FA Cup

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fringe/returning injured players should be starting.

Brewster has to start, probably with Osula (he needs a goal - both do)
RND should start too and Slimane.
Frankie Maguire was recalled from Chester yesterday and didn't feature in the FA Cup - give him a chance against L2 oppo and see.

I'd let Adam Davies play in goal.

We should be able to rest a few, but remain strong enough to easily see out a team 3 divisions below.

View attachment 177053
I’d usually agree with this line of reasoning but on this occasion I disagree, we don’t have a game for ages and Wilder needs the players he wants to be here to get as many minutes together as possible playing together to gain fitness themselves. It’s ok doing it in training but it’s on the pitch where it counts, get as fuller strength team out as possible and just go for it.

Think it will be much weaker side.

Good opportunity for those on their way back from injury and younger players in and around the squad..

Also allows an extended break for the regulars and still have them back for a week or so training prior to the next PL game

Apologies for being a Ludite, but how do you get on any of these channels?
You need an Amazon Firestick with Iptv installed. There's also a service on Securely Live that streams all Blades games. On matchday there will be links on websites (where you need to close lots of ads before watching). All technically illegal.

Best thing to do is to get someone to set it up for you.

Frankie Maguire was recalled from Chester yesterday and didn't feature in the FA Cup - give him a chance against L2 oppo and see.

We should be able to rest a few, but remain strong enough to easily see out a team 3 divisions below.

View attachment 177053

Brooks definitely needs a rest, he's been running on empty last few games.

Slimane is at the AFCON.

Agree with the keeper and back 4, Norwood, Osborn and Hamer in midfield, Brewster, Osula and Ryan One as a front 3

Gotta go for it I reckon. We got to the semi last year and it built confidence for the end of season run in. Granted this year we are down already, but having a good cup run might just salvage some pride.

View attachment 177053
Yeah I’d go for something like this. Maybe Davies for Maguire, or Brooks (might need a rest?).

I wouldn’t be bothering with Fleck as others have suggested. No point at all.

View attachment 177053
Interesting about Maguire. Recalled because CW rates him or because he wasn’t getting games? It was a season-long loan.

Would love us to reach a final! We’ve of course had many semi finals to attend. We’d need a lot of luck though to avoid one of the big guns in the semi final.

Yes, I would normally agree with playing fringe players against Gillingham…If we we’re playing well in the the league of course. Sadly that isn’t the case, so I would play the so called first team and tell them to take the handbrake off and play without fear. Any sort of practice with the ball at their feet can only be good.

I’d usually agree with this line of reasoning but on this occasion I disagree, we don’t have a game for ages and Wilder needs the players he wants to be here to get as many minutes together as possible playing together to gain fitness themselves. It’s ok doing it in training but it’s on the pitch where it counts, get as fuller strength team out as possible and just go for it.
I agree entirely, it might be a refreshing change for the “first team” to have a bit of the ball.

Wes / Davies

Bogle Anel Trusty Robinson RND

Hamer Souza McAtee

BBD Archer

I’m surprised it wasn’t picked for Tv coverage this game, a prem team against a league 2 or a conference side away usually always gets picked. This is another sure sign that those in charge of the game aren’t interested in anything other than the money.
N.B. It's on Premier Sports 2, an Irish channel. Will be streams therefore.

Only round i’d be tempted to make changes in, give most of the first team an extended break which might be useful for the second half of the season. Osula, RND, Brewster & Seriki are players I’d like to see start.

Davies
Baldock (if fit) Anel, Robbo, RND
Hamer, Norwood,Fleck, Osborn
McBurnie, Brewster

I am not too keen on Wes you can't trust him. Davis is not great either. Chris needs to bring in a GK on loan fast. priority if you ask me.

I am not too keen on Wes you can't trust him. Davis is not great either. Chris needs to bring in a GK on loan fast. priority if you ask me.
Yeah looks like we're going to bring in Kasper the Friendly Ghost.

Whilst the cup run provided 100% of the exciting games last season, anyone fancying a Semi Final v City/Liv/Arsenal?
Us and Brighton reached semis last season, so you're not necessarily up against an unbeatable side

Us and Brighton reached semis last season, so you're not necessarily up against an unbeatable side

Our Cup semi-final draws in my lifetime and the finishing positions of the teams:

1993 Blades (14th PL) v Pigs (7th PL), Arsenal (10th PL) v Spurs (8th PL)

1998 Blades (6th Division 1) v Newcastle (13th PL), Arsenal (1st PL) v Wolves (9th Division 1)

2003 Arsenal (2nd PL) v Blades (3rd Division 1), Southampton (8th PL) v Watford (13th Championship)

2014 Hull (16th PL) v Blades (7th League One), Arsenal (4th PL) v Wigan (5th Championship)

2023 Man City (1st PL) v Blades (2nd Championship), Man Utd (3rd PL) v Brighton (6th PL)

In terms of league position we got the hardest draw 3 times and the middling draw twice. We've never drawn the lowest placed side of the other 3. 2003 was the year we really got hosed. I would have fancied us to beat Watford or Southampton.

Of course it doesn't help that in 4 of the last 5 semis we have reached, we haven't been in the PL. The same goes for the 2 before that, though in 1936 we managed to draw another division 2 team and beat them.

Throw in the league Cup semis we lost to Liverpool over 2 legs

The draws in both league cup semis:

2003 Blades (3rd, Division 1) v Liverpool (5th, PL), Man Utd (1st, PL) v Blackburn (6th, PL)

2015 Blades (5th, League 1) v Spurs (5th, PL), Chelsea (1st, PL) v Liverpool (6th, PL)

Each time the other 3 semi finalists finished 1st, 5th and 6th in the PL, and we drew the 5th Placed side. Not sure drawing the 6th placed team would have made a lot of difference. Maybe in 2003 it might.

The only cup in last 30 odd years I've seen us win is the
Yorkshire members cup .

Back
Top Bottom