Defending Set Pieces

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
We've been atrocious at it all season. How can losing one player make every other player (McBurnie aside) incapable at tracking, marking of challenging in the air? It used to be a strength and it's now one of our greatest weaknesses. We have a less dominant keeper, admittedly, but we're losing every battle.

Thought we had finally resolved this issue...but last few games feels like any time opposition get an attacking set piece we're all over the shop again and looking likely to concede.

We conceded tonight from a set piece and i know we didn't have Egan but we also conceded against Coventry from a set piece .

Worrying as it's close to our best backline lately (barring Egan's suspension tonight)

Not sure if this is an immediate cause for concern but I don’t feel Wes has been as commanding since the return to action, post World Cup either.

Nothing absolutely atrocious but there are a few warning signs where you think “ok, not a howler, but for some keepers that may not have been a goal.”

Don’t get me wrong, he has set a high bar since coming into the side and he’s very much in credit, case in point on Saturday with the penalty save being crucial.

But even on Saturday for the goal, he got his hand to the ball and it wasn’t headed from close in. I did wonder whether he might have been a little disappointed with it. Same could be said for Wigan. Didn’t really use his feet much to get across his line which meant he was always stretching when he dived and just ended up palming it to their man.

Then yesterday he was absolutely nailed to his line and the ball ended up being tapped in on the goal line. It was headed to the back stick but he ended up in an awful position for it to be put in on the line and with him nowhere in the vicinity. Again not a howler but could his positioning and decision making have been better.

Then at the weekend and I think against Wigan I seem to recall his handling was far from ideal.

Recent performances have just started to raise a few concerns where you might be looking to upgrade this position if promoted whereas 4 months ago there may have been less of a nagging doubt.

Maybe it’s just me, but it’s good to keep an eye on these trends nice and early.

Not sure if this is an immediate cause for concern but I don’t feel Wes has been as commanding since the return to action, post World Cup either.

Nothing absolutely atrocious but there are a few warning signs where you think “ok, not a howler, but for some keepers that may not have been a goal.”

Don’t get me wrong, he has set a high bar since coming into the side and he’s very much in credit, case in point on Saturday with the penalty save being crucial.

But even on Saturday for the goal, he got his hand to the ball and it wasn’t headed from close in. I did wonder whether he might have been a little disappointed with it. Same could be said for Wigan. Didn’t really use his feet much to get across his line which meant he was always stretching when he dived and just ended up palming it to their man.

Then yesterday he was absolutely nailed to his line and the ball ended up being tapped in on the goal line. It was headed to the back stick but he ended up in an awful position for it to be put in on the line and with him nowhere in the vicinity. Again not a howler but could his positioning and decision making have been better.

Then at the weekend and I think against Wigan I seem to recall his handling was far from ideal.

Recent performances have just started to raise a few concerns where you might be looking to upgrade this position if promoted whereas 4 months ago there may have been less of a nagging doubt.

Maybe it’s just me, but it’s good to keep an eye on these trends nice and early.

Was going to mention this, Wes seems to be in a lull at the moment. Not doing anything majorly wrong but not at previous levels either and doesn't seem to be commanding his box as much.

Cracks showing in Foderingham's game recently, he's got to smarten up or the manager may step in.
Concerns, in my eyes, the way Blades played after the second goal, better team could have clawed it back and possibly won.
All game I sensed Blades had the edge, but never had total control, which I thought they should have had.

Cracks showing in Foderingham's game recently, he's got to smarten up or the manager may step in.
Concerns, in my eyes, the way Blades played after the second goal, better team could have clawed it back and possibly won.
All game I sensed Blades had the edge, but never had total control, which I thought they should have had.
This seems a recurring theme; the last four games have all ended with the opposition pushing us back and us hanging on to a greater or lesser extent.

However, four wins out of four games? So are we looking at this through blades tainted lenses or are we actually managing the games out well?

Honestly, I don’t know the and but good teams do this, so maybe we should give the team more credit?

There will be a time when we concede late, but let’s not over react as we’ve got into this position by playing this way so let’s keep it going.

One thing we can do is adjust our style to the game and opposition, so when we need to tough things out we do.

• Banned
This seems a recurring theme; the last four games have all ended with the opposition pushing us back and us hanging on to a greater or lesser extent.

However, four wins out of four games? So are we looking at this through blades tainted lenses or are we actually managing the games out well?

Honestly, I don’t know the and but good teams do this, so maybe we should give the team more credit?

There will be a time when we concede late, but let’s not over react as we’ve got into this position by playing this way so let’s keep it going.

One thing we can do is adjust our style to the game and opposition, so when we need to tough things out we do.
I think we'd all like to win games 4:0 but it's just not really feasible as we're not that good.

I am enjoying the fact we've scored 2 counter attacks on the bounce. Having some pace and skill in the team is giving us more attacking options.

Agree with Wes has looked shakey at moments since the World Cup.
Not too worried about the defending just yet, Madine would win the aerial battle against every defender in the league and probably the one above too

Was going to mention this, Wes seems to be in a lull at the moment. Not doing anything majorly wrong but not at previous levels either and doesn't seem to be commanding his box as much.

His distribution is very hit and miss too. We were allowing Blackpool to play the ball out last night but they weren't returning the favour and he often punts it out in to touch or we lose possession (perhaps not his fault) immediately after.

Fair comment about our defending but to be fair Blackpool were putting 3 players who were 6' 3" in the box whenever they could. One area where Berge could help out if the coaching staff gave him a few weeks intensive training on how to head a football and keep his eyes open while doing so.

Not having McBurnie defending set pieces is a big loss. Also the aerial drop off from Egan to Robinson is huge (not that Robinson is poor in the air, but not on Egan's level).
Fingers crossed things resolve when they're back.

Back
Top Bottom