Memries of Brentford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Right, another weekend of perfect football weather wasted on the utterly-pointless ‘international breaks’. Back to the real stuff…
upload_2018-3-26_10-5-9.png

At the start of this season, I hadn’t started doing the ‘Memries of…’ so it’s a bit more work for me. Enjoy! So here we go, back where we started our Championship adventure and a game against Brentford.

The Bees – like The Blades – were founded in 1889, but we didn’t meet until December 22nd, 1934 when United lost 1-2 in Division Two. We have never met in the FA Cup and only once in the League Cup (26th September, 1962) when United won 4-1 at Brentford.

Since 1904, Brentford have played their home games at Griffin Park in the London Borough of Hounslow. The ground gets its name from the griffin, featured in the logo of Fuller's Brewery, which at one point owned the orchard on which the stadium was built.

After many years delay, the final construction of The Brentford Community Stadium – a 17,250 capacity ground located on Lionel Road near Kew Bridge was due to start in 2018.

This season kicked off our return to The Championship in glorious sunshine with a 1-0 home win against The Bees. This was the highest level at which the two clubs have ever met.

In an incident-packed game, United hit the woodwork twice, had two goals disallowed, saw an incredible triple miss by Brentford and Billy Sharp score the only goal in front of 26,746 fans.

To date, our League results against Brentford read:

Home: P: 15 W: 5 D: 6 L: 4 F: 25 A: 19

Away: P: 14 W: 4 D: 2 L: 8 F: 18 A: 24

Recent-ish results against The Bees:

upload_2018-3-26_10-6-12.png
Full history v Brentford

Although a midweek 0-0 draw at home to Brentford on 1st April, 2014 in Division One may not get the pulses racing, it was memorable for one incident. At the kop end, Kieron Freeman made a clean challenge to win the ball from an attacking Potter. The ref. thought differently and produced a red card for Freeman, failed to give a resultant penalty and – after consulting the lineman – reversed the red card decision and gave a drop-ball which United didn’t contest and the clearly-disgusted Brentford player slammed the ball into the advertising hoardings at the kop end. Our team that night included Jose Baxter, John Brayford, Conor Coady and Jamie Murphy.

Equally controversial was a game at Bramall Lane – again in League One – on 16th April 2013 where the Blades and Bees shared the points in a 2-2 draw. There were 3 red cards ... 4 penalties ...2 missed ... 11 yellow cards ... and it wasn’t even a dirty game ...(sorry, I can’t find a video with all the goals and incidents). The first goal was a penalty when United’s keeper George Long brought down Brentford striker Clayton Donaldson. After conceding this penalty and going 0-1 down, United equalized with a penalty of their own to make it 1-1 and, on the 68th minute, Harry Maguire put the Blades 2-1 in front. Look out for fleeting appearances from Jessica Ennis and Bees goalkeeper Simon Moore making two great saves from Kevin McDonald and Michael Doyle.

Teams from that match:
upload_2018-3-26_10-8-15.png

Finally, my abiding Memrie of games against Brentford came in the home match on 22nd April, 1989. Just a week earlier – on 15th April – was the Hillsborough Disaster where Sheffield Wednesday, the FA, SYPD and some Liverpool fans conspired to send 96 fellow fans to an early grave. The atmosphere before our game was funereal and one of the last songs to be played on the PA before kick-off was Everything But The Girl’s ‘I Don’t Want To Talk About It’. I don’t think I was the only lad on the kop who wept unashamedly. This third-tier game ended 2-2, but I don’t think anybody cared:

Form guide

Incredibly, Brentford are below us in the form guide based on the last six league games - having accrued just seven points out of an available 18. However, both the Blades and Bees (see what I did there?) are handily-placed to mount a late push into the play-off places.

upload_2018-3-26_10-9-27.png

Full Championship form guide

Championship table

Since being promoted from Division One to the Championship in 2013/14 (runners-up to champions Wolves – the Blades finished 7th under Clough), Brentford have been solid contenders finishing tenth last season, ninth the season before and fifth in the 2014/15 season. However a policy of selling their better players and being overtaken by the big-spending clubs has seen a relatively-poor performance this season.

upload_2018-3-26_10-13-3.png

Full Championship table

Men to watch

upload_2018-3-26_10-13-31.png

Ollie Watkins is exactly the kind of player we should be looking to sign in order to progress further. Signed by Brentford from Exeter City last July for £1.8m, he is currently the subject of interest from Bournemouth in a possible £6m move. While £6m may seem fanciful to some Blades fans, this is the kind of fees we’ll have to find. However, there’s no way we can/would want to match the wages Bournemouth could offer.

upload_2018-3-26_10-13-56.png
Definitely missing for Brentford will be Romaine Sawyers who was sent off in the home game v Middlesbrough on 17th March.

22nd October 1979 I was there. My only trip to watch the Blades at Brentford.

This season kicked off our return to The Championship in glorious sunshine with a 1-0 home win against The Bees. This was the highest level at which the two clubs have ever met.

Not quite: we did actually meet them in the top flight in 1946-7, which was Brentford's last season in the top division to date.

Away in Bassett's first season, we'd scored 4 at home on the previous Saturday, 6 midweek (Agana and Deane hatttricks) went down there scored 4 again and Simon Webster had a very anonymous Bob Booker in his pocket.

Great away day when we beat them 2-0 in 2012, with Evans scoring twice and everything seeming very rosy in the sunshine...

The atmosphere was excellent on the terrace and I remember Danny Wilson having a small smile on his face as he walked off the field in front of us with "he used to be shite, but now he's alright" ringing out.

Evans' second came after the Brentford keeper sliced a goalkick straight to him, and he ran in and scored. I just looked the game up and was surprised to see that the keeper in question was none other than our very own Simon Moore!

Away in Bassett's first season, we'd scored 4 at home on the previous Saturday, 6 midweek (Agana and Deane hatttricks) went down there scored 4 again and Simon Webster had a very anonymous Bob Booker in his pocket.
Attended that game .... It wern't long after this we signed Booker ..... first thoughts were ... I don't remember that fucker

Quite clearly Basset did, probably the Beer was the difference

Great away day when we beat them 2-0 in 2012, with Evans scoring twice and everything seeming very rosy in the sunshine...

The atmosphere was excellent on the terrace and I remember Danny Wilson having a small smile on his face as he walked off the field in front of us with "he used to be shite, but now he's alright" ringing out.

Evans' second came after the Brentford keeper sliced a goalkick straight to him, and he ran in and scored. I just looked the game up and was surprised to see that the keeper in question was none other than our very own Simon Moore!

Remember that one. A proper party atmosphere, promotion was a foregone conclusion, "He'll shag who he wants" sung for much of the ninety minutes, what could possibly go wrong?

Was that the one were that poor old lad passed away at ,
If so was at that game myself Neuschwanstein ,
You might have seen me at half time been walked across the pitch from there Kop ,
Bringing us all back for our names and addresses ,
Then in to school , lucky enough our coach came down City road way ,
so home to Norfolk park , then into Norfolk Comp .

You might have seen me at half time been walked across the pitch from there Kop ,
I was with you on the pitch at HT. You just didn't know it, I was there with some Shiregreen lads.

We had this 4 game spell:

17 September: United 6 Chester 1
20 September: United 4 Northampton 0
24 September: Brentford 1 United 4
27 September: United 3 Newcastle 0 (league cup)

Good times.

We had this 4 game spell:

17 September: United 6 Chester 1
20 September: United 4 Northampton 0
24 September: Brentford 1 United 4
27 September: United 3 Newcastle 0 (league cup)

Good times.
Memory playing tricks then, always thought Chester was the midweek game not Northampton

I think our opening (home) game post relegation was against Brentford (2011-12) - Memries of Jordan Slew scoring the opener in a 2-0 win and telling my brother that he was going to be a great player :eek:

Yep, Bourne scored and Sheeps Arse saved a penalty preserving the win.

Was on "mornings", left work at two, straight to catch coach, left the area after the match with no bother only to be corralled somewhere near Luton and returned to Brentford for questioning about "an incident", returned to Sheffield and was late for my 6am start. Some night trip!

I remember the home game the week after the Hillsborough disaster. The only time I've ever known both teams walk out in complete silence. Our fans sang 'Liverpool' and 'You'll Never Walk Alone', although we used to sing the latter song regularly in the 80s.

So was I. We were stopped at Watford Gap by Police and taken back to London for questioning. This followed the death of a Brentford fan who was hit by a large stone thrown, it turned out, by one of his fellow supporters.

I wasn't there but remember the incident. It was mentioned on the news that a football supporter had been killed in trouble following the Brentford Sheffield United game. It turned out that the elderly gentleman suffered a heart attack after being caught up in stone throwing incident. The Star covered the arrival of Blades supporters coaches back at Bramall Lane in the early morning. I think it was a Monday night game for some reason unusual back then.

Just about to set off. I don't think it'll be an easy game, they can basically say good bye to the hopes they had of the play-offs so maybe the pressure is off them. Some interest games at the top end today, could see us sneak in although I'd say Bristol would beat Barnsley

Back
Top Bottom