European Super League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you be in favour of a European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 199 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 55 21.7%

• Total voters
ive been wondering the last week, dont get me wrong european super league was terrible idea if your a fan of that club. but if your not, did we make a mistake in protesting it & would it have been a blessing to let the glory hunters go, the ones who are only interested in watching it in on tv & couldnt give a toss about the fans in liverpool as long as someone in Chicago is happy.

so let Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, & you could even involve Newcastle in this with saudi takeover, its better for them to ruin european super league that nobody care about, than 150yrs of british football, then if foreign owners want a closed shop they can have it, if they want every match televised at stupid times for TV & make Saturday 3pm obsolete, they can have it, as far from the football league as they possible , because at the moment these big club wont stop until theyve ruined english football, because just for example Pep Guardiola doesnt care about League cup or the FA Cup, there some weeks i wonder if he cares about the premier league, the big clubs cares about 1 thing the Champions league

there already talk about teams with option to teams in european competition to pull out of the league cup, & what happens when they want FA cup to go midweek, instead of the on the saturday. & would football really that bad we could replace them 7 teams so easily. id take this as a top league. quality teams, games on saturday

Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Palace, Forest,
Fulham, Brentford, Wolves, Everton, Wolves,
Cardiff, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Southampton,
Leicester, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Norwich, West Brom,
What's up about Wolves having a B team in there as well?

All this talk about "there's no reason for the English clubs to join" is delusional.

They were all set to enroll when Perez mooted it. They turned tail when it was leaked and they got the backlash. Cowards the lot of them. Happy when they're bullying the likes of us and smaller clubs further down the league, but unable to have the courage of their own convictions.

Domestic competition, as far as league titles is concerned, is screwed up everywhere; in England as well because a three-way battle for the league is a rare event indeed.

There is no competition in the EPL. Brighton, Brentford and Leicester may get their few days in the sun - and someone else will in due course - but everything reverts to the elite, moneyed clubs as it does everywhere else.

Maybe the majority of their match-going fans really do want to keep this format and watch on as they toy with their cannon-fodder opponents for 12 out of 19 home games, but the actual money is coming from far-away places. These clubs won't be able to ignore the demands of their far flung fans forever.

They've steamrollered meaningful competition, hopefully their insatiable greed will destroy them all in the end.

There was a time when this being approved would have signalled the end of my interest in football. Not now. For the reasons others have described above, the gulf between the haves and have nots has widened too far, meaning there is little to no chance of anyone outside of the financial elite lifting a trophy, in any of the major European leagues.

Granted, the residual domestic leagues would initially feel devalued, but there's no reason why it couldn't be ultra competitive.

A couple of things that could potentially spoil the party:

1) Success of the European Super League could lead to campaigning for a ESL2.
2) Most other European leagues include B teams in the lower divisions. We have resisted (thankfully, as it really would signal the end of my interest). How many of those countries, upon commencement of ESL, would allow them to participate in their residual, domestic top flight? If they did, would we do the same? Probably, particularly if they played home games at the A teams' 'super stadia'.

There was a time when this being approved would have signalled the end of my interest in football. Not now. For the reasons others have described above, the gulf between the haves and have nots has widened too far, meaning there is little to no chance of anyone outside of the financial elite lifting a trophy, in any of the major European leagues.

Granted, the residual domestic leagues would initially feel devalued, but there's no reason why it couldn't be ultra competitive.

A couple of things that could potentially spoil the party:

1) Success of the European Super League could lead to campaigning for a ESL2.
2) Most other European leagues include B teams in the lower divisions. We have resisted (thankfully, as it really would signal the end of my interest). How many of those countries, upon commencement of ESL, would allow them to participate in their residual, domestic top flight? If they did, would we do the same? Probably, particularly if they played home games at the A teams' 'super stadia'.
If the elite did break away wouldn't the richest of the remainder just become the new elite and so on.

If the elite did break away wouldn't the richest of the remainder just become the new elite and so on.
Not necessarily. The current structure gives 4-6 domestic teams a huge competitive advantage, due to the UEFA prize money.

Yes, the cream would rise to the top, to some degree, post ESL, but, ideally, on a scale similar to that in the 1960s/70s, when a large number of clubs took a share of the domestic trophy spoils or came close to doing so.

So much hypocrisy.

The EFL is not competitive. Look how TV money is distributed.
Almost all of it goes to the Championship clubs where as league 1 and league 2 feed off the scraps.

He says the gap between the PL and championship is massive but what about the gap between league 1 and the Championship?

Also why would the PL remove parachute payments.
Without parachute payments, the gap would become even bigger.
The promoted clubs would be seen as cannon fodder and would be forced to offer performance related contracts
with massive decreased wage relegation clauses, so it would be a real struggle for promoted clubs to attract anyone decent.
The PL would become a closed shop with scores like 9-0 and 10-0 happening.

Also he mentions competition and quotes Leeds, Leicester and Southampton being at the top. However this is a blip.
He failed to mention that last season all the promoted teams stayed up and normally relegated teams don't instantly gain promotion.

Everyone has self interest, Ridsdale is no different and also when you talk about "what's good for football", it's not so simple.
If you want to take it back to basics, Sheffield FC had the right idea in the mid 1880's.
It's professionalism that has ruined football, it's never been the same since and has been riddled with unfairness for over 100 years.
Was at Buxton before Xmas and there was a big premier league plaque up. Owner said that they get a decent wedge from the PL to support them. Didn’t say how much, but he wasn’t grumbling

I've been meaning to scribble my thoughts on this down in some form or another for a while. Mostly to make absolutely sure that I believe what I say.

I absolutely support a European Super League.

I've been meaning to scribble my thoughts on this down in some form or another for a while. Mostly to make absolutely sure that I believe what I say.

I absolutely support a European Super League.

Completely agree.

Back
Top Bottom