Derby forum

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’ve just read the thread on that forum. Most of them put the Pigs down as bigger than them and a bigger fan base. Same category as Villa and Everton.

Rivalry aside I just can’t fathom why I read shit like that. Can someone explain to me, please, what I’m missing?

I genuinely cannot understand what they see when they put the Pigs down as a bigger club than just an average sized 2nd tier club. Four league titles when the world was in flickering black & white granted but so has Huddersfield.

Fan base keeps getting mentioned on that thread but does anybody actually have a look at historical attendances. If they bothered to they’d see that the Pigs are nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bang average club similar in size to many others.

It’s all just a self perpetuating myth. Fans read shit like that and accept on face value without checking and then go on to repeat it.

Credit to the Pigs though, they’ve somehow pulled of the illusion of the century, this and last.

No - because so many teams don’t treat it seriously. But good to see you continuing to fight the pig’s corner.

I'm fighting no pig corner. However, many people use this as the basis of an argument to the pigs - "it's not a proper trophy".

The winners gain access to the Europa League so i'd say it's a pretty major honour, wouldn't you?

I'm fighting no pig corner. However, many people use this as the basis of an argument to the pigs - "it's not a proper trophy".

The winners gain access to the Europa League so i'd say it's a pretty major honour, wouldn't you?
No. I thinks it’s a waste of time and should be scrapped.

It should be reverted to the Football League. Scrap the Paint Pot/Chuckaturd and let the 72 Championship/League One/League Two clubs compete for the League Cup. Bottom 16 of league two play round one then the 56 other clubs join the 8 winners of those ties for a standard one-leg knockout competition.

Deano Not sure how you can say teams don't take it seriously. Just because they rest players in it doesn't mean they don't. Unfortunately the big teams have the squad depth available to be able to do this.

Last 20 years list of winners of the League Cup:

Man City (6)
Man Utd (3)
Chelsea (3)
Spurs (2)
Liverpool (2)
Blackburn (1)
Boro (1)
Birmingham (1)
Swansea (1)

So 16 of 20 titles won by the big 6 who don't take it seriously o_O

I feel it was a major trophy up to the instigation of the Premiership. However, like a lots of things in the modern world, it has had its day and it's time to end it.

I was happier after Bouncing Day than any Wednesday fan has ever been ever that they're probably a bigger club than us.

Barnsley fans are currently much happier than Arsenal fans despite being tiny in comparison.

Dunt really mean owt.

That's why I hate the likes of Derby and Wednesday. All they talk about is history. Think they have a god given right to be in the top division. Leicester are way bigger than both of those wank clubs.

This is just what fans of shit clubs do. Invent some purely subjective table to how big they are to feel relevant. We did it a bit in League One. It's just fans trying to convince themselves it will be alright in the end.

None of the clubs in the second tier have won anything in 3, 4 or 5 decades. A couple haven't even been in the top flight for over 2 decades. Saying any of them are bigger than Leicester is absolutely insane.

I’ve just read the thread on that forum. Most of them put the Pigs down as bigger than them and a bigger fan base. Same category as Villa and Everton.

Rivalry aside I just can’t fathom why I read shit like that. Can someone explain to me, please, what I’m missing?

I genuinely cannot understand what they see when they put the Pigs down as a bigger club than just an average sized 2nd tier club. Four league titles when the world was in flickering black & white granted but so has Huddersfield.

Fan base keeps getting mentioned on that thread but does anybody actually have a look at historical attendances. If they bothered to they’d see that the Pigs are nothing out of the ordinary. Just a bang average club similar in size to many others.

It’s all just a self perpetuating myth. Fans read shit like that and accept on face value without checking and then go on to repeat it.

Credit to the Pigs though, they’ve somehow pulled of the illusion of the century, this and last.

I don't get it either, it has to be one of those strange urban myths to have people think they are a big club when they haven't managed to average 30,000 for the last 53 years or played at the top level in the last 21 years and counting.

OMG. You'd have thought they would and should be more focused on the 'here and now' and concentrating on this weekend's do or die game, rather than discussing the 'My dad's bigger than your dad' scenario. If the Derby squad have the same mentality, then I dread the result coming up.

No - because so many teams don’t treat it seriously. But good to see you continuing to fight the pig’s corner.
Most teams don't take the FA Cup seriously, is that not a major trophy?

A big factor regards size, is stadium capacity.....the normal rule is the bigger clubs have the bigger stadium capacities.
Another factor helps improve Wednesday size reputation is historically when ever they do have a massive/ historical game they tend to fill their stadium.

Appreciate that Wednesday core support isn’t anything special but they’ve historically had a reputation of having a big potential with many 1000’s of glory hunters waiting to come out of the woodwork. So their size reputation is mainly based on this difficult to prove factor called “potential”.

Not many people realise that historically both Derby and Forest were medium sized clubs with quite small fan bases.....no where near the support of either Sheffield club. Just after the war Notts County were pulling in bigger crowds than Forest and they still hold the record of having the highest average attendance in that city.

Derby’s fame comes from the early/ mid 1970’s when they one of the best teams in the league.
and Forest’s fame comes from their amazing achievements of the late 70’s....wining the league and 2 European Cups which earns them massive kudos.
I actuallly like and respect both clubs. I’d put Derby and Forest on a par with us...with similar support.
Put it this way you’d much rather have Derby and Forest in the PL compared to Brighton, Palace, Bournmouth, Fulham, Watford etc.

Last edited:
No Cardiff City or Swansea, then?

Frankly this bellend's assessment of 'Big and Proper' amounts to revealing himself to be a big and proper jizzlobber.

That shower of fuckers at S6 over us? I mean, we might be currently being shown the door in the PL but in reality, the truth tells it's own story that they are lower than whaleshit.

pommpey

Deano Not sure how you can say teams don't take it seriously. Just because they rest players in it doesn't mean they don't. Unfortunately the big teams have the squad depth available to be able to do this.

Last 20 years list of winners of the League Cup:

Man City (6)
Man Utd (3)
Chelsea (3)
Spurs (2)
Liverpool (2)
Blackburn (1)
Boro (1)
Birmingham (1)
Swansea (1)

So 16 of 20 titles won by the big 6 who don't take it seriously o_O

The League Cup is a major trophy.

Anyone who says it isn't is talking shit.

It's a joke with Wednesday about how old you need to have been to have bought a pint at a Prem game at Hillsborough. The answer is you'd need to be nearly 40. Or put it another way, how old were you in your earliest memories? Generally it's about 5-6 for any kind of reliable memory. So unless you're over 26 you have literally no memory of Wednesday as a top flight team. How many times have Derby been in the Prem in that period? Definitely spent more time out of it.

It's making a list of the biggest clubs in a sport and picking based on criteria that no one below their mid-late twenties has any idea about aside from a history book. Derby winning the European cup was 50 years ago. Maybe this is my youth talking (I'm only in my thirties, so my knowledge of who's a big team is clearly very limited) but thinking of Derby as a top club is a bit like thinking the Soviets are one of the world's super-powers.

If you want to know who's a big club then look at the last few years, maybe a bit more, but not fifty or sixty.

Not much I could argue with in that list based on historical data.

If you based it solely on data since the PL started, the list changes massively.
I’m actually quite flattered by our standing in that list. When you consider our lack of trophies in the modern era and a consistent top flight presence. But I would switch Derby out and put Leicester into the tier above.
I could possibly accept the pigs being in that tier if the list was compiled 30 odd years ago.

Back
Top Bottom