Drop Flynn, please

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blader

Reaction score
This is not a debate as to whether he is a good player or not. (I personally don't rate him).

That is irrelevant, but any player who puts in performances like his last 3 mean he does not deserve to start the next game. Unfortunately, if Murphy doesn't recover in time, he will have to play on Saturday, but at the first opportunity we need to drop Flynn.

Doesn't beat his man, crossing abismal, lightweight and just seems to be an old school LM, as oppose to a modern day winger. The most frustrating thing as that he hasn't even attempted to beat his full back in the last few games. Pretty poor.

Sorry Ryan, but much improvement is needed, especially when our striker is the sort who thrives off crosses from out wide!

Didn't think he did anything last night to be singled out. Kitson was god awful with everything he did and that wasn't just down to a lack of wide service. There were several out there last night needed to have a look at themselves.

Flynn has the highest number of assists this season and has been in and out of the side.

KMac never gets dropped but has only 1 goal and 1 assist... if the stats are correct.

Who provides more?

Just asking

If KMac had it in him to drive us forward properly we'd be promoted without an issue. It was his area of the field that went missing again last night. We won a pathetic amount of ball in the midfield areas.

More energy needed when we don't have the ball, and more urgency needed when we do.

Players last night worse than Flynn,
McMahon
Collins
Maguire
Higgingbotham
Doyle
Kitson

But lets scapegoat Flynn. Now I dont rate him that highly but on last nights performance then he shouldnt be the first name that people want dropping, and to say bring in Mcfadzean is a joke on what I have seen him play.
As I have already put on another thread if this had been Maguires first game and not his 100th then he would have struggled to get a second

Flynn has the highest number of assists this season and has been in and out of the side.

KMac never gets dropped but has only 1 goal and 1 assist... if the stats are correct.

Who provides more?

Just asking

KMacs got a better haircut.

Who provides more?

Just asking

McDonald.

Just saying.

:)

UTB

A braver man would drop K-Mac and put Robson alongside Mr Untouchable.......

try changing tactics where our wingers face towards the right goal and we might get somewhere

Odd that some people who don't particularly rate Flynn are half defending him on this thread (other than the o/p). I've always appreciated what he brings to the table but last night was his poorest game to date imo. He seemed to have run out of steam and maybe playing at Bramall Lane drains some of his confidnece, who knows? But if all the wingers/wide midfielders/wing backs/flankmen...fuck it, shall we just call 'em footballers eh, were fit, I think RF looks ready for a spell on the bench.
But it doesn't really matter what I or any other fan/poster thinks and posts, as Danny Wilson knows far better than we watchers, who is fit, fucked, fallible, flimsy or otherwise and selects his team to win matches per se.

Same with tactics etc. Do folk who voice their opinions (their right of course), actually think they seriously know better than Danny, Frank Barlow, Chris Morgan and any other who has input into game plans? I would suggest some think they do know better and when accusing Wilson et al of 'losing the plot' being 'clueless', 'tactically naive' or 'not having a plan B', actually belive their own hype!
Lets be serious here for a moment, how many of the armchair/grandstand coaches have played at, been involved with a club at professional level? Not many if any I would guess.

I really try not to criticise someone who is better at or more qualified than me at what we are observing. Yes, it was poor fayre last night and left me frustrated and sometimes bored with what I saw, but teams like Orient aren't just going to come and lay down for us and Russell Slade is an astute coach who obviously prepared his team well to excecute thier game plan perfectly. Thankfully one of our number was right on top of his game last night or otherwise the flack would have been far more vitriolic than it is right now.

Can we or can't we go up automatic? Sticking my neck out with around a dozen games to go, I'd err on the side of 'No' at the moment. Teams have got our number in that we don't seem to like this being pressed high up the pitch and haven't got the answer to counter it yet. I'm sure the coaching staff are trying to find the answer, but certainly at home, we look short on answers to posed problems.
However, I live in hope.....

Danny Wilson is a regular guy. He wants to do the best he can for himself and his family. He wants to get us promoted for personal glory and to earn a pay rise. He wants his team to get the best result possible in every game.

Do you honestly think he would play Ryan Flynn if he is not the best option available to him to achieve these goals? Danny Wilson is not stupid.

Dropping Flynn would be a big mistake.

Losing his work and all round game would weaken both midfield and defence.

I'd pick a minimum of 4/5 players who would he dropped before him based on the last 3.

It's no coincidence he looks better and is more effective in a balanced team.

After his performance at home v Bournemouth, I thought he was finally going to crack on and become all powerful. IMO we needed a pacey winger in the JTW, although some accounts state that Poleon did a decent job when he switched there last night.

Odd that some people who don't particularly rate Flynn are half defending him on this thread (other than the o/p). I've always appreciated what he brings to the table but last night was his poorest game to date imo. He seemed to have run out of steam and maybe playing at Bramall Lane drains some of his confidnece, who knows? But if all the wingers/wide midfielders/wing backs/flankmen...fuck it, shall we just call 'em footballers eh, were fit, I think RF looks ready for a spell on the bench.
But it doesn't really matter what I or any other fan/poster thinks and posts, as Danny Wilson knows far better than we watchers, who is fit, fucked, fallible, flimsy or otherwise and selects his team to win matches per se.

Same with tactics etc. Do folk who voice their opinions (their right of course), actually think they seriously know better than Danny, Frank Barlow, Chris Morgan and any other who has input into game plans? I would suggest some think they do know better and when accusing Wilson et al of 'losing the plot' being 'clueless', 'tactically naive' or 'not having a plan B', actually belive their own hype!
Lets be serious here for a moment, how many of the armchair/grandstand coaches have played at, been involved with a club at professional level? Not many if any I would guess.

I really try not to criticise someone who is better at or more qualified than me at what we are observing. Yes, it was poor fayre last night and left me frustrated and sometimes bored with what I saw, but teams like Orient aren't just going to come and lay down for us and Russell Slade is an astute coach who obviously prepared his team well to excecute thier game plan perfectly. Thankfully one of our number was right on top of his game last night or otherwise the flack would have been far more vitriolic than it is right now.

Can we or can't we go up automatic? Sticking my neck out with around a dozen games to go, I'd err on the side of 'No' at the moment. Teams have got our number in that we don't seem to like this being pressed high up the pitch and haven't got the answer to counter it yet. I'm sure the coaching staff are trying to find the answer, but certainly at home, we look short on answers to posed problems.
However, I live in hope.....
To be fair I think many people on here know more about game plans than Chris Morgan.

Dropping Flynn would be a big mistake.

Losing his work and all round game would weaken both midfield and defence.

I'd pick a minimum of 4/5 players who would he dropped before him based on the last 3.

It's no coincidence he looks better and is more effective in a balanced team.

So when do we get this balanced team you refer to?

He's a winger. Thy are supposed to go past men and put crosses in? He's woefully lacking in his main duties. 75% of his balls go backwards. I acccept he's a trier - but that's not enough for me

I can't see anything we'd lose if he wasn't in the side. I can't name another player that ticks that box. All the others are limited in a few ways, but have a main strength to play to. I'd love to know Flynn's.

UTB

Same with tactics etc. Do folk who voice their opinions (their right of course), actually think they seriously know better than Danny, Frank Barlow, Chris Morgan and any other who has input into game plans?

Good point - they don't. What I do know is that win, lose or draw, the entertianment I'm getting stops when game kicks off. I've never been so bored. I think we are now less entertaining than a Blackwell team. We are sat second in the table, and I'm yet to feel at all excited.

UTB

Reactions: LSF

He's a winger. Thy are supposed to go past men and put crosses in? He's woefully lacking in his main duties. 75% of his balls go backwards. I acccept he's a trier - but that's not enough for me

I can't see anything we'd lose if he wasn't in the side. I can't name another player that ticks that box. All the others are limited in a few ways, but have a main strength to play to. I'd love to know Flynn's.

UTB

I think you are ignoring his defensive capabilities which i aprt of his game. He certainly wasn't one of our half dozen worse players last night and didn't hide from the game like KMac did.

For me thou,MacFadzean should have gone wide left and Flynn on the right so the crosses wouldn't swing in to the keeper.

For those wanting Flynn dropped didnt he come closest to scoring last night by hitting the post
We have a big problem with our full backs they do not attack / overlap enough it helps if the winger has a full back that will attack as this gives the opposition defence something to think about instead of their full back and wide midfielder just two-ing up on Flynn

He's a winger.

All this recent slagging of Flynn has really made me realise just how many people there are that think a player playing in front of a full back is automatically called a "winger". There is a big difference between a wide midfielder and a winger.

Ryan Flynn is a wide midfielder.

Is his classification as a winger or otherwise going to change their opinion regarding his shitness?

Our wingers "check" so often and come inside to deliver a ball as our big centre forwards (currently Kitson, previously Porter and Cressy) wouldn't be up with the pace and so the ball is supposed to be delivered after the "check". A ball delivered this way should make it easier for the central striker to score from a header as the ball is going towards the goal and should just need directing in and doesn't rely on their pace. In reality this seldom works.

Can't recall Ian Bryson or Carl Bradshaw doing this very often...were they wingers ?

Someone pinch me. Are we really going to debate that wingers are supposed to beat a man and put a cross in? Am I missing a joke here?

UTB

All this recent slagging of Flynn has really made me realise just how many people there are that think a player playing in front of a full back is automatically called a "winger". There is a big difference between a wide midfielder and a winger.

Ryan Flynn is a wide midfielder.

Call it what you want. Too many of our players pass sideways and backwards, too often. This is epitomised by Ryan Flynn.

UTB

He's a winger. They are supposed to go past men and put crosses in? He's woefully lacking in his main duties. 75% of his balls go backwards. I accept he's a trier - but that's not enough for me

He can and will go past men at times, the main problem is, he's normally by far the furthest forward with absolutely no support or any immediate rush forward from the deep strikers and remaining midfield. This is why whoever we play on the left and right end up checking back continually.

How many times this season have you thought from open play "bloody hell Flynn, Player X was in a fantastic position if only you'd have got your cross in rather than check back"?

Take last night for example, how many times did he receive the ball on the wing with 3 or 4 opponents around him and no-one in the area? With a midfield comprising of McDonald, Doyle and Robson, the opposition have absolutely no worries about anyone else breaking with any pace what so whoever is the remaining midfielder tends to get more attention.

In other recent fixtures (check our Twitter feed from the game if you cant remember the passages of play), playing with Murphy up front or on the wing and the other new recruits more central (i.e. Robson) we'd actually begun achieving moves forward where the wide player beats his man/men and ends up pulling back from the byline... Murphy for Doyle's goal @ Shrewsbury, Flynn on at least a couple of other occasions in the last few.

He was the closest to scoring last night and also weighs in with assists. Take him out of the midfield and when Robson, Doyle and McDonald lose the ball (frequent at the moment) we're screwed. I hope you're replacing him with someone with the same work rate and commitment to responsibilities, because he protects the defence very well for a player of his type and never stops.

He's certainly not a world beater and has many aspects of his game he needs to improve upon, but in my opinion he's not getting a fair chance with many at the moment due to things beyond his control. There are at least 4 or 5 others that would be dropped before him.

He can and will go past men at times, the main problem is, he's normally by far the furthest forward with absolutely no support or any immediate rush forward from the deep strikers and remaining midfield. This is why whoever we play on the left and right end up checking back continually.

How many times this season have you thought from open play "bloody hell Flynn, Player X was in a fantastic position if only you'd have got your cross in rather than check back"?

Take last night for example, how many times did he receive the ball on the wing with 3 or 4 opponents around him and no-one in the area? With a midfield comprising of McDonald, Doyle and Robson, the opposition have absolutely no worries about anyone else breaking with any pace what so whoever is the remaining midfielder tends to get more attention.

In other recent fixtures (check our Twitter feed from the game if you cant remember the passages of play), playing with Murphy up front or on the wing and the other new recruits more central (i.e. Robson) we'd actually begun achieving moves forward where the wide player beats his man/men and ends up pulling back from the byline... Murphy for Doyle's goal @ Shrewsbury, Flynn on at least a couple of other occasions in the last few.

He was the closest to scoring last night and also weighs in with assists. Take him out of the midfield and when Robson, Doyle and McDonald lose the ball (frequent at the moment) we're screwed. I hope you're replacing him with someone with the same work rate and commitment to responsibilities, because he protects the defence very well for a player of his type and never stops.

He's certainly not a world beater and has many aspects of his game he needs to improve upon, but in my opinion he's not getting a fair chance with many at the moment due to things beyond his control. There are at least 4 or 5 others that would be dropped before him.

You clearly see something different to me fella, though to be fair you aren't alone.

All this talk of workrate - it's lost on me. I see the effort - but it's just that. The idea that his defensive duties are key to us is again completely over my head.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom