European Super League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you be in favour of a European Super League?

• Yes

Votes: 199 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 55 21.7%

• Total voters

We can get rid of the current problem in one of two ways - either banish the current big spenders to a super league ( and create the space for the next generation of big spenders to fill, and thus perpetuate the problem), or change the rules regarding FFP. I strongly prefer the latter - I want to see us playing the Liverpool’s and the Man Utd’s, but on a more competitive and fairer playing field.

It'll never happen because nobody would want to play in it.

Imo I think its entirely dependent on how big this saudi league gets. If it starts to threaten the status of the champions league or something similar then I can see uefa wanting to create something to rival it. Who knows what that would mean for the domestic game.

Imo I think its entirely dependent on how big this saudi league gets. If it starts to threaten the status of the champions league or something similar then I can see uefa wanting to create something to rival it. Who knows what that would mean for the domestic game.

People keep throwing around the term 'European Super League' without ever explaining how it would work.

It's a complete non starter in my opinion for so many reasons.

It's the fans of clubs like ours who keep advocating for it as if it would somehow benefit us, it wouldn't.

If I’m honest I’m doubting everything football since last season tbh. It’s not just the fact we’ve lost today but what is the end goal or target we can expect for our club? Personally I love the championship over the prem but any club can’t survive financially in that league for a sustained period of time, so you get promoted and then you watch your side get dry fucked each weekend. It’s made me think “what’s the point in watching it anymore?” The ESL would just make financial matters worse for us imo, less views watching sky, less league money, it’d just be the championship

Does everyone realise the super league was to replace the champions league, not the prem?

ive been wondering the last week, dont get me wrong european super league was terrible idea if your a fan of that club. but if your not, did we make a mistake in protesting it & would it have been a blessing to let the glory hunters go, the ones who are only interested in watching it in on tv & couldnt give a toss about the fans in liverpool as long as someone in Chicago is happy.

so let Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, & you could even involve Newcastle in this with saudi takeover, its better for them to ruin european super league that nobody care about, than 150yrs of british football, then if foreign owners want a closed shop they can have it, if they want every match televised at stupid times for TV & make Saturday 3pm obsolete, they can have it, as far from the football league as they possible , because at the moment these big club wont stop until theyve ruined english football, because just for example Pep Guardiola doesnt care about League cup or the FA Cup, there some weeks i wonder if he cares about the premier league, the big clubs cares about 1 thing the Champions league

there already talk about teams with option to teams in european competition to pull out of the league cup, & what happens when they want FA cup to go midweek, instead of the on the saturday. & would football really that bad we could replace them 7 teams so easily. id take this as a top league. quality teams, games on saturday

Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Palace, Forest,
Fulham, Brentford, Wolves, Everton, Wolves,
Cardiff, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Leeds, Southampton,
Leicester, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Norwich, West Brom,

People keep throwing around the term 'European Super League' without ever explaining how it would work.

It's a complete non starter in my opinion for so many reasons.
think the NFL is the best way to explain how they were going to do it. 18 teams & play offs at the end

I wasn't. But as we're now in the PL, yeah. Let em go. We can't compete in this division. Clearly its a vanity project for a lot of em who can afford to piss away cash.

I heard last week that in mam city training you have that piggy in the middle game. They pass around, you chase. Anyway, if you don't get it within the time slot, you lose a grand. Win the ball in that time slot - win a grand.

What is obvious is the gap between PL and EFL is to big now. Honestly believe our team in the Championship would be demolishing sides

Has this just happened in the last 12 months because last year every single promoted side stayed up
and 2 of the 3 side coming, not only failed to return to the PL but also failed to even reach the payoffs.

Regards the European Super League doubt we'd be invited so doesn't effect us
and none of the English teams would give up the PL as it's the most successful, most watched league in the world.
Also none of the fans of the big 6 or 7 have any desire to leave the PL.
It's mainly the likes of Real Madrid, Barca, Milan, Juventus etc who want the super league because they realise the Spanish and Italian leagues cant compete
on a world stage compared to the English Premier League and the gap could become bigger.

Any new super league would run in conjunction with the Premier League with the top clubs probably pulling out of the cup competitions.
In reality people are probable voting to take the top 6 out of the FA cup, we would stand a better chance of winning the FA cup.

Last edited:
Honestly with the influx of cash into the Saudi league I can see them buying into it along with all the top European clubs. Won’t be long until PSG vs Al Nassr becomes a regular fixture.

Not so sure about that. The league has no competiveness and no historical clubs.
The government find 4 clubs, so the other clubs have no chance.

The current average attendance in the Saudi league is 8,105.
Since the money has been pumped attendances have increased with the best supported club being Al-Hilal with 25,850 average, that's less than us and less than many clubs in the Championship, Al-Nassr gates have doubled and they currently average 20,740.
However there are currently only FOUR clubs (the 4 funded by the government), that currently average over 10,000.
There's one club in the Saudi top flight that currently averages 846 and quite a few averaging 1000 to 2000.
Over half the clubs in the Saudi top flight have smaller fanbases than Chesterfield.

As a league it's no where the size and prestige of the English league 1.
It's a bit like Fleetwood Town buying Ronaldo and Firminho playing Grimsby Town who have just bought M'Bappe.
The top club in Saudi are Al Hilal and they averaged just over 9K last season, that's less than Wrexham who played in the non league.

Doubt there's going to be much of a TV audience when the world stars disappear, there's only Ronaldo and possibly Neymar who attract massive interest
but even they will struggle to create aTV spectacle when matches are played in front of 5,000 in an athletics stadium with no atmosphere.

Also UEFA currently have FFP rules, they keep threatening PSG and Man City, these clubs have massive turnovers.
Where as Al Nassr are a really small club so how will they satisfy UEFA that they are not effective cheating when offering ordinary players £500K a week.
Money talks so there'll try and find a way but there's no infrastructure or tradition, so don't think there'll be real (significant) lasting interest in that league.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the proposal was that the ‘Super League’ would run alongside domestic leagues so the big 6 would still be in the premier league if they joined.

You are correct but I think that might have been more to do with trying to appease the fans than anything else. Uefa and fifa love to piss around with the game and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the eventual plan was to have the major clubs leave their domestic leagues.

They knew there would be uproar last time so have tried to preserve the domestic game somewhat. If it comes round again and there’s enough people telling them to do one and not come back, don’t be surprised if it becomes a full on closed shop.

As some have pointed out the ESL was a proposal to replace the champions league and not domestic leagues.. in effect this will happen in 24/25 with the new ECL format of 36 clubs in a single league.. it's a complicated format but the information is online .

In order to head off the ESL ,they've pretty much done it themselves .

In answer to the question, it doesn't matter if your in favour or not ,it's on its way .

The teams in there will make more money than ever , have more expensive bigger squads and still compete in their domestic leagues widening the gap further.

They might as well form a World Super League, played over 12 months with huge squads of players, massive TV syndication, reality TV shows, private jets in the team colours. Tailgate parties outside English stadia. WSL clothing brands….. the list goes on. It could be a mega version of It’s a Knockout. Quadruple FIFAs income overnight.

I think the way forwards has to be a variation on the NFL salary cap with each club being allocated a salary budget. There are dozens of ways the level of the cap could be decided, but the aim would simply be to stop clubs funded by the wealth of whole countries taking over leagues and destroying their competitiveness.

No. What is the point in pretending to be the best team in the country when you know there's six other teams that are de facto better than you?

Personally I love the championship over the prem but any club can’t survive financially in that league for a sustained period of time, so you get promoted and then you watch your side get dry fucked each weekend. It’s made me think “what’s the point in watching it anymore?” The ESL would just make financial matters worse for us imo, less views watching sky, less league money, it’d just be the championship
When I check scores, I am far more interested in what is happening in the Championship, even this season when we are in the Prem. I find myself more actively following what Ipswich and Leicester and even Swansea are doing than checking whether Man City or Everton won or lost. Maybe it would be different if we were actually picking up a point or two along the way.

No. What is the point in pretending to be the best team in the country when you know there's six other teams that are de facto better than you?
Hasn't it always been that way?

'We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen'

Hasn't it always been that way?

'We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen'

There's a subtle difference between an ironic chant and, say, Brighton, pretending to be champions of England on account of not playing the better clubs

Back
Top Bottom