Goal droughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What was his goalscoring record like at his previous clubs? How does it compare at this level?

Sorry, I know I could look it up myself, but I can't be arsed.

He didn't go 80 games without a goal I'd wager.

I thought after the Clough Adkins abysmal midfield era we'd got shut of non scoring midfielders clearly not.

He didn't go 80 games without a goal I'd wager.

I thought after the Clough Adkins abysmal midfield era we'd got shut of non scoring midfielders clearly not.

OK, curiosity got the better of me:

norwood goals.png

His record with us is marginally worse than with his other championship sides, but he's never been prolific for any of his clubs, that's for sure.

OK, curiosity got the better of me:

View attachment 131345

His record with us is marginally worse than with his other championship sides, but he's never been prolific for any of his clubs, that's for sure.

Transfermarkt reckons 5 of his (senior) league goals have been penalties too, so we're looking at a grand total of 17 non-penalty goals across 410 league games (a goal every 24 games).

If I had to guess, I'd say he plays a slightly different role with United than some of his previous clubs but still, 2 non-penalty goals from 143 league games with the Blades is absolutely astonishing really (a goal every 71.5 games).

Transfermarkt reckons 5 of his (senior) league goals have been penalties too, so we're looking at a grand total of 17 non-penalty goals across 410 league games (a goal every 24 games).

If I had to guess, I'd say he plays a slightly different role with United than some of his previous clubs but still, 2 non-penalty goals from 143 league games with the Blades is absolutely astonishing really (a goal every 71.5 games).

And one of those being a dodgy free kick in the Villa game?

Given the other was the Brentford strike, and the goal he scored against Millwall in the Cup a couple of years ago, maybe its the London smog he enjoys.

8 games to go, and we have 10 midfielders/wing backs/forwards who haven't scored for 10+ games. 2 are crocked for the season and were on loan (what were Millwall thinking?) but some of the other 8 are going to have to step up if Sharp's injury keeps him out of games.

In the 5 games since I last updated goal machine Sander Berge has left the list (and well done him), but there are 2 new entrants: Ben Osborn and Iliman Ndiaye. The letter's lack of end product is particularly disappointing.

Last time I asked why Norwood was entrusted with shooting from corners. Well, he was a Jack Robinson deflection and an awful offside decision from showing me why. Unlucky.

On a similar theme, if you have an indirect free kick in the area 8 yards out and MGW and Sharp are both on the pitch, it might not be optimal strategy to let Conor Hourihane take the shot.

Oliver Norwood 87 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 56 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 37 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Conor Hourihane 24 games, no league goals.
John Fleck 23 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Rhys Norrington-Davies 20 games, no league goals
Ollie Burke 15 games, last goal v Man Utd 2020-21
Luke Freeman 15 games, no league goals
Ben Osborn 14 games, last goal v Barnsley 2021-22
Iliman Ndiaye 11 games, last goal v Fulham 2021-22

8 games to go, and we have 10 midfielders/wing backs/forwards who haven't scored for 10+ games. 2 are crocked for the season and were on loan (what were Millwall thinking?) but some of the other 8 are going to have to step up if Sharp's injury keeps him out of games.

In the 5 games since I last updated goal machine Sander Berge has left the list (and well done him), but there are 2 new entrants: Ben Osborn and Iliman Ndiaye. The letter's lack of end product is particularly disappointing.

Last time I asked why Norwood was entrusted with shooting from corners. Well, he was a Jack Robinson deflection and an awful offside decision from showing me why. Unlucky.

On a similar theme, if you have an indirect free kick in the area 8 yards out and MGW and Sharp are both on the pitch, it might not be optimal strategy to let Conor Hourihane take the shot.

Oliver Norwood 87 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 56 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 37 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
John Fleck 23 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Rhys Norrington-Davies 20 games, no league goals
Ben Osborn 14 games, last goal v Barnsley 2021-22
Iliman Ndiaye 11 games, last goal v Fulham 2021-22
Still not including the CB's then? Don't see why, Robinson and Egan have been prolific compared to some of those on your list. Even Davies has popped up with one. Bash's last league goal was his memorable Basham arriving at Leeds in 2019.

But surely he shouldn't be expected to have a lot of goals? Of all the positions in our squad, he probably plays the least attacking of all.
The CBs go up for corners. The wing backs get into the box etc.
It's very rare to see Norwood in the box from open play. When he takes free kicks, it's rare that he shoots.
Hanging on the edge of the box from corners or taking penalties are the only realistic chance of scoring he gets.

Why is everybody surprised?
Players that score goals cost money
Players that create goals cost money

We don't spend money wisely

Signing eight Players who will never really shine, and never be worth any more than what we paid for them.

Players that end up costing more in the long run because nobody wants them, and we have to wait until their contracts expire or pay them off rather than four quality players that do the job and will have a big sale value.

This has become known as the Blaaayyyyyddeess Waaahhhyyyy

But surely he shouldn't be expected to have a lot of goals? Of all the positions in our squad, he probably plays the least attacking of all.
The CBs go up for corners. The wing backs get into the box etc.
It's very rare to see Norwood in the box from open play. When he takes free kicks, it's rare that he shoots.
Hanging on the edge of the box from corners or taking penalties are the only realistic chance of scoring he gets.

Definitely don't expect him to have a lot of goals but a goal every 71.5 games is borderline freakish I'd say. Plus he actually does shoot quite a lot! I just looked on Whoscored and he has taken the 13th most shots this season out of all midfielders in the Championship, more than the likes of Keshi Anderson (4 goals), James Garner (3 goals), Mario Vrancic (3 goals).

Some of that is down to the sheer amount of minutes he's played this season but still, there's a lot of evidence now that he's just poor at shooting despite how very, very good he is at kicking a football to a precise destination over a long distance.

About time! Well done Ollie (possibly a deflection though?)

The chart has a new leader for the first time since November:

Enda Stevens 57 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 38 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
John Fleck 25 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Rhys Norrington-Davies 22 games, no league goals
Ben Osborn 16 games, last goal v Barnsley 2021-22
Iliman Ndiaye 12 games, last goal v Fulham 2021-22

It took a pretty decent deflection but if anything that helped the keeper. Looked like it was going perfectly bottom corner with no chance for the keeper, deflection put it towards the keeper but there was too much on it for him.

Thought of you Revolution when he scored weirdly!

It took a pretty decent deflection but if anything that helped the keeper. Looked like it was going perfectly bottom corner with no chance for the keeper, deflection put it towards the keeper but there was too much on it for him.

Webding says it was going wide. Think he has spent too much time with Gage.

I am counting his Blackpool goal because no one and not even the ref has bothered to explain why it was disallowed.

So I say 2* goals for the season for Norwood.

I am counting his Blackpool goal because no one and not even the ref has bothered to explain why it was disallowed.

So I say 2* goals for the season for Norwood.
1649240593911.png

It's harsh but it's not unfathomable. Sharp is slow to get out and is in front of the keeper. Norwood's shot initially travels directly towards the keeper before deflecting off Robinson's head. The deflection beat the goalkeeper rather than Sharp's position but the linesman gave the offside (not the referee) and he almost certainly didn't see the deflection. I would guess that the linesman's assumption was that the keeper didn't move because he was unsighted and that was why he flagged.

View attachment 133571

It's harsh but it's not unfathomable. Sharp is slow to get out and is in front of the keeper. Norwood's shot initially travels directly towards the keeper before deflecting off Robinson's head. The deflection beat the goalkeeper rather than Sharp's position but the linesman gave the offside (not the referee) and he almost certainly didn't see the deflection. I would guess that the linesman's assumption was that the keeper didn't move because he was unsighted and that was why he flagged.

It's a goal, I won't debate it. Just write it down and demand the EFL give us 3 points. :)

It's a goal, I won't debate it. Just write it down and demand the EFL give us 3 points. :)
Two points :)

Thought of you Revolution when he scored weirdly!

I thought same as he was celebrating

Me too, I envisaged Revolution getting the streamers out. When (or If) McBurnie scores this thread is going to explode.

I posted something along those lines in the shoutbox as soon as it was clear who'd scored 😂

Back
Top Bottom