Goal droughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

About time! Well done Ollie (possibly a deflection though?)

The chart has a new leader for the first time since November:

Enda Stevens 57 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 38 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
John Fleck 25 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Conor Hourihane 24 games, no league goals.
Rhys Norrington-Davies 22 games, no league goals
Ben Osborn 16 games, last goal v Barnsley 2021-22
Ollie Burke 15 games, last goal v Man Utd 2020-21
Luke Freeman 15 games, no league goals
Iliman Ndiaye 12 games, last goal v Fulham 2021-22
Ossie is next, he's been getting in all the right places.

If he actually manages to hit the target with one of course!

A disturbing development to report: Ollie Burke scored a goal. He shinned it in from a yard and it almost went wide, but a goal's a goal. Doesn't affect this chart, though, as it wasn't for us.

McBurnie has started 5 games this calendar year. Those games have featured 2 goals. We lost 1-0 at Millwall and beat QPR 1-0, and there have been 3 scoreless draws.

Enda Stevens 58 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 39 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
John Fleck 26 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Conor Hourihane 25 games, no league goals.
Ben Osborn 17 games, last goal v Barnsley 2021-22

Aston Villa comes to mind, summer of 2020. Norwood got robbed as bad as Lampard v Germany 2010. A goal FFS😰😠

In many ways, Norwood’s was worse than Lampard’s because the technology was actually there. Lanyard’s was just a bad decision from the ref/lino and couldn’t have been overruled. With Norwood’s, something iffy happened. Even if the camera was “occluded”, they could have used the TV footage to call it back, and make some excuse about the ref’s watch not working.

A disturbing development to report: Ollie Burke scored a goal. He shinned it in from a yard and it almost went wide, but a goal's a goal. Doesn't affect this chart, though, as it wasn't for us.

McBurnie has started 5 games this calendar year. Those games have featured 2 goals. We lost 1-0 at Millwall and beat QPR 1-0, and there have been 3 scoreless draws.

Oli McBurnie 39 games without a goal, for a player we spunked the best part of £20m on plus his ridiculous wages, that is a truly shocking statistic.

The worst thing is he's not really missing chances either, he just never gets in the right positions so it looks like his drought will continue way past 40 games

View attachment 133571

It's harsh but it's not unfathomable. Sharp is slow to get out and is in front of the keeper. Norwood's shot initially travels directly towards the keeper before deflecting off Robinson's head. The deflection beat the goalkeeper rather than Sharp's position but the linesman gave the offside (not the referee) and he almost certainly didn't see the deflection. I would guess that the linesman's assumption was that the keeper didn't move because he was unsighted and that was why he flagged.
Think I said at time it is debateable as to whether Sharp is blocking view. But none the less once it deflects off Robinson it becomes another phase and so that first shot is not relevant.

Brewster (who was on the list for ages) and Freeman also scored in the league cup. It’s odd.

It seems to disprove the idea of playing people in the cup against weak opposition to boost their confidence.

So you could also say we've kept 4 clean sheets from 5 matches when McB has started. Perhaps it's true that he's a born defender.

Iliman drops out and McBurnie makes it 40 without a goal.

A very productive Bank Holiday weekend. Iliman drops off the list after his not quite last gasp goal v Reading, and there are are two round number milestones. Enda Stevens hits the 60 game drought barrier, and Oli "he's going to come good" McBurnie hits the 40 game drought barrier, but he scored a lot of goals for Swansea, you know.

Conor Hourihane, who will be a useful test case this summer for checking how dumb those directing our transfer policy are, ties with Fleck after his brief cameo yesterday.

Enda Stevens 60 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 40 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
John Fleck 27 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Conor Hourihane 27 games, no league goals.
Ben Osborn 19 games, last goal v Barnsley 2021-22

Meanwhile, the records just keep coming for McBurnie. Most league games played in a season by a striker without scoring a league goal this century:

28 games (9 starts, 19 sub) - Oli McBurnie 2021-22 (so far)
27 games (12 starts, 15 sub) - Rhian Brewster 2020-21
21 games (10 starts, 11 sub) - Rob Hulse 2007-8

That policy of buying up and coming young players with high re-sale value if we go down really paying dividends there.

Incidentally, I categorise this as a 21st century record, but I do wonder whether it's an all time club record. Nobody springs to mind as being this non-prolific in the last 2 decades of the 20th century, and before that we were either in the top division or challenging for promotion from the old Division 2 and anyone not scoring for 10 or so games was unceremoniously dumped, I suspect. I might check this if I am really bored at some point.

Conor Hourihane, who will be a useful test case this summer for checking how dumb those directing our transfer policy are, ties with Fleck after his brief cameo yesterday.
Conor Hourihane takes his name off the goal droughts list and is a very handy squad option to have around on a free!

I don't think there's any coincidence that Fleck and Norwood's corners have got better (stopped hitting the first man every time) since CH arrived

One game to go, and the list is shorter than it's been all season after Conor Hourihane's late goal on Friday. A few people have been chipping in with useful goals.

When we signed Hourihane I noted what Swansea fans said about him and thought we'd be in for a Jason Holt type season where he'd get 4 or 5 goals but do little of note otherwise. Such a player is, I think, more valuable than people think, so I would have been happy with that. It hasn't worked out like that, but he finally broke his duck on Friday, and what an important goal that could prove to be.

Enda Stevens 62 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
John Fleck 29 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Ben Osborn 21 games, last goal v Barnsley 2021-22

One game to go, and the list is shorter than it's been all season after Conor Hourihane's late goal on Friday. A few people have been chipping in with useful goals.

When we signed Hourihane I noted what Swansea fans said about him and thought we'd be in for a Jason Holt type season where he'd get 4 or 5 goals but do little of note otherwise. Such a player is, I think, more valuable than people think, so I would have been happy with that. It hasn't worked out like that, but he finally broke his duck on Friday, and what an important goal that could prove to be.

Can you imagine how mental it’s going to go when McBurnie does score?

Enda must feel a right twat being the only one left ahead of Oli 'cant score in a brothel' Mcburnie

Back
Top Bottom