Europa League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is it possible that 9th could even get a Europa League place if ManU or Wolves win the Europa League this season and also finish outside top 5?

"Should the winners of the Champions League and Europa League both come from England - as they did last season - are not Manchester City and both finish outside the top four (or five if City are banned), the team finishing in the lowest-ranked Champions League qualifying place would drop into the Europa League, with the winning of a European competition taking precedence over a league finish.

Were, for example, Wolves to win the Europa League and Chelsea the Champions League - with neither finishing inside the top four or five, the side finishing fourth or fifth (depending on City's appeal) would miss out on playing in the elite club competition next season."

As a fan surely it's all about wanting your club being as successful as possible when the chance arises, or what's the point???

Getting into Europe is seen as a mark of achievement, it would also enhance the stature of the club, so if it happens let's grab it with both hands. I'm sure that will be the thought process of our manager and Blades fan, Chris Wilder. It will also p*** off pig fans into the bargain which is always a bonus :) UTB

I'm another who's dream has always been for us to qualify for European competition. Even if we have to go through the qualifying rounds in pre-season, surely a few competitive games is better for the players than friendlies. We currently have a Premier League squad of 25, add a few youngsters just outside that and barring injuries, we could still virtually put out a 2nd XI. Obviously the League is the priority, so as I see it, we could use the European games to give the rest of the squad game time. I'm sure Wilder would put a few first teamers in, but even so, I don't see the problem.

"Should the winners of the Champions League and Europa League both come from England - as they did last season - are not Manchester City and both finish outside the top four (or five if City are banned), the team finishing in the lowest-ranked Champions League qualifying place would drop into the Europa League, with the winning of a European competition taking precedence over a league finish.

Were, for example, Wolves to win the Europa League and Chelsea the Champions League - with neither finishing inside the top four or five, the side finishing fourth or fifth (depending on City's appeal) would miss out on playing in the elite club competition next season."
I’d seen that, but that’s a scenario where Non-top-4 premier league teams won BOTH European competitions, and you can’t have 6 English clubs in the Champions League. I was thinking about if a non-top-4 club won just one: The Europa League.
Can there be 5 English clubs in the champions league and 3 in the Europa league (8 in total in European competitions)?
If so, then if both domestic cups are won by top-4-teams, and Man City are banned, and one of the champions league spots went to a team who finished 6th, 7th or 8th but had won the Europa League, it seems like the last Europa League spot would go to whoever finishes 9th.

I can’t find any reference to it being a possibility anywhere on the web though, which makes me think I’m missing something and it’s not technically possible.

Don’t think so. You get a champions league place for winning it, so they’d be in that.

If they also finished in the top 4, only 4 clubs get champions league. If they finish outside it, they and the top 4 do (5 places in total).

The Europa League isn’t affected by who wins it because the winners don’t play in it.

It’s 8th in the league this year, as long as City lose their appeal and Arsenal don’t win the FA Cup (or if say Chelsea won the FA Cup and didn’t finish top 4).

I think :)
But what if, say, Wolves win it and they also finish 8th?
Man City are banned (assuming it’s upheld).

So in that case Champions League places go to:
(not 2 as Man City are banned)

Europa League goes to
8.Wolves
(Assuming FA Cup was won by a top 5 team).

But Wolves would go into Champions League, so who gets the 3rd Europa League slot going in at the qualifying rounds stage? Does it go to whoever finishes 9th?

I’d seen that, but that’s a scenario where Non-top-4 premier league teams won BOTH European competitions, and you can’t have 6 English clubs in the Champions League. I was thinking about if a non-top-4 club won just one: The Europa League.
Can there be 5 English clubs in the champions league and 3 in the Europa league (8 in total in European competitions)?
If so, then if both domestic cups are won by top-4-teams, and Man City are banned, and one of the champions league spots went to a team who finished 6th, 7th or 8th but had won the Europa League, it seems like the last Europa League spot would go to whoever finishes 9th.

I can’t find any reference to it being a possibility anywhere on the web though, which makes me think I’m missing something and it’s not technically possible.
Screenshot_20200629-151852_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It's a bit like the argument that goes "I'd rather us stay in the championship" blah blah blah. All it shows is the years of under achieving have conditioned many of our fans to think small and always look for the reasons why we can't compete with the big clubs. The only way we become a big club is to play at the top level over a period of time and become an established name all over Europe. Sick of seeing this club scuffling about in the championship or lower having a cup run every few years before losing in a semi final where other team pats you on the head and says hard luck now go back to your rightful place in the lower leagues. Europa league bring it on let's ruffle a few feathers abroad as well as at home.

But what if, say, Wolves win it and they also finish 8th?
Man City are banned (assuming it’s upheld).

So in that case Champions League places go to:
(not 2 as Man City are banned)

Europa League goes to
8.Wolves
(Assuming FA Cup was won by a top 5 team).

But Wolves would go into Champions League, so who gets the 3rd Europa League slot going in at the qualifying rounds stage? Does it go to whoever finishes 9th?
Screenshot_20200629-151852_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

With us unlikely to get 6th now, we'd have to qualify for the group stages. Earlier pre season etc. Bit like Burnley before. Could be tough on the players later that season. 6th would get group stages which would be perfect. (If man city's ban is upheld).

But give your head a wobble. European football!! Bring it on.

It's a bit like the argument that goes "I'd rather us stay in the championship" blah blah blah. All it shows is the years of under achieving have conditioned many of our fans to think small and always look for the reasons why we can't compete with the big clubs. The only way we become a big club is to play at the top level over a period of time and become an established name all over Europe. Sick of seeing this club scuffling about in the championship or lower having a cup run every few years before losing in a semi final where other team pats you on the head and says hard luck now go back to your rightful place in the lower leagues. Europa league bring it on let's ruffle a few feathers abroad as well as at home.
I think its smalltime to be so desperate to get one over on the pigs you are willing to.sacrifice 200 million pounds t.v money every year

If you don’t want us to enter the europa league, with billy sharp leading the line against Spartak Moscow in a competitive game, or watching Chris Wilder managing in the cauldron of a Turkish away game in a game we need to win, you really need to have a look at your priorities. You’re objectively wrong.

The fact that you don’t want this because you want us to focus on building a squad capable of Europe and these games, you understand irony, right?

Beware, you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone. We might never have this opportunity again. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. Something that will gain our players so much confidence and experience and value in the market if they do well. It’s called progress.

The other bonus is that players on the fringe, (we’ll be signing a lot more Jack Robinsons and Luke Freeman’s) that can’t get a game in the league due to JOC/Fleck form will be able to get 10-15 games under the belt and we’ll all know how capable those players are.

Basically what I’m saying is: if your main argument against the europa cup is that you want to focus on building a side capable of challenging to get into the europa cup, have a think....

If you don’t want us to enter the europa league, with billy sharp leading the line against Spartak Moscow in a competitive game, or watching Chris Wilder managing in the cauldron of a Turkish away game in a game we need to win, you really need to have a look at your priorities. You’re objectively wrong.

The fact that you don’t want this because you want us to focus on building a squad capable of Europe and these games, you understand irony, right?

Beware, you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone. We might never have this opportunity again. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. Something that will gain our players so much confidence and experience and value in the market if they do well. It’s called progress.

The other bonus is that players on the fringe, (we’ll be signing a lot more Jack Robinsons and Luke Freeman’s) that can’t get a game in the league due to JOC/Fleck form will be able to get 10-15 games under the belt and we’ll all know how capable those players are.

Basically what I’m saying is: if your main argument against the europa cup is that you want to focus on building a side capable of challenging to get into the europa cup, have a think....
Yes I'm.certainly envious of Wednesday fans who can sit in the boozer with their mates bragging about getting beat by Kaiserslautern just before they head off to the sty to watch their team that hasn't been in the premier league for twenty years

Not disagreeing with you that we should aim for Europe but this
We currently have a Premier League squad of 25
isn't true. We have 17 + Hendo, Zivkovic on loan +4 on extensions to the end of the season. Technically 23 but when recruitment starts(end of the season) 17.

Yes I'm.certainly envious of Wednesday fans who can sit in the boozer with their mates bragging about getting beat by Kaiserslautern just before they head off to the sty to watch their team that hasn't been in the premier league for twenty years
Is your glass half full, or half empty in this pub?

I think its smalltime to be so desperate to get one over on the pigs you are willing to.sacrifice 200 million pounds t.v money every year
It's not about getting one over on the pigs it's about progressing the club who gives a toss what the no marks from S6 think. The way you are thinking we will never be ready for a crack at Europe simply because we have never done it before, being in Europe is the only way to keep on attracting players like Sander Berge to the club. Do you really think he would have signed for us if we were in Norwich's position? If you want to progress it's a no brainer.

We now play 36 games in the Premiership. That's 10 less.
There are 19 other teams in the Premier League, so it‘s 38 games. 8 less. Has Petunia pinched your calculator?😆

Fewer. You're welcome 😉

If we play 10 games in the Europa League that will mean we are Champions! It's a minimum of 6 - then it becomes a knockout competition. I'd consider that a nice problem to have - not a burden.

Not so. 6 group stage games then two-legged rounds of 32, 16, 8 & 4 followed by a final. Maximum of 15 games.

Fewer. You're welcome 😉

Not so. 6 group stage games then two-legged rounds of 32, 16, 8 & 4 followed by a final. Maximum of 15 games.
The lowest ranked qualifiers (ie 7th in the PL) have to enter at the 2nd Qualifying Stage. Those will be single legged next season. You have to win three games to get to the Group Stage

I Don't want it, too many fixtures without the uplift in income you get from the likes of the CL and we would need to buy a lot more players.. Second seasons could be hard enough. would like fully established first.

Yes.
Success?
No not for us Blades. Let's just Bob along without ever tasting European competition.

Thankfully CW won't ever entertain that idea.

Long article, lots of graphs, so I'll just say that the conclusion is that overall Europa League doesn't have any real impact on domestic performance.

It's another one of those footballing myths that people prefer to data.
I'd like to dismiss this evidence on the grounds that the article has been selective with the data it has used. It uses the statistics from only 2 of 3 clubs (most not all seasons) from the EPL which were entered in the Europa League. Significantly it omits Burnley (a club very similar) to our own from the 18-19 season where they had qualified for Europa League by finishing 7th and the following season during which they played in Europe they finished 15th.

It's not about getting one over on the pigs it's about progressing the club who gives a toss what the no marks from S6 think. The way you are thinking we will never be ready for a crack at Europe simply because we have never done it before, being in Europe is the only way to keep on attracting players like Sander Berge to the club. Do you really think he would have signed for us if we were in Norwich's position? If you want to progress it's a no brainer.
Do you think he will stay if we get relagated ?

This is why we get so much ridiculous hostility when the team loses a few ,some of you have totally unrealistic expectations and no grasp of reality
Our success this season has been based on fitness and hunger .the tactics rely on us outworking the opposition as we can't match their quality or physicality ,we have to.stop them playing and then still have the fitness to be able to play our football .
When we lose key players or are not quite hundred per cent we are not the same side

We have edged quite a few games this season and won points in key times in games that could have gone the other way

Yes finishing in Europe would be a great achievement for the players and staff but really its a tournament I think they should just scrap ,its only there as a fallback for the big clubs who aren't good enough to get in the champions league

I'd like to dismiss this evidence on the grounds that the article has been selective with the data it has used. It uses the statistics from only 2 of 3 clubs (most not all seasons) from the EPL which were entered in the Europa League. Significantly it omits Burnley (a club very similar) to our own from the 18-19 season where they had qualified for Europa League by finishing 7th and the following season during which they played in Europe they finished 15th.
Burnley was even worse: out at the third qualifying round 4-2 on aggregate to Olympiacos in August, they were third bottom at the end of December. Only a relatively decent run in the final 18 games (7 wins, 4 draws, 7 defeats) kept them up.

I won't be gutted if we don't make Europa. I won't be excited seeing us play some random side I have hardly heard of behind closed doors either. It's hardly the elite of Europe.

Importantly the money would barley fund one big signing and with a small squad we would need a few.

I appreciate that the guy who produced that article has taken the 2 clubs each year who progressed the furthest in the Europa League to produce more data but in doing so he skews the information by omitting the performances of those teams with weaker squads of which we are undoubtedly one. Of the 10 clubs (sometimes the same club used multiple times) he has taken data from 7 are Big 6* teams. The weakest team analyzed, Southampton are highlighted in the article thus:
" It’s (sic) important to re-emphasise that the likes of Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea have a wealth of talent within their squads and are able to rotate well enough to compete on both fronts.
This may explain Southampton’s torrid time in front of goal following their Europa League games in 16/17. They simply didn’t have enough depth."

* Big 6 = a team with significantly more income than the rest of the teams in the division.

Am I right in saying that if we qualify for the Europa League we won't be in the League Cup?
If so we won't really be playing any more games.

Do you think he will stay if we get relagated ?

This is why we get so much ridiculous hostility when the team loses a few ,some of you have totally unrealistic expectations and no grasp of reality
Our success this season has been based on fitness and hunger .the tactics rely on us outworking the opposition as we can't match their quality or physicality ,we have to.stop them playing and then still have the fitness to be able to play our football .
When we lose key players or are not quite hundred per cent we are not the same side

We have edged quite a few games this season and won points in key times in games that could have gone the other way

Yes finishing in Europe would be a great achievement for the players and staff but really its a tournament I think they should just scrap ,its only there as a fallback for the big clubs who aren't good enough to get in the champions league
Niceguyeddie
Do you mind if I ask a "genuine question". Starting with a statement. I'm the sort of fan who enjoys the japes, the adventure, the novelty. The Europa League would be great for me. It's got the lot.
Question - do you not see your support for the club in a similar way? Perhaps you see it in a more clinical, balance sheet way? I'm a student of Terrace Culture. So, I'm genuinely interested in how you would describe your "fandom". Thanks in advance.

Our squad is not deep enough for two games a week ,if you have not noticed that over the last few weeks then something is wrong with your thought process
If you took key players out of any side they’d struggle. Look at Man United before they signed Fernandes, they weren’t exactly great. Signed one player and he’s totally transformed them - now if he was to get injured what happens?

Also if we qualify for the Europa then we improve the depth. Which we should be anyway in the summer.

Wolves squad isn’t deep at all, and despite a sluggish start in the League they’re not doing bad now are they - and they’re in the quarter finals of the Europa to boot.

Back
Top Bottom