email from club - NO MORE TICKETS ON SALE IN KOP - standing & wrong seat usage

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would sort it all out if we just introduced some safe standing areas in the ground or on the KOP.

People don't sit in their allocated seat because for some reason people buy tickets 7 rows from the back of the KOP, which should be the loudest section in the ground and demand folk infront of them sit down. Why they choose to sit there with a ground of 33K I do not know. That results in the people who do want to stand having to cram into the 7 rows behind those people because there isn't enough seats for folk wanting to stand up to buy.
We should stop automatic renewals of seats in the KOP next year and tell people to stop buying tickets 7 rows from the back if they're going to insist on sitting down.
Unbelievable, people buy a ticket for a seat and actually sit in it!

If you are standing at the back, you are not likely to be blocking someone else’s view so I would have thought that common sense would look at that and say that’s a minor issue.

However, if people are overcrowding, that needs to be sorted.

If I got into the ground, found someone in my seat who wouldn’t move I would expect the agents of the club i.e. the stewards to sort it out. It would appear from previous comments that I would be disappointed and this is where the club needs to look at being more pro-active. It surely cannot take much compared to the sledgehammer to crack a nut approach of threatening to close the stand. Deal with the minority.

An earlier poster asked what is wrong with standing? Nothing If it’s intermittent during exciting times. Plenty when it becomes regular in front of kids, my 80 year old dad with a hip replacement or my missus. Realistically if areas behind the goal went safe standing, then no one really has an excuse to be persistently standing in the seats at the side of the pitch. It would be more towards when we had terraces except, then you could easily stand with your friends together and move away from nobheads.

The worst I have seen is at Wembley, not with United. Even when I had a really expensive seat by the players tunnel about ten rows back. I had to stand for most of the game because two, yes just two 20-somethings refused to sit down. Taking a look at the stewards in that part of the ground, they were never going to get involved in any dispute and that’s in our national stadium.

So what happens if a few people at the back don't sit down? Do they send in snatch squads? Or close the Kop entirely, punishing the 95% of fans who remain seated?

If they close the kop, what's the likelihood of the E and F block standers staying seated thoughout the match in their new place at the back of the South Stand or BLUT? Not very high given that people stand up at the back of these stands anyway.

Seems like someone is intent on picking a fight with our loudest, most passionate supporters. As many have said, other spectators don't give a shit if people stand at the back of the kop. They are trying to find an issue where one doesn't exist.

Technically people who stand are breaking the ground regulations, but people who stand anywhere, for any reason. That includes away fan, more of whom stand than home fans

My mate and me have season tickets on the kop.

My grandson comes to me circa 8 games a season via a matchday ticket and sits close by me - never got him a junior season ticket as he is away at his dads in Leicester every other weekend which makes a season pass nonviable.

His dad is a Villa fan and takes him to an occasional game at Villa Park but his heart is genuinely red and white.

Just told him what SUFC have announced.

To say he is devastated is an understatement.

A sad day

Tarks

Last time I got a letter of warning like this was when I was 15 and got caught wi some lads having a smoke round back of annex at school.

It was all going well and my brother was backing me up…………then he decided to tell mi mother I didn’t smoke but finger banged some lass called Charlotte behind annex.

I suppose what am trying to say is fuck off council and SUFC stop triggering memories !!

My mate and me have season tickets on the kop.

My grandson comes to me circa 8 games a season via a matchday ticket and sits close by me - never got him a junior season ticket as he is away at his dads in Leicester every other weekend which makes a season pass nonviable.

His dad is a Villa fan and takes him to an occasional game at Villa Park but his heart is genuinely red and white.

Just told him what SUFC have announced.

To say he is devastated is an understatement.

A sad day

Tarks

Going to be loads in the same boat who are now being punished for not being ST holders.

Attendances will drop off and more and more fans will become alienated from the club.

Fingers crossed this all blows over very shortly and common sense prevails.

On another note, didn’t Man Utd fans get threatened with something like this for persistent standing at Old Trafford a few years ago?

The next game, the whole Stretford End stood up for 90 minutes. Did anything happen? Did it fuck.

There’s no way the Kop will be shut. Not a prayer. Every ground in the country would have to have a stand closed.

Sorry, you’re saying that people sitting down in their own seats are the real problem?
Yes, people who buy tickets in the most atmospheric part of the ground and demand those infront of them sit down, just 8 rows from the back, are responsible for killing the atmosphere in the Lane. Why they choose to buy tickets so close to the back to then sit down and moan at people for standing I have no clue.
And because of this people have to cram in behind as there isn't enough rows for the folk who do want to stand.

Hysel, Hillsborough, Ibrox who next the Lane. You try to prevent a disaster before it happens
Well..... yes. But there's absolutely nothing to suggest anything resembling a disaster is possible at Bramall Lane. Or at any ground. All the conditions for disaster have been eradicated.... namely fences and uncontrolled capacity

They need to explain just how Bramall Lane is uniquely bad and provide strong evidence to back it up. They'll have a problem though because it's non existent

Standing at the back of the kop has been going on since it was built. I had a season ticket for the back row for around 20 years and never sat in it once. Surely all it takes is a steward stood next to the gangway checking tickets, and stopping people going up if they don't have tickets for that part of the ground.

I have stood at the back of the kop not in my own seat for years and never encountered any serious issues.

Why don’t I sit in my own seat? Well at 6 foot 2 it’s impossible to sit down in it without my knees being wedged into the back of the seat in front and leaves me with visible marks for the next few days.

How about those that have had to buy a seat right behind one of the bloody poles. Can anyone blame them for not taking up their designated seat. Why on earth would they pay 36 quid to sit looking at a pole for 90+ minutes.

It’s noted by the way that the club openly sell these tickets as restricted view ( quite rightly) but don’t offer a reduced price proportionally for the view.

Whilst I firmly blame SCC and SAG for this, perhaps the club should consider why some people feel they have no choice but to watch the match from somewhere other than their own seat

I'm surprised this wasn't raised with the fans before getting to this stage tbh.

Perhaps this will get the club motivated for safe standing...
The fans just kicked off on here about it...

"I'm in gangway such and such, but always go down this gangway instead, but the over zealous security (pricks/cunts/twats [delete as appropriate]) told me I had to go down the gangway listed on my ticket"

Standing at the back of the kop has been going on since it was built. I had a season ticket for the back row for around 20 years and never sat in it once. Surely all it takes is a steward stood next to the gangway checking tickets, and stopping people going up if they don't have tickets for that part of the ground.
People cram in because people 8 rows from the back demand those infront sit down. There isn't enough space for standers before people start telling them to sidahhhn. Which causes the cramming in the 7 rows behind

There's a growing concern that United are becoming the best supported team in Sheffield

Not just in the stadium, that's been obvious for a long time, but in the city itself.

Sheffield City Council will do whatever it can to quell this whilst the rust bucket death trap remains the same

It's also about time that stewards had to prove they support United or some other club

I'm pretty sure there are a sizeable number of pigs doing this job and doing everything they can to create situations that can lead to trouble

There's a growing concern that United are becoming the best supported team in Sheffield

Not just in the stadium, that's been obvious for a long time, but in the city itself.

Sheffield City Council will do whatever it can to quell this whilst the rust bucket death trap remains the same
Don't forget Sheffield Council are one of the reasons we have all seater grounds in the first place.

You can find your Sheffield City Council representative here. Be sure to email them expressing your disappointment at the heavy handed approach to this matter. Approx 50% of Sheffield voters are Sheffield United fans, this feels like terrible politics.

Bramall Lane is part of the "City" ward which is represented by the following (all part of the Green Party).

Douglas Johnson - [email protected]

Ruth Mersereau - [email protected]

Martin Phipps - [email protected]

Lines of argument I would use:

- Sheffield is the home of football, the passion and history the City has for the worlds game should be a source of pride for the City council not a source of antagonism. The City should be leaning into the thrill and passion of Bramall lane, one of the oldest, and most beloved football stadiums in the country. The stadium is consistently rated as one of the favorite grounds for opposing fans one of the best places to enjoy a traditional and passionate English football experience.

- The Kop is the cheapest area of the ground to purchase tickets to Bramall Lane (or indeed any professional football ground in the city). For those who are unable to afford a season ticket, the occasional ticket on the kop is the most affordable way to participate in the City's proud football tradition. Closing the kop to individual ticket sales is regressive, impacting the lowest income in the city the most.

- The stadium is at the heart of the city, with most fans walking or taking public transport to the game, and enjoying the surrounding pubs and restaurant. It is not only a driver of local economic activity, it is a driver of local community, a place where Sheffielders get together, and bring life to the city center.

- Standing in seated areas happens at every football ground in the country - bar none, especially in those areas of the ground where the most passionate fans are. The passion and history of Bramall lane is something for the city to be proud of.

- This action is capricious, and unfairly singles out Sheffield United, when it is known that the same happens at Hillsborough and all the surrounding grounds. It is simply impossible to police people standing up in seats on mass, the City and the club needs to propose a more credible solution than this approach.

- The fans that are the cause of concern are predominately season ticket holders. This action unfairly punishes those who are unlikely to be the source of the concerns.

- The council, the club and the affected fans should seek a collaborative, rather than authoritative solution to the problem. It is clear that there is a desire and need for safe standing facilities at Bramall Lane, the club and the council should fast track this as soon as possible.

The fans just kicked off on here about it...

"I'm in gangway such and such, but always go down this gangway instead, but the over zealous security (pricks/cunts/twats [delete as appropriate]) told me I had to go down the gangway listed on my ticket"
Yes but if they put a statement online explaining why and what they were trying to achieve rather than this wishy washy use your correct gangway method when people had already made their plans then at least people could expect it! A bit like when there was a issue with people sneaking in with concession tickets. Club put something online explaining they were on to you and to cut it out...

It's also about time that stewards had to prove they support United or some other club

I'm pretty sure there are a sizeable number of pigs doing this job and doing everything they can to create situations that can lead to trouble
You wouldn't put it past them 😀.. Err, we can't have United getting bigger crowds than at S6, what can we do about it?... Err, create a problem that doesn't exist, and close parts of the ground.

Back
Top Bottom