Enda Stevens

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He’s turned into a fanny who hasn’t got the bottle to even attempt to take on a player. Him and ‘quack quack’ Fleck are putting the minimum amount of effort in and it really is starting to boil my fucking piss. Say what you will about RND at least he attempts to go past a player.
Said in haste before what happened to John Fleck. I feel sick to my stomach after what happened. No more sarcastic comments etc only calm and constructive criticism if I feel it’s warranted. It’s not on what I’ve said and I’ve had a good look at myself. At the end of the day it’s a game of football not life and death.

He’s turned into a fanny who hasn’t got the bottle to even attempt to take on a player. Him and ‘quack quack’ Fleck are putting the minimum amount of effort in and it really is starting to boil my fucking piss. Say what you will about RND at least he attempts to go past a player.
Nobody has to tell me this was a shit post in the circumstances and totally unwarranted. I know it, I feel terrible about it. Looking at the team I think it’s just a case of some players coming to the end of their careers, not necessarily lack of effort. It’s also a case of me putting my arse and gob in gear and think before I post.

First half it was as though he'd been given instructions not to cross the half-way line. Every time it was "turn back and pass to Davies".

I’ll never not be amazed at the willingness of some of our fans to call our our players “c***” , “coward” etc.

Yes, I’m a snowflake, softy, happy clapper, c***, etc.
Ironically, the fans who indulge in that sort of thing tend to be exactly the things that they accuse the players of being.

Said in haste before what happened to John Fleck. I feel sick to my stomach after what happened. No more sarcastic comments etc only calm and constructive criticism if I feel it’s warranted. It’s not on what I’ve said and I’ve had a good look at myself. At the end of the day it’s a game of football not life and death.

Nobody has to tell me this was a shit post in the circumstances and totally unwarranted. I know it, I feel terrible about it. Looking at the team I think it’s just a case of some players coming to the end of their careers, not necessarily lack of effort. It’s also a case of me putting my arse and gob in gear and think before I post.

Well said mate and fair play for saying it. Lots of stuff we say and post in the heat of the moment looks awful when we look back on it in "normal" circumstances, and that just gets ramped up when something like this happens.

Don't beat yourself up over it. There's not a football fan in the land that hasn't said shit in the heat of the moment that they later regret.

I think Stevens is old and slowing down. He doesn't feel confident enough to take anyone on even when he has space to do so. Defensively does about enough but is still prone to error.

RND is error prone but young enough to improve.
Give the kid a run in the side ffs

He’s abysmal. Can’t defend, can’t attack. Get RND in team, at least he’s a youngster who can improve

Well done for this. You're by no means the worst. Far too many posters and so called fans on social media think its ok to just post vile nonsense about a player during a bad run of form for him and the team, yet want to carry them off the pitch in promotion seasons. Personally i think its pretty disgusting and reading some of the posts on this forum after we lose or even win!

As for players at the end of their careers - Stevens 31, Fleck 30, Egan 29, Norwood 30... None of these players have become poor players overnight, there are other issues and they are certainly not due to retire soon based on their age and fitness. They may not suit the Sheffield United style anymore, but thats something of a transition issue.

One thing is for certain. Every single player that pulls on that shirt gives 100% every game. They all care.

I was at the game last night and both Enda and Flecky were poor and getting some stick. Fans obviously weren't to know that our Scottish hero was about to get suddenly very ill of course but hindsight does give you perspective.

As fans we invest in our club financially, emotionally and with our most precious gift of all, our time. Football is highly competitive and part of why players and fans love it but last night was a reminder that the more hateful stuff needs to be reined in.

The post game player ratings on this forum are a fair and good way of showing how we rate performance. We'll not stop moaning of course but life's too short for the more hateful stuff.

He has gone downhill so fast in the last two years it’s quite amazing
No pace, poor first touch and gives the ball away consistently

I was at the game last night and both Enda and Flecky were poor and getting some stick. Fans obviously weren't to know that our Scottish hero was about to get suddenly very ill of course but hindsight does give you perspective.

As fans we invest in our club financially, emotionally and with our most precious gift of all, our time. Football is highly competitive and part of why players and fans love it but last night was a reminder that the more hateful stuff needs to be reined in.

The post game player ratings on this forum are a fair and good way of showing how we rate performance. We'll not stop moaning of course but life's too short for the more hateful stuff.
I think your last line is spot on, we can be critical of performances, but to then take it a step further and either abuse a player directly or then post vile shit about them just isn't necessary.

I actually thought Stevens improved in the second half last night, in terms of trying to go forwards and make things happen. It still didn’t quite happen for him, and he lost the ball the times he tried, but I’d rather he was attempting to make things happen rather than play the safe ball across to Davies, and at least when he was losing the ball he was in an attacking area of the pitch.

Edna played a significant part in both the goal and the build-up to the other big chance for Bogle in the second-half. On each occasion, the player he passed to made good use of the space he had created. That observation is based on the highlights, not the whole match, but there have been many times this season when he has not had the movement from other players to make his game easier. Individuals have a better chance of playing well when the team is playing well.

Edna played a significant part in both the goal and the build-up to the other big chance for Bogle in the second-half. On each occasion, the player he passed to made good use of the space he had created. That observation is based on the highlights, not the whole match, but there have been many times this season when he has not had the movement from other players to make his game easier. Individuals have a better chance of playing well when the team is playing well.
I thought Enda got into space down the left a lot last night and was crying out for an overlapping player but had to keep passing it inside or backwards.

Agree that Stevens is past his best, not in form and not confident. If he is contracted for another year (presumably on good wages) it is another example of the club not being able to assess current players very well.

Having said that I think we have focused quite a bit on being more solid the last couple of games, and maybe that is making him take fewer chances on the ball. He played it safe a lot last night.

It's a shame because in the promotion season and first half of the 1st prem season he was a bloody delight to watch (and usually chucked in a nutmeg for good measure). Our left side which used to be our strongest is unrecognisable now. Enda and Fleck are a shadow of their former selves and the absence of JOC (who looks to have been the linchpin of the system) hasn't been addressed adequately.

I'm worried about Enda, (who I love as he is one of the players that brought us 4 fantastic years)
First his pre-match interview which looked like a hostage video, and now he has to cope with watching his team-mate drop to the ground.

Can we just take 24hrs off calling them all cunts and cowards?

Well said mate and fair play for saying it. Lots of stuff we say and post in the heat of the moment looks awful when we look back on it in "normal" circumstances, and that just gets ramped up when something like this happens.

Don't beat yourself up over it. There's not a football fan in the land that hasn't said shit in the heat of the moment that they later regret.
Cheers Forge. utb.

Well done for this. You're by no means the worst. Far too many posters and so called fans on social media think its ok to just post vile nonsense about a player during a bad run of form for him and the team, yet want to carry them off the pitch in promotion seasons. Personally i think its pretty disgusting and reading some of the posts on this forum after we lose or even win!

As for players at the end of their careers - Stevens 31, Fleck 30, Egan 29, Norwood 30... None of these players have become poor players overnight, there are other issues and they are certainly not due to retire soon based on their age and fitness. They may not suit the Sheffield United style anymore, but thats something of a transition issue.

One thing is for certain. Every single player that pulls on that shirt gives 100% every game. They all care.
Cheers Swiss, UTB.

It's a mindset problem, not just for Enda but for everyone who is a remnant from the Wilder era who were built up by their manager to feel on top of the world and pulling out great results and performances, to suddenly have the rug pulled from under them being told they were League One standard.

Chris Wilder was the all-seeing, all-knowing messiah, wheeled out all over the media as some sort of god and everyone got into the hype but Wilder transformed into a defeatist shadow of himself once a few results went against him (something he hadn't really experienced for quite a few seasons) and as "League One standard" players, they looked to him for where to go next and he offered no solution other than to eventually bugger off and leave the mess behind rather than swallow his pride and admit he'd made some big errors of judgement.

Behind closed doors, who knows what it was like but it feels like, if they haven't already, that they need to speak to some sports psychologist or respected sportsperson from outside the game to speak to them and get them out of the hole they're in mentally.

You'd argue that they should, as professional athletes, be able to motivate themselves but that's not always the case.

Last season's Sheffield United were a classic case of imposter syndrome. At Championship level, we should be anything but.

Playing alongside JOC you would get 10-20% uplift on Enda's performances easily, particularly going forward. Ben Davies does not offer the overlapping runs forward, so there is rarely an overload on that side - hence all the backwards passes. A very good left winger/midfielder would probably help Enda defensively and in attack - would give more options to pass forwards and tracking back - the midfielder could double up on tricky/pacy opposition or cover Enda's position if he went on an attacking run.

Back
Top Bottom