My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Again, pretty grim watching after Leicester. I think we were all expecting Wilder's savaging to have had some effect and to galvanise as it had with the Wolves and later games, but it seems not.

As said, forget Euope now and congratulate Wilder, Knill, the staff and the players on what has been a fucking astounding achievement, not just avoiding instant relegation, but a high, well-deserved finish. A year ago when the programme came out and the pre-season started and the eventual signings came in, I doubt we'd have ever imagined it would turn out like this and the season would be such a fucking struggle to complete. Just say now, thanks to you Red and White Wizards.

But this match illustrated where we have to fix things for next season, not to even imagine such a high finish, but to survive season two and onwards. If it isn't pretty obvious to all that our midfield is riddled with problems, then really, I don't know what evidence you need. Again, with Norwood playing in the inverted V and again, showing off with nothing to show for it, we have what now is a worsening Berge and the Osborn/Fleck/Lundstram conundrum, of which I doubt CWAK even knows how to fix. These people are the conduit to goals and wins and it seems they don't now know what the fuck to do to achieve that. If there was a demonstration to Norwood how to put a driven, aimed cross in it was given by Siggurdsun. Frankly all Richarison had to do was redirect the ball and it was causing Henderson problems. We don't do any of that, despite at times having Basham, Berge, O'Connell, Egan and McBurnie to aim at. Our path to the front two - the fists of the team - is fucking woeful now. Whereas earlier in the season we seemed so deadly down the flanks angling into the box and delivering to Lundram or Mousett, now opposition teams find it easy to keep us passing it about in the crossing zone and eventually lose it doing so. Everton did that with us today. We couldn't get it into the front two who again (in whatever combination) spent far too much fucking time fetching it from the flanks and creating outside the box than having it to feet or head in the box. The route is there - we have Fleck, Norwood, Berge - all of whom are supposedly gifted individuals but all of who can not look up and put that telling pass in (Fleck did, just the once) It fucking galled me at one stage to see David McGoldrick, one of our forwards, collecting the ball deep in our half and taking it from in front of the back three into their half, with Sander Berge casually jogging beside him, not bothering much to take players away from McG or move into free space. I also witnessed Berge jump for a ball with one of their shorter midfielders and lose, falling to the deck. He also failed to stop DCL with his post hit in the first half. Why the fuck have we bought him, anyone? If it's to add strength to our midfield then it's not what he does. If it's to add flair, then momentarily, he can show it but fuck me blink and you have missed it. If its for creativity then tell me, what has he created? One goal and (I think) one assist in twelve appearances. It's not edifying reasoning that twenty two million is well spent. No wonder Norwood - ostensibly in his position - looks comfortable.

There's another thing. Manchester United have had (I think) eleven or twelve penalties this season. Us - one. Now you can chimp about making large about big team bias, but in honesty, penalties come about largely because one of your players is fouled in the box, or your ball or intent hits the hand of an opponent - in the box. Man U have that tally because their players take the ball into the box and are mostly challenged and fouled by the opposition. We just don't do that, do we? We don't get it into the box and invite the challenge. We simply (now) faff endlessly waiting for either players to get in position (because they have been out of the box, being part of the build up solution) or simply because players seem scared to smack the ball in at any height but with pace. Anyone who has spent ninety minutes defending knows how fucking awful a cross is, hit at pace. And its a numbers game. One will find your man (obviously if he is not the one crossing or is out wide making the chance.)

Finally, once again, Norwood again is apt to chop the ball out wide - he did it twice today that I saw. Last season at BDTBL he put a ball across the park into Baldock's path that was fucking mercurial. It couldn't have been more beautiful. Baldock ran onto it and it was a 'stand up and applaud' moment. Now he hits these balls across the pitch to Stevens and Baldock which take a fucking age to drop, and invariably he now hits it with either backlift or outstep spin which basically stops the wingback in their tracks to capture the ball. Meanwhile the opposition advance and the wingback has to pass the ball backwards. Yep. Looks fucking great. Norwood looks great doing it. The ball artfully arcs through the air on camera with the decals on it slowly spinning. But it does ... nothing.

Henderson 7/10: Good stops and unlucky with the goal. We now have our final 90 minutes of free use out of this kid and fuck me are we gonna miss his athleticism, confidence and ability when he goes
Baldock 7/10: Again, energetic, aggressive and dedicated performance from George B. The marauding ventures forward though came to fuck all because no one wanted the responsibility of putting the ball in the box
Basham 7.5/10: Again, fucking no idea why he was hooked. Why not bring Jags on and stick him in midfield in Berge's position? Great player.
Egan 6.5/10: Decent performance vs DCL who looked to get the better of him at times
O'Connell 6/10: Did his best against a tricky front two. Not his best outing for us
Stevens 4.5/10: Thought he looked knackered and under confident throughout the game. Poor performance by him TBH
Berge 4.5/10: He slipping backwards now. I did think that the past few games might be showing us something but it's clear, the EPL is way above his output level
Norwood 4/10: Yup, keep 'em coming Ollie Fanclub. Pretty piss poor. That free kick he took which hit the first man as a starting point.
Osborn 7/10; Pommpey likes a trier. Okay, he's did a few iffy passes but n honesty - is Fleck 'now' any better than him?
McBurnie 5/10: No service
McGoldrick 7/10: Just for trying to do most of the team's jobs for them, especially the midfield

Sharp 6/10: Loses a point for miscontrolling our only clear chance - but again, way too far from his home in the penalty area
Fleck 5/10: Added nothing
Lundstram 5/10: Added nothing
Zivkovic 5/10: Chased about a bit, but how is he meant to make an impact pressing and closing down by the JS/SS corner flag?

Amazon Prime: 2/10: Shuddervision most of the time, and I have a decent broadband speed. My mate had Halley's Comet being kicked about on the hallowed Desso too. Fucking dismal coverage. Whoever is the producer isn't a football follower. I care not a jot to lipread Wilder for twenty long seconds, watch Walcot ambling for his shower or some mid distanced shot of Acholetti shrouded by out of focus, blurry characters, when I can hear the ball being booted about on the turf. I'd also like some captions on when players are being subbed, your amateurish shower of fucking shambolic shitheads. See Sky, BBC and BT? Watch and learn. The whole idea of you cornering their market is 'being better'. And for fuck's sake, get a co-commentator whom we can audibly decipher. This isn't the SPL whereby viewers understand the complex caledonian vernacular.

And finally, it is 'Greasy Chip Butty', not 'The Chip Butty Song'. Fucking heathens.

pommpey

Osborn 7/10 and McGoldrick 7/10 better than Norwood 4/10 and Fleck 5/10?

Like your reviews but think those are way off personally.

I literally dont think the first two did much right all game and both lucky to stay on as long as they did. Norwood was our best midfielder. He actually put in 2 or 3 great set plays and kept the ball better than most. Fleck was decent when he came on. Actually got involved and put a great pass into Sharp.

Can’t say I agree with most of whay you’ve written, but can’t disagree with most of it either, apart from the Amazon bit. They get a generous 1/10 from me, as I didn’t get any coverage until the 75th minute. Apparently they were having “issues” broadcasting to iOS devices, the fucking arseholes.
So that’s why I can’t agree or disagree, because I missed most of the bloody game.

Again, pretty grim watching after Leicester. I think we were all expecting Wilder's savaging to have had some effect and to galvanise as it had with the Wolves and later games, but it seems not.

As said, forget Euope now and congratulate Wilder, Knill, the staff and the players on what has been a fucking astounding achievement, not just avoiding instant relegation, but a high, well-deserved finish. A year ago when the programme came out and the pre-season started and the eventual signings came in, I doubt we'd have ever imagined it would turn out like this and the season would be such a fucking struggle to complete. Just say now, thanks to you Red and White Wizards.

But this match illustrated where we have to fix things for next season, not to even imagine such a high finish, but to survive season two and onwards. If it isn't pretty obvious to all that our midfield is riddled with problems, then really, I don't know what evidence you need. Again, with Norwood playing in the inverted V and again, showing off with nothing to show for it, we have what now is a worsening Berge and the Osborn/Fleck/Lundstram conundrum, of which I doubt CWAK even knows how to fix. These people are the conduit to goals and wins and it seems they don't now know what the fuck to do to achieve that. If there was a demonstration to Norwood how to put a driven, aimed cross in it was given by Siggurdsun. Frankly all Richarison had to do was redirect the ball and it was causing Henderson problems. We don't do any of that, despite at times having Basham, Berge, O'Connell, Egan and McBurnie to aim at. Our path to the front two - the fists of the team - is fucking woeful now. Whereas earlier in the season we seemed so deadly down the flanks angling into the box and delivering to Lundram or Mousett, now opposition teams find it easy to keep us passing it about in the crossing zone and eventually lose it doing so. Everton did that with us today. We couldn't get it into the front two who again (in whatever combination) spent far too much fucking time fetching it from the flanks and creating outside the box than having it to feet or head in the box. The route is there - we have Fleck, Norwood, Berge - all of whom are supposedly gifted individuals but all of who can not look up and put that telling pass in (Fleck did, just the once) It fucking galled me at one stage to see David McGoldrick, one of our forwards, collecting the ball deep in our half and taking it from in front of the back three into their half, with Sander Berge casually jogging beside him, not bothering much to take players away from McG or move into free space. I also witnessed Berge jump for a ball with one of their shorter midfielders and lose, falling to the deck. He also failed to stop DCL with his post hit in the first half. Why the fuck have we bought him, anyone? If it's to add strength to our midfield then it's not what he does. If it's to add flair, then momentarily, he can show it but fuck me blink and you have missed it. If its for creativity then tell me, what has he created? One goal and (I think) one assist in twelve appearances. It's not edifying reasoning that twenty two million is well spent. No wonder Norwood - ostensibly in his position - looks comfortable.

There's another thing. Manchester United have had (I think) eleven or twelve penalties this season. Us - one. Now you can chimp about making large about big team bias, but in honesty, penalties come about largely because one of your players is fouled in the box, or your ball or intent hits the hand of an opponent - in the box. Man U have that tally because their players take the ball into the box and are mostly challenged and fouled by the opposition. We just don't do that, do we? We don't get it into the box and invite the challenge. We simply (now) faff endlessly waiting for either players to get in position (because they have been out of the box, being part of the build up solution) or simply because players seem scared to smack the ball in at any height but with pace. Anyone who has spent ninety minutes defending knows how fucking awful a cross is, hit at pace. And its a numbers game. One will find your man (obviously if he is not the one crossing or is out wide making the chance.)

Finally, once again, Norwood again is apt to chop the ball out wide - he did it twice today that I saw. Last season at BDTBL he put a ball across the park into Baldock's path that was fucking mercurial. It couldn't have been more beautiful. Baldock ran onto it and it was a 'stand up and applaud' moment. Now he hits these balls across the pitch to Stevens and Baldock which take a fucking age to drop, and invariably he now hits it with either backlift or outstep spin which basically stops the wingback in their tracks to capture the ball. Meanwhile the opposition advance and the wingback has to pass the ball backwards. Yep. Looks fucking great. Norwood looks great doing it. The ball artfully arcs through the air on camera with the decals on it slowly spinning. But it does ... nothing.

Henderson 7/10: Good stops and unlucky with the goal. We now have our final 90 minutes of free use out of this kid and fuck me are we gonna miss his athleticism, confidence and ability when he goes
Baldock 7/10: Again, energetic, aggressive and dedicated performance from George B. The marauding ventures forward though came to fuck all because no one wanted the responsibility of putting the ball in the box
Basham 7.5/10: Again, fucking no idea why he was hooked. Why not bring Jags on and stick him in midfield in Berge's position? Great player.
Egan 6.5/10: Decent performance vs DCL who looked to get the better of him at times
O'Connell 6/10: Did his best against a tricky front two. Not his best outing for us
Stevens 4.5/10: Thought he looked knackered and under confident throughout the game. Poor performance by him TBH
Berge 4.5/10: He slipping backwards now. I did think that the past few games might be showing us something but it's clear, the EPL is way above his output level
Norwood 4/10: Yup, keep 'em coming Ollie Fanclub. Pretty piss poor. That free kick he took which hit the first man as a starting point.
Osborn 7/10; Pommpey likes a trier. Okay, he's did a few iffy passes but n honesty - is Fleck 'now' any better than him?
McBurnie 5/10: No service
McGoldrick 7/10: Just for trying to do most of the team's jobs for them, especially the midfield

Sharp 6/10: Loses a point for miscontrolling our only clear chance - but again, way too far from his home in the penalty area
Fleck 5/10: Added nothing
Lundstram 5/10: Added nothing
Zivkovic 5/10: Chased about a bit, but how is he meant to make an impact pressing and closing down by the JS/SS corner flag?

Amazon Prime: 2/10: Shuddervision most of the time, and I have a decent broadband speed. My mate had Halley's Comet being kicked about on the hallowed Desso too. Fucking dismal coverage. Whoever is the producer isn't a football follower. I care not a jot to lipread Wilder for twenty long seconds, watch Walcot ambling for his shower or some mid distanced shot of Acholetti shrouded by out of focus, blurry characters, when I can hear the ball being booted about on the turf. I'd also like some captions on when players are being subbed, your amateurish shower of fucking shambolic shitheads. See Sky, BBC and BT? Watch and learn. The whole idea of you cornering their market is 'being better'. And for fuck's sake, get a co-commentator whom we can audibly decipher. This isn't the SPL whereby viewers understand the complex caledonian vernacular.

And finally, it is 'Greasy Chip Butty', not 'The Chip Butty Song'. Fucking heathens.

pommpey
Good report there but just a tip about Amazon Prime if you want a completely shudder free experience to watch Amazon don’t bother with a fire stick or a fire box get Apple TV 4th generation (4k) load the Amazon app on to the Apple TV and your problems are gone forever Amazon rating on Apple T V 9/10 (because nothing’s perfect) Incidentally I watched some of the build up on the Amazon Firebox Just to see what it was like and Yep agree some issues there but Apple TV flawless ....after all you only get what you pay for

Some reasonable points in and amongst the anger and histrionics, but also some clearly OTT reactionary points.

Everyone with eyes and a brain can see our deficiencies and where we need to improve next season, clearly the transition from midfield to attack and chance creation will be a focus - something Wilder specifically called out in his post match.

We play a distinct way which creates overloads out wide and allows us to maintain a shape and be solid at the back. Our final ball or finishing ability clearly let us down. We also lack something of a plan B, and when teams nullify our threat we look quite toothless going forward.

A midfield 3 of Norwood, Berge and Osborn isnt creative, dynamic nor attacking and expecting this output from them is a fools errand.

Take a deep breathe, take a step back and enjoy this season for what it's been and thats a spectacular over achievement.

I felt that CW went a bit far with criticism after Leicester. Just seen his post match from last night, maybe he feels same. 1st half, the players looked scared of the ball. Had to have it but got rid sharpish.
Everton weren't great and looked like they came to not lose. Nicked a goal.
Been a good season all in all. Don't lose at Mary's and we'll all feel a lot better.

Before my mate told me it was on Amazon Prime I was listening to Five Live radio commentary.
The dickhead commentator made comments about Jack O`connell and his helper asked where we got him from?
Ah yes, I know that ! he says..... I think it was Rochdale!!!!!
Wanker

I'm not a man that wants much but whoever's signed Berge for that money needs taking to Saudi Arabia and beheading.😉

Agree with some of that but the marks for Sharp and Didzy are ludicrously high. Neither of them did anything of note.

Norwood's set pieces were good yesterday, McCoist made a point of it throughout the match.

Listen to the Bladespod episode that Blades Analytics appeared on when we signed Berge. He was loved by the scouts as a press breaker - someone who can keep the ball comfortably while getting pressed and has the control and power to drive past pressing players to break the press.

Man U get loads of pens because they have players who are incredibly quick with incredibly quick feet (Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood etc). They get paid 10x what we can afford.

Agree about Amazon Prime, constant 20 second shots of a players face whilst the action is going on - abysmal.

Fleck improved us when he came on His first movement is forward and he does look to drive forward I agree if he went that bit further we might get a few penalties. Fleck played the ball through to sharpe when he should have at least got a shot away Where I do agree with the OP is that when teams get in front and sit back we struggle We need alternatives, so teams don’t know how we will play It can’t always be overloads out wide. Hate him but a Richarlason type nasty player would be great but not one that plays once in every five games Moose hasn’t kicked on I see him out on loan next January if he doesn’t step up early season

I'm in the minority that thought Amazon's coverage was good. They seemed to take a more continental style to the camerawork, which I thought was fine for a change.

Hmm. Felt Norwood did well in spells and was the only player willing to make anything approaching a risky pass. Albeit some of those didn't come off but I can applaud him for having the balls to get on the ball.

Osborn had a bit of a shocker at times. Tried his utmost which is always going to be his thing. Fleck was 100% better when he came on though and he keeps the ball better in tight situations - Osborn was too easily closed down and forced into bad decisions yesterday.

Berge has gone from being an amazing young prospect and a real coup when we signed him, to being disappointing and over-priced half a dozen games later, back to being amazing and a star in the making after the Spurs and Chelsea games and now he’s slipped back being disappointing and over-priced again.

Clearly I’ve got absolutely no idea how good or bad he will be, but I do think the lad needs more than 12 games to prove himself before people start casting judgement one way or the other.

Osborn 7! He was shocking last night and Fleck was a noticeable big improvement when he came on. I sometimes wonder what game you were watching

Osborn 7! He was shocking last night and Fleck was a noticeable big improvement when he came on. I sometimes wonder what game you were watching

Bit harsh saying Osborn was shocking. I'd prefer to say he was Ok but did very little looking forward or wanting to get forward. Osborn is a "safe" footballer - he plays easy balls which is what a lot of us originally said about Lundstram. Playing as easy ball is........easy - good footballers (like FLeck) look to make something happen - a prime example was Flecks fantastic ball in to Billy which he mis-controlled just inside the Everton box. Lunny has also become very safe since his tantrums after Berge came and he was in effect relegated to the subs bench.

Osborn has generally done ok since he came in - Everton got in our faces last night and it's where we struggle, with players like Osborn struggling more than others.

UTB

Bit harsh saying Osborn was shocking. I'd prefer to say he was Ok but did very little looking forward or wanting to get forward. Osborn is a "safe" footballer - he plays easy balls which is what a lot of us originally said about Lundstram. Playing as easy ball is........easy - good footballers (like FLeck) look to make something happen - a prime example was Flecks fantastic ball in to Billy which he mis-controlled just inside the Everton box. Lunny has also become very safe since his tantrums after Berge came and he was in effect relegated to the subs bench.

Osborn has generally done ok since he came in - Everton got in our faces last night and it's where we struggle, with players like Osborn struggling more than others.

UTB
Bit harsh fair enough. He was awesome in those 3 home games and wasnt bad against leicester but last night was his worse game by far. Gave ball away in bad positions and didnt want to go forward.

Always amuses me how loads of people can watch the same game but see different things. Bit like witnesses to incidents seeing different things.
I thought Norwood was ok. Anticipated and intercepted the Everton passes a number of times and I thought his set piece delivery was fine. Berge not his best game but looks strong on the ball and more than once just muscled someone off the ball. Osborn I thought was the midfield weak link last night and while not up to his earlier season heights Fleck did improve us. We do lack an incisive player in midfield but having said that if Billy could have collected the pass from Fleck that would have maybe looked different.

I think we have become a bit “safe” in our play and need to take a few more higher risk options at times but if they do please start to do that please remember we’ve complained about them not taking more risks so when on occasions it does go wrong cut them some slack.

That said only my opinion.

Not sure how you’ve arrived at your scores for Norwood and Osborn?

Osborn looked lost, I can’t even remember him making a good tackle, never mind pass, 5/10 for me.

Norwood played a couple of blind balls that were poor and got booked softly. Apart from that he was ok, 6/10 for me.

Back
Top Bottom