Europa League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you took key players out of any side they’d struggle. Look at Man United before they signed Fernandes, they weren’t exactly great. Signed one player and he’s totally transformed them - now if he was to get injured what happens?

Then they struggle ,but they have a squad worth 661 million pounds so that only emphasises my pont if they struggle then so will we surely

Also if we qualify for the Europa then we improve the depth. Which we should be anyway in the summer.

How ? The money for Europa league qualification is pitiful and goof job settling in new signings into our unique system and way of playing

Wolves squad isn’t deep at all, and despite a sluggish start in the League they’re not doing bad now are they - and they’re in the quarter finals of the Europa to boot.

Fair point they have coped with it really well but there style of play and intensity levels aren't anywhere near ours

I'd like to dismiss this evidence on the grounds that the article has been selective with the data it has used. It uses the statistics from only 2 of 3 clubs (most not all seasons) from the EPL which were entered in the Europa League. Significantly it omits Burnley (a club very similar) to our own from the 18-19 season where they had qualified for Europa League by finishing 7th and the following season during which they played in Europe they finished 15th.

More data, finds roughly the same thing.

Even more. Same thing.

This one suggest it's about 50/50 to do better/the same or worse domestically after qualifying for Europa, but the decrease in placement varies and is usually only a few places. It also wasn't able to conclude that Europa was the reason for the domestic places given that league positions fluctuate naturally over seasons.

So we can squabble about individual data points and whatnot but I really can't find any data saying that Europa League football is a death sentence. At the very least it's silly to suggest it would relegate us.

I would say we should look at the Premier League teams who play Europa League in isolation, as the other leagues don't have the geography (for want of a better word) that the EPL has. And then as previously noted there will be a significant difference between the teams with bigger squads (Big 6) and the rest of us. It looks like a study that includes these factors has not been carried out so I may have a crack at it myself (don't hold your breathe though). Having said all this I dearly want United to qualify for Europe and to get past at least 2 teams - yeah It does bother me when those dingbats from the other side talk about it.

I would say we should look at the Premier League teams who play Europa League in isolation, as the other leagues don't have the geography (for want of a better word) that the EPL has. And then as previously noted there will be a significant difference between the teams with bigger squads (Big 6) and the rest of us. It looks like a study that includes these factors has not been carried out so I may have a crack at it myself (don't hold your breathe though). Having said all this I dearly want United to qualify for Europe and to get past at least 2 teams - yeah It does bother me when those dingbats from the other side talk about it.

The only factor missing that I can't find is a rough idea of what the natural fluctuation of league position is i.e. if a team finishes just outside Europe how likely are they to finish several places lower the next, because I suspect it's reasonably high.

The issue at looking at teams in isolation is that it'll end up being cherry picked and won't tell you about overall trends. Looking at a team like Burnley that was out of the Europa by the end of August and then blaming their whole season on that seems weird.

The point stands that there's actual analysis of a wide range of teams and overall it doesn't look like Europa League has much impact. There's not the same kind of data to the opposite conclusion, there's just a few cherry picked sides that did worse after qualifying.

We don't currently have the squad to handle it 🤷‍♂️
There's plenty of players in our current squad who have played nowhere near enough matches than they would have liked.

Verrips, Moore, Freeman, Osborn, Jagielka, Rodwell, Panos, Freeman, Clarke, Zivkovic etc.

If we just replace those that move on, there will be plenty itching for a game. We may just have to rotate a little. We wouldn't be playing Inter Milan first game. We'd be playing some no hopers from Luxembourg who are about League 2 level at best. Even in the group stages you've as much chance of playing a club of Championship quality as Premiership. I mean how strong is the Swiss league for example, the Belgium League, Polish League, Romanian League etc?

There's plenty of players in our current squad who have played nowhere near enough matches than they would have liked.

Verrips, Moore, Freeman, Osborn, Jagielka, Rodwell, Panos, Freeman, Clarke, Zivkovic etc.

If we just replace those that move on, there will be plenty itching for a game. We may just have to rotate a little. We wouldn't be playing Inter Milan first game. We'd be playing some no hopers from Luxembourg who are about League 2 level at best. Even in the group stages you've as much chance of playing a club of Championship quality as Premiership. I mean how strong is the Swiss league for example, the Belgium League, Polish League, Romanian League etc?
Wow. Sounds like exciting times 🙄

As a club we have to grab the chance when it comes, how many times have we not grabbed the chance in the play-offs then lived to regret it and it's taken us years to have another pop at promotion. Ditto with FA cup and LC semi finals. Surely that's how fans/clubs/teams have to rumble or it's not even worth it.

Personally I think as a club sufc have seriously punched below their weight, certainly in my lifetime. Where we are now, that's what I expect from sufc on a regular basis.

Let's win our last 5 and let's get in Europe. I went to Piacenza in the anglo-italian all those years ago, I wouldn't mind seeing us in the proper stuff next season, coronavirus permitting.

It's fairly simple, Wigan fans wouldn't trade their last decade with Bournemouth's

Burnley was even worse: out at the third qualifying round 4-2 on aggregate to Olympiacos in August, they were third bottom at the end of December. Only a relatively decent run in the final 18 games (7 wins, 4 draws, 7 defeats) kept them up.

Hang on, they were out by August yet it caused them to play like shit for the next 9 months?

But what if, say, Wolves win it and they also finish 8th?
Man City are banned (assuming it’s upheld).

So in that case Champions League places go to:
(not 2 as Man City are banned)

Europa League goes to
8.Wolves
(Assuming FA Cup was won by a top 5 team).

But Wolves would go into Champions League, so who gets the 3rd Europa League slot going in at the qualifying rounds stage? Does it go to whoever finishes 9th?

Hadn’t thought of that. Presumably yes!

Europa waste of time.
Same reason I turned down an orgy with Little Mix at their Mediterranean villa. Thought I might get a sore willy and be tired in the morning.
So, I just stayed home and had a Horlicks and an early night so I'd be fresh for work in the morning.
😟

Europa League goes to
8.Wolves

But Wolves would go into Champions League, so who gets the 3rd Europa League slot going in at the qualifying rounds stage? Does it go to whoever finishes 9th?

There was another thread on this. Someone said Wolves get Champs League and we only send two to Europa League.

I just want us to keep playing nice fluid football and show commitment and passion. That's all I ask. Europa League/Champions League would just be a nice bonus.

Even if we lose a game or two. I wouldn't be bothered as long as they put up a fight till the final whistle. The Villa, Man U and Newcastle games for instance, we shown no willing to contest loose balls etc. and that was disappointing. But I realise footballers aren't robots, no matter how much you pay them. So these poor performances are to be expected every now and then, from every team.

Europa League goes to
8.Wolves

I’M ignoring MAN CITY being banned just to make it a bit simpler, if they are banned - add one place to the league.

Regardless of anything the maximum number (whatever the permutations) is 7.

So finishing 8th and not winning any cups, you will not qualify.
In normal circumstances, it’s 4 UCL and 3 EL. That’s it!

Now you can also you can get a UCL spot for winning either the UCL or EL. That’s two spots. Even if both teams are English, you can have only a maximum of FIVE in the UCL - so if both are outside the top four it will then become 1st-3rd + UCL winner + EL winner.

So for that season, the 4th / 5th placed teams are in the EL. That’s a total of 7 teams (5 in UCL and 2 in EL) one EL is lost. Instead of 4 + 3, it’s 5 + 2.

Left in the UCL - Man City and Chelsea. Both currently in the top 4 - no effect.

Left in the EL - Man Utd and Wolves. Both outside the Top 4 if one of these win as it stands, there will be only 2 EL spots left. But that will still allow, up to 7th in the League to qualify.

LC - Already won by Man City, they will finish in a UCL spot anyway so disregard.

FA Cup - To me as it stands, this has the most potential to knock off a league space and reduce the spots from 1st-6th. Arsenal will get a UCL spot if they WIN the FA Cup regardless of where they finish in the league, and they are currently 8th. Chelsea, Man Utd are in the top 5 anyway, and Man City are 2nd and have already won a cup. So it might be nice if Man City won the FA Cup - they would the hoover up 3 UCL spots for one team.

That also means we can cheer on any English Team in either European Cup, without taking a spot off us (unless any of them drop below 7th).

This has ignored MAN CITY possibly getting banned, shifting the places one down the ladder.

So one possible end of season heartbreak could be Man City losing their appeal, we overtake Arsenal on the last day of the season finish 8th, but 9th place Arsenal win the FA Cup to steal our European place!

Obviously, if Wolves, Man Utd or Chelsea drop out of the top 7 and win one of the European Cups that would also effect us, but there’s less chance of Chelsea and Man Utd finishing 8th, or Wolves winning the EL than there is of Arsenal winning the FA Cup and finishing below us in the league.

Last edited:
That's correct. Not interested for next season, I would rather see steady development & hope to get there in 2-3 years time.

That's correct. Not interested for next season, I would rather see steady development & hope to get there in 2-3 years time.

But given our budget and ability to attract players, those 2-3 season might well be very difficult irrespective of European qualification. Not to be too pessimistic but repeating this season's accomplishments isn't a given. Finishing higher up, taking the accolades that come with it, might well be our best chance of developing the side.

Considering the already shortened summer, presumedly reduced budgets that will affect everyone's recruitment and likelihood of no fans until at least mid-late Autumn I don't think there's a worse year for a side in the PL with a smaller squad to qualify for the Europa League unfortunately.

The qualifiers for both European competitions normally start any time now, but with this season's European competition not even finishing until mid August we're probably looking at the start of September before they can even think about starting next season's qualifiers. That would give us possibly 4/5 weeks to prepare assuming we give the boys a couple of weeks off, then no doubt they'll have to cram the qualifiers in faster than usual to get the group stage up and running.

It's also worth noting that the season after next is the one with the Winter break for the World Cup in Qatar, so if anything they'll want to finish the 20/21 season as early as possible to start 21/22 early to get the 8 week break mid-season they're going to need for the ridiculous World Cup.

Yet somehow despite all the logic pointing to multiple benefits in not qualifying for the EL this time around, there's still something wonderful about imagining us flying out to Kazakhstan to take on Astana in early September and being able to say I'd seen the Blades play in Europe (even if it would be on the TV).

Might be more chance of attending a game in Europe, wherever they let fans in, than a home game when next season comes around !!

Huge step towards Europe tonight.

Given how Man United have been performing since Fernandes and Pobga have been together 5th seems a bridge too far.....Especially if they win at Villa.

Wolves still have to play Chelsea, Arsenal still to play Spurs.....Huge opportunity.

When is the last time a newly promoted team qualified for a European competition in the PL? (just curious, but wanna say Newcastle?)

I can see both sides of the argument here - but this is an opportunity we may never get again. Even if we don't qualify it should be everyone's aim to play at the highest level.
I understand we have a small squad but some of the lads that have stepped in have impressed, so maybe we only need a couple more players.

If we did qualify, it might be short lived anyway so wouldn't impact the full PL season. It's better to have played and lost than never played at all.

8th position is Europa place? If so we are surely nailed on.

When is the last time a newly promoted team qualified for a European competition in the PL? (just curious, but wanna say Newcastle?)

I can see both sides of the argument here - but this is an opportunity we may never get again. Even if we don't qualify it should be everyone's aim to play at the highest level.
I understand we have a small squad but some of the lads that have stepped in have impressed, so maybe we only need a couple more players.

If we did qualify, it might be short lived anyway so wouldn't impact the full PL season. It's better to have played and lost than never played at all.
Wolves last year. UTB

Do you think he will stay if we get relagated ?

This is why we get so much ridiculous hostility when the team loses a few ,some of you have totally unrealistic expectations and no grasp of reality
Our success this season has been based on fitness and hunger .the tactics rely on us outworking the opposition as we can't match their quality or physicality ,we have to.stop them playing and then still have the fitness to be able to play our football .
When we lose key players or are not quite hundred per cent we are not the same side

We have edged quite a few games this season and won points in key times in games that could have gone the other way

Yes finishing in Europe would be a great achievement for the players and staff but really its a tournament I think they should just scrap ,its only there as a fallback for the big clubs who aren't good enough to get in the champions league
The first time your girlfriend parted her thighs did you say no because you might not be any good and just slunk off home because a wank was safer?

Back
Top Bottom