Diego de Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've never liked "the narrative" that Diego somehow lost his way, did something wrong, had a problem. This season, SUFC U23s used well over 40 players. Most of them have no chance of making it in professional football. The numbers are insane. A lot of Academy players, very few first team squad places. Diego just wasn't good enough. Like hundreds & hundreds of others. Who most of us can't name. Diego isn't a villain. He's a kid who didn't make it.

Fair enough but he was a bit different to the 40 or so odd players used this year.

A mate was a pal of Pembo's, while he was at our academy. Pemberton regularly used to say that DDG was the best 14 year old he had EVER seen, anywhere. Praise indeed from someone with a decent standing in youth football.

Roll forward a few years and I knew one of the backroom staff at the Lane when DDG was in the first team squad. He said he was a decent lad but completely obsessed about being a footballer. He didn't give a toss about schoolwork or anything else, he just knew he'd make it as a player. He had family round him saying the same thing and approaches from outside also blowing smoke up his arse. He got the fancy number plate and Clough went barmy, correctly pointing out that he wasn't yet the
superstar he thought.

CrookesBlade is right that the injury derailed him, but he was absolutely not the same as the 40 lads you've watched this year.

Do you think his bad knee injury had a big effect on his career? Perhaps he would’ve gone further if it’d never happened?
Very difficult to say. Obvs it won't have helped. I probably lean towards - the injury was a clear setback, but I doubt it derailed his career. The end of the day - he didn't have what it takes. One of thousands

Fair enough but he was a bit different to the 40 or so odd players used this year.

A mate was a pal of Pembo's, while he was at our academy. Pemberton regularly used to say that DDG was the best 14 year old he had EVER seen, anywhere. Praise indeed from someone with a decent standing in youth football.

Roll forward a few years and I knew one of the backroom staff at the Lane when DDG was in the first team squad. He said he was a decent lad but completely obsessed about being a footballer. He didn't give a toss about schoolwork or anything else, he just knew he'd make it as a player. He had family round him saying the same thing and approaches from outside also blowing smoke up his arse. He got the fancy number plate and Clough went barmy, correctly pointing out that he wasn't yet the
superstar he thought.

CrookesBlade is right that the injury derailed him, but he was absolutely not the same as the 40 lads you've watched this year.
I'm not sure we're disagreeing are we? I've often said that Diego was the most exciting lad I've ever seen at the Academy. I was asked for an opinion about Brooks for The Star. "Is he the best you've seen" I said no, that's Diego - (I asked Danny not to print that). But, he is the same as the many, many others who hadn't, ultimately, got what it takes. I know you're not painting it this way - but I am going to say - the reason he didn't make it is NOT because he had a personalised plate. Anyway why didn't Saint Wilder who can't be faulted, sort it out - he's failed Diego, you, me & the club with his give up too soon attitude.......

I should coco
I'll also point out that the 40+ players I've seen for the U23s this season include Callum Gribbin. Manchester United had to persuade him to stay with them after Liverpool tried to poach him & he lit up the UEFA Youth League. Outside of the Sheffield Village Bubble, there was far more hype about Callum than Diego. Maybe Callum will make it with Second Chance Sheffield United, maybe not.

He went to school with my other half, was apparently an arrogant twat even at 14/15.

Also heard a rumour a few times now that his Dad went in & had an argument with Clough about playing Diego, which resulted in Clough basically telling him to fuck off. Can't vouch for the accuracy of that but a lot of people my age know Diego personally, due to him being something of a C-list celebrity in Chesterfield.

There's one thing that often gets overlooked in these scenarios and that's the influence of sheer luck. Right place, right time - and conversely, wrong place, wrong time. People talk of the fairytales like Jamie Vardy but there's a big chunk of "wrong place, wrong time" in his career. He didn't deserve to be released by Wednesday, but somebody with not much between the ears deemed him "too small". The fairytale aspect is simply that he carried on working hard until people noticed. Same with Warnock / Blackwell and Billy Sharp. A better setup with better people around him and he'd have had a Premier League career, I've no doubt about that. Fine margins all over the place in this game.

He was briefly a member of the same Italy u20 squad as Alessio Gragno, Pierluigi Gollini, Francesco Vicari, Roberto Gagliardini, Alberto Grassi and Andrea Petagna. That's about £100m of talent.

Played at Buxton this season In northern prem (Finished 18th) scored 27 goals in 31 appearances. Not sure if he’s their next Season though. Still not sure what happened to him, seemed like he had the world at his feet early on, however, football is littered with players like this - Micheal Johnson, Jose Baxter, Nile Ranger, Ravel Morrison, Freddy Adu, Roysten Drenthe, John Bostock, Gavin Hoyte these are just examples of players over the last decade or so, I’m sure their many more over the years that lost their way.

Billy Kenny, the Goodison Gazza

I'm not sure we're disagreeing are we?

No we aren't, but I was trying to make the point that at the time, DDG really was something special. You obviously agree.

but I am going to say - the reason he didn't make it is NOT because he had a personalised plate. Anyway why didn't Saint Wilder who can't be faulted, sort it out - he's failed Diego, you, me & the club with his give up too soon attitude.......

The plate was more a pointer to his attitude, and family etc as others above have indicated.

I don't know if he played for CW while on loan at Northampton but if so, maybe he'd seen enough of his attitude. CW is not a miracle worker, as evidenced with Ravel Morrison. If DDG didn't want to work in the way CW required, then he'd have a pretty short future.

BTW, the 'Saint Wilder' thing is a bit daft. Of course he can be wrong and by all accounts he can be a right twat with those who don't toe the line. it doesn't stop him being a good manager though and I'd have thought the fantastic last 4 year years might merit a bit more gratitude but each to his own.

No we aren't, but I was trying to make the point that at the time, DDG really was something special. You obviously agree.

The plate was more a pointer to his attitude, and family etc as others above have indicated.

I don't know if he played for CW while on loan at Northampton but if so, maybe he'd seen enough of his attitude. CW is not a miracle worker, as evidenced with Ravel Morrison. If DDG didn't want to work in the way CW required, then he'd have a pretty short future.

BTW, the 'Saint Wilder' thing is a bit daft. Of course he can be wrong and by all accounts he can be a right twat with those who don't toe the line. it doesn't stop him being a good manager though and I'd have thought the fantastic last 4 year years might merit a bit more gratitude but each to his own.
Yes. But I can't resist ripping a little bit of the piss out of the Wilder Cult. Don't mean it. I agree with you, the patterns he puts the cones out for the warm up are superb. (Smiley face thingy)

As it happens I have a FIRST HAND ACCOUNT story about Diego's Dad. I was stood alongside him on the Shirecliffe Touchline in 2014. He was discussing going to the 2014 Brazil World Cup as a spectator with his mate. Following Italy, using his contacts to get tickets, etc. Now, I'm an England fan, and I was also going to be in Brazil. So, I thought I'd prick my ears. Particularly as England & Italy were in the same group. Maybe if Diego Sr let enough slip, I'd get a chance to sling a plastic chair at him across the main square in Manaus. I began to doubt his plans when his mate asked him how he'd get from Rio to Manaus for the Italy v England game. "Don't know, hire a car I suppose".

Mate, that's a 62 hour drive.....

I should coco
I'll also point out that the 40+ players I've seen for the U23s this season include Callum Gribbin. Manchester United had to persuade him to stay with them after Liverpool tried to poach him & he lit up the UEFA Youth League. Outside of the Sheffield Village Bubble, there was far more hype about Callum than Diego. Maybe Callum will make it with Second Chance Sheffield United, maybe not.

Gribbin appeared a little uninterested at times when I saw him, but his skill on the ball was superb. Really hope he can make it.

Gribbin appeared a little uninterested at times when I saw him, but his skill on the ball was superb. Really hope he can make it.
I know what you mean. He's just an easy player. Time to do what he wants. He didn't seem to hurt teams enough for me. Too often just moving the ball on. Rather than taking hold of the game & making something happen. He's got one of them built in radars. Looking all around him. All the time. So, he knows where the space is. Couple that with great skill & he's got a great base to build from. If I was cutting him slack. I'd say - at times he looks uninterested because he's so loose & easy on the ball.
But, I know what you mean

As it happens I have a FIRST HAND ACCOUNT story about Diego's Dad. I was stood alongside him on the Shirecliffe Touchline in 2014. He was discussing going to the 2014 Brazil World Cup as a spectator with his mate. Following Italy, using his contacts to get tickets, etc. Now, I'm an England fan, and I was also going to be in Brazil. So, I thought I'd prick my ears. Particularly as England & Italy were in the same group. Maybe if Diego Sr let enough slip, I'd get a chance to sling a plastic chair at him across the main square in Manaus. I began to doubt his plans when his mate asked him how he'd get from Rio to Manaus for the Italy v England game. "Don't know, hire a car I suppose".

That’s the content I’m here for.

I should coco
He won't. He's been released.

And if you have every been to Brazil you will know there are two rules:
1 - Never wear jewellery
2 - Never hire a car

Anyway why didn't Saint Wilder who can't be faulted, sort it out - he's failed Diego, you, me & the club with his give up too soon attitude.......
Or more accurately, if Saint Wilder couldn't sort it out, what hope have the mere mortals got?

The apple never falls far from the tree Meaning

:cool:

He was never detined to make it, his middle name is Raymond. That doesn't work on any level.

I liked Diego De Juve. And Pinchy.

Whatever happened to him?

Does he still post on here under another name?

Was he really pork, and decided to pack in here because SUFC took off like a rocket with CW and AK on board, leaving the pigs way behind?

Does anyone on here actually know him in the real world?

I often pictured him sat by a roaring fire, smartly dressed (checked trousers, never jeans), v-neck golfing jumper, shirt, cravat, smoking a pipe, with a glass of red wine in hand, saying "...no, no no, please not more talk of Dinosaur Dave and Little Louis, too much cap doffing going on here....."

And if you have every been to Brazil you will know there are two rules:
1 - Never wear jewellery
2 - Never hire a car

Never go on the beach in Rio, stay on the promenade. And if you are going out to dinner in Rio, ask the hotel front desk to call you taxi, even if the restaurant is a two minute walk away.

I personally didn't like him although i was initially excited when he came through, the social media stuff he did around the time was frankly embarrassing and it was hard to garner any sympathy for him when he kicking off on social media rather than knuckling down and cracking on with keeping his nut down and working hard to making it.

He finds himself where he finds himself, he isn't our problem or any issue for us, maybe it is telling that when we installed a manager who will have known the scene around United inside out, he was on the list of released players who got shifted out of the club with immediate effect.

I've seen plenty of supremely gifted youngsters drift away from the game not making anything of the talents they was given, whilst plenty of less talented players go on and enjoy superb careers as Professional Footballers. Why Diego didn't make it is his question, not ours

Never go on the beach in Rio, stay on the promenade. And if you are going out to dinner in Rio, ask the hotel front desk to call you taxi, even if the restaurant is a two minute walk away.
In fairness, we felt very safe walking around Rio although we did keep in the main tourist areas but the tube and everything were fine. Didn't go on Copacabana as it was packed although did walk along the promenade. Went on Ipanema with no problems.

Or more accurately, if Saint Wilder couldn't sort it out, what hope have the mere mortals got?
FFS Mate. I strongly suggest you delete that post. I'm sure I must have misread it. You appear to be suggesting there is something the Great Cone Putter Outer cannot sort out. It's too late for me. But, you could still save yourself.

In fairness, we felt very safe walking around Rio although we did keep in the main tourist areas but the tube and everything were fine. Didn't go on Copacabana as it was packed although did walk along the promenade. Went on Ipanema with no problems.

Didn't go, we flew to Salvador and went to a beach resort down that neck of the woods. Travelled around that area.

There was a three day trip to Rio, but the kids were younger and just wanted to stay put. The tourist company told us the do's and don'ts (when we were deciding whether to go or not), and it included the things I mentioned.

A number of couples from our hotel went, three of them got into problems.

One couple were on the promenade, overlooking Copacabana Beach, looked great, warm afternoon, they wandered onto the beach, a gang of little kids surrounded them, all smiling and laughing and saying, "ice cream, please, ice scream", with their hands out. The minute the bloke thought it was fine, and gave them all some dollars, the little kids ran straight over to a gang of older lads, said something, and then suddenly the older lads (all about 16-18 years old) came over and surrounded them, menacing look on their face, hands out, saying "ice cream.......", pretty much emptied the blokes wallet and took his watch.

Another two couples went out to dinner, got a taxi from the hotel, had a nice dinner, drinks, etc., and then came outside to get a taxi. One of the women pointed to the hotel and said, "that can't be more than a ten minute walk, come on, we can walk it", and because of the drinks and a bit of bravado, they walked.

Arrived at the hotel, minus jewelry, watches, wallets, hand bags, etc.

Like I said, we never went, just saying what the others told us when they returned. We had a great time, loved the place.

May have been the week that CW/AK were appointed - we played Huddersfield in some Under 23 (?) play off game.

DDG and Che Adams looked as though they couldn't be arsed.

I'm sure it wasn't long after when they were both shipped out.

Back
Top Bottom