Favourite players who never played for SUFC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Matt LeTissier- made the game look easy and respected him for the loyalty shown when the big guns came in for him. Get the feeling he was like Billy with his love for the club, just more cultured and uglier.
Begrudging respect for several players I hated at the time, which meant they were good at their job
Keown
Hughes
Shearer
Schmeichel
Fowler

I think the players who made early impressions on me were Eusebio and Pele. That came from the World Cups. I still think that Eusebio was possibly the greatest of all time. But I was just a young kid and I don’t really trust my memory that far back to compare. Anyhow, the game was very different then. Totally different. Players weren’t athletes like they are today. Equipment was different. Pitches were different. Rules were different.

Before I started going to games George Best was the most amazing player I’d seen. Again, I still think he was one of the greatest of all time.

When I started watching I admired players like Alan Hudson, Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh and Don Rogers. I liked them because they were Mavericks.

There were other good players around in the early 70’s that I really enjoyed watching. Ralph Coates of Burnley for example. Not in the same class as the previous but a great player on the wing with a yard of hair streaming from his head! Ian Storey-Moore of Forest (what a wonderful talent he was). Alan Hinton (white boots) and Archie Gemill, of Derby.

Malcolm McDonald of (Luton and) Newcastle. Fabulous old fashioned centre forward. Charlie George of Arsenal. Kevin Beattie of Ipswich.

In later years: Thierry Henry and Dennis Berksmp of Arsenal, Eric Cantona of Man United. Paul Gascogne of Newcastle and Spurs.

Players who could turn a game on its head.

There are so many.

Malcolm McDonald .

Much as I loved Billy Three Lungs , if he had been our centre forward in the early to mid 70's playing alongside Currie , Woody etc. we would have been unstoppable .

I think the players who made early impressions on me were Eusebio and Pele. That came from the World Cups. I still think that Eusebio was possibly the greatest of all time. But I was just a young kid and I don’t really trust my memory that far back to compare. Anyhow, the game was very different then. Totally different. Players weren’t athletes like they are today. Equipment was different. Pitches were different. Rules were different.

Before I started going to games George Best was the most amazing player I’d seen. Again, I still think he was one of the greatest of all time.

When I started watching I admired players like Alan Hudson, Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh and Don Rogers. I liked them because they were Mavericks.

There were other good players around in the early 70’s that I really enjoyed watching. Ralph Coates of Burnley for example. Not in the same class as the previous but a great player on the wing with a yard of hair streaming from his head! Ian Storey-Moore of Forest (what a wonderful talent he was). Alan Hinton (white boots) and Archie Gemill, of Derby.

Malcolm McDonald of (Luton and) Newcastle. Fabulous old fashioned centre forward. Charlie George of Arsenal. Kevin Beattie of Ipswich.

In later years: Thierry Henry and Dennis Berksmp of Arsenal, Eric Cantona of Man United. Paul Gascogne of Newcastle and Spurs.

Players who could turn a game on its head.

There are so many.
Eusebio was a proper player - fast, strong & skilful. Almost on a par with Pele for me.
I remember going to see Brighton in the mid-80s. We were stood outside the ground 20 minutes before kick-off when Frank Worthington arrived. He got out of the passenger seat of a car, looking worse for wear, wearing a crumpled suit he'd probably slept in. He was the best player on the park.

Eusebio was a proper player - fast, strong & skilful. Almost on a par with Pele for me.
I remember going to see Brighton in the mid-80s. We were stood outside the ground 20 minutes before kick-off when Frank Worthington arrived. He got out of the passenger seat of a car, looking worse for wear, wearing a crumpled suit he'd probably slept in. He was the best player on the park.

:) I like that story about Frank. Yes that was him to a tee. Always looked like he’d just crawled out of bed or come straight from the nightclub (he probably had!). He had a very casual style about him, a bit like he wasn’t really trying/couldn’t be arsed, but what that lad could do with a football was magic.

I remember seeing him warming up before a game at the Lane. He was juggling the ball, doing keepy-uppies, flicks and tricks that wouldn’t have looked out place in a Cirque de Soleil show. The crowd were giving him stick even during the warm up. He obviously revelled in showing off his skills. And during the game he could do just about anything he wanted to. He was a real showman.

He was in the crowd, with the Blades fans, when we played Newcastle United in that FA Cup semi at Old Trafford in 1998. A few of us recognised him and he was appreciative of the attention. He was there supporting the Blades! Top man!

Any of you young ‘uns who never saw him play, take a look at this, it’s well worth 40 seconds of your life!

:) I like that story about Frank. Yes that was him to a tee. Always looked like he’d just crawled out of bed or come straight from the nightclub (he probably had!). He had a very casual style about him, a bit like he wasn’t really trying/couldn’t be arsed, but what that lad could do with a football was magic.

I remember seeing him warming up before a game at the Lane. He was juggling the ball, doing keepy-uppies, flicks and tricks that wouldn’t have looked out place in a Cirque de Soleil show. The crowd were giving him stick even during the warm up. He obviously revelled in showing off his skills. And during the game he could do just about anything he wanted to. He was a real showman.

He was in the crowd, with the Blades fans, when we played Newcastle United in that FA Cup semi at Old Trafford in 1998. A few of us recognised him and he was appreciative of the attention. He was there supporting the Blades! Top man!

Any of you young ‘uns who never saw him play, take a look at this, it’s well worth 40 seconds of your life!

Not only was Frank a very good footballer he also was blessed with a very large appendage. My mate was an apprentice at Huddersfield and he told me a few stories. He also said he was a very decent bloke who give the youngsters a few extra Bob for cleaning his boots

In the seventies the national manager of England didn't seem to rate any player with the maverick attitude, the type who could turn a game with a flash of brilliance.
Our own TC 17 caps??
Alan Hudson, criminally underused. Stan Bowles.
Later, Matt Le Tissier.
No wonder England have done Fuck all for 50 years.

For doing us all a favour - Forest Fairy, misses a good pelanty (sic), toys out of pram no show maestro.
For genius - Gianluigi Buffon

I’ll go for Kingsley Black.

Played for Luton Town in the 1989/90 season - scored a couple of totally non descript goals around the 5th May 1990....... kept Luton up on goal difference that season would you believe ????

Always liked him !!
Finished 94 95 with a goal for us v Grimsby town at the Lane.

I’ll go for Kingsley Black.

Played for Luton Town in the 1989/90 season - scored a couple of totally non descript goals around the 5th May 1990....... kept Luton up on goal difference that season would you believe ????

Always liked him !!

He played for us...

He was also with the Blades fans at Wembley at the 1997 playoff final - he was with Tony Currie.

Lionel Messi, the GOAT.

David Silva in the PL. He’s still world class now but his first couple of years at Man City, especially when they won their first title, he was fantastic to watch. A completely unique player at that time.

Lionel Messi, the GOAT.

David Silva in the PL. He’s still world class now but his first couple of years at Man City, especially when they won their first title, he was fantastic to watch. A completely unique player at that time.

I would still rather watch Ronaldo Fenômeno than Messi, as good as he is.

BERBA.jpg

This absolute beauty; Dimitar Berbatov

I would still rather watch Ronaldo Fenômeno than Messi, as good as he is.

I’m abit too young to remember the explosive Ronaldo at PSV, Barca and Inter, before his injury. I’ve seen loads of clips and he looked unbelievable though. A different level to anyone at that time.

I know he had to adapt his game slightly after that and his move to Real Madrid, but he was still the best forward on the planet. One of the first times I remember watching him was the hat-trick he got at Old Trafford in 03(?). Truly legendary player.

What I love about Messi is how everything is effortless for him and he makes it look so stylish. He’s consistently scored a ridiculous amount of goals year after year, to the point where it’s normal.

Not only is he the best goalscorer (remember, he scored 91 in 2012, a record that won’t be broken in a long, long time) but he’s the best dribbler and best playmaker ever too, in my opinion.

I’m abit too young to remember the explosive Ronaldo at PSV, Barca and Inter, before his injury. I’ve seen loads of clips and he looked unbelievable though. A different level to anyone at that time.

I know he had to adapt his game slightly after that and his move to Real Madrid, but he was still the best forward on the planet. One of the first times I remember watching him was the hat-trick he got at Old Trafford in 03(?). Truly legendary player.

What I love about Messi is how everything is effortless for him and he makes it look so stylish. He’s consistently scored a ridiculous amount of goals year after year, to the point where it’s normal.

Not only is he the best goalscorer (remember, he scored 91 in 2012, a record that won’t be broken in a long, long time) but he’s the best dribbler and best playmaker ever too, in my opinion.

From what I've seen, the pre-injury Ronaldo was unplayable: He had everything. That's why I personally regard him as the greatest ever.

I think you're right, Messi is a better playmaker and obviously has better stats too, though much of that is down to the side he plays for and their comparative injury records.

It comes down to your definition of greatness: If you're asking who had better longevity or impressive records then the answer is obviously Messi, the man has been a machine since day 1 and continues to this day. However, if you compare both players at their absoloute peak, I feel it's hard to look past Ronaldo.

I know he never did us a favour, but still my all time favourite. Better than C Ronaldo and Messi in my humble opinion:

29f26a6bbbaeaf1964301bcd4cdd6ec1.jpg

Hounrable mentions to Zidane, Henry & Ronaldinho.
This is the only mention of Ronaldinho in this thread, whcih needs remedying as a matter of urgency. His star didn't burn for as long as some, but fuck me it didn't half dazzle.

Back
Top Bottom