CONFIRMED Dean Henderson returns on season long loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Someones being a bladey blade. Finding summit to fooking moan about

I've nothing against him personally, seems a nice kid. I'm judging Henderson solely on his abilities, and not how he celebrates goals or communicates via Twitter...whereas I don't believe most others are. What I saw from him last season was nothing special, and he'll have to be a lot better this season, otherwise we'll have no chance in stopping up.
I’ve not seen a single post on this thread that states we should sign Henderson solely for his passionate celebrations or social media activity, what I have seen is the clamour for his signature due to the superb saves he’s regularly made and the confidence he instils in his defenders.

You seem to have some sort of agenda against Deano and I for one find it rather strange. As mentioned previously, he’s barely going to cost us anything, other than a percentage of his wages. Also, there won’t be a huge fee involved to secure his services for the season, meaning we can focus our attention towards the top end of the pitch.

Surviving is without doubt the priority - I don't believe he's the goalkeeper we would achieve that with...you obviously do. Looks like you and many others will be getting your wish, so let's see how it works out. I hope I'm proved wrong, but right now, I regard this a really bad move for Sheffield United...a great move for Henderson though, he'll get that Premier League experience and be picking up 75k a week no matter what happens to us.
do you ever watch our games
he was outstanding in 40 plus games
he dropped one clanger v leeds granted, but they all do even de gea

we were promoted partly due to points he earnt with vital saves at leeds and west brom spring to mind
cant remember a better keeper at his age playing for us before
probably the best number 1 since Hodgkinson for consistency

Didn't he face less shots than any other Championship goalkeeper last season?! Most keepers in that division would have kept that many clean sheets with the way our defence performed.

Did you see him play in the England U21 tournament?! I'm guessing you didn't, let me summarise for you, he struggled.

Let's see how he gets on this season.

Genuine question...

Are you a pig?

In 46 games last season he conceded 41... is that good? You can't dismiss his clean sheets etc because he played behind a great Blades defence, and then criticise him for conceding 9 in 3 behind a poor England one that also gave away multiple penalties and scored a shocking own goal as he was about to collect the ball.

Is it good when put up against the amount of shots he faced last season? You tell me, you're the stat man...on one of your podcasts, you stated his stats would suggest he's an average Championship goalkeeper.

Fuck Deano and his top drawer saves that gained us points, he's wank, didn't even save the shots that weren't taken against us.

Didn't he face less shots than any other Championship goalkeeper last season?! Most keepers in that division would have kept that many clean sheets with the way our defence performed.

Did you see him play in the England U21 tournament?! I'm guessing you didn't, let me summarise for you, he struggled.

Regarding the point about facing least amount of shots, how often does a keeper have little to do and then drops a bollock. Shows concentration and discipline.... good qualities in a goalkeeper

we've Missed the boat for signing hendo for say £6m. His value is at least double that from man u’s perspective now so we’ll have to see how this loan goes.
Except that he's never wanted to come here on a permanent basis so even if we had £60m to spend on a keeper he still wouldn't be here.

His ambition is to play for Man Ure and he would be unlikely to achieve that by moving elsewhere.

Except that he's never wanted to come here on a permanent basis so even if we had £60m to spend on a keeper he still wouldn't be here.

His ambition is to play for Man Ure and he would be unlikely to achieve that by moving elsewhere.
Exactly this.

Henderson has never encouraged a permanent move. It’s never been on the table. Why people constantly discuss this I don’t know.

Is it good when put up against the amount of shots he faced last season? You tell me, you're the stat man...on one of your podcasts, you stated his stats would suggest he's an average Championship goalkeeper.

I can't remember everything I've ever said but I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of them. I gave him 9/10 on my post-season player ratings. We did say that Blackman and Moore were average Championship keepers if that helps.

FWIW if you're interested in stats, we drastically underperformed our Expected Goals Against in 2017/18 - we were theoretically very good defensively, gave up very few shots, yet conceded a lot of goals relative to that with Moore and Blackman. In 2018/19 we were also very good defensively and gave up very few shots, but this time we conceded way way less and kept a ton of clean sheets. Could be dumb luck, could be that Henderson is a really good goalkeeper who was able to keep out the 1-2 difficult shots he faced in most games where our previous keepers couldn't.

Personally I'm struggling with the idea that he's anything but a very good keeper, and one who might be available to us for essentially nothing for a whole season whereas we either go with Simon Moore or spend probably ~£10m on eg Darren Randolph, which - given our relatively limited budget - sounds like a terrible idea right now. In 12 months if we're still in the Premier League? Different story.

But if you don't think Henderson is very good then fair enough, I doubt I'll convince you otherwise based on your last few posts :)

You seem to have some sort of agenda against Deano and I for one find it rather strange. As mentioned previously, he’s barely going to cost us anything, other than a percentage of his wages. Also, there won’t be a huge fee involved to secure his services for the season, meaning we can focus our attention towards the top end of the pitch.
I'll stand up for Captain Obvious here. I don't think he's got an agenda against Henderson, or is a pig. Just another who thinks it makes him a smartarse to roll his eyes at everything and mistakes negativity for wisdom. No agenda, not a pig, just son of Pinchy

....but these goalkeepers won't be available to us next season if we get relegated, which is why I'd go for them now.

CW has a limited budget. I don’t believe he will be especially thinking about relegation beyond the fact that the possibility of relegation is what limits his budget.
I am sure he will want to continue to play positive football. I am sure he will want to do that with a stronger attacking line up than we have now.
To my way of thinking this is why CW seems to be buying forwards and loaning a keeper.

I'll stand up for Captain Obvious here. I don't think he's got an agenda against Henderson, or is a pig. Just another who thinks it makes him a smartarse to roll his eyes at everything and mistakes negativity for wisdom. No agenda, not a pig, just son of Pinchy

There's no relation 😄 I'm certainly not voicing my opinion to be contrary. Anyway, I've said my piece, I'm not going to carry on in case it gets misconstrued as a personal attack on the boy. I hope I'm wrong and he's better than I think he is, we'll find out this season.

Brutal. Think I'd rather be called a pig.

Third lowest shots faced, but in the same range as the rest of the top 6.

141 to 189 is the range in the top 6, From Leeds to Norwich who were quite bad at the back, Henderson faced 155.

Second highest percentage saved, 73.5% of shots on target saved, Randolph 76.3%.

Golden glove too.

So no he didn't.

For those of you who are concerned regarding Moore as a back up keeper.......well don’t forget, we’ve now got Jags so we’re more than covered in the goalkeeping department.

Great thinking from Wilder, send Eastwood out and bring Jags in. 👍

we were promoted partly due to points he earnt with vital saves at leeds and west brom spring to mind

Leeds didn’t have a single shot on target
Also West Brom hardly had any shots on target too.

Agree that he spread himself well and blocked a clear chance for West Brom in the last minute, excellent save.
But in both games the defence was very busy, however Henderson hardly had anything to do.

The clear advantage of taking Henderson on loan is it frees up money that can be spent in other areas (like up front).
Also goalkeeping is also about being a unit with the defence and giving them confidence.
So if our defence have kept clean sheets then even if Henderson did little, he still deserves credit.

The only reason you wouldn't take Hendo on this season is if his loan fee / wages were extortionate, OR Man Utd play silly bollox with releasing him to us until late in the day and we cant wait any longer.

The latter us my sole concern re Hendo, and even then we should look at other keepers as alternatives.

Other than that, you would have to be a fkin lunatic not to have him in the squad next season if the chance made itself available.

He will do a top job for us next season, circumstances permitting.

Leeds didn’t have a single shot on target
Also West Brom hardly had any shots on target too.

Agree that he spread himself well and blocked a clear chance for West Brom in the last minute, excellent save.
But in both games the defence was very busy, however Henderson hardly had anything to do.

The clear advantage of taking Henderson on loan is it frees up money that can be spent in other areas (like up front).
Also goalkeeping is also about being a unit with the defence and giving them confidence.
So if our defence have kept clean sheets then even if Henderson did little, he still deserves credit.
So that defence in front of him take no confidence of him being there then . You could have been in goal and theyd be just as good. Your talking out your arse

It's because Hendo exudes confidence the defence take heart from it . They are all 25 % better with him being there. That's what a good keeper does. When called upon he does the job

Henderson will be in’t net for us next year, but it will be a real true test of his capability.

Last season, as many have alluded to wasn’t a true test of his abilities. Our defence were superb, they protected Henderson and reduced shots to an absolute minimum. Nonetheless, the golden gloves award and apparent miserly goal conceded stats were the perfect base upon which to open negotiations for a new contract at Man Utd.

Mark my words, if he signs again this year, he will have to produce on the pitch. All the goal celebrations and badge punching in the world will not endear him to the Blades if he proves to be not up to the job. I’m still not convinced about him to be honest, but I hope I’m wrong.

GLTTL 🤞🏻

For those of you who are concerned regarding Moore as a back up keeper.......well don’t forget, we’ve now got Jags so we’re more than covered in the goalkeeping department.

Great thinking from Wilder, send Eastwood out and bring Jags in. 👍

A lot is being made of Jags utility as a keeper. I don't know if anyone has seen him play in goal, I have, some years ago under Warnock. My heart was in my mouth. He may be a better prospect in goal than most of the other outfield players, but he is not of a professional standard goalkeeper. Alan Woodward could also deputise in goal as a keeper. Again, he wasn't bad for a makeshift keeper, but it would be stretching credibility to suggest that we could have relied on him. Same with Jags. I think we should accept we've brought him in for back-up as a central defender and to boost the Bladey-Bladeyness value of the club.

Etheridge
Westwood
Randolph
Johnstone
Marshall
McCarthy
Butland - not sure how long he has left on his contract, but most likely out of our price range.
The long term goalkeeping situation can wait for now we have a class goalie on loan.
It's more important to sort our striker situation as we are well short in that area. We need to stay up the goalie situation will wait till next season.

I can't remember everything I've ever said but I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of them. I gave him 9/10 on my post-season player ratings. We did say that Blackman and Moore were average Championship keepers if that helps.

But if you don't think Henderson is very good then fair enough, I doubt I'll convince you otherwise based on your last few posts :)

Take a listen from 13:35 ...bear in mind this was after 31 games into the season - Jay says he was ranked 14th in the Championship. Did Henderson suddenly become a better goalkeeper after the Villa game? I'd argue Wilder made us a lot more defensive-minded after this game and protected him from having much to do, other than routine saves. He won't be as well protected this season and will need to raise his game, otherwise we'll be relegated.

Take a listen from 13:35 ...bear in mind this was after 31 games into the season - Jay says he was ranked 14th in the Championship. Did Henderson suddenly become a better goalkeeper after the Villa game? I'd argue Wilder made us a lot more defensive-minded after this game and protected him from having much to do, other than routine saves. He won't be as well protected this season and will need to raise his game, otherwise we'll be relegated.

If you think this is what CW did do you believe CW would really want DH back in the team in the PL knowing he needed extra protection?

Back
Top Bottom