to take a bung to throw the match on Jones return. A practice Revie was accused of doing a number of times in later years by his own goalkeeper Gary Sprake. We won Jones first game back 1-0 with Woody in the net and another Mick called Hill scoring the winner.

Alan Birchenall - as per Jones we were told after Jones no one else would be sold. Birchenall went to Chelsea a few months later and we were relegated at the end of the season.

Brian Deane - we had a clown running the Club called McDonald and his sidekick Green who even wanted to score against us to stop us going up. The day we sold Deane and Fjortoft with rumours around that they were even trying to flog off Gareth Taylor as well is etched in Blades fans memories.

Special mention for DCL - A paltry £1.5 million sale had Everton telling stories for years about how they ripped off SUFC. It still gives the current owner stomach ache when he thinks about it.

Is there any wonder there is a lack of trust with SUFC boards amongst the supporters of the club when these sorry tales are recounted.
This accurately captures the essence of our club across my 55 years of support - no wonder most Blades have a sceptical view of whether we could ever hold our own at the top table - just looking at our antics from 2020 is enough to make me sigh - such a golden chance thrown away by sheer incompetence starting with how the JoC injury was handled and its consequences unrecognised or just wrongly addressed.
After finishing 9th in the PL it's like we've been paying for mad decisions like Brewster ever since.
They say t's the hope that kills you.
In 19/20 , I really felt we were on the cusp of a proud run in the PL.
What followed has been sickeningly embarrassing , Lundstram , Mauriss , Dozy , transfer embargos , constantly unfit & injured players , mismanaged recruitment , mismanagement of the squad , the Wilder exit , the wrong replacement who was never backed , the owner & board removing themselves & abdicating responsibility at that bizarre press conference to appoint Hecky , a second crushing relegation .... Punch-drunk is an understatement.

Not necessarily a heartbroken XI but look at the players who've passed through (and are still playing at a high level) and look at the squad we could have built:

Henderson

Walker - Maguire - Anel - RND

Berge - Doyle - Hamer

Ndiaye - Calvert Lewin - MGW

And still have a bench including: Ramsdale, Brooks, McAtee, McBurnie, Lunny, Brereton-Diaz, Baldock

(Sure I'll have forgotten one or two as well)

How on earth does Norrington Davies get in there? Must be slim pickings at left back!

Vas Borbokis

Was my favorite player. I was really surprised that he did nothing at Derby--he looks class in the first division.

Selling pwtwr beagrie , broke my heart .
He was brilliant . Same deane.

Back
Top Bottom