Do you trust Wilder to rebuild the squad?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do you trust Wilder with the rebuild?

• Yes

Votes: 183 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 241 56.8%

• Total voters
I didn’t really want Wilder back. We can’t know that only he would have been capable of making the (very marginal) improvements we’ve seen since Hecky was sacked. And I’m not at all sure that he‘s the right man for next season.

But equally, I don’t think it’s fair to assess his ability to do the job that needs doing now, at Utd, on the basis of what he’s done in recent years, where the contexts have been very different.

He didn’t have a major squad rebuild on his hands at Boro. At Watford he had a largely impossible holding brief. And, while we obviously had some churn when he was here between 2017/18 and 2020/21, it wasn’t on anything like the scale of what’s required now—which is far more akin to the wholesale reinvention we needed, and that he carried out, in 2016/17.

The game has moved on, tho, even at Champ level, and is it realistic to judge his current fitness for next season’s job on what he did 8 years ago? In a lower league? Does he still have an eye for a player, and for a blend of players, for this level? Will players and their agents still view him favourably? Does he have the energy, patience, pragmatism, and ambition, needed for a big rebuild?

That’s before we talk about the cash that he won’t have. So 🤷‍♂️

It‘s a great opportunity for the right man. The mother of all poisoned chalices for the wrong un.

GLTTL, I guess.

My biggest fear is that we have a shit start and are bottom third after 15-20 games. Wilder is sacked, (or he walks again) but he has saddled us with a load of dross players in the summer.....all British of course....

He is a good lower league Manager who had a purple patch when he hit upon a system that was different and it worked.....until it was sussed out....and we still have the legacy of that system now, but with worse players.....

He did nothing at Boro, nothing at Watford and the square root of fuck all since coming back to BDTBL, (apart from blame everyone but himself)....can't you see what's happening people....history is repeating from his last exit.

If we give Wilder the summer to rebuild and he fucks it up, (which he will) it could put is back years.

Get shot now before it is too late.

So CWAK are astute enough tactically and are able to motivate the squad
What about the 2nd half capitulations? That points to a completely demotivated set of players.

Being so shite in the 2nd half of games also shows a lack of tactical awareness. I’m not sure that only being half decent for half a game is a good tactic.

What about the 2nd half capitulations? That points to a completely demotivated set of players.

Being so shite in the 2nd half of games also shows a lack of tactical awareness. I’m not sure that only being half decent for half a game is a good tactic.

For me that points to a set of spineless wankers stealing a wage. Fuck me, poor darlings down tools every time the big boys take their ball off them and are absolved of blame because they aren't good enough. Good enough or not, a highly trained, highly paid professional athlete shouldn't need Chris Wilder or anyone else motivating them, they should have enough pride in what they do to dig in and fight. Winners win, losers play for Sheffield United and hide behind the manager. Wankers.

For me that points to a set of spineless wankers stealing a wage. Fuck me, poor darlings down tools every time the big boys take their ball off them and are absolved of blame because they aren't good enough. Good enough or not, a highly trained, highly paid professional athlete shouldn't need Chris Wilder or anyone else motivating them, they should have enough pride in what they do to dig in and fight. Winners win, losers play for Sheffield United and hide behind the manager. Wankers.
Demotivated wankers, even worse.

You specially said recent signings…

His record at Boro was also excellent.
At Boro he signed Riley McGree in the January, who’s a decent player. Missed out on the Play Offs on the final day.

He then had Spence and Tavernier sold off.

He bought in Forss (CF), Clarke (LCB), Lenihan (CB), Mowatt (LCM), Stefan (GK), Muniz (CF), Giles (LWB).

I’d be relatively happy to have made that caliber of signings.

Demotivated wankers, even worse.

So they're getting paid way more than 20 grand a week and they can't motivate themselves? Aww bless, poor little minnows need wrapping in cotton wool and petted every two minutes to let them know how precious they are. Fuck that, if you can't motivate yourself against the best the Premier League has to offer maybe they should get a job in the perfume department at Debenhams.

At Boro he signed Riley McGree in the January, who’s a decent player. Missed out on the Play Offs on the final day.

He then had Spence and Tavernier sold off.

He bought in Forss (CF), Clarke (LCB), Lenihan (CB), Mowatt (LCM), Stefan (GK), Muniz (CF), Giles (LWB).

I’d be relatively happy to have made that caliber of signings.
I have said this before but get shot down.

He also brought back Akpom from his loan spell at Panithaikos. A bit like OB bringing him back and turning him into a player by giving him some confidence.

I forgot about the others he recruited but it doesn’t really get much better than that in terms of recruitment.

If you like Yes.

Or you could say the Prince has got us all by the bollox.

I’d love to know how Wilders return came about, because I suspect our owner realised pretty quickly he couldn’t afford any other option but to invite Wilder in.

Whatever happens next season the path has been laid in December last year.
We’ve already had quoted “it’s 2-4 transfer windows to put this right” (I think it was without checking) so the timescales have been given. And that will suit our owner fine as he can’t afford otherwise!

which other manager puts their reputation and career on the line for this club under circumstances where a major rebuild is needed but you still have to sell players and look to the free and loan market, while also operating a wage structure from the bottom half of your future division? Name one…because I think you’ll struggle to find one the fans would support and is likely to have the ability to do it.

Honestly, I think we will be shite next season…we will struggle from the off. But Wilder will probably keep us up in the end. And I suspect that is acceptable to the owner, so unless we are as bad as this season next season come February I see him here til the end of next season at least.

By then we need to hope we find a reputable new owner, other wise it’ll be more of the same.

I’m hoping Wilder does have more strings to his bow and will prove me and many others wrong, that’s all I have to cling to with this shit show at the moment.
You say 2-4 windows but how many windows did the managers of Leicester, Southampton and Leeds need?

One went up automatic and the other two are in the Play Offs.

McKenna hasn’t been at Ipswich thet long. Not sure I would have taken many of their players to be quite frank.

It will all depend on how much Wilder has already learned, how much backing he needs and gets and how decisive we can be. Below the top 4 there is a lot of shit in the Championship.

You say 2-4 windows but how many windows did the managers of Leicester, Southampton and Leeds need?

McKenna hasn’t been at Ipswich thet long. Not sure I would have taken many of their players to be quite frank.

It will all depend on how much Wilder has already learned, how much backing he needs and gets and how decisive we can be. Below the top 4 there is a lot of shit in the Championship.
Leeds and Southampton’s teams are considerably better than ours. Their bench players would start for us in the PL.

Leeds kept a majority of their stars.

We sold ours soon as we got to the PL.

We aren’t in the same stratosphere as these clubs. Wilder did it like McKenna on a budget and then we went down with a dream team.

Now it’s starting at square one again.

I don’t see us getting promoted for a while yet unless we make some big investments.

My view is we need stability. If wilder went, we'd leave it far too long to replace and it'd be a complete shambles.

Not my quote, think it was Wilder who stated it.
He may have said that because to be quite frank he knows full well the scale of the problem and that we won’t be simply spending our way to a resolution quick time. Likely more of the same clusterfuck management of transfers and therefore expects it to be slow and therefore set a realistic target of 2-4 windows to manage the fans expectations a little.

So they're getting paid way more than 20 grand a week and they can't motivate themselves? Aww bless, poor little minnows need wrapping in cotton wool and petted every two minutes to let them know how precious they are. Fuck that, if you can't motivate yourself against the best the Premier League has to offer maybe they should get a job in the perfume department at Debenhams.
The £20k a week is industry standard so it’s largely irrelevant.

If I was getting £20k a week for my job I’d skip to work every day, they are just getting a footballers salary and footballers can be demotivated.

I get the lack of sympathy given the ridiculous sums paid to poorly performing footballers, however they need motivating to think that they can compete with players earning 10x what they do. Wilder is failing to do this and the results show it.

I'm very much looking forward to a break from United this summer and just enjoying the Euros but I'm quite excited about the prospect of a rebuild.

There's obviously a lot of risk and I think it'll be Wilder's biggest test since he first came in but there's also huge potential for the team to look much better next season.

Summer 2016: 12 first team players were released and we got fees for Adams and DCL plus Ramsdale in Jan.

Wilder took us from this... (sorry for any painful memories this image drags up)
1715269346863.png

...to this in one summer (+Hanson & Carruthers in Jan)
1715269603302.png

Will be a tough job but I'd back him to be looking for the right kind of players and to create a solid side for next season

Attachments

• 1715269417955.png
    1715269417955.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 3

the 2nd half more about stamina and squad size?

Back
Top Bottom