Goalkeeper

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don't understand why any keeper would actively choose to punch the ball rather than catch it if they have the opportunity to do so. You catch the ball, you relieve the pressure instantly, and your team can push out and build again. You punch the ball, the ball remains active in play, and can realistically go anwhere - sometimes to a defender, sometime not. If the latter, you can be in big trouble defensively.

A good keeper should always try and claim the ball by catching it. Only if he's under serious physical pressure and struggling to get any contact with the ball should the punch option be chosen.

Drives me insane to watch multi millionaire keepers struggle to catch a fkin football. If they can't catch a ball they have no right being a goalkeeper. It's part of the job description and an important element at that. Joe Hart...another puncher under no pressure. Hence a crap keeper.

Exactly and if LJBlade is right that coaches are telling keepers to punch more then I don't agree with that principle, unless they misjudge a ball, can't catch it, or are suddenly obstructed and they have to punch, rather than catch.

Blackman didn't have much to do tonight, so tough to make an accurate judgement.
His 1st appearance for the club on a wet, windy night. He looked a tad nervous (understandable) in a dead rubber pre season friendly against a team which had nothing to lose / all to gain. He seemed quiet, not really much shouting/commanding of his area, with two goals marking the sheet. The 1st one he will probably admit in the cold light of day he may be been quicker off his line as it rolled underneath him. The 2nd one there appeared little he could do after defensive errors.
JB had one handling error when he dropped a deep cross on to the toes of a blade (fortunately) who cleared it. Other than that his handling was okay, but in fairness he had very little to do.

Based on what I saw tonight, if it were my decision- and it isn't, it would be Eastwood starting the season.

Blackman didn't have much to do tonight, so tough to make an accurate judgement.
His 1st appearance for the club on a wet, windy night. He looked a tad nervous (understandable) in a dead rubber pre season friendly against a team which had nothing to lose / all to gain. He seemed quiet, not really much shouting/commanding of his area, with two goals marking the sheet. The 1st one he will probably admit in the cold light of day he may be been quicker off his line as it rolled underneath him. The 2nd one there appeared little he could do after defensive errors.
JB had one handling error when he dropped a deep cross on to the toes of a blade (fortunately) who cleared it. Other than that his handling was okay, but in fairness he had very little to do.

Based on what I saw tonight, if it were my decision- and it isn't, it would be Eastwood starting the season.
Which begs the question, who's choice actually is it? How much of a say does the goalkeeper coach (Darren Ward) get in the matter. I'd imagine he'd go for Eastwood all the way.

Really cannot see what people's issues are with Blackman, is it because he is not a name we know. According to CW, he has been after him all summer, he has just signed a new 4 year contract at Chelsea, they don't renew contracts for 13K a week if they don't see potential. He has captained his country, at his age level. he has played first team football, agreed at league 2 level, but still first team level. Eastwood has played two and a bit pre season games, played well but not really been pressured. He may become the best goalie we have ever had, but he may not, but to me Eastwood would not be ready yet. If Blackman is selected next week, I hope the boo boys don't get on his back,if he makes a mistake, same if Eastwood plays, otherwise we might have a George Long situation.

Well it's one of the two next week as Moore needs a 'minor clean up operation' and I can't imagine that Blackman has come to be number 3 keeper. Given he played a full season for Wycombe last year id think he will get the nod

Really cannot see what people's issues are with Blackman, is it because he is not a name we know. According to CW, he has been after him all summer, he has just signed a new 4 year contract at Chelsea, they don't renew contracts for 13K a week if they don't see potential. He has captained his country, at his age level. he has played first team football, agreed at league 2 level, but still first team level. Eastwood has played two and a bit pre season games, played well but not really been pressured. He may become the best goalie we have ever had, but he may not, but to me Eastwood would not be ready yet. If Blackman is selected next week, I hope the boo boys don't get on his back,if he makes a mistake, same if Eastwood plays, otherwise we might have a George Long situation.

The problem I have with this is the use of the word "potential". We don't need potential IMHO. We need the finished article but we don't have a barrel of muneh. George had potential for some years and that didn't do us any favours. As I see it we now have two able bodied keepers available with potential. One has been around the club for years and become part of the squad,the other seems to have been brought in to challenge Moore. Our obligations to Chelsea are no doubt to play him. What concerns me is that if he proves to be less than competent and costs us points we will still have to select him. Not ideal but fingers crossed for him. Lets hope he lives up to his potential.

The problem I have with this is the use of the word "potential". We don't need potential IMHO. We need the finished article but we don't have a barrel of muneh. George had potential for some years and that didn't do us any favours. As I see it we now have two able bodied keepers available with potential. One has been around the club for years and become part of the squad,the other seems to have been brought in to challenge Moore. Our obligations to Chelsea are no doubt to play him. What concerns me is that if he proves to be less than competent and costs us points we will still have to select him. Not ideal but fingers crossed for him. Lets hope he lives up to his potential.

So you are making the claim that Chelsea have only let us sign Blackman if we agree to play him at all times?

Blackman dropped a routine cross, last night, and there was a scary little dribble round a player too.

Not sure on him with the bits I saw of Wycombe, and nothing last night changed my mind.

Consoling myself with the fact Chelsea rate him enough to give him a long contract.

Blackman dropped a routine cross, last night, and there was a scary little dribble round a player too.

Not sure on him with the bits I saw of Wycombe, and nothing last night changed my mind.

Consoling myself with the fact Chelsea rate him enough to give him a long contract.

Will CW be brave enough (both age wise and pissing Chelsea off) to play Eastwood next week if he feels it's the right decision until Blackman proves himself in training??

I think he would be.

Will CW be brave enough (both age wise and pissing Chelsea off) to play Eastwood next week if he feels it's the right decision until Blackman proves himself in training??

I think he would be.

So do I, hope he gets it right whoever he chooses.

Being honest I'm in two minds about Blackman.

On the one hand it's a key position and as Moore proved last season a solid keeper is required In particular one to be loud and organise the defence. Is he that keeper?

And on the other he's at Chelsea and their academy is a production line for good quality players most of whom have excelled when out on loan in the championship.

Let's also not forget Moore isn't perfect. He made the odd mistake and was beaten near post and from range on occasions. We can't judge Blackman after one friendly appearance where he met his teammates 24 hrs before.

I think he would be.

Chris Wilder will see Eastwood and Blackman in training every day.
He will see who is performing best and who is up for it.
He will then select Blackman regardless........o_O

It is very difficult to play for the first time alongside players you don't know. This can play havoc with how to anticipate what is going to happen in front of you and make your own positional judgments accordingly. This can generate nervousness within himself and hinder full concentration.

I have been in that situation and understand what it can do to you.

Give the lad time to get to know his new team mates and how they play. before committing him to the "scrap heap". If he good enough for his country as captain and for Chelsea to give him a long contract, we should have (AND SHOW HIM) that we have confidence in him too.

PLEASE DO NOT UNDERMINE HIM & CREATE ANOTHER GEORGE LONG SITUATION

It is very difficult to play for the first time alongside players you don't know. This can play havoc with how to anticipate what is going to happen in front of you and make your own positional judgments accordingly. This can generate nervousness within himself and hinder full concentration.

I have been in that situation and understand what it can do to you.

Give the lad time to get to know his new team mates and how they play. before committing him to the "scrap heap". If he good enough for his country as captain and for Chelsea to give him a long contract, we should have (AND SHOW HIM) that we have confidence in him too.

PLEASE DO NOT UNDERMINE HIM & CREATE ANOTHER GEORGE LONG SITUATION
Spot on Hodgy. I said the same thing last season when some were highlighting every single mistake that Moore made.

It's the most volatile unforgiving position in the team, a keeper can win or lose games almost singlehandedly. The best thing we can all do is back him 100% and help him settle in, but unfortunately some 'Blades' posts I read on Twitter had already decided he's not up to it and even linked their comments to his account. Utter madness really although I suspect there's a whiff of Pork about some.

Spot on Hodgy. I said the same thing last season when some were highlighting every single mistake that Moore made.

It's the most volatile unforgiving position in the team, a keeper can win or lose games almost singlehandedly. The best thing we can all do is back him 100% and help him settle in, but unfortunately some 'Blades' posts I read on Twitter had already decided he's not up to it and even linked their comments to his account. Utter madness really although I suspect there's a whiff of Pork about some.

Can you imagine before your first day at a new work place someone ringing you to tell you you were shit?

Absolutely morons. Don't know what goes through their punt minds tbh.

He'll get a good reception I'm sure and as many have pointed out Chelsea don't reward crap players with new contracts. I'm sure he'll do great for us when called upon and if he's not brilliant the. Moore will regain his place once he recovers from injury.

Not really a priority position but I wouldn't mind a youngish keeper with potential. (Early to mid 20s)

Mark Travers, 24, Ireland International off to Stoke from Bournemouth wouldn't have been a bad cheaper option.

Not really a priority position but I wouldn't mind a youngish keeper with potential. (Early to mid 20s)

Mark Travers, 24, Ireland International off to Stoke from Bournemouth wouldn't have been a bad cheaper option.
Just think until we're in a better financial state, there's no point thinking about it. Wes deserves a shot, even if he may not make it. Davies may not fill people with confidence, but he's far from an amateur and played plenty at Championship level. Amissah is young and seems confident, even if he never makes it close to the top tier.

I would not want Wes to get injured! But what can you do. Unless there's a free keeper that's better than Adam Davies and with reasonable wage expectations.

We saw the obvious local replacement make a reflex save from Jebbo last night 🤔 :oops:
Yes please but someone said Rotherham wanted 5m for him, so that makes it unlikely. He is a fantastic shot stopper, maybe send Davies the other way

Said time and again, we should have gone for Butland or Heaton

Back
Top Bottom