Goal droughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have never been more pleased to remove someone from the list: well done, Rhian. Let's have some more.

The list stays the same size, however, given Ndiaye has now completed 10 games without a goal after his excellent full debut. Nice player, still young, needs more end product.

Ollie Norwood briefly snatched equal top spot on Saturday until for reasons that are unclear to me George Baldock was brought on towards the end of the game and regained the lead. Congrats also to Enda for completing a half century of scoreless games. Meanwhile, Jayden Bogle ties Luke Freeman and fashion model from the future Ollie Burke.

George Baldock 68 games, last goal v Norwich 2019-20
Oliver Norwood 67 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 50 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 23 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Ollie Burke 15 games last goal v Man Utd 2020-21
Luke Freeman 15 games no league goals
Jayden Bogle 15 games last goal v WBA 2020-21
John Fleck 11 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Iliman Ndiaye 10 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
There is a particularly embarrassing one on this list, given the position on the pitch he is played.

At least some of the others chip in with other positive contributions !!!

UTB

There is a particularly embarrassing one on this list, given the position on the pitch he is played.

At least some of the others chip in with other positive contributions !!!

UTB
I agree. And he has had plenty of chances to score some as well. That miss against Blackpool ......

A name removed from the list tonight - Bogle had passed Burke and Freeman on Saturday but now he's gone, thankfully.

The big news is a new joint leader as Norwood ties Baldock. Each player has a mind boggling 68 games without a goal and we are approaching the second anniversary of when each last scored in the league.

Here's hoping Fleck makes it back soon.

Oliver Norwood 68 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 52 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
John Fleck 13 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Iliman Ndiaye 11 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22

A name removed from the list tonight - Bogle had passed Burke and Freeman on Saturday but now he's gone, thankfully.

The big news is a new joint leader as Norwood ties Baldock. Each player has a mind boggling 68 games without a goal and we are approaching the second anniversary of when each last scored in the league.

Here's hoping Fleck makes it back soon.

Oliver Norwood 68 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 52 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20

Am I right in thinking Norwood has only ever scored one goal in open play for us? Against Brentford away?

Am I right in thinking Norwood has only ever scored one goal in open play for us? Against Brentford away?
Yep. that goal, 2 pens, and the free kick v Villa that went in at the near post.

He has scored in the cup in open play if memory serves.

Well, he's done it at last. Ollie Norwood overhauls the absent George Baldock to take the coveted current longest goal drought title. Sterling work.

There's also a surprising new entry as if you held a gun to my head and asked me to tell you how many league games Hourihane has played I'd never have said he's featured in 11 already, but he has. Lots of sub appearances so like Luke Freeman it's a bit unfortunate but the numbers are there. So with Fleck's new drought, Norwood's continued goal shy ways and Hourihane's appearance we are back to last season again, where our 3 midfielders can't score for toffee. Luckily others are chipping in this time around.

Oliver Norwood 69 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 53 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Conor Hourihane 11 games no league goals.

The list is back as a result of Ndiaye's brilliant goal last night ridding himself of drought status.

Oli McBurnie has now managed a calendar year without a league goal. George Baldock has now managed 2 calendar years without a league goal.

Oliver Norwood 71 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 55 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 24 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
John Fleck 14 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Conor Hourihane 13 games no league goals.

The list is back as a result of Ndiaye's brilliant goal last night ridding himself of drought status.

Oli McBurnie has now managed a calendar year without a league goal. George Baldock has now managed 2 calendar years without a league goal.

Oliver Norwood 71 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 55 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Conor Hourihane 13 games no league goals.
Oli Norwood has, in practice, ticked up two years alongside Baldock - his last goal was Boxing Day 2019.

New Year, halfway through the season, no new list entries, but Hourihane climbs above Luke Freeman.

Oliver Norwood 73 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Enda Stevens 56 games, last goal v Brighton 2019-20
Conor Hourihane 15 games no league goals.

A couple of thoughts:

- I note that last night we tried a corner kick routine where Hourihane swung the ball to Norwood who shot from distance. Is there a player less likely to score in that situation than Norwood?

- As I said elsewhere, Daniel Johnson of Preston is a favourite of mine. One reason for this is that he can pass, tackle and score goals. it seems to be illegal for Sheffield United midfielders to have those 3 skills all at once, as the above list bears out.

New Year, halfway through the season, no new list entries, but Hourihane climbs above Luke Freeman.

A couple of thoughts:

- I note that last night we tried a corner kick routine where Hourihane swung the ball to Norwood who shot from distance. Is there a player less likely to score in that situation than Norwood?

- As I said elsewhere, Daniel Johnson of Preston is a favourite of mine. One reason for this is that he can pass, tackle and score goals. it seems to be illegal for Sheffield United midfielders to have those 3 skills all at once, as the above list bears out.
You make a very good point on Johnson. If we wanted a midfield that could pass, tackle and score goals, that would involve us signing 3 separate players!

A couple of thoughts:

Why have we not utilised and got the best out of Freeman? Regularly scored from midfield at his previous clubs, usually between 5 to 10 goals from midfield at his best.

A couple of thoughts:

I don’t fret too much about Baldock and Stevens but Norwood and especially McBurnie are shocking.

I wonder what it would look like if you did minutes played since last goal? Might adjust for sub appearances.

Fat, shit and doesn't give a fuck like a lot of them don't.

Questions have to be answered by the club (which won't be)

3 different managers. Same issues with the same players. Something isn't right?

A couple of thoughts:

Besides everything else, how incredible is it that Luke Freeman has only played 15 times for us?! Wasn't he our record signing at the time?

Besides everything else, how incredible is it that Luke Freeman has only played 15 times for us?! Wasn't he our record signing at the time?
I’d totally forgot he played us! Wow.

Why have we not utilised and got the best out of Freeman? Regularly scored from midfield at his previous clubs, usually between 5 to 10 goals from midfield at his best.
Hourihane as well. Always a regular scorer at Championship level. Even got 5 in 19 games last season when Swansea fans said he was poor. This year, nothing.

Hourihane as well. Always a regular scorer at Championship level. Even got 5 in 19 games last season when Swansea fans said he was poor. This year, nothing.

Something isn't right. All these players come here and flop.

I wonder what it would look like if you did minutes played since last goal? Might adjust for sub appearances.

Very good point, well made.

I get this:

Oliver Norwood 5,523 mins
George Baldock 5,849 mins
Enda Stevens 4,909 mins
Oli McBurnie 996 mins
Ollie Burke 772 mins
Conor Hourihane 653 mins
Luke Freeman 501 mins
John Fleck 1,129 mins

That's how many minutes they've played since the game they scored in.

Very good point, well made.

I get this:

Oliver Norwood 5,523 mins
George Baldock 5,849 mins
Enda Stevens 4,909 mins
Oli McBurnie 996 mins
Ollie Burke 772 mins
Conor Hourihane 653 mins
Luke Freeman 501 mins
John Fleck 1,129 mins

That's how many minutes they've played since the game they scored in.

It would be a nice gesture if we could bring McBurnie on for four minutes, so that he can get his certificate.

Well, it cannot be said that Oliver Norwood isn't trying to get off the goal droughts list. His good recent performances have featured a number of pot shots, including a really good goalbound strike on Saturday that was deflected wide by a defender. Unlucky, but as a result he's three quarters of the way to a century of goalless games.

Hourihane climbs above Burke and Freeman. He's also taking a lot of shots, but no joy so far. He's not scored for club or country since last March after being a regular scorer throughout his career. The Blades midfield curse?

Rhys Norrington Davies is a newcomer to the list. Bit harsh, I suppose, as his early games were in Slav's back four, but after spurning more chances in 45 mins against Luton than most players have had this season perhaps he deserves it. The early signs are his shooting is woeful.

Oliver Norwood 75 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 26 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Conor Hourihane 17 games no league goals.
John Fleck 15 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Rhys Norrington-Davies 11 games no league goals

How long had OG's goal drought been, until they scored on Saturday?

Updated chart. At this point, all you can do is stand back and admire that fact that we are climbing the table with the help of good team performances and regular goals from a grand total of, er, 2 players, Sharp and Bogle.

Oliver Norwood 77 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
George Baldock 69 games, last goal v Norwich 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 28 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Conor Hourihane 18 games no league goals.
John Fleck 16 games last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Rhys Norrington-Davies 12 games no league goals

30 games played. Also 30 games without a goal for McBurnie.

Conor Hourihane played 19 league games for Swansea last season on loan. He scored 5 times. This season he's played 19 league games for us, and....

Oliver Norwood 79 games, last goal v Watford (pen) 2019-20
George Baldock 71 games, last goal v Norwich 2019-20
Oli McBurnie 30 games, last goal v Leicester 2020-21
Conor Hourihane 19 games, no league goals.
John Fleck 17 games, last goal v Peterborough 2021-22
Ollie Burke 15 games, last goal v Man Utd 2020-21
Luke Freeman 15 games, no league goals
Rhys Norrington-Davies 13 games, no league goals

You can see our midfield combinations no matter who you choose between Norwood, Hourihane, Berge or Fleck chip in with zero goals.

And our only out and out striker other than Billy has gone 30 games without a goal.

God help us 🙏

You can see our midfield combinations no matter who you choose between Norwood, Hourihane, Berge or Fleck chip in with zero goals.

And our only out and out striker other than Billy has gone 30 games without a goal.

God help us 🙏
This was my issue with the team selection yesterday.

You look and you say "where are the goals coming from?"

That said you also look and see both McBurnie one v one against the Keeper and N'Diaye the same and you say "what more do you want?"

Back
Top Bottom