Favourite players who never played for SUFC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheedy is a great call. I think people tend to forget how good Reid was in that side as well.

Sheedy, Reid and whatsisname (Bracewell?) were a superb midfield. Reid was exceptional and should have played more games for England, and Sheedy probably had one of the most cultured left feet there's ever been. He was a joy to watch, and was as good as anyone playing at the time.

Class acts who I was lucky enough to see play... who in a parallel universe, would have played for the Blades...

Gary Lineker
Kenny Dalglish
John Barnes
Peter Beardsley
Kevin Sheedy - one of the most universally under-rated players but a lynchpin in Kendall's two championship winning sides at Everton.

Agree mate, Sheedy was superb, as good as they come in my book. But that midfield three for Everton were as good as I can recall.

Don't mind a little Benfica love - I like your taste Crabster

Me and Ms Crab (she was into them too) went when they played in a friendly at Hillsborough a couple of years ago. Although we did manage to get to Lisbon on our last trip to Portugal, sadly we never managed to get to a game. That would have been awesome but to be fair, we did plenty of other cool stuff. Never thought I'd get to see an NHL game for example but thanks to her, I did. So on balance, very lucky really.

Me and Ms Crab (she was into them too) went when they played in a friendly at Hillsborough a couple of years ago. Although we did manage to get to Lisbon on our last trip to Portugal, sadly we never managed to get to a game. That would have been awesome but to be fair, we did plenty of other cool stuff. Never thought I'd get to see an NHL game for example but thanks to her, I did. So on balance, very lucky really.

Glad you got to see them play, something I wouldn't mind doing as well.

Who did you watch in the NHL? (I've got a soft spot for the Bruins)

Glad you got to see them play, something I wouldn't mind doing as well.

Who did you watch in the NHL? (I've got a soft spot for the Bruins)

Tampa Bay Lightning, saw them in Tampa vs New York Islanders. Great experience and I hope you get to do it, it's a lot more full on an experience than a Steelers game at the arena!

Tampa Bay Lightning, saw them in Tampa vs New York Islanders. Great experience and I hope you get to do it, it's a lot more full on an experience than a Steelers game at the arena!

I think I will, I'm hoping to get over to America soon enough.

Glad it's better than the Steelers- went to one a few years back and it's nothing short of cringey when you're used to being in a football crowd

I always loved JF Hasselbaink. Possibly my favourite ever non Blades player.

His passion, aggression, one hell of a shot on him. Proper nutcase/character too.

Glad it's better than the Steelers- went to one a few years back and it's nothing short of cringey when you're used to being in a football crowd

Not too bad for me, sort of brought up with it so you get used to it.

A few years later Andy Linighan came on as sub at Bramall Lane, I think it was for Bristol City, and the United fans cheered him and chanted his name :)

I remember that, though I recall it as being QPR, not that it matters. He looked thoroughly bemused as to what was happening.

I love a midfielder who just looks and plays with such swagger that it's almost insulting. The type who looks as though they'd celebrate winning the Champions League by cracking open a lager, sticking on a vinyl and showing the soles of their feet to the world.

I give you, Messrs Rui Costa and Andrea Pirlo. The coolest pair of genius bastards ever to lace up a pair of boots.

I remember that, though I recall it as being QPR, not that it matters. He looked thoroughly bemused as to what was happening.
I remember it too, but I thought it was Ipswich... anyone?

*edit well he never played for Ipswich, so I know I'm wrong. :/

If its a fantasy signing I'd go Cruyff,but I always had a grudging respect for Alan Smith as a striker, and for some reason always had a suspicion he would have played for us at some point when he left them dirty fuckers up the M1...
Maybe it's because when we beat them in the cup in 2003,when they swapped shirts at the end,he was the only one to put his Blades shirt on and it suited him...

Kevin Beattie in Bobby Robson's Ipswich side, also a similar time John Robertson at Forest. Ipswich and Forest late 70s/early 80's, I could pick a few to be honest.

A few years later Andy Linighan came on as sub at Bramall Lane, I think it was for Bristol City, and the United fans cheered him and chanted his name :)

I remember it too, but I thought it was Ipswich... anyone?

*edit well he never played for Ipswich, so I know I'm wrong. :/

Look like you're correct it was QPR. He also played against us in the 1997 play-off final, as did David Tuttle, Neil Shipperley and Bruce Dyer.

I thought it was Palace but heh ho, it matters not.

Oh Andy Andy,
Andy Andy Andy Linighan

I also recall a player profile of Wilder in a match day programme his Rotherham days stating favourite opposition player -

Andy Linighan

He's one of our own

Duncan McKenzie

I remember Everton ripping us apart at Bramall Lane in a league cup tie.

0-3 I believe and McKenzie was unplayable that night.

To this day I wish he had played for us.

I read the question with the mindset of “could’ve signed them (not totally out of reach) never did” so:

Marlon Harewood
Bobby Zamora
Robbie Earnshaw

We went to watch Sparta Praha against some team from Warsaw. First time I'd been to watch ice hockey. The crowd was like two feisty lower league football teams.. really good atmosphere.

We had bought a round of drinks in the Old Town of Prague.. caught the underground to the ice hockey (maybe 4 or 5 stops) and the beer was so much cheaper I had to question it.. what a great day out that was.

Also went to watch the football there. Also a great experience. Always try to get to watch local sport when on holiday.

Yes, I recall. It's all about chemistry and those three had it, but I'll stick with Reid and company, as I think they had that bit more than other teams in their era.

A great shame that team weren't allowed to try to win the European Cup.

We went to watch Sparta Praha against some team from Warsaw. First time I'd been to watch ice hockey. The crowd was like two feisty lower league football teams.. really good atmosphere.

We had bought a round of drinks in the Old Town of Prague.. caught the underground to the ice hockey (maybe 4 or 5 stops) and the beer was so much cheaper I had to question it.. what a great day out that was.

Also went to watch the football there. Also a great experience. Always try to get to watch local sport when on holiday.

I saw Zurich v Basel a few years ago when I lived over there. Interesting but weird. FC Zurich stadium is an old athletics stadium, bit like Don Valley only smaller.

This is THE big derby in Switzerland. 11,000 fans turned up! All the Basel fans seemed to enter the stadium together. Then a bloke hands out what looked like hymn sheets. Then he stands in front of them and conducts them and they all sing and chant in (almost) perfect harmony for the whole game. :eek:

There was no bloke selling programmes on the crowd for “THREE QUID” or even three Swiss Francs.

I think it was a 0-0 draw in the end. Basel were the superior team. One or two players took the eye, but they gave it me back at full time. Delgado, Basel’s number 10, looked quality.

Outside the stadium after the game the police was swarming with police in riot gear. There were army vehicles on patrol with water cannons at the ready! This was SWISS AGRO as hard as it got! :D

We strolled, without incident, back to the railway station and boarded a double-decker train back to Basel.

It had been an enjoyable day out. The football was rubbish for the reasons I’ve mentioned, but fascinating too!

Anyone who played in that Burnley side against Hull in 1984 - kept them to 0-2 winning us promotion.
Was going to say any Reading player who featured in the 1-1 draw with the Dirties in 2006, but Harper played in that game and we know how that turned out! Future Blades Kilgallon, Derry, Hulse & Kitson also played in that match.

Back
Top Bottom