Goal droughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After Deadbat plugged the goal drought chart on the Tufty pod I had to provide an update. Here we go:

George Baldock 65 games, last goal v Norwich 2019-20
Oliver Norwood 61 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 44 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Rhian Brewster 33 games, no league goals
Oli McBurnie 20 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Lys Mousset 17 games, last goal v Spurs 2019-20
Ollie Burke 15 games last goal v Man Utd 2020-21
Luke Freeman 15 games no league goals
Jayden Bogle 11 games last goal v WBA 2020-21

Congrats to Oli McBurnie who has now hit the 20 games without scoring barrier. There were some promising moments on Saturday, though, most notably when the shot cannoned off his head and flashed just wide of the post. That was the most powerful attacking header I've ever seen from him, and a few inches past the post is also pretty accurate. We might be onto something there.

It's also nice to see a return to the side for Mousset, 8 weeks after he suffered an injury that was to keep him out for 4 to 6 weeks. So close to coming off the list too, had he not missed the easiest chance presented to a United striker this season. Oh well. Be interesting to see if he manages to get a knock during the international break.
I thought McB played well on Saturday including a forward run through tackles. Whilst M should have scored it was not that easy a chance and others have already missed simpler ones.
Whilst they’re interesting statistics I wonder who benefits from producing them. Probably not the players.

After Deadbat plugged the goal drought chart on the Tufty pod I had to provide an update. Here we go:

Oliver Norwood 61 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 44 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 20 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Lys Mousset 17 games, last goal v Spurs 2019-20
Jayden Bogle 11 games last goal v WBA 2020-21

Congrats to Oli McBurnie who has now hit the 20 games without scoring barrier. There were some promising moments on Saturday, though, most notably when the shot cannoned off his head and flashed just wide of the post. That was the most powerful attacking header I've ever seen from him, and a few inches past the post is also pretty accurate. We might be onto something there.

It's also nice to see a return to the side for Mousset, 8 weeks after he suffered an injury that was to keep him out for 4 to 6 weeks. So close to coming off the list too, had he not missed the easiest chance presented to a United striker this season. Oh well. Be interesting to see if he manages to get a knock during the international break.

Get Le Pirate off this list of shame 🏴‍☠️ 🇫🇷

Well done to Mousset for getting himself off the list. For the last 15 months he's been about as effective as the pirates in an Asterix book, so it's nice to see a goal at last. Hopefully he can stay fit...

Also apologies to Oli McBurnie. I made a big thing last time of him reaching 20 league games without scoring. I had miscounted and it was actually 21 games.

Oliver Norwood 62 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 45 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 21 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Jayden Bogle 12 games last goal v WBA 2020-21

Moose looked like he'd put a bit of timber on..

Took goal well though..

Moose looked like he'd put a bit of timber on..

Took goal well though..
Although he seems to get stick for putting a bit of weight on with him being 6ft he could easily offer us something different up top if he keeps fitness even if that is in 20 mins spells off the bench. He will naturally draw defenders, he still can score himself mind with a bit of pace and still only 25. There are a few others within the squad that could benefit with putting a bit of bulk on. Jebbo will be a similar threat if he did but in the current matchday squad Ndiaye wouldn't go a miss being a bit heavier.

Well done to Mousset for getting himself off the list. For the last 15 months he's been about as effective as the pirates in an Asterix book, so it's nice to see a goal at last. Hopefully he can stay fit...

Also apologies to Oli McBurnie. I made a big thing last time of him reaching 20 league games without scoring. I had miscounted and it was actually 21 games.

One of the worst statistics there is Norwood's record.

Whilst playing for us he scores once every 31 games.

One of the worst statistics there is Norwood's record.

Whilst playing for us he scores once every 31 games.

I normally happily defend him when people say all he does is the cross field 'ping', but that stat is appalling.

Even without Michael Brown's 20 goals in a season, a successful side needs the midfield engine room to chip in with around half a dozen each.

Although he seems to get stick for putting a bit of weight on with him being 6ft he could easily offer us something different up top if he keeps fitness even if that is in 20 mins spells off the bench. He will naturally draw defenders, he still can score himself mind with a bit of pace and still only 25. There are a few others within the squad that could benefit with putting a bit of bulk on. Jebbo will be a similar threat if he did but in the current matchday squad Ndiaye wouldn't go a miss being a bit heavier.

I'd agree you need to have a bit of weight / muscle mass, think more Stan Collymore than Neil Shipperly though..

Mousse can finish, never looked like he wouldn't Saturday, takes up great positions, confident, relaxed as fuck..

This is why we have the frustration with him, he's blessed and doesn't appear to want it sometimes, if he starts him tonight, does anybody think he's getting through the first 45 mins?? Because I have no faith he will.. Sorry, but that's what I think..

I think the script is written already, he probably goes down as potentially the best striker since Deane, the ball is in his court weather he wants it or wastes it..

You can see Brewster's goal drought from space.

I'd agree you need to have a bit of weight / muscle mass, think more Stan Collymore than Neil Shipperly though..

Mousse can finish, never looked like he wouldn't Saturday, takes up great positions, confident, relaxed as fuck..

This is why we have the frustration with him, he's blessed and doesn't appear to want it sometimes, if he starts him tonight, does anybody think he's getting through the first 45 mins?? Because I have no faith he will.. Sorry, but that's what I think..

I think the script is written already, he probably goes down as potentially the best striker since Deane, the ball is in his court weather he wants it or wastes it..
Agreed with you there. At the moment he is an impact player off the bench as I don't see him playing more than 30 mins in any game time. But they way he struck that ball was an incredible swerved finish could have easily fluffed his lines and the forum would have been in meltdown

Agreed with you there. At the moment he is an impact player off the bench as I don't see him playing more than 30 mins in any game time. But they way he struck that ball was an incredible swerved finish could have easily fluffed his lines and the forum would have been in meltdown

Great finish, never looked like missing.. If he did though.. Its a 20 thread afternoon just on him 😂😂😂

Mousset could be the best forward at the club (he’s got it in him) but I wouldn’t get carried away with his goal. Most forwards would have tapped that in. He’s overweight for a player at this level, injury prone (the weight won’t help) and unreliable.

Over one third of the season gone, then, and something new: a player returns to the list after falling off it. John Fleck has played every game since the demolition of Peterborough and not scored, so has a 10 game drought.

Other excitement sees Enda on the verge of a half century of games without a goal, and Baldock's recent injury niggles see Norwood close the gap on him at the top:

George Baldock 67 games, last goal v Norwich 2019-20
Oliver Norwood 66 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 49 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Rhian Brewster 34 games, no league goals
Oli McBurnie 23 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Jayden Bogle 14 games last goal v WBA 2020-21
John Fleck 10 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22

Exclude penalties and it's under one in 50.
To put it another way, Norwood has played 112 league games since he last scored in open play, at Brentford in 2018-9.

His league goals are 2 penalties, the free kick against Villa that the keeper let in at the front post, and his lob at Brentford.

Stick Brewster up top, out and out striker. No dropping him after a couple of game, leave him in for half a dozen games at least. Goals will come.

Stick Brewster up top, out and out striker. No dropping him after a couple of game, leave him in for half a dozen games at least. Goals will come.
if brewster starts he has to play upfront with mousset dont see any point playing him out wide looking like mid table for us this season but if these 2 click play offs a possibility

Over one third of the season gone, then, and something new: a player returns to the list after falling off it. John Fleck has played every game since the demolition of Peterborough and not scored, so has a 10 game drought.

Other excitement sees Enda on the verge of a half century of games without a goal, and Baldock's recent injury niggles see Norwood close the gap on him at the top:

George Baldock 67 games, last goal v Norwich 2019-20
Oliver Norwood 66 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 49 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Rhian Brewster 34 games, no league goals
Jayden Bogle 14 games last goal v WBA 2020-21
John Fleck 10 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
That Enda Stevens goal against Brighton seems like a lifetime ago, but it's not even 2 years

His loan at this level with Swansea he was an out and out striker, he wasn’t dropped if he didn’t score for a couple of games, 10 goals in 20 appearances, 1 in 2 for any striker is top notch. I don’t think he played too badly at Forest but now is the time to play him down the middle and give him a proper run of games.

His loan at this level with Swansea he was an out and out striker, he wasn’t dropped if he didn’t score for a couple of games, 10 goals in 20 appearances, 1 in 2 for any striker is top notch. I don’t think he played too badly at Forest but now is the time to play him down the middle and give him a proper run of games.
Not whilst Sharp and Mousset are fit, it isn’t. They are both demonstrably better than him.

To put it another way, Norwood has played 112 league games since he last scored in open play, at Brentford in 2018-9.

His league goals are 2 penalties, the free kick against Villa that the keeper let in at the front post, and his lob at Brentford.
One goal from open play in 128 league appearances. I would hazard a guess that there are goalkeepers playing today with better strike rates.

Contrast: 2 goals from open play in 10 cup appearances for us (against Millwall (FAC) & Blackburn (LC) in 2019/20)

One goal from open play in 128 league appearances. I would hazard a guess that there are goalkeepers playing today with better strike rates.

Contrast: 2 goals from open play in 10 cup appearances for us (against Millwall (FAC) & Blackburn (LC) in 2019/20)

And the Millwall goal was a good strike!

I don’t get the impression he’s a natural finisher who will put chances away.

On Tuesday night, he blasted one into the River Trent when he had acres of space. Then he missed that glorious chance to win it late on with a tame back-pass to their keeper, when he should have burst the net open.

As I was saying……….

I have never been more pleased to remove someone from the list: well done, Rhian. Let's have some more.

The list stays the same size, however, given Ndiaye has now completed 10 games without a goal after his excellent full debut. Nice player, still young, needs more end product.

Ollie Norwood briefly snatched equal top spot on Saturday until for reasons that are unclear to me George Baldock was brought on towards the end of the game and regained the lead. Congrats also to Enda for completing a half century of scoreless games. Meanwhile, Jayden Bogle ties Luke Freeman and fashion model from the future Ollie Burke.

George Baldock 68 games, last goal v Norwich 2019-20
Oliver Norwood 67 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 50 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Jayden Bogle 15 games last goal v WBA 2020-21
John Fleck 11 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Iliman Ndiaye 10 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22

Back
Top Bottom