Harry Boyes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's started 2 games and came on has sub in the 83rd minute in another one since the beginning of December, he was also subbed in the 68min of one of the two games he started.
If he is even remotely being considered for the 1st squad then we are in far bigger trouble than anyone could imagine.
I do wish we would stop with this obsession that virtually every one of our youngsters is good enough for the 1st team squad.
Very few of them will play above 1st Division level and we'll be lucky if even one goes on too play regularly at Premiership level.
There's nowt like filling our youngsters full of confidence is there.
Did you think the same thing about Harry Maguire, Kyle Walker, DCL, Naughton, Che Adam's, Ndiaye, Ramsdale.
In fact our recent track record of producing young players capable of playing at the highest level must be as good as any team outside of Manchester and Liverpool.

Did you think the same thing about Harry Maguire, Kyle Walker, DCL, Naughton, Che Adam's, Ndiaye, Ramsdale.
In fact our recent track record of producing young players capable of playing at the highest level must be as good as any team outside of Manchester and Liverpool.
Maguire was 13 years ago, Walker 16 years ago, Adams 10 years ago.
How many youngsters have passed through this club in that time ?
Like i said the percentage that make it is very low..

Maguire was 13 years ago, Walker 16 years ago, Adams 10 years ago.
How many youngsters have passed through this club in that time ?
Like i said the percentage that make it is very low..
The percentage that make it is very low across the whole country.
The top teams in the premiership, especially Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea put loads of players through their junior teams in the hope of finding a real gem.
As I said our track record of producing quality youngsters is better than most teams and our academy is recognised as being one of the best in the country.
Only time will tell with the likes of Osula, Brooks, Jebbison, etc, etc.
But you seem to want to write them all off before they have been given a chance to develop.
Filling developing lads full of confidence is half the battle, telling them they won't make beyond league 1 wont help.

The percentage that make it is very low across the whole country.
The top teams in the premiership, especially Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea put loads of players through their junior teams in the hope of finding a real gem.
As I said our track record of producing quality youngsters is better than most teams and our academy is recognised as being one of the best in the country.
Only time will tell with the likes of Osula, Brooks, Jebbison, etc, etc.
But you seem to want to write them all off before they have been given a chance to develop.
Filling developing lads full of confidence is half the battle, telling them they won't make beyond league 1 wont help.
No I don't want to write them all off at all.
It's the obsession that our fans seem to have that nearly every youngster should be in the first team squad even when they have hardly pulled any trees up at a club two divisions lower.
If you look through this thread you will find fans mentioning youngsters that should be involved with the first team when in reality we would be lucky if one ever makes.
I have no idea how we compare with other clubs on producing youngsters that go on to have a career in football and i suspect you don't either really unless you have analysed every clubs youngsters over the last 16 years.

If they are good enough, then they will get a game with us. The management aren't going to not pick a youngster just because of their age. Most unfortunately won't quite make it with us whilst we are a PL or top end Championship level team but may be good enough to play lower down the footballing pyramid. We all love our youngsters playing for the first team but the bottom line is they have to be better than what we can source from elsewhere or who is already on the team. If we have Arblaster and maybe one or two others becoming a regular for us in the next season or two we will have done well as a club with our academy.

7 stand outs dating back 15 years. You forgot brooks tbf but that shows how hard it is. One every other year is good going. It also shows how unlikely it is for the majority of the players in our youth set up.

Most Wycombe fans I have seen doubt boyes is good enough for the championship let alone premier league. They have seen far more of him at a level well above any blade has seen of him.

If he has been recalled for our first team squad then it will be as cover now we have sent Thomas back.
Makes sense, why have one of our loan spots filled when we have one of our own already our on loan.
He might not play, but being in and around the squad will be of benefit to the manager to assess his future value to the club.

In a few weeks Larouchi will be back. Lowe may be fit. RND may be back fully match fit and getting back to his best.

I don’t see any issue with this, it’s likely going to free up a spot elsewhere to improve us.

He may also be getting a permanent transfer given he’s done better at Lincoln, and not getting fulll games at Wycombe.

United academy products playing first team football in the top four divisions (non-exhaustive list):

PL: David Brooks (Bournemouth), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)
CH: Kyle Naughton (Swansea), Regan Slater (Hull City), Ben Whiteman (Preston)
L1: Kacper Lopata (Barnsley), Theo Williams (Fleetwood)
L2: George Broadbent (Doncaster), Jake Eastwood (Grimsby), Otis Khan (Walsall), Harrison Neal (Carlisle), Jordan Slew (Morecambe), Jake Young (Bradford)

United academy products playing first team football in the top four divisions (non-exhaustive list):

PL: David Brooks (Bournemouth), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)
CH: Kyle Naughton (Swansea), Regan Slater (Hull City), Ben Whiteman (Preston)
L1: Kacper Lopata (Barnsley), Theo Williams (Fleetwood)
L2: George Broadbent (Doncaster), Jake Eastwood (Grimsby), Otis Khan (Walsall), Harrison Neal (Carlisle), Jordan Slew (Morecambe), Jake Young (Bradford)
We always forget CJ Hamilton

Problem with youth team football particularly at places like Liverpool or Man City is that you've got to be stupidly good to break in. Being a youth team prospect further down the pyramid gets you in the team far more quickly and easily but at the expense of earning big bucks for playing essentially kids football. Anybody who's any good will likely get hoovered up like we've seen with most of ours and like Liverpool did signing Harvey Elliott from Fulham.

There are plenty of ex-Liverpool and Man City kicking around the leagues but I can only thing of Trent, Curtis Jones, Phil Foden and Rico Lewis who have actually come into the team without going on loan first. Of those, only Trent and Foden are guaranteed starters. Cole Palmer left Man City to get games and is a bona-fide Premier League player. Tommy Doyle will make a good living in the top 2 divisions.

There are others like James Trafford, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Tyler Morton, and one or two others playing PL/Championship football but when there are 4 regulars out of over 100 players combined in Liverpool and Man City's u21s/u18s, it just goes to show how many really rise to the very top

If they've not broken in by 21, they probably never will, meanwhile without playing any sort of meaningful men's football but demanding the sort of salary and environment that teams in the Championship/League One just can't provide.

There was an article when we were in League one (about 2016) highlighting the clubs that had players from their academies who who had made the most Premier league appearances in a given season.

We were about 7th in the list. This took many by surprise that a league one club who had no chance of playing their own players directly in the Premier league were so high up in the listings.

We should be proud of our achievements over the years in encouraging a youth policy. (I go back to the Archie Clark days).

Did we have 4 in the starting line-up against Gillingham?

There was an article when we were in League one (about 2016) highlighting the clubs that had players from their academies who who had made the most Premier league appearances in a given season.

We were about 7th in the list. This took many by surprise that a league one club who had no chance of playing their own players directly in the Premier league were so high up in the listings.

We should be proud of our achievements over the years in encouraging a youth policy. (I go back to the Archie Clark days).

I remember this article, was hoping someone would quote it. Think we were behind Ajax and Barcelona, it included foreign clubs as well.

You're spot on, we should be proud of our academy instead of putting our players down.
Brooks and Osula are two players that we will do well to hold on to, in the long term. They will already be attracting interest from other premiership teams.
It's a fact of life that we can't compete in the transfer market for the top players and most fans accepted that we had to look at younger players with potential to develop into stars of the future.
What we shouldn't be doing is letting these players go for a pittance, like we did with Calvert Lewin.
I might be wrong but I think most fans would prefer to see the likes of Osula and/or Jebbison playing for us rather than Brewster and Mcburnie (who keeps letting us down).
At the moment I'll trust the judgement of our coaching staff when they say we have a number of young players with real potential and they will have my backing for as long as it takes.

We always forget CJ Hamilton
Josh Chapman was a graduate from our academy who went to Rotherham. I am pretty sure I watched him play for our U14s in a tournament in Norway in 2015.

He was on the bench for them a few times, but never made his debut. Just learned now he's decided to retire from football:

If he has been recalled for our first team squad then it will be as cover now we have sent Thomas back.
Makes sense, why have one of our loan spots filled when we have one of our own already our on loan.
He might not play, but being in and around the squad will be of benefit to the manager to assess his future value to the club.

In a few weeks Larouchi will be back. Lowe may be fit. RND may be back fully match fit and getting back to his best.

I don’t see any issue with this, it’s likely going to free up a spot elsewhere to improve us.

Have we actually sent Thomas back ? Not seen anything official, nothing on the club website

7 stand outs dating back 15 years. You forgot brooks tbf but that shows how hard it is. One every other year is good going. It also shows how unlikely it is for the majority of the players in our youth set up.

Most Wycombe fans I have seen doubt boyes is good enough for the championship let alone premier league. They have seen far more of him at a level well above any blade has seen of him.
Perhaps the management team that we have can make better informed decisions than those on here ?

And Jags has only just retired…we always forget about him.

Very few youngsters make to the highest level. But there are quite a number of young players leaving us who have made a living of professional football. That in itself is a success IMO.

Strange that with Boyes. Regular for Wycombe - 17 starts and 5 subs in the League.

They're mid table. He's joined rock-bottom Fleetwood

This may not be the same article as it's from 2018, but it's shows our academy was 5th at that time.

That is incredible and something to be proud of, given that we'd only spent one season in the Premier League in recent history at that point, and don't even have a category 1 academy.

However, it includes 6 players that had broken through over a period of 18 years. That's 1 every 3 years even for a period where we clearly massively overachieved in this department. The likelihood is that we can expect even fewer going forward, which just shows how hard it is to bring through academy prospects for the level we want to be at.

Strange that with Boyes. Regular for Wycombe - 17 starts and 5 subs in the League.

They're mid table. He's joined rock-bottom Fleetwood
As I pointed out earlier in the thread he had only made 2 starting appearances since the beginning of December one he went off after 63 min, he did also come as a sub in the 83min of another game..

Back
Top Bottom