Down memory BDTBL.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

beightonblade

On yer bike !
Reaction score
Can yer remember the stink of Woodbines & Park Drive, knitted red n' white striped wollen scarves, wooden rattles, the 'new' away end stand getting built, slippin under the kop turnstiles to get in for nowt ?

:D

no. no i cant. but i can remember some twat chucking his bovril downt back o me coat when we scored against man city.

I feel that to make this thread even more evocative of such halcyon days it needs a soundtrack...

Can yer remember the stink of Woodbines & Park Drive, knitted red n' white striped wollen scarves, wooden rattles, the 'new' away end stand getting built, slippin under the kop turnstiles to get in for nowt ?

Like it!

Nope, but you'll soon be able to slip through some affordable housing project on your way to the Shoreham. Stand by and watch at your peril Blades.

I think you're mixing up your eras Beighton. The 'new' Bramall Lane stand was not built until the mid 1960s. The era of knitted scarves and wooden rattles was a bit earlier. My mother knitted me a red and white scarf around the end of the 1940s. The trouble was it rapidly grew in length but reduced in width. I soon ended up with a piece of red and white rope....

A proper brass band played before the match and at half time.
No public address system - one of the young ground staff walked around the three sides of the ground with a board, with the team changes chalked on it.
Queuing for the old double-decker trams.
Charity collections - they walked around in front of the stands with a large blanked and people threw coins into it. The trouble was that youngsters (like me) at the front of the crowd, were likely to get hit by a coin on the back of the head. No health and safety...
If someone fainted/collapsed in the packed crowds they would be handed down over the heads of the crowd to the St.John Ambulance people at the edge of the pitch.
No floodlights
Half-time and full-time scores put up on boards in front of the cricket pavilion.
No Radio Sheffield (but we had the Green 'Un!)

Happy days?

Ee, them were the days :
When you could stand with supporters of opposing teams and not fall out.
Kids were passed overhead to get them (and me) to the front railings of the terraces.
Games were played on snow covered pitches (with just the lines cleared) without undersoil heating.
Players were that tough that they only needed 10 minutes at half time to recover.
No pain numbing airosols to treat injuries, just the "magic sponge" to administer ice cold water to whatever kind of injury sustained.
Crouds didn't want the manager's head to roll if they didn't win a match.
You could read the mames of players who gave you their autograph.
Some players had to work all week in a real job and then turned out and played "professional" football as many times as they could

Just revisiting this topic.

A lot of the football was probably rubbish - we don't have videos of matches from the 40s and 50s to compare with the game of today - but I suspect we enjoyed it more that fans do today. Any gripes were probably argued over in the pub by the adults, but most of us kids were happy enough with it all.

mo_045015.jpg
What about those light blue 3 wheel cars that the disabled were allowed to drive onto the edge of the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom