Europa League

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If we are in the Europa league next season we will go.down
What's ambitious about it ? Its shit no one watches it

Too defeatist for me that! You’ve no idea what will happen if we get in the Europa. The only thing I’ve got to go on is that CWAK and the boys continue to defy the odds and outperform expectations!
Big win against Burnley tomorrow... come on the Blades!!

WE are going to have to have a sensational recruitment drive this close season and that's before Europe.

If we are in the Europa league next season we will go.down
What's ambitious about it ? Its shit no one watches it

Why will that automatically make is go down? I didnt realise that was a new rule. Arsenal wolves man u must all be worried right now wonder if they know they are going down at the end of the season because of this new rule. There is no evidence of people going down following European football. And that is definitely not a fact it could happen it could not nobody knows. There is no garante we wont go down if we dont get European football either which if we did then we might not ever get a chance of getting into European football but that's ok then let's just give up now. We may as well forfeit the rest of the season then as we are now safe and the fans dont want European football apparently so why do you continue to watch us? Do you still celebrate when we score or when we win or do you get face on because we move closer to European football? I cant understand that mind set and I cant understand how you can love the blades but are not happy that we are pushing to get into one of the best tournaments in the world. Its unbelievable.

It might not be brilliant financially but it is a prestigious competition? So you dont ever have ambitions of watching United tear it up in a European league with some of the best teams in the world. I really am amazed that some people have this mind set. I cant believe some people would just be happy for us to just have no ambition at all all because it doesnt have enough financial benerfit for people. I am amazed. I never said it was the exact same as been in the championship I was just saying the games then was thick and fast. I cant believe how little ambition some people have I cant see this been any of the players mind sets or wilder's mind set they will want to see us grow season after season as will the majority of fans and if we could get into a major tournament on our first season back in the premiership then that's an amazing start.

Europa League is less prestigious than the Premier League though, I don't see it as a step up, a step to the side at best.

There's no argument to be made against the desire to see Blades in Europe.
I just don't see any benefit other than a sentimental one in all honesty.

So when we were in league one people didn't want us to win that because less people watched it than the championship? When we were in the league Cup people didn't want us to win it because less people watched it than the FA Cup?
So by that logic these fans don't want us to win the Premier League because more people watch the champions league. I don't get it, why wouldn't we want to be in the Europe league?

Europa League is less prestigious than the Premier League though, I don't see it as a step up, a step to the side at best.

There's no argument to be made against the desire to see Blades in Europe.
I just don't see any benefit other than a sentimental one in all honesty.

No one is compating them? It's not a either or no one is asking you to choose Europa league or the premiership. I cant believe some peoples views on this even if it wasnt a case of European football or not ever game I want the blades to win you are essentially saying you dont want us to win because you dont want European football. How is there no other benerfit? What about attracting better players with the pull of European football etc there is numerous other reason as well but if you cant see that then I cant be bothered wasting my breath to explain. And the point of sentimental benerfit that is the whole point in football that is the whole reason people watch the sport and love a football team it's all down to sentiment. I really dont understand fans that dont want the best for United surely that is the whole reason why you watch the blades to see us do well etc and I see been in one of the biggest tournaments in the world with only the best teams in the world as doing well.

It's not an uncommon opinion he's got but I'm with you. I'm 33, and for my whole life the idea of Sheffield United in a real European competition has been a pure dream. This is the first time we've even had a real shot at it. Even aside from that, I can't want my team not to finish higher up the league table. I want the Blades to finish above as many teams as they can and if that means battling it out with teams overseas then that's a challenge I want to see us take head on.

That and there's a few articles out there that show teams in Europe don't actually tend to do worse for it. It comes with some drawbacks but typically teams do about as well if not better. It seems a lot more like what happens is if a team qualifies and then starts poorly in the League then everyone blames the Europa for it.

I'm nearly double your age and agree with you 100%. I was at Birmingham in 1975 when a win would have put us in the Uefa cup. Or rather wouldn't as they changed the rules to allow 2 clubs from the same city in ( Liverpool and Everton ) I never thought it would be 45 years before we got anywhere near again.

So, going back to the technicalities of qualification, is it correct that it’s guaranteed 6th will play Europa league (Man city won league cup), highly likely 7th will too (top 6 team wins FA Cup), likely 8th will too (Man City ban upheld), technically possible 9th uld too (Man U or Wolves win Europa League and finish outside top 5 in Premier League).

I don’t know if the last one is true.
Does anyone else know?

No one is compating them? It's not a either or no one is asking you to choose Europa league or the premiership. I cant believe some peoples views on this even if it wasnt a case of European football or not ever game I want the blades to win you are essentially saying you dont want us to win because you dont want European football. How is there no other benerfit? What about attracting better players with the pull of European football etc there is numerous other reason as well but if you cant see that then I cant be bothered wasting my breath to explain. And the point of sentimental benerfit that is the whole point in football that is the whole reason people watch the sport and love a football team it's all down to sentiment. I really dont understand fans that dont want the best for United surely that is the whole reason why you watch the blades to see us do well etc and I see been in one of the biggest tournaments in the world with only the best teams in the world as doing well.

That is an argument for Champions League, not the Europa imo.
You're right that it's not a case of Premier League OR Europa League. But priorities have to be set for them next season if competing in both.

I really dont understand fans that dont want the best for United surely that is the whole reason why you watch the blades to see us do well

People are not arguing that they don't want success, they are just arguing that maybe it's a short term risk which may have impact on league performance. Should league performance suffer to the point of relegation, that short-term gain, which is very minor, causes enormous long-term problems.

Burnley for instance, a club that Wilder believes is extremely similar, suffered greatly after finishing 7th they gained qualification, and were in a relegation battle the following season.

Wolves have shown perhaps that it does not necessarily have an impact. Although there are two key differences.

1. How much has the lockdown actually helped Wolves, we may have seen a decline in results without the break to refresh.

2. Wolves are financially in a different league. Both in terms of wages and transfer fees....But also in the access they have to recruitment through Jorge Mendes, where they are able to sign the best players from Portugal, ahead of even clubs like Arsenal.

That is an argument for Champions League, not the Europa imo.
You're right that it's not a case of Premier League OR Europa League. But priorities have to be set for them next season if competing in both.

I really dont understand fans that dont want the best for United surely that is the whole reason why you watch the blades to see us do well

People are not arguing that they don't want success, they are just arguing that maybe it's a short term risk which may have impact on league performance. Should league performance suffer to the point of relegation, that short-term gain, which is very minor, causes enormous long-term problems.

Burnley for instance, a club that Wilder believes is extremely similar, suffered greatly after finishing 7th they gained qualification, and were in a relegation battle the following season.

Wolves have shown perhaps that it does not necessarily have an impact. Although there are two key differences.

1. How much has the lockdown actually helped Wolves, we may have seen a decline in results without the break to refresh.

2. Wolves are financially in a different league. Both in terms of wages and transfer fees....But also in the access they have to recruitment through Jorge Mendes, where they are able to sign the best players from Portugal, ahead of even clubs like Arsenal.

Well each to there own I suppose but I do see Europa league as one of the biggest tournaments and I do hope we can get into it and tear it up against some of the best teams in the world and really get our name out there and show what we can do to teams around the world. You could say that we might suffer from it but no one knows if we will be safe next season or not yet any way which is the same for every team in the league. Wolves showed no sign of slowing down before the lock down and I really dont believe they would have even if they did they would have definitely been more than safe in the league. I am not sure if you meant that but by the point you say about Burnley you almost make it sound as if you think wilder doesnt want European football and if you do think that I can guarantee you you are 100 percent wrong. Wilder knows what a chance this is and he knows that this might never come around again this really is our chance to get into a big competition and show everyone how good we really are. I really am amazed to find some people are so against euorpa league I want us to do the best we can and getting into Europa league is really up there worth the best we can do and is massive stepping stone in the right direction. Maybe we should just have give up this season and been happy finishing in 17th.

This is just a correlation/causation thing. It's not uncommon for a Prem team to have a comfortable finish one season and then battle it out the next, but when Europa is involved, well, that gets the blame. The data seems to suggest that it's another footballing myth.

I haven't given the Europa League a great deal of attention previously, and yes it is the poor cousin to the Champions League, but should we make it, I would fuuucking love watching us have a go in there. It would be another leg of the fantastic journey that we are on at the moment, and seeing us play in Europe would be incredible, not to mention the impact it would have on our growing popularity.

We may well crash out early on, and it may well adversely affect our league form, but I suspect in both cases we will do much better than many expect. It's what we do, and I learnt a long time ago to never write this group off.

Mrs says "where you having your stag do?"
'probably the europa league semi final'
"you're not going to Europe you silly bastard"

COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIZZAAAARRRRRDDDDDSSSSSSS make it so

Is it possible that 9th could even get a Europa League place if ManU or Wolves win the Europa League this season and also finish outside top 5?

Don’t think so. You get a champions league place for winning it, so they’d be in that.

If they also finished in the top 4, only 4 clubs get champions league. If they finish outside it, they and the top 4 do (5 places in total).

The Europa League isn’t affected by who wins it because the winners don’t play in it.

It’s 8th in the league this year, as long as City lose their appeal and Arsenal don’t win the FA Cup (or if say Chelsea won the FA Cup and didn’t finish top 4).

I think :)

Are you for real you are saying you dont want us to qualify for European football some thing we might never get to see in our life you never know. We are in a brilliant position and we might never get this chance again hopefully we will but you dont know. We ALS know what it's like to play games at a quicker rate than most seen as we was used to that in the championship and it caused us no harm then. Also look at the likes of wolves they have established them selfs in the prem and also enjoying European football so why couldn't we? If you seriously dont want European football then there really is some thing wrong with your thought process.
Wolves have serious dollar

I wasn't questioning the quality I was on about the number of games and the fact we didnt get any injuries etc so what would be the difference? There is no reason what so ever that European football has to have a negative effect on your league result? Is it effecting wolves? If anything it can give you more confidence and if your on a good run it can keep it going or if your on a bad run you can end it in that and get confidence for the next game your view on it is so negative for no reason. And whats so amazing about that? What finishing as high as we can in the league? Or maybe I dont know maybe been in one of the most prestigious competitions in the world that we might never get another chance of been in or been able to watch in our lifes. But no theres nothing amazing about that at all. Wolves are doing just fine they have managed to come up from the championship strengthen gradually and compete in the premiership season after season so why cant we? O yeah because some fans just have that little mind set that we cant do it because we arent good enough etc but how do we know if we havent got into that position.
Wolves have serious dollar

We better not win today.. it was fantastic we only got one point from 3 games after the restart.. hopefully that’s got rid of any champions league ambitions.... just need to lose today and the next couple and hopefully that’s the Europa league out of the window... don’t want to be paying bonuses to players for reaching these pesky European competitions or players from abroad looking at us as a possible next step in their career.. the veterans in our squad don’t need these extra games!! As for the fans, who wants to go on a European adventure to places we’ve never heard of or were likely to visit EVER? Piss ups? cultural tours? Nar, don’t want or need it 🙄

Are you for real you are saying you dont want us to qualify for European football some thing we might never get to see in our life you never know. We are in a brilliant position and we might never get this chance again hopefully we will but you dont know. We ALS know what it's like to play games at a quicker rate than most seen as we was used to that in the championship and it caused us no harm then. Also look at the likes of wolves they have established them selfs in the prem and also enjoying European football so why couldn't we? If you seriously dont want European football then there really is some thing wrong with your thought process.

How anyone on earth, who claims to be a Sheffield United supporter, can genuinely not want to see us compete at the highest level in Europe, something no Blades fan alive or dead has ever witnessed before, I really do not know.

The "extra games will damage us" argument is complete nonsense. We played 46 games in the Championship and seemed to manage o.k.? We now play 36 games in the Premiership. That's 10 less. If we play 10 games in the Europa League that will mean we are Champions! It's a minimum of 6 - then it becomes a knockout competition. I'd consider that a nice problem to have - not a burden.

We will need a bigger, more in-depth, squad for sure. But we need that anyway, just to survive in the Premiership. Have some folks not noticed that this is the way the club has to go, regardless of European football? And how on earth can that be a bad thing? Having more players, better quality players, to choose from?

Qualifying for Europe will not involve us in more games than we've routinely played in the past, and it will not force us into having a bigger squad than we are planning to have in any case.

It will however project the club forward on the world stage. It will attract some of the world's best players to come and play for Sheffield United. It will increase the club's revenues and make us financially more secure.

I mentioned the word "genuinely" in my first sentence. I think we also need to be aware that some folks just want to put the counter argument forward on here for the sake of arguing. So, maybe we should just leave them to it - because it makes no sense at all.

I haven't given the Europa League a great deal of attention previously, and yes it is the poor cousin to the Champions League, but should we make it, I would fuuucking love watching us have a go in there. It would be another leg of the fantastic journey that we are on at the moment, and seeing us play in Europe would be incredible, not to mention the impact it would have on our growing popularity.

We may well crash out early on, and it may well adversely affect our league form, but I suspect in both cases we will do much better than many expect. It's what we do, and I learnt a long time ago to never write this group off.

Agree 100% with this.

Do I currently watch Europa League on TV.... no.

Do I want to watch us in Europe... hell yes !

Would I go abroad... try stopping me !

Back
Top Bottom