CONFIRMED Dean Henderson returns on season long loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Take a listen from 13:35 ...bear in mind this was after 31 games into the season - Jay says he was ranked 14th in the Championship. Did Henderson suddenly become a better goalkeeper after the Villa game? I'd argue Wilder made us a lot more defensive-minded after this game and protected him from having much to do, other than routine saves. He won't be as well protected this season and will need to raise his game, otherwise we'll be relegated.

Crikey, I appreciate your dedication to digging that one out! So I will try and expand a bit.

Whether he became a better keeper or not after the Villa game is a moot point, but over the whole season he was very good. Yes, the Villa game coincided with us suddenly stopping conceding goals, of which he was a big part. Maybe the Villa game was a lesson for him, as it was for the rest of the team? Maybe that was the kick he needed to improve his play to the next level? Regardless, it seems more valuable to me to view the entire body of work with Henderson than just selectively choosing parts of the season. And I'm afraid you'll really struggle to convince me he had anything but a very good season with us last year.

I also think there's more to goalkeeping than just stopping shots, fwiw (which is what Jay is talking about with the 14th-ranked thing, post-Villa game). There are games in the back half of the season where he barely made a save but I think anyone watching would say he still had a good game because of his catching, positioning, distribution etc (and don't overlook that - a couple of mistakes aside, he is good on the ball for a young keeper).

He's not a goalkeeping messiah (but I guess he could become one?), just to be clear here. That's why I'd personally have some questions about blowing a big chunk of our budget on signing him permanently. But as I say, he showed himself to be a very good keeper in the Championship last season, and if we can get him for another year then we absolutely should.

Didn't he face less shots than any other Championship goalkeeper last season?! Most keepers in that division would have kept that many clean sheets with the way our defence performed.

Did you see him play in the England U21 tournament?! I'm guessing you didn't, let me summarise for you, he struggled.

Let's see how he gets on this season.
Sorry, I watched all three tragic games and I can’t agree with your summary. He made one horrendous error. The rest of his play was very good.

Sorry, I watched all three tragic games and I can’t agree with your summary. He made one horrendous error. The rest of his play was very good.
100% agree with you. In fact in 1 of the games he kept it from being a cricket score. We were appalling defensively in that tournament but the manager has to take some responsibility given the squad he had. Foden on the bench for example.

Crikey, I appreciate your dedication to digging that one out! So I will try and expand a bit.

Whether he became a better keeper or not after the Villa game is a moot point, but over the whole season he was very good. Yes, the Villa game coincided with us suddenly stopping conceding goals, of which he was a big part. Maybe the Villa game was a lesson for him, as it was for the rest of the team? Maybe that was the kick he needed to improve his play to the next level? Regardless, it seems more valuable to me to view the entire body of work with Henderson than just selectively choosing parts of the season. And I'm afraid you'll really struggle to convince me he had anything but a very good season with us last year.

I also think there's more to goalkeeping than just stopping shots, fwiw (which is what Jay is talking about with the 14th-ranked thing, post-Villa game). There are games in the back half of the season where he barely made a save but I think anyone watching would say he still had a good game because of his catching, positioning, distribution etc (and don't overlook that - a couple of mistakes aside, he is good on the ball for a young keeper).

He's not a goalkeeping messiah (but I guess he could become one?), just to be clear here. That's why I'd personally have some questions about blowing a big chunk of our budget on signing him permanently. But as I say, he showed himself to be a very good keeper in the Championship last season, and if we can get him for another year then we absolutely should.

I agree - there's a lot more to goalkeeping than shot stopping. I actually don't regard his shot stopping as his main weakness, though it needs to improve this season. I think he needs to work a lot on commanding his area. Despite what you've said about him catching crosses, I rarely see it happen - and when he does, he normally drops it on the first attempt. Having said all this, I don't think he's a bad goalkeeper and I do think he has potential for the future, for example - his distribution is probably the best we've seen from a goalkeeper at United...however as of right now, in my opinion, he's an average Championship standard goalkeeper - and an average Championship goalkeeper is not going to be good enough for us in the Premier League. We will, without doubt, be heavily reliant on our goalkeeper this season and his weaknesses will be exposed week in, week out.

My opinion won't be changed, and neither will yours...so lets agree to disagree and see what this season brings.

I agree - there's a lot more to goalkeeping than shot stopping. I actually don't regard his shot stopping as his main weakness, though it needs to improve this season. I think he needs to work a lot on commanding his area. Despite what you've said about him catching crosses, I rarely see it happen - and when he does, he normally drops it on the first attempt. Having said all this, I don't think he's a bad goalkeeper and I do think he has potential for the future, for example - his distribution is probably the best we've seen from a goalkeeper at United...however as of right now, in my opinion, he's an average Championship standard goalkeeper - and an average Championship goalkeeper is not going to be good enough for us in the Premier League. We will, without doubt, be heavily reliant on our goalkeeper this season and his weaknesses will be exposed week in, week out.

My opinion won't be changed, and neither will yours...so lets agree to disagree and see what this season brings.
Keeping the most clean sheets in the division doesn’t equate to being a ‘average championship keeper’

The only keeper better than him last season was Randolph, as the PFA votes showed. No one else comes close. A top drawer championship keeper.

Agree, it's all about next season and retaining our Prem status. that's the priority and we know that in Henderson we have a player hungry, eager to learn, and who will push himself and others when necessary. It's not complicated, if we can get DH for a further season then that's what we'll do. In the meantime, Wilder and company will be alert to the next permanent signing

So that defence in front of him take no confidence of him being there then . You could have been in goal and theyd be just as good. Your talking out your arse

It's because Hendo exudes confidence the defence take heart from it . They are all 25 % better with him being there. That's what a good keeper does. When called upon he does the job

You’ve clearly not read the whole post, I was quoting facts about him hardly having a thing to do away at Leeds and West Brom.

You must be talking out of your arse because you’ve then gone to to agree with my point,

I’ve already said that even if a goalie never touches the ball. Some goalies have such a presence they can give the defence confidence.
Arguably the goalie and the defender should be judged as a unit, not in isolation. My point was in isolation Henderson was very good but not great.
My view is that it was his winners mentality, and ultra confidence that made him special.

Some advise that we should be planning for the future more but we can worry about a new keeper after next season when our finances might be better.

Last edited:
I've read the Alan hodgkinson book , probably the best goalkeeping coach ever, and he states making saves is the last option, it's about organising your defence so you don't have to make saves. Henderson does this to great effect and I for one would love him back for our premier league games
This, this and this again.

I've read the Alan hodgkinson book , probably the best goalkeeping coach ever, and he states making saves is the last option, it's about organising your defence so you don't have to make saves. Henderson does this to great effect and I for one would love him back for our premier league games

Excellent point and i’m also heard tv pundits say that the best keepers (they named the Liverpool keeper Alisson) don’t often make great looking saves.
It’s because their positioning and anticipation is so good, that they make saves look easier than they would have been.

100%

That was the best area of his game by far. Even after mistakes he still gave the defence confidence and had the personality to try manage the defence in front of him. IMO.

Id say he made more mistakes than Blackman but is/was a better keeper.

To my mind that’s the difference between him and say George long who could make the saves but the defence had no confidence in him and we were defensively poor because of it.

I've read the Alan hodgkinson book , probably the best goalkeeping coach ever, and he states making saves is the last option, it's about organising your defence so you don't have to make saves.

Had a cup of tea with him in his Rugby bungalow a few years back (Mrs ISC was pally with his daughter when he lived in Todwick). Lovely bloke and even in his 70s he was still working part time at Manyoo, as Fergie trusted him so much.

Mrs H made a decent cup of tea although my memory fades on the biscuit selection offered.

RIP Hodgy

Marshall’s name has been mentioned in this thread...

He would have been a decent and cheap back-up keeper. He's better than Moore for a start.

Come on lad, it's time to sign for a club that wants you!!....Screenshot_20190710-104739_Chrome.jpg

I think Dean might actually be on holiday 😆

Just posted loads of pictures of himself from last season to his Instagram story, maybe a deal has been agreed?

Think it’s on! No other reason to post that!

And the last one is captioned "Once a Blade..." as though there should be a further post that hasn't been posted yet. Probably be days before we hear anything official though if it's anything like the "nearly there" Maupay situation 😂

Back
Top Bottom