Fans back in Grounds in Jeopardy?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The question is if lockdowns are based on infections then it will never end.
We will be in lockdown for many years, maybe even decades.
Remember even if 100% of the population was vaccinated…the virus would still be rife when unlocking.
I thought the focus from the government was supposed to be about deaths and hospitalisations not infections.
How come when deaths reduced to almost nil….it became about infections and now the mass hysteria regards positive tests has snowballed.

One of the reasons why infections are so high is because we are testing so many people.
I heard a stat on the radio saying the UK does 10 times more testing than Germany and currently does more testing than the rest of the EU put together.

Don’t like how the government seem to be promoting division and fear. Why would they do this?
I still can‘t get over Matt Hancock announcing children might be going home to kill granny…that is psychological violence.
He’s a clever man who chooses his words carefully…so knew the implications of his words.
Our children have been mistreated causing untold damage during the past year. Hard to believe,
I highly doubt that.

In Berlin, I have personally had a test every single day for the last 3 months. As has everyone I know. You need to provide a negative test from the last 24 hours or you aren’t allowed to enter a bar, restaurant, gym, cinema, anything. It’s either that or 14 days after both jabs, and as everyone in the UK is eager to point out, our vaccination numbers are nowhere near the UK’s so everyone is still going ahead with the daily test for the most part. The system has worked really well, as it’s basically enforced a mandatory daily testing rule without actually making it mandatory, just a ‘if you want any kind of life you will get a test every day.’ How often do you test in the UK? Like, speaking to my mum and brother, my mum has had one test in 18 months for something to do with work and my brother took a test when he had symptoms. That’s it.

The system has worked really well over here, as the advice from the WHO from day one was TEST TEST TEST. Pinpoint the virus and stamp it out. That’s what China did, taking temperatures of everyone going in and out of supermarkets etc within a couple of months of the virus. They were able to pinpoint to the block of flats where the outbreaks were coming from. It’s the same here. 3 or 4 positive tests on your street? Everyone in the local area gets to the front of the queue for the vaccine.

With that in mind, and the amount of testing going on, I think Germany is on around 500 cases per day, with England on 48,000. This is the disparity here. I’m not sure people in the UK realise just how bad it is compared to everyone else.

If you recall, the June 21st reopening was put back because ‘the numbers are too worrying’, yet now the numbers are 5x what they were, the message is ‘we see nothing in the numbers to delay the July 19th reopening’. I really would like someone to explain that to me. If it’s herd immunity, fair enough. I don’t necessarily agree with it but at least he would have, for once, had the bollocks to look down the camera and tell everyone what he’s actually doing instead of just saying whatever plays well with the public as a PR stunt. If it’s herd immunity, I would ask what the fuck the point has been of locking the country down for the last 15 months. Think of all the job losses, businesses lost, people becoming homeless, all for them to turn round and just give up on it. Seems mental to me.

I really want my friends and family to be able to visit me over here, but at the same time, if it means people from Plague Island bringing the Tory variant over here, we are fucked because I guarantee you, if our numbers reach 1/4 of England’s Merkel will lock us down again, there will be no ‘freedom day’ for us.

I'm surprised the 19th is still going ahead, I think after that there will be no turning back as the govt know no one will comply if they introduce another lockdown.

I do know of 2 people that have been double jabbed that have managed to catch it (with symptoms).
Two jabs will protect you against severe illness hence as your immune system is trained to fight it - double vac's doesn't mean you wont catch it or spread it

I highly doubt that.

In Berlin, I have personally had a test every single day for the last 3 months. As has everyone I know. You need to provide a negative test from the last 24 hours or you aren’t allowed to enter a bar, restaurant, gym, cinema, anything. It’s either that or 14 days after both jabs, and as everyone in the UK is eager to point out, our vaccination numbers are nowhere near the UK’s so everyone is still going ahead with the daily test for the most part. The system has worked really well, as it’s basically enforced a mandatory daily testing rule without actually making it mandatory, just a ‘if you want any kind of life you will get a test every day.’ How often do you test in the UK? Like, speaking to my mum and brother, my mum has had one test in 18 months for something to do with work and my brother took a test when he had symptoms. That’s it.

The system has worked really well over here, as the advice from the WHO from day one was TEST TEST TEST. Pinpoint the virus and stamp it out. That’s what China did, taking temperatures of everyone going in and out of supermarkets etc within a couple of months of the virus. They were able to pinpoint to the block of flats where the outbreaks were coming from. It’s the same here. 3 or 4 positive tests on your street? Everyone in the local area gets to the front of the queue for the vaccine.

With that in mind, and the amount of testing going on, I think Germany is on around 500 cases per day, with England on 48,000. This is the disparity here. I’m not sure people in the UK realise just how bad it is compared to everyone else.

If you recall, the June 21st reopening was put back because ‘the numbers are too worrying’, yet now the numbers are 5x what they were, the message is ‘we see nothing in the numbers to delay the July 19th reopening’. I really would like someone to explain that to me. If it’s herd immunity, fair enough. I don’t necessarily agree with it but at least he would have, for once, had the bollocks to look down the camera and tell everyone what he’s actually doing instead of just saying whatever plays well with the public as a PR stunt. If it’s herd immunity, I would ask what the fuck the point has been of locking the country down for the last 15 months. Think of all the job losses, businesses lost, people becoming homeless, all for them to turn round and just give up on it. Seems mental to me.

I really want my friends and family to be able to visit me over here, but at the same time, if it means people from Plague Island bringing the Tory variant over here, we are fucked because I guarantee you, if our numbers reach 1/4 of England’s Merkel will lock us down again, there will be no ‘freedom day’ for us.
Germany is going up 50% per week it is now at just under 1000 and rising.
The 21 June was put back to allow more people to become protected against the numbers. simple really .The extra 4 weeks has allowed us to get to around 70% fully vaccinated Germany is at around 50% as of Monday this week.

We know that cases of infection will continue to rise at alarming rates over the next few weeks /months but once we are over 80% of the population vaccinated with two jabs then we will see the flatlining levelling off - autumn booster jabs will add to protection and hopefully any new mutating variant that comes along.

I do think the German testing model is good though

We've done everything we've been requested to do, vaccination roll out and up take has been exceptional when you look at the data.

Testing is ongoing, people are getting out and mixing more, so its obvious that cases will rise. Hospitalisations is now the key, despite high numbers of cases, high concentration of people in pubs, stadia for Euros, increased travel, etc, hospitalisations remains low, albeit with a slowly increasing trend. Importantly, we're not seeing the spike of earlier this year and last summer.

Deaths also remains low, again albeit with a very low rise just now.

There will come a point where testing is no longer relevant to the UK as people won't be getting hospitalised and there will be (perhaps already is) herd immunity in this country.

I can see the Trade Unions continuing to apply pressure and the Starmer continuing to take an opposite/ disruptive approach to the government despite presenting no evidence that their way is any better.

We need to start mixing again for a number of reasons, football crowds will be a real test, but can't see the point in wearing masks at games.

A winter lockdown will most probably end up with riots

I know 3 people that have been double jabbed and recently tested positive.
2 have no symptomss and 1 is slightly ill but OK. They are all quite elderly (50’s and 60’s).

There’s a contradiction in logic.
If the main statistic is infections then why are double vaxxer people or anyone with vaccine passports being allowed in large crowd events.
Being double vaxxed means you can still catch covid and pass it on, so you are still a danger to others regards spreading the virus.
If the priority is to restrict infections then surely double vaxxed people should also be forced to be tested every time they go a sports event.
Because the symptoms if you do catch it are so much less. Otherwise what are we trying to achieve?

Remember even if 100% of the population was vaccinated…the virus would still be rife when unlocking.

This is an important point. Getting vaccinated stops the virus spreading, to a degree. Getting two jabs to a greater degree.

If everyone had two jabs the virus would NOT be rife. You could still catch it if still in the community but it would eventually (statistically) die out.

That's why getting vaccinated is so important. If 25% of the population don't get vaccinated and we open everything up then the virus will spread wildly (and possibly mutate) within this group. When the virus encounters a double-jabbed person the chance of them both catching it and spreading it significantly reduces.

The more people vaccinated the more difficult it will be for it to spread.

I highly doubt that.

The key thing in the re-opening here is hospitalisations and deaths not infections and the vaccine rollout had had a huge effect on those last 2 factors.
The sage committee data that opening is based on forecasts a peak of 100,000 cases a day and 100-200 deaths per day.
Half those deaths will be people who have made the choice not to have the vaccine, hopefully it will persuade some of those people to get vaccinated.
For context the 2017/18 winter flu season saw 400 deaths per day and that probably didnt
The school holidays provide a natural dampening effect on infections as people’s contacts with others reduce drastically.
Also they say you cannot open up in Winter as Covid plus the expected bad flu season would cripple every health service in the world, so it’s now or March/April next year and I expect this is when other Northern European countries will be able to open up due to their current vaccination rates.
For me the stupid thing is not opening up as the science backs that decision, but being so ideologically hellbent on ‘personal freedoms’ that they don’t mandate masks, it’s hardly a hardship is it?
Thankfully lost major businesses and transport companies are already saying no mask - no entry.
Hope you get to see your family soon but guess it will be later.

The key thing in the re-opening here is hospitalisations and deaths not infections and the vaccine rollout had had a huge effect on those last 2 factors.
The sage committee data that opening is based on forecasts a peak of 100,000 cases a day and 100-200 deaths per day.
Half those deaths will be people who have made the choice not to have the vaccine, hopefully it will persuade some of those people to get vaccinated.
For context the 2017/18 winter flu season saw 400 deaths per day and that probably didnt
The school holidays provide a natural dampening effect on infections as people’s contacts with others reduce drastically.
Also they say you cannot open up in Winter as Covid plus the expected bad flu season would cripple every health service in the world, so it’s now or March/April next year and I expect this is when other Northern European countries will be able to open up due to their current vaccination rates.
For me the stupid thing is not opening up as the science backs that decision, but being so ideologically hellbent on ‘personal freedoms’ that they don’t mandate masks, it’s hardly a hardship is it?
Thankfully lost major businesses and transport companies are already saying no mask - no entry.
Missed a bit! Meant to say ‘probably didn’t even make the news as we’re used to living with it.

Spot on

I do think people overlook the impact of self-isolating as well though. Obviously that changes next month but for the next 4 weeks every hospital and large workplace is likely to be understaffed due to people self-isolating. The NHS capacity will be massively reduced.

Heard of loads now testing positive following the Euro semis and final, some not jabbed, some single and some double but as they say a jab doesn't stop you catching it. Quite obvious the push at the moment is for the young adults to be jabbed, hence why the media is now broadcasting scenes of twenty-somethings in Hospital wards, (although two of those interviewed this week have since been identified as Actors....lol...)....

Don't think they will back-track personally but I think it is inevitable that to get into any large scale event, sporting, music or otherwise, that it will be a legal requirement to have a Covid passport showing you have been double jabbed......no passport, no attending.
Maybe actors can catch it also ?

Maybe actors can catch it also ?

I'm sure they can....bit of a coincidence though eh, BBC go into a hospital to interview a 20-something Covid patient who turns out to be an Actor.........ITV go into another hospital to interview another 20-something Covid patient who also turns out to be an actor.......crikey, what are the chances of that?

I agree with Sheffsteel earlier about the kids. But no one size fits all response please DfE. Some kids have benefited from working at home (my daughter) as they are in disruptive classes when in school and have been able to keep up. Others are now further behind, locally we have done a great job getting Chromebooks out to kid's. The disparity between those who have worked and haven't has been stretched. Those starting their GCSEs this year will not be covering all of the curriculum in the last 2 years
Those with vulnerable family at home are kacking it whilst we have had kids sent home this week as one silly bugger but met up with loads of kids over the weekend having had symptoms since Friday and was in school Monday. Even went out waiting for the pcr test results to come through. Over 10% of kids isolating this week, with lots of other pulling kids out to protect summer holidays. I know that my kids would get more out of a summer holiday than 2 disrupted days at school.

I'm sure they can....bit of a coincidence though eh, BBC go into a hospital to interview a 20-something Covid patient who turns out to be an Actor.........ITV go into another hospital to interview another 20-something Covid patient who also turns out to be an actor.......crikey, what are the chances of that?
Maybe the were not actors ?

Apart from this has beed disproved already. The COVID patent looked a bit like an actor who has since confirmed it wasn’t him.

I highly doubt that.

It's just Boris ... his attitude is you decide ... no leadership! It is all about opening things up ... regardless.... he started with all the prestige sporting events, festivals next ... got to get the economy running again, can see this to a point but think its being done to quick ... time will tell ... if its a difficult process getting into Bramall Lane again ... I don't know what to think? ... is it worth all the bother?

Don't think we will ever go back to lockdowns as they were. Herd immunity will see to that.

Anti vaxxers and dilly dalliers (sp) I think will also change their mind if they catch a bad dose of it. They won't want it again so will fall in to line like us sheep have. Can see us hitting herd immunity by the end of the year one way or another.

Large venue events will aide herd immunity so they are part of the plan and are likely to stay.

Apart from this has beed disproved already. The COVID patent looked a bit like an actor who has since confirmed it wasn’t him.

Heard there's doubt over one evidently...............not that I'm bothered in the slightest, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the media/government weren't paying stooges in such circumstances. Don't know what/who to believe or trust any longer, it all seems made up as they go along to suit the particular rhetoric of the day!

Wheres Jeopardy?
not travelling that bloody far
Reminds mo of a mate who worked in a cab office.
Woman wanted to go to Duckmanton but no cabs available. She asked if he knew any other cab firms.
Mate said he could give her 1 at random.
She replied "Is that near Duckmanton?"

Long sensible post but hospital ICU lists say the flu killed very few and the government were manipulating the figures, read up on it. The 50,000 deaths from week 40 2017 to week 15 2018 were excess deaths not flu deaths.

But they were..... crikey, snowflake by name....snowflake by nature
No just don’t trust what I see or read in the media.
It comes from experiencing dubious claims from Governments downwards over the last several decades and my experiences as a lawyer.
If they are actors claiming to be something else then that rather confirms my mistrust of what I am being told !

I need surgery but they've no idea when it will be due to backlog caused by covid. Millions are already waiting for treatment, it's just going to get worse with more now going into hospital and those needing help from long covid. Hope non of you don't need hospital treatment any time soon. Thanks Boris you c***.

A double jab only gives you protection,not immunity.

I am going the other way regarding mask's,so from Monday the Govt says its a free for all,i'm going to get myself an FFP3 i want maximum protection now seeing as it will be ok for people stand close to me and breathe their breath on me.

FFP3 or FFP2
FFP2 and 3 are EU standards I believe. The British equivalent for the FFP2 is the N95 and for the FFP3 it is the N99.

According to this extract, the N99 (FFP3) performs slightly better at keeping droplets out.

"Respirators

Respirator masks are secured tightly around the face and have an adjustable clip around the nose so that few particles can enter. They are available in different models, including N95 (FFP2), N99 and N100. The coronavirus particle is thought to be around 125 nano meters in size. This means that respirators provide a high level of protection against COVID-19.

• FFP2 masks, also known as N95 masks, can filter 95% of particles that range in size from 100nm to 300nm
  • FFP3 masks,also known as N99 masks can filter up to 99% of similar particles
  • N100 respirators have the ability to filter up to 99.7% if such particles
Respirator masks are able to provide a higher level of protection against viruses. They are usually marked with an approval rating (N95, KN95, FFP2 etc.). Respirators can also come valved or unvalved. A valve helps to release air on the exhale, which can reduce sweat build up and reduce stuffiness. Unvalved masks are lighter and less bulky, making them easier to transport."

Boris really can't win, damned if he opens up damned if he doesn't. The clowns on the opposition benches bitch and moan but don't come up with any solutions.
I think we are going to have to learn to live with Covid and get your vaccine once a year much like the vulnerable do with the flu jab.

Boris really can't win, damned if he opens up damned if he doesn't. The clowns on the opposition benches bitch and moan but don't come up with any solutions.
I think we are going to have to learn to live with Covid and get your vaccine once a year much like the vulnerable do with the flu jab.

I think the actual solution would have been to have proper lockdowns and not half arse it and open up just because people start moaning or its Christmas, but the time for that has passed.

Oh and close the borders, not leave them open because you're going on a trade mission.

Now the only options are sacrifice the weak, or have a far slower transition out of lockdown than we're having.

I need surgery but they've no idea when it will be due to backlog caused by covid. Millions are already waiting for treatment, it's just going to get worse with more now going into hospital and those needing help from long covid. Hope non of you don't need hospital treatment any time soon. Thanks Boris you c***.

I needed a scan and an exploratory examination all done inside 3 weeks.
My mum needs a knee replacement she saw the specialist 4 weeks ago having Pre Op assessment next week.
Maybe not has bleak as you are making out.

Back
Top Bottom