Gills goal - one of the best goals ever seen at the Lane?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Taylors goal against Forest, Dellas against Portsmouth (I think), Deane against Liverpool from 40+ yards, Lake against Man City, Edwards against Bristol Rovers. Jags against Leeds, Jags against Boro........

It was a good goal but not even top 5 for me.

Taylors goal against Forest, Dellas against Portsmouth (I think), Deane against Liverpool from 40+ yards, Lake against Man City, Edwards against Bristol Rovers. Jags against Leeds, Jags against Boro........

It was a good goal but not even top 5 for me.
Agreed, Gills player hit it with a good old wallop but it nothing special.
To your list above I'd add the 2 Peter Beagrie thunderbolts against Hull on boxing day 1986

Same with the pundits. They might want to try youtube.

I think if you take off the united blinkers, you'll recognise that yesterday's goal was better than either of the two long range strikes he did for us.

Both of the ones he scored for us, he had at least a touch to control it before the strike, yesterday's was hit first time

Didnt think it was owt special having seen it again
Devent strike but no where near as good as some made out

Pembo's own goal vs Man City. brilliant, couldn't have put it there after 100 more goes.

I think if you take off the united blinkers, you'll recognise that yesterday's goal was better than either of the two long range strikes he did for us.

Both of the ones he scored for us, he had at least a touch to control it before the strike, yesterday's was hit first time

I don't agree. His hit against Leeds was from a silly distance. I can't separate that from what he did yesterday.

I don't agree. His hit against Leeds was from a silly distance. I can't separate that from what he did yesterday.

What he said, it was less the colour of the shirt he did it in and more the chest, thump, corner of the net from 30+ yards that did it for me.

Are some saying that it is better because he hit it first time and there is greater technique and skill in that??

I see where Silent is coming from ref: the Gills goal. However, because it's a red and white shirt, and he's a Blades legend, and it was against those bastards ...

Remains my 'best goal at the Lane', closely followed by Jags' thunderbolt against the dirties.

You can't watch those two strikes enough and feel damned good about United

pommpey

You might want a goal keeps "view" of the Gills goal.

My nipper is a goalie and we were right behind the strike in the South stand.

My nipper reckons he took the shot that early that Howard didn't get time to set himself - it is what goalies are taught, but the shot was just too quick and obviously too good.

As for the best at BDTBL - nah, at my age seen plenty better than that.

As just to show my fairness in football, I would consider Mel Stirlands free kick for Weeds into the kop goal better as well as a few Blades ones too.

UTB

That's what i'm saying yes.
That sparks a whole different debate about technicalities. Would this Suarez goal have been better hit 1st time or as it is with the 3 touches?

Personally I think there is a greater technical ability in having more touches and keeping control of the ball through those touches that results in a goal.

That sparks a whole different debate about technicalities. Would this Suarez goal have been better hit 1st time or as it is with the 3 touches?

Personally I think there is a greater technical ability in having more touches and keeping control of the ball through those touches that results in a goal.

I'm with you Boo. That Suarez goal was just quality. With all the great goals he scored at Liverpool from long distance etc I always preferred the playing 1-2s off defenders legs and the close control. Those to me were of a higher level.

I see where Silent is coming from ref: the Gills goal. However, because it's a red and white shirt, and he's a Blades legend, and it was against those bastards ...

Without getting involved in the argument, this is an awesome goal, and I hate the word awesome!

I always liked the goal Brown scored the week after against Ipswich in the FA Cup and a goal Michael Tonge scores against Millwall in the same season.

Back
Top Bottom